Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
does anyone have a spa menu (pref. with prices) for this hotel?
I'm trying to decide between booking a room vs. a spa package.

thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by curl
does anyone have a spa menu (pref. with prices) for this hotel?
I'm trying to decide between booking a room vs. a spa package.

thanks!
If you hover over the treatments here a pop-up appears with the prices of the treatments.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: GGL
Is Pool Villa ocean front?

I was about to book 5 night stay at 12,800 per night for a "Pool Villa, Pvt Ctyrd W/plunge Pool/sala, Spacious Btrm/2 Sinks/dlx Amen, 42 Inch Plasma Tv, Outdoor Rainforest Shower".

This was the most expensive for the dates I chose so I assumed this was Ocean Front. I then changed one day and got option for "Ocean Front Villa, Pvt Ctyrd W/plunge Pool/sala, Spacious Btrm/2 Sinks/dlx Amen, 42 Inch Plasma Tv, Outdoor Rainforest Shower" at 14,500 a night. Unfortunately I cannot do those dates so assume Ocean front is not available?

I guess I know the answer but the Pool Villa is not ocean front??

Any good the Pool Villa?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 3:31 pm

Pool Villas are totally walled units that are immediately adjacent to the Ocean Villas. Being adjacet to the ocean villa, they are obviously only moments to the sand, but not ocean front. No view at all as you are walled in.

Adjust dates as needed or call to get Ocean Villa or Deluxe Ocean Villa. A damn shame to not get to enjoy the ocean villa as it is such a small premium over Pool Villa.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: GGL
Thanks for quick response. Will call them to see what is available or maybe do 1 night in other room if needed. Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:33 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
i'm heading to khao lak next week. several questions:
1) considering booking a villa - as a plat, if you book lagoon villa will they upgrade you to to pool or oceanfront villa (if available)?
2) if booked in regular room, is there any chance of upgrade to a villa (any level)? staying 3 nights, early november. is that busy or slow season?
3) any freebies for plats? breakfast, cocktails, snacks?
i'm still debating between khao lak or sheraton laguna phuket. i really want to check out khao lak and reviews are great, but i'm tempted by laguna's wonderful treatment of plats with upgrade to villas, free breakfast, fruit in afternoon, snacks in the evening and a good dvd library. would i be disappointed at khao lak?
the purpose is just to relax and maybe go diving.
thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:00 pm

Khao Lak Trip Report

We were in Khao Lak for 6 nights this summer and in the Le Meridien Phuket for 2 nights. I probably wouldn't return to Phuket at all. Khao Lak is a place I will return as soon as practical.

I booked a standard using back to back ZR3s. We received a Plat upgrade to a Suite over at the Spa area. There was no view but the room was huge. We had a living room with a couch and a day bed, dining room table, television with DVD player, guest bathroom.

There was a small kitchen with a hot plate, microwave, refrigerator, etc.

The bedroom had a poster bed and another large TV and DVD.

Between the bedroom and the main bathroom there was a huge dressing room with closets on one side and on the other a makeup table.

The bathroom had two sink areas, a rain shower and a huge bathtub. There were also two balconies.

Plats are given free breakfast. Shortly after we arrived and were driven to the room in a golf cart, we were brought two fresh coconuts cut open with straws. There was a huge bowl of fruit in our room that we couldn't possible finish. Each afternoon they brought some other snack. One day it was mini sandwiches. Another day cakes. Another day chocolates. One evening they had a complimentary barbecue party with lots of food at the pool where we mingled with staff members. It was very welcoming. There is free WiFi in the lobby area which also serves as a lounge. We had a coupon for a free drink but just on the first night.

Friday nights they provide the guests with the opportunity re-enact the Loy Krathong custom of launching lanterns into the sky. Beautiful to watch them line up through the sky.

I can't comment on the DVD library since I finished watching The Wire while there. Both my wife and I fell ill while at Khao Lak as we'd been running ourselves ragged for a few weeks. They have an on-site nurse available from the hospital in Phuket.

