Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Princeville Hotel, Hawaii - closed Sept 08 for renov; reopens 10/09 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have gotten the specialty suites on occassion (I go there annually roughly, about 10 times in 14 years), but it's been very rare.

Don't underestimate the number of times those few one bedroom suites are booked, by couples honeymooning among others.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:31 am
DH

I'm staying at Princeville now on points, as Gold, I got upgraded to partial ocean view on 6th floor. Since I didn't expect anything, I was a bit surprised.

BTW, this is my second upgrade ever as Gold.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by DH
I'm staying at Princeville now on points, as Gold, I got upgraded to partial ocean view on 6th floor. Since I didn't expect anything, I was a bit surprised.

BTW, this is my second upgrade ever as Gold.
There are very few Garden View rooms at the Princeville. I wanna say that 90%+ of the rooms there are Partial Ocean View or better and almost 20% of the rooms are Suites.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:30 am

Oh yeah, and FWIW, I've been to the Princeville 3 times in the past year (2 points and 1 paid stay) and each time I've been upgraded to a Jr. Suite as SPG Plat.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS 1K
New Platinum Upgrade for 10th Question

Mr. Wine1K and I are staying at the Princeville in May for our 10th anniversary. When I booked the room using points a month ago we both had no status and there were only garden/mountain view rooms left for 80k points for 5 nights. I tried to fork over more points but the upgraded rooms were sold out.

Last week we followed the advice of other FT posters and matched Mr. Wine1K's HH Diamond status for SPG Platinum in the hopes for an upgrade at P'ville and to check out SPG as an alternative to HH - starting next week in NY. HH has always provided great upgrades, etc.

So now that he is a Plat, what are chances for an upgrade? to a Junior Suite from a garden/mountain?

Should I call Plat Concierge to see if we could fork over more points for a better room level room to upgrade?

Also, might be off topic, but has anyone ever done the Romantic Dinner in the beach at the P'ville? I'm trying to book it and have read rave reviews elsewhere but trust FT more.

Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Wine1K
Mr. Wine1K and I are staying at the Princeville in May for our 10th anniversary. When I booked the room using points a month ago we both had no status and there were only garden/mountain view rooms left for 80k points for 5 nights. I tried to fork over more points but the upgraded rooms were sold out.

Last week we followed the advice of other FT posters and matched Mr. Wine1K's HH Diamond status for SPG Platinum in the hopes for an upgrade at P'ville and to check out SPG as an alternative to HH - starting next week in NY. HH has always provided great upgrades, etc.

So now that he is a Plat, what are chances for an upgrade? to a Junior Suite from a garden/mountain?

Should I call Plat Concierge to see if we could fork over more points for a better room level room to upgrade?

Also, might be off topic, but has anyone ever done the Romantic Dinner in the beach at the P'ville? I'm trying to book it and have read rave reviews elsewhere but trust FT more.

Thanks.
I hope you’ve contacted the hotel directly, via email, to let them know you’re coming for an anniversary. Most hotels will try to make the stay special, just like the occasion.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:23 am
Y'z

I am curious when the hotel will be converting to St. Regis. Will the hotel be closed due to extensive renovation for a while like St. Regis DC is doing? Does someone have info?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:19 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Y'z
I am curious when the hotel will be converting to St. Regis. Will the hotel be closed due to extensive renovation for a while like St. Regis DC is doing? Does someone have info?
According to the hotel itself, they will not be closing on a temporary basis and anticipate that they will be open during the entire time renovations are ongoing.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
According to the hotel itself, they will not be closing on a temporary basis and anticipate that they will be open during the entire time renovations are ongoing.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
William,

Do you have any more details on the renovation such as dates of construction and when Princeville will be "officially" branded as a St. Regis? We are thinking of heading there in the spring/summer of '08 and want to have an idea of what to expect. Thanks!
Old May 28, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I've just posted a review of the Princeville Resort in the Hawaii forum (it is a comparison of the Hilton Kauai with the Princeville, so it doesn't belong here.) However, I'm linking it in case anyone will find it useful to read. It has descriptions of the Princeville rooms and services, and some of the fees.

