Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Canada101
Should the hotel compensate you for said inconvenience? Only as a goodwill gesture...
No, this is absolutely wrong. There is no excuse for checking-in a guest and then forcing the guest to move mid-stay, and in this case, it was completely the fault of the hotel. Compensation should be proactively offered in these types of situations. It is not a goodwill gesture.

I understand you are trying very hard to defend the property in question, but you are off base on this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why would the Sultan stay in a 4 star hotel when there are 5 star hotels? Budget cuts never affect people at the top. Does he like saving money? Maybe he wants to experience life like a commoner, like when the mayor of NYC takes the subway after clearing all the homeless people out?
As I said, you did not read the comment properly. The OP said the VP Marketing was staying at that hotel was the corporate guest of a 4 star hotel, not the hotel in question. 2 different hotels. We don't know what hotel is being discussed, and what is the hotel star rating.

Yes, I would not expect the Sultan of Brunei to stay at anything but the best, considering his wealth.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It seems someone booked a suite with a connecting room, and thus instead of moving two people they wanted to just move you.
And you do not have a reservation for a junior suite anyway. You are already being done a favor by being upgraded.
The last time I was asked to move out of my upgraded suite, the Director of Rooms came to look for me at breakfast, explained the situation, and upgraded me to the Presidential Suite for the rest of my stay.

While I did not extend the stay like the OP, I think this is the correct way for any hotel to do this. Besides, the OP has already stated he got an identical connecting room, just on a lower floor.

Another hotel allowed a guest to extend in a suite that had been "allocated" to me at my request prior to arrival. I didn't fuss because pre-allocations are just that, not confirmations. They screwed up elsewhere and eventually gave me a tonne of points to make up for everything. That's how you should deal with situations like this.

Are you really implying that the OP has to bend over backwards because he was being done a favour by being upgraded...? How about if they upgrade someone at 4pm checkin then a revenue guest comes in at 6pm and wants to pay for a suite? The upgraded guest should pack up and move?
clarkef likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
troytos, as you've undoubtedly figured out by now, you've created a bit of a credibility problem for yourself here. In your first post, you didn't mention that you had extended your stay. Then you added more detail as we went along. Then you raised racism as a possibility. One cannot help but wonder if the person who "told" you to move was really as rude/harsh as you depicted here.

One more question, -- When you extended your stay, did you tell them how many additional nights you needed? Did you stay (or try to stay) beyond that estimate?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The extension of the stay makes a big difference IMO. Still, the hotel apparently made a mistake in telling the OP that he/she could stay in the same room for the entire extension and normally one would expect some sort of apology gesture for this.

Note that some hotels, especially at the luxury level, will confirm particular rooms in writing in advance, typically for repeat guests at the property. In other cases, there might be very few rooms that would meet a guest's requirements, such as connecting rooms with particular bedding types, handicapped feastures, special views, etc.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troytos
The room that I was in is JUNIOR SUITE with the connecting door and the room that I have to move to is JUNIOR SUITE with the connecting door. same exactly type of room on a floor lower. I'm well aware of the fact that when I extended my stay. I may have to move to another room since the upgrade was not guaranteed (even tho I checked the possibility of the upgrade before I extended) and When she checked me back in the same room. I made sure that I don't have to move to the new room and she said its ok. I will keep you in the same room. I just don't like the fact that she called into my room and told me that we have to move you to the other room since that room that you are currently in was booked by somebody without telling beforehand or give me no options except pack my bag and MOVE. About PLATINUM recognition I don't think so.

Me. at the time of checking in. Hi I would like to check in Please and hand him ID and CC
staff. ok please sign in the box. hand me the keys and the elevator is of the right. club lounge is on 6 floor. that's it.
Me. I have to ask. whats time the club lounge open? Can I have breakfast in the restaurant? etc....

BTW I find that the shuttle driver was much more friendly and nicer than the front desk people.

unlike any other properties. Thank you for being PLATINUM or Welcome to our property.