One caveat is that I would definitely rent a car. There is a lot to see in the area and lots of cheap restaurants and whatnot around. Without a car you are a bit reliant on hotel cars which will cost you more. We rented from Avis at the Phuket airport for THB 800 / day.

Whatever you do, have a great time!

Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Thanks for the report, yosithezet. We have 8 nights planned at Le Meridien Khao Lak in March, but are contemplating spending a couple of those nights down in Phuket due to proximity of some of the activities we're considering down there.

The villas at Sheraton Laguna sounds tempting and I'm wondering if anyone can help wtih direct comparisons between Sheraton Laguna Phuket and Le Meridien Khao Lak. I'm gold now, but will be Plat by then so potential for upgrades is also a factor.

I hadn't considered renting a car, but now I'm contemplating it...especially if we property hop. Thanks again for the report.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Thanks for the report, yosithezet. We have 8 nights planned at Le Meridien Khao Lak in March, but are contemplating spending a couple of those nights down in Phuket due to proximity of some of the activities we're considering down there.

The villas at Sheraton Laguna sounds tempting and I'm wondering if anyone can help wtih direct comparisons between Sheraton Laguna Phuket and Le Meridien Khao Lak. I'm gold now, but will be Plat by then so potential for upgrades is also a factor.

I hadn't considered renting a car, but now I'm contemplating it...especially if we property hop. Thanks again for the report.
I would tend to go for the Sheraton Grande Phuket instead of the Khao Lak property. I was in Phuket earlier this month and got upgraded to one of the villas. Quite nice actually.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:26 pm

booked a deluxe suite, am SPG gold. i don't think the rate (buy 2 nights, get third free) includes breakfast though.

does anyone know how much breakfast (buffet or ala carte) generally costs?
how many of the deluxe suites there are and on what floors?
any benefits for SPG gold? possible upgrade to ??? rpom? (is there a better suite?)

thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by curl
booked a deluxe suite, am SPG gold. i don't think the rate (buy 2 nights, get third free) includes breakfast though.

does anyone know how much breakfast (buffet or ala carte) generally costs?
how many of the deluxe suites there are and on what floors?
any benefits for SPG gold? possible upgrade to ??? rpom? (is there a better suite?)

thanks!
6 deluxe suites on the 2nd and 3rd floors

Upgrading to villa is tough to come by during the busy season without some sort of additional cost but you can ask upon arrival.

Food is expensive when you add the ++.
Not sure how much buffet breakfast is?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:32 pm

there are only six deluxe suites in the entire place? wow! are they closer/further from the beach?

seems that it may be pretty full when we are there - we could not get a room, lowest available rate search came up with suites and villas only.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Food is expensive when you add the ++.
Not sure how much buffet breakfast is?
This is where the rental car really pays for itself.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
We have a junior suite (80 sq. meters) reserved for later this month, using points, but I plan to email the hotel about a possible free upgrade (ha! especially since I'm only a Starwood Gold!) to a villa since it's our anniversary. On the off chance that the hotel offers a nicer suite or a lagoon villa to us for some cash, how much nicer are they than the junior suite? The reviews ive seen at FlyerTalk of the oceanfront villas sound great and I'd probably grab that if the price is right, but am less certain about these other options.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
We have a junior suite (80 sq. meters) reserved for later this month, using points, but I plan to email the hotel about a possible free upgrade (ha! especially since I'm only a Starwood Gold!) to a villa since it's our anniversary. On the off chance that the hotel offers a nicer suite or a lagoon villa to us for some cash, how much nicer are they than the junior suite? The reviews ive seen at FlyerTalk of the oceanfront villas sound great and I'd probably grab that if the price is right, but am less certain about these other options.

Thanks for any advice.

The FO is very reasonable in terms of cash uprades to villas but is subject to avaliabilty.
Just let them know when you check-in what you possibly had in mind.

Management has always been very accomodating in most circumstances.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.