Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2500 Bonus Points for Additional SPG Cardholder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2500 Bonus Points for Additional SPG Cardholder

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:12 pm

Great link. Now it does not say anything about 2,500 points. Did it use to prior to 9/30/6?

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I called and asked. No idea. She asked supervisor, who asked manager. They said they could not sign me up, but gave me this link. This, they said, will kick in the 2,500 points (for the first card only) once it has been used to make a purchase.

Last edited by best; Oct 8, 2006 at 10:19 am
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:41 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by best
Great link. Now it does not say anything about 2,500 points. Did it used to prior to 9/30/6?
I used that link prior to 9/30/06 and it said nothing about 2,500 Starpoints then either. But, I took a chance, and lo and behold, 2,500 Starpoints ended up in my account less than 10 days later.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I used that link prior to 9/30/06 and it said nothing about 2,500 Starpoints then either. But, I took a chance, and lo and behold, 2,500 Starpoints ended up in my account less than 10 days later.
so does that mean i should give it a try?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by sfducati
so does that mean i should give it a try?
LOL. Use it at your own risk. After all, what do you have to lose by trying?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:59 pm

LOL. Use it at your own risk. After all, what do you have to lose by trying?
true, true
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:53 pm

After all, what do you have to lose by trying?
Sometimes you can negate future offers by doing something "too early."
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Sometimes you can negate future offers by doing something "too early."
Maybe...but frankly...IMHO, I don't ever see AMEX offering more than 2,500 Starpoints for adding someone to your primary cardmember account. I think history will bear that out and that most of the time they offer nothing at all.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:23 pm

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting the bonus could go up.

Let's say you add a cardholder now but you get no bonus. Then next year AMEX sends targetted offers again. The person you added is already a cardholder. Therefore you can't get a bonus for adding that person. In that sense there is "something to lose."
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting the bonus could go up.

Let's say you add a cardholder now but you get no bonus. Then next year AMEX sends targetted offers again. The person you added is already a cardholder. Therefore you can't get a bonus for adding that person. In that sense there is "something to lose."
I guess I don't follow. If you don't get the bonus, wouldn't you call them to get the person removed as an addition to your primary account, thus leaving open the possibility to add them at a future date? I would have.

But, if the person is already a cardmember anyway, that might kill the deal anyway. Only AMEX would know that.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:38 pm

You're right. I suppose AMEX doesn't keep track of previous cardholders so there's nothing to lose. Sorry. This just reminded me of other cases where I became ineligible for something and couldn't fix it.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:44 pm

I guess I don't follow. If you don't get the bonus, wouldn't you call them to get the person removed as an addition to your primary account, thus leaving open the possibility to add them at a future date? I would have.

But, if the person is already a cardmember anyway, that might kill the deal anyway. Only AMEX would know that.
Well, I can only speak of personal experience.

Mrs Extra has a SPG Amex (of course). Her 1 year anniversary came up, and we decided to not renew her card (she wasn't using it enough to justify, I use mine for most everything). 2 days later, I received the offer for 2500 points for 2nd card holder on my account. I was worried, but applied anyway for hers.

Received the points, everything is cool (at least until Amex reads this thread).

Incidentally, a question to Lurker - how could you have allowed Starwood to change the coloring of the card to such an awful color. I'm proud to use my silver card here in Austin, but I don't know if I can bear to carry a maroon one around with me - especially close to campus.

Extra
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by ExtraInRedShirt
...Incidentally, a question to Lurker - how could you have allowed Starwood to change the coloring of the card to such an awful color. I'm proud to use my silver card here in Austin, but I don't know if I can bear to carry a maroon one around with me - especially close to campus.

Extra
LOL. Yeah. Burnt orange would have been a lot more aesthetically pleasing, no? Hook'em! \_/

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
FWIW, last month got a new card and after receiving it called the 800 number to get the account opened over the phone, as is the standard practice for CC's. The CSR offered me the 2500 points for an additional card, so I signed up my wife. She hasn't yet called in to open the account--she's not as enamored with points as I am, except when we use them for vacations!--so I can't say for sure whether it all works out for the 2500 points.
Just to follow up on this, the 2500 points just posted to my account without my wife even activating the card. And she already had her own Starwood Amex card.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The link has room for more than one additional card holder.

I wonder if I'd get points for co-signing for both my wife and for her sister (who lives with us)?

Here is the link to check on the status of one's application.

https://www201.americanexpress.com/e...ck/welcome.jsp
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Maybe...but frankly...IMHO, I don't ever see AMEX offering more than 2,500 Starpoints for adding someone to your primary cardmember account. I think history will bear that out and that most of the time they offer nothing at all.
I think has shown that they do add to the spending total...AMEX has been offering these kind of promos for quite some time...they have an extensive history and they must show that more cardholders = more $$ charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.