Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
If you don't have too much luggage then 3 adults could fit in the hotel Camry. You won't save that much even if you fit in a taxi or prenegotiate transport with someone local. I do recommend arranging with the hotel for airport pickup if they're still charging THB1800.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:52 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by gleff
If you don't have too much luggage then 3 adults could fit in the hotel Camry. You won't save that much even if you fit in a taxi or prenegotiate transport with someone local. I do recommend arranging with the hotel for airport pickup if they're still charging THB1800.
Were still charging B1800 in May.Definitely not worth the hassle with taxis.Go for the hotel transfer.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:15 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
In the past I had always taken a taxi but on my last trip I decided to use the hotel's car service. It is about B600 more but...
  • The hotel car was clean and good mechanical condition.
  • The hotel car was on time. I have had taxi's arrive 45 minutes late.
  • The driver was professional and well dressed.
  • The driver did not stop along the way to get gas, prick up or drop off friends, take a bathroom break or stop at the company office.
  • The driver did not ask for advance payment so he could buy gas.
  • The driver did not try to sell me tours.
  • The driver did not try to sell me a companion for the night.
All of these have happened to me in Phuket before.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 18, 2011 at 6:21 am
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:29 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
You could also rent a car and drive up. Some rental agencies have offices at the airport and up in Khao Lak.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:06 am
Suspended

1800? I was offered a rate of 3000 THB
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
Thanks for the advice, I will contact the hotel directly and ask for the price for their transfer first, sounds like the most convenient and safe deal. I have read some other recommendations for rental car as well, and might give it a further look. Will report back what price the hotel will offer for their transfer.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:38 am
Yub

The Camry transfer service was still 1,800 baht earlier this month. If you need a larger vehicle, they have a Toyota Fortuner SUV available for 2,200 baht. They also have at least two sizes of vans.

We had a great stay at the LMKL. We were upgraded to the suite right above the spa. The staff was consistently excellent. The occupancy was very low -- I heard that there were only 30-60 rooms in use. We were often the only ones in the pool.

I'll try to write up more information about our stay when I have a chance.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:01 pm

I am considering this resort for a trip next July. Does anyone who has stayed in the 2-bed residential villas have a view on whether or not they are good for two couples sharing? Or are they really more appropriate for a family where everyone is all related to each other, and proximity is not a big deal? Hopefully you get my point: would it be kind of sketchy/cramped/swingerish to share the 2 bed villa with good friends, or is it big enough that it's perfectly fine and you will not be sharing everything.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:31 pm

I used this private Taxi service recommended by another FT about 3 years ago. I paid 1000 Baht back then, but I'm sure it's higher now. He drives a Toyota Camry and speaks English.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by imm2b
I used this private Taxi service recommended by another FT about 3 years ago. I paid 1000 Baht back then, but I'm sure it's higher now. He drives a Toyota Camry and speaks English.
I still am able to get the 1000 bht rate.
Perhaps I've used the same contact numerous times for over 3 years helps.
Driver uses a local taxi,but does not turn on meter.
YMMV
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eamus
I am considering this resort for a trip next July. Does anyone who has stayed in the 2-bed residential villas have a view on whether or not they are good for two couples sharing? Or are they really more appropriate for a family where everyone is all related to each other, and proximity is not a big deal? Hopefully you get my point: would it be kind of sketchy/cramped/swingerish to share the 2 bed villa with good friends, or is it big enough that it's perfectly fine and you will not be sharing everything.

It is perfectly fine for two couples. There are two separate rooms with doors. In the middle between the two rooms, there is another room for doing things together (e.g. watching television). Besides, there is also a kitchen. Plenty of space and also privacy is possible.

The public transport from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak was quoted last week with 2200 THB for a mini bus. But we could bargain it down to 1700 THB.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by eamus
There's both a living room and a kitchen separating the two bedrooms, so should be reasonable IMHO.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by nissan motor
It is perfectly fine for two couples. There are two separate rooms with doors. In the middle between the two rooms, there is another room for doing things together (e.g. watching television). Besides, there is also a kitchen. Plenty of space and also privacy is possible.

The public transport from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak was quoted last week with 2200 THB for a mini bus. But we could bargain it down to 1700 THB.
Agreed. Just be sure to inquire as to configuration. I think I recall seeing two single beds in one of the room.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Agreed. Just be sure to inquire as to configuration. I think I recall seeing two single beds in one of the room.
Are there actually two separate two-bedroom villas now?

The one I stayed in ("Two-bedroom oceanfront residence" at the end of the resort... walking towards the ocean, past the main pool, I would veer to the right over a foot bridge) had one king bed in each bedroom.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:36 am

Are there actually two separate two-bedroom villas now?

The one I stayed in ("Two-bedroom oceanfront residence" at the end of the resort... walking towards the ocean, past the main pool, I would veer to the right over a foot bridge) had one king bed in each bedroom.
Do note that I said "I think I recall seeing two single beds in one of the room." I think we are talking about the same villa. It is just over the footbridge behind the Spa area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.