Ps. Maybe because I'm a young ASIAN man,
First, the Asian part. You think after the Dr. Dao incident, any one in the travel industry would dare to mess with us

Full disclosure on the extension and room type up front would have helped. As others have said, now we have a credibility issue, even before you disclosed your race
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
Deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:53 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by gengar
No, this is absolutely wrong. There is no excuse for checking-in a guest and then forcing the guest to move mid-stay, and in this case, it was completely the fault of the hotel. Compensation should be proactively offered in these types of situations. It is not a goodwill gesture.

I understand you are trying very hard to defend the property in question, but you are off base on this.
It wasn't mid-stay. It was a result of an extension. As I explained in a previous post, the OP asked to remain in their upgraded room (a junior suite). Perhaps on the day the extension was requested, there were no other junior suites available. We will never know. So the associate kept the OP in their upgraded room as a courtesy for the OP. Clearly, the associate should have checked the particular room's assignment well into the future to see if other guest's requirements overlapped with the OP's extension request. The associate clearly erred and should apologize for the error.

The request was made for the OP to move and the move was being accommodated in another upgraded junior suite which the OP did not pay for. He now says he used SNA's for the original reservation (again -- the facts keep getting convoluted) but SNA's were unlikely used for the extension. [Edit: the OP is now changing the story again and now admitting this was not a normal "extension" but rather the product of "back-to-back" reservations].

Ultimately, yes, the hotel erred. Was it a major error? Perhaps. Should compensation be offered, I don't believe we have the full story here particularly with the omissions in the OP's initial post and the lack of clarity as to why the room change was being requested. Given my personal experience with this property and the OP's lack of transparency until challenged, I have chosen deliberately and intentionally to err on the side of the property. But I don't believe the OP has been forthcoming in the re-telling of the facts and ultimately, whether or not compensation is warranted depends on those facts.

Again -- there are far too many gaps in the OP's story to determine whether compensation is warranted. The OP has thrown all sorts of accusations at the property including a veiled threat that racism was an issue. It's frankly a bizarre situation. Knowing this property - if they truly erred and there was an issue, compensation would be the absolute first thing they would offer -- to hear it the way it is being told by the OP, I hate to say it but it sounds more like a desperate attempt to get something for some perceived slight than it is a real issue of poor service.

Last edited by Canada101; Aug 12, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by troytos
Let me flash my last card or piece of information here. I have back to back reservations. as I mentioned above that I have done the research before I made those reservations that I have a high possibility that I can stay in the upgraded suite and applied my suite nights to the first reservation. when I came down to the front desk and told her that Can u check me out and check me back in the same room. She said ok You booked a traditional two queen. but the room you are in was block for a group reservation. she knew that the room that I was in was blocked for group guests. I asked her is it possible that you can keep me in same room because I think it would be easier to move somebody that I have not arrived yet. She said let me check I just need to MAKE SURE that we have enough room for upgrading you. its going to take a minute since I have to do whatever she needed to do on her screen. (I checked room availability before I came down to the front desk and have her check me out and check me back in because if she told me that the room were all sold I will pull my phone and ask if the room were all sold why I still can buy those type of room here)

BTW Almost the same situation almost happened to me at the HILTON property because I have back to back reservation but staff at Hilton property told me upfront that I have to move since there is a group booked those room and they need a room with connecting door. I said ok if I have to but before I go back to my room and move. I flash my Hilton DIAMOND status and manager come out and do whatever she could to keep me in the same room so I don't have to move. this is how they value the quest royalty.

My point of this thread is that

IS IT OK TO MOVE GUEST DURING THE STAY WHEN YOU ALREADY ASSIGNED THAT ROOM TO THE GUEST?

IS IT OK WHEN YOU MESSED UP AND DECIDE TO PULL THE GUEST OUT OF THE ROOM WITHOUT MAKING SURE THAT THE GUEST IS HAPPY?

WHAT IF THIS HAPPENED TO YOU WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

DOES THIS PROPERTY REALLY VALUE THEIR ELITE GUEST ROYALTY?

and this is the END

Sorry for the Grammar. I'm ASIAN.
Oh brother -- I think you're really digging yourself into a deeper hole here.

