Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 1999, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Is the princeville a member of starwood hotels? Anyone ever been to this hotel? Comments? Compared to the Hyatt in Kauai?
Old Jul 19, 1999, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
On my trip to Kauai about a year ago I couldn't decide between the Princeville and the Hyatt Kauai. So I stayed at both. I would say they are both very different and it depends on what you are looking for. If you are a big golfer (which I am not), I believe the Princeville has the better and more prestigious courses. It is all around a very prestigious property. A lot of gold and marble and beautiful sunsets. The Hyatt has more "action", the pool are is gigantic and a fun playground, with a stream like pool meandering down the "hillside". It also has a waterslide and a lagoon.

The Princeville's poolside by comparison is rather boring, although simple and elegant. I could write pages and pages describing both, but if you have specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them. The weather is definetely better on the Hyatt side of the island.
Old Jul 22, 1999, 9:28 am
Original Member

If you are a golfer, there is a big difference between the Princeville golf courses and the Poipu Bay course at the Hyatt.

Princeville is more lush, is it gets more rain, whereas, Poipu tends to have better weather. Both are at extreme ends of the island, with Princeville on the north and Poipu on the south...
Old Jul 26, 1999, 8:13 am

A friend of mine once told me that Princeville is where God goes on vacation. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. Sitting in The Living Room lounge with a pint and a cigar, watching the rain strike the large windows, seeing the sun break through the clouds over Bali Hai - incredible. The people are wonderful, the Prince Jr. Ste. is a great deal. Super romantic, I wouldn't take my kids there. I'm not a golfer but everyone says the golf is great.
Old Aug 9, 1999, 11:01 am

Location: North Carolina (AA Million Miler, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver)
Skip Princeville unless you want a "country club" atmosphere. The Hyatt is relaxed and fun, the Princeville resort is elegant and fancy.

That's my personal taste though. We stayed at Hyatt and drove up to that part of the island to sight see and snorkel.

If you are a big snorkeler, there is a VERY cool snorkel site in Princeville, near the resort, in the residential community. You park near a house at the end of Kapiolani Road.

Hike down about 100 feet vertical and 300-400 yards to your left to The Queen's Bath, which is a naturally protected pool located about 10 feet above the surface of the ocean. It traps ocean water which is constantly replenished from the crashing waves below. Water (and critters/fish) splash in but can't get out very well.

The day my wife and I hiked it there were a couple of young kids and their Moms down there, and they wondered how in the world we knew to come there.

All oceanfront and beaches are public in Hawaii, so it's totally OK (just embarassing) to park and walk down the path. Put up with the dirty looks and enjoy.

The pool is about 20 feet deep. It is SO cool.

If you can't find it, the ocean isn't cooperating. Best at low tide.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 3:19 am

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closing 2008 [Master Thread]

Mrs LIH Prem "won" a 2 night stay at the Princeville Hotel at a local charity auction so we finally decided to use it this weekend. Though we've stayed at the Marriott before we moved here, and stayed at the Hyatt since moving here, and used the facilities and restaurants at the Princeville, we've never stayed overnight before this weekend.

Initially, we tried to reserve the rooms for Friday and Saturday night, however, Friday night was sold out (which is a good sign) so we opted for Saturday and Sunday night.

I believe the certificate was good for a standard garden view room, however, I provided my SPG Platinum number when I called and we were upgraded to a beautiful Ocean View Junior Suite. The extra long room had a comfy oversized king bed and a pop-up TV located in the bedroom area. The room's lanai was on the ground level, and we were on the far right side of the hotel (when facing the bay), overlooking beautiful Hanalei Bay.

The ammenity provided was a very nice Princeville Hotel hard cover notebook and a set of note cards and a personally signed thank you card from the hotel.

We enjoyed the beautiful pool, took advantage of the sushi bar in the library bar both nights and enjoyed the Sunday Brunch.

Our stay confirms what others here have said, that the Princeville Hotel is a class act. Thank you for an enjoyable stay and the nice treatment we received.

-David
Old Oct 18, 2001, 10:19 pm

David,

My wife and I are planning to go there from Dec. 13-15th. Howz the weather during this time and what are my chances of an upgrade? I was thinking of booking it through the internet using my points or calling the Platinum desk and have them book it. In addition, will be bringing my 18 month old so don't know if they have child care services. We plan on staying using my Hilton pts at the Waikoloa Village and then heading it to Kaui for 2 days. Any advice would be great.
Old Oct 20, 2001, 5:07 am

Yes, the concierge will be able to arrange a sitter for you if you need one. At 18 months, the Princeville is still a good choice. For bigger kids, I'd go with the Hyatt (camp hyatt and the water slide) or the Marriott (also has a kids program), but none of them have programs for 18 month old kids.

The weather? Probably low - mid 80's in the daytime, low - mid 70's at night. It will be sunny part of the time, cloudy part of the time with some showers. Don't let that stop you either .. that's the way it is here most of the time.

-David
Old Oct 20, 2001, 7:33 am

The leeward side of an island usually has the best weather, especially in the winter.

Kauai is no exception. Popui tends to be a lot drier and less windy in the winter than Princeville.

The hotels poorman's Versailles like decor was popular in the sixties. It's no accident that it sits alone up there.

The best hotel on Kauai is undoubtedly the Hyatt at Poipu. It's all a modern resort should be.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 1:15 pm

This is a great property, and I note you posted in the Hyatt fourm about the Hyatt Kauai. The 2 hotels differ greatly, the Princeville is secluded, and rather mellow. The Hyatt is larger with pools and waterfalls. The beach next the the Hyatt (Poipu) is wonderful, but the beach at the Princeville is fair (lots of rocks). The view from the Princeville is to die for, and if you can get a jr. suite, the bath tub's view of the ocean and mountains are incredible! Depending on what you want, Princeville is more romantic and elegant, the Hyatt is a HUGE resort property.

Old Jan 10, 2002, 4:02 pm

I have stayed a both properties several previous times. Yes, they are quite different but, so is the geography and weather between Princeville and Poipu. All of the previous posts are correct. Keep in mind that both are excellent properties. If you have specific questions, feel free to e-mail me.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 1:34 pm

Just think about it. The only major hotel in the north is Princeville. All the other hotels are on the leeward side of the island.

Virtually all tourism on islands is on the leeward side for obvious reasons. Sun and calm.

Club Med had a hotel up around Princeville many years ago. It was closed down because of the wind.

The only good thing you can say about Princeville is that it's quite.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 8:52 am

audia4boy and edg1: The Princeville Resort is a gorgeous resort located, as others have mentioned, in a somewhat isolated part of Kauai. If either you and/or your fiancées hit the little white ball around, you have hit the mother lode. I believe all rooms have wonderful views of the ocean, and the pool area (a large “infinity style” pool) also has the same great views. The beach is beautiful, albeit a little rocky. Don’t forget to stretch out on the hammocks tied between coconut palms on the edge of the beach! Very romantic!

I agree with orix, this is a great honeymoon property. Have a great time!

cethen
Old Jan 13, 2002, 12:34 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, America West Silver
Keep in mind that the leeward side is NOT at all calm in the winter. I stayed on the northern part in July and it was perfectly calm. Tunnels beach is incredible for snorkeling!
Old Jan 14, 2002, 4:10 am

Doug Wilson (The Makai Guy) has a nice little North Shore Kauai page if you're looking for more information on the North Shore.

Makai Guy's North Shore Kauai Tour

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.