Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the advice! Should be interesting to see how busy the place is in the wake of the airport take-over and whether that might influence villa upgrade charge$ (if the villas are even available).
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:51 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
We're planning a week here in April. The suite we had last year had a small kitchen. Doe the villas have kitchens at all?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
the two residences certainly have kitchens, don't think that the standard villas do
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:45 am
Community Director Emerita

My ocean front villa did not have a kitchen.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:32 am

Thanks! Planning on being there April 2-9 the wife and 2 kids and figure the kitchen will be useful. If the villas don't have kitchens then I'm better off with a suite.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:57 am

If you must go, get the Deluxe 1-bedroom or Deluxe 2-bedroom villa for sure. At around $400 or so a night, the price is just too little not to experience the deluxe villa. A week would be too boring staying in the main hotel anyway.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...ai-royals.html

Last edited by Colin; Feb 3, 2009 at 7:35 am
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Colin
If you must go, get the Deluxe 1-bedroom or Deluxe 2-bedroom villa for sure. At around $400 or so a night, the price is just too little not to experience the deluxe villa. A week would be too boring staying in the main hotel anyway.
Not sure why we'd be less bored in the main hotel then in a villa. Perhaps I'm missing something. Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks for the advice but $400/night is a bit more than I'm considering spending and the kitchen is important. The options I am considering are the following:
  1. 14K points for two connecting deluxe rooms. (2 x 7K)
  2. 14K points for a suite with a kitchen and adding THB 1450 for an extra bed in the living room.
  3. 14K points for a suite with a kitchen plus C&P $45 + 2800 points for and adjoining second room. Since $45 ~=THB 1450 I guess this one is almost a no-brainer though I guess if the kids are in the same suite as us their breakfast will be included whereas if they are in their own room it might not be included.

The deluxe rooms normally go for THB 7500. I could use my Starwood Privilege certificate to get one of the rooms for 4 nights for THB 3500 / night.

The suite normally goes for THB 10,300 / night.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:42 am

It's an isolated area, 20 minutes from a totally forgetable highway town. There is nothing to do except the resort. The non-Thai food is awful. The wine list is horrid and insanely priced. There are no motorized water sports. What makes a vacation to the LM KL worth the effort is the special experience of staying in a an oceanfront villa with a private pool, steps from the water, for only a few hundred dollars a night when a similar experience in Maldives, South Pacific, the Med or Carrib. would cost $2000+/night. If you don't want or can't afford such an experience, don't go to this resort. Go to Crete or Cyprus or Turkey closer to home and it will be the exact same resort experience. If you do not want to support freedom, modernity, and civil liberty by supporting Harry Nicolaides and insist of going to Thailand, then just stay a a resort in Patong to at least have something to do outside the resort.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Colin
It's an isolated area, 20 minutes from a totally forgetable highway town. There is nothing to do except the resort. The non-Thai food is awful. The wine list is horrid and insanely priced. There are no motorized water sports. What makes a vacation to the LM KL worth the effort is the special experience of staying in a an oceanfront villa with a private pool, steps from the water, for only a few hundred dollars a night when a similar experience in Maldives, South Pacific, the Med or Carrib. would cost $2000+/night. If you don't want or can't afford such an experience, don't go to this resort. Go to Crete or Cyprus or Turkey closer to home and it will be the exact same resort experience.
Ah, yeah, I see your point. We were there in August last year and really enjoyed ourselves. We also stayed last year at the LM Phuket which is in the Patong area and didn't like it too much. We will rent a car like we did last year to be able to get out of the resort and get around easily. There are lots of waterfalls and parks and the like in the area to go and see. We only visited one last year but this year we'll visit more with the kids. Heading out for lunch at one of the nice 'restaurants' along the roadside will be good to break up the day. I expect it will be a nice relaxing week after a week spent running around up north in the Chiang Mai/Rai area.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile_Atlas)

Originally Posted by yosithezet
We're planning a week here in April. The suite we had last year had a small kitchen. Doe the villas have kitchens at all?
Only the 2 largest villas have a kitchen. There also a 5 bedroom house that is normally a 30 day minimum, but I think that is negtiable.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jan 28, 2009 at 2:22 am
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:19 am

Just checked the website... The place looks gorgeous!
We intend a trip in march and all room/suite/villas categories are available for the moment.

However I was a bit surprised not to see all types on display on the SPG web site. I had to call the European Reservations to get info about suites and some villa types, and the agent said to me that that it was deliberate...
However he was able to supply me with the requested info/pricing.

Or maybe those types of suites/villas are kept "in stock" for Platinum guests upon arrival???
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:53 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
I'm thinking about booking an Oceanfront Villa for our next stay at Le Meridien Khao Lak. The description of the villas at spg.com says the following;

All villa guests enjoy exclusive benefits, including personal butler service and choices of a la carte breakfast by the lagoon or buffet breakfast at Cafe Lilawadee. (80 – 585 square metres)
Does this mean that all rates for a villa include breakfast as well? I wonder because they also offer special rates for that kind of room with breakfast included
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:27 am

No. Not all villa guests get free breakfast. The sentence means that it your rate includes breakfast, then villa guests can take it either at the Thai restuarant or the buffet restaurant.

The restaurant breakfasts are somewhat expensive at USD25/person.

But, the in-room a-la-carte breakfasts are ridiculously cheap. Like 10 bucks for bacon, eggs, toast. Save the money for sure and book breakfast-exclusive rate on the villa. It is better to enjoy the villa more than the mob at the spit-guardless buffett.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The plain reading of the language on the website though is that breakfast is a benefit of the villa.

In fact, any other reading is nonsensical -- because clearly the choice to go to the buffet is not exclusive to villa guests. Yet the sentence lists the buffet breakfast as among the exclusive villa benefits.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 5:08 pm

The hotel deems the breakfast at the Thai restaurant (at the lagoon) as the exclusive breakfast location for villa guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.