1. Your initial post omitted the extension and now you're admitting it wasn't an extension but a set of "back-to-back" reservations?

2. You used SNAs for your original reservation and were confirmed prior to arrival into a junior suite but then wanted to remain in your upgraded room without the use of SNAs for a back-to-back reservation you made in advance? Did you make back-to-back reservations because you did not have enough SNAs to cover the full stay? When did you make the second reservation in your back-to-back reservations? Was it in the middle of your original stay or prior to your original stay starting?

3. You now admit that there was some type of group block for the room you were in and that was shared with you at the time you were checked-out/checked-in? Frankly, it probably meant that a group was arriving at some point with the requirement that everyone be accommodated on the same floor (A family reunion? A school trip with chaperones and students requiring proximity to one another? So many possibilities).

4. Even with all this, the property decided to keep you in an upgraded room (without requiring the use of SNA credits) and when they asked/told you to move, they kept you in the same upgraded room type.

5. This has happened to you before at a Hilton? Hmmm. Fishy. I can tell you that in almost 1,000 nights at SPG properties and several hundred nights at Marriotts/Hiltons/Fairmonts/Intercontinentals, I've not once been asked to switch rooms mid-stay when it didn't involve an extension.

I would probably stop adding and subtracting elements to your story. Your credibility is sorely lacking.

Finally, despite being a SPG Plat Ambassador guest, not once have I received anything more than an upgrade to a Club Floor room at the Sheraton Omaha (so my defense of this property is not based on some outsized upgrade in the past). I never complained or whined about not receiving a suite. In fact, my only reaction was to say thank you as the Club Floor rooms are certainly a welcome upgrade.

Last edited by Canada101; Aug 12, 2017 at 11:58 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Canada101
It wasn't mid-stay. It was a result of an extension.
Complete nonsense - the OP was asked to move mid-stay. As even you acknowledge, the time to tell the OP that he has to move is at the time he asked for an extension. It's not even as if the FD called the OP back 10 minutes later to say they make a mistake; it was the following day. That's mid-stay any way that you can possibly reasonably and rationally look at it.

The extension aspect of OP's story is only relevant insofar as we care about the culpability of the property, i.e., in order to better ascertain how egregious the mistakes were. Stay extensions are commonplace in the hotel world, and compensation is certainly due guests who are victims of this sort of error - and not just as a goodwill gesture.
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Complete nonsense - the OP was asked to move mid-stay. As even you acknowledge, the time to tell the OP that he has to move is at the time he asked for an extension. It's not even as if the FD called the OP back 10 minutes later to say they make a mistake; it was the following day. That's mid-stay any way that you can possibly reasonably and rationally look at it.

The extension aspect of OP's story is only relevant insofar as we care about the culpability of the property, i.e., in order to better ascertain how egregious the mistakes were. Stay extensions are commonplace in the hotel world, and compensation is certainly due guests who are victims of this sort of error - and not just as a goodwill gesture.
Unfortunately, you and I will just have to agree to disagree. The OP's original stay was uninterrupted. It was only on the second part of two back-to-back bookings where the move was requested. Yes, it occurred after the OP was checked back into their original room and yes, it was an error which required an apology. Compensation? That depends on what actually happened and we are obviously not getting anywhere near the facts here.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
You need to be straight with us. First, you said that you were asked to move mid-stay. No mention of anything else, just a regular stay. Then you told us that you had requested an extension which was approved. Now you tell us that it wasn't really an extension, it was really back-to-back reservations.

Did you tell the hotel when you checked in the first time that you had back-to-back rezzies? (And, if so, why didn't you tell us?) Sometimes the FD staff aren't aware or don't catch it. Did you ask to have a single room for your entire stay (both reservations) when you first checked in for the first rezzie? Or did you ask partway through your first stay?

IMO the story has changed too many times for it to be sufficiently reliable. Can't wait to find out what the next relevant fact to be revealed is!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.