Comparison of Princeville Resort and Hilton Kauai
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Princeville Resort, Kauai-Need advice

I was thinking of using Starpoints to take my parents to Kauai for their anniversary in December. I have read mixed reviews of the Princeville Resort. Specifically, people complain about the condition of the rooms and feel the property is "tired" and in need of renovation. I know that it will soon undergo a renovation and be switched to a St. Regis, but if anyone has been there recently can you comment on the following:
1- The OceanView King rooms: Any feedback would be appreciated.
2- The fitness room: Old or updated equipment? Do they have a Precor elliptical trainer?
3- The location: Am concerned that this is the rainy side of the island, and December tends to be rainier. Should I be concerned about having gloomy rainy days most of the time that I'm there?
4- The service.
5- The food.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by wedding96; Jul 12, 2007 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
I was just there last week and found the property to be beautiful. We stayed
in a mountainview which is what you will get with points unless you upgrade.
I am gold but did not receive an upgrade - the hotel was full. We loved
our room, the view was breathtaking and you could see the water from the
the balcony. Most OV rooms have no balcony.
I cannot comment on December weather, someone else could help you more
on that. I found the service very good. The food was very good but
expensive (no surprise). Someone was always there to get your drink, car,
extra towels whatever. We enjoyed our stay and did not think it was
rundown at all. The carpet could be replaced and you noticed a few nicks
in the walls that had been hit by luggage carts but the hotel is still classy
and beautiful. The pool is very pretty but I did not use the health club room.
The spa is off site, there is a shuttle to take you there but that was a bit
of a hassel so I didn't bother using it. They were very helpful with reservations etc. You'll love it!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:04 am
cxn

Originally Posted by slippahs
The best pool is IMHO not at a *wood hotel, but the Grand Wailea on Maui has the best pool probably in the entire State.

Again, not *wood related, but just to answer your question, the best hotel for kids would probably be the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Enclosed lagoon for snorkeling as well as their DolphinQuest program and the monorail/boat transportation system.

Kauai is really not your hip-hop island for kids, so the Hotels don't emulate those qualities. I'd either go with Oahu or Maui if you're going with children.
Bumping this up again. From looking around, looks like the best hotel for us would be the princeville. Yes, I know it isnt perfect for kids, but seems they have a better pool.

My wife wants to hit Kauai next so we are now planning everything.

thanks
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by cxn
Bumping this up again. From looking around, looks like the best hotel for us would be the princeville. Yes, I know it isnt perfect for kids, but seems they have a better pool.

My wife wants to hit Kauai next so we are now planning everything.

thanks
IMHO, the Princeville is not at all better in terms of pool nor for kids. I'd say the Sheraton Kauai is better in both of those categories. And I'd definitely say the Grand Hyatt Kauai (mentioned a few posts above) is better in both of those categories as well. If you can find availability with the $249 stay certs there, you're much better off staying ther IMHO. Honestly, the Hilton Kauai (which can be had for a ~$100 Entertainment rate lately it seems) also has a better pool than Princeville.

The only thing the pool at Princeville has going for it is the fabulous infinity-edge view looking out over Hanalei Bay (admittedly that is a lot going for it). Oh yeah.............and the employees that come around with chilled towels and pineapple wedges aren't too bad either. Princeville is a great place to go for a romantic stay/splurge with the wifey, but I'd definitely say there are far better places on Kauai if you are looking for good pools and properties for kids. Plus if you choose another property, your wallet and/or SPG balance will thank you since the Princeville is quite pricey compared to other Kauai options...........................
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:35 pm
cxn

Thanks for the information. Two items:

1) We would go on points or a time share deal
2) Those cooled towels sound mighty nice, just like what we had in Bali!

Thanks for the information. I need to have a sit down with the wife and discuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.