Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You were trying to game the system, by using a SNA and linking it to another reservation in which you didn't apply anything. Either way, I think you understand you aren't "owed" that room for your second stay, as you didn't apply anything towards it.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
An all too common tactic.

Really? "Common" in your bag of tricks? Please enlighten us about how you know the frequency in which SPG Plats try to link SNA nights to non-SNA nights.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by clublounger
Really? "Common" in your bag of tricks? Please enlighten us about how you know the frequency in which SPG Plats try to link SNA nights to non-SNA nights.
i have a buddy who managed a spg property in southeast asia for the last few years & has recently moved to another spg property in india....even he was telling me that he comes across this situation quite often, both at his previous property & the one he is currently managing....
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
troytos, as you've undoubtedly figured out by now, you've created a bit of a credibility problem for yourself here. In your first post, you didn't mention that you had extended your stay. Then you added more detail as we went along. Then you raised racism as a possibility. One cannot help but wonder if the person who "told" you to move was really as rude/harsh as you depicted here.

One more question, -- When you extended your stay, did you tell them how many additional nights you needed? Did you stay (or try to stay) beyond that estimate?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The extension of the stay makes a big difference IMO. Still, the hotel apparently made a mistake in telling the OP that he/she could stay in the same room for the entire extension and normally one would expect some sort of apology gesture for this.

Note that some hotels, especially at the luxury level, will confirm particular rooms in writing in advance, typically for repeat guests at the property. In other cases, there might be very few rooms that would meet a guest's requirements, such as connecting rooms with particular bedding types, handicapped feastures, special views, etc.
I don't see how the extension has any bearing. Effectively the OP made a second reservation for additional days. The FDC should have checked to make sure the room was available for the duration and did not. And instead of possibly moving two future reservations they decided to move the OP.

I see it as a service failure and from what the OP described was not handled well. It may be the FDC was trying to keep from escalating the issue internally and getting negative attention for not checking. It may be the future reservation was assigned that room by a higher up and again the FDC wishing to save face.

We can only speculate what really went on, but I still feel the situation could have and should have been handled better.
clarkef likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I don't see how the extension has any bearing.
Agreed. When I wrote that, I didn't realize that it wasn't an extension at all, but rather, a second, consecutive booking.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
91 posts for being asked to move from one room to another. Really? If you feel you have been treated unfairly, deal with it at the hotel at that time. I have elite status in a few hotel chains and never worry about suite upgrades ( sometimes I get them sometimes I dont) and am always treated fairly and out of thousands of stays (over 3,000 at Marriott alone) I've only had a complaint a handful of times. Discussed it with the front desk staff or mgr and it was addressed.
Elite at a hotel chain doesnt mean your special!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
i have a buddy who managed a spg property in southeast asia for the last few years & has recently moved to another spg property in india....even he was telling me that he comes across this situation quite often, both at his previous property & the one he is currently managing....

If this is true, as an SPG manager, your buddy talks too much. He should be fired.

Is Dr. HFH talking to the same supposed blabbermouth. Or are there more?

ugh.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
The vast majority of mistakes made at hospitality venues are "honest mistakes". It's not like hospitality employees start out their days thinking about how to make guests' lives miserable (well ok, so maybe on some USA-based airlines they do). But just because they are "honest mistakes" doesn't mean that compensation is thus not deserved.

Stay extensions and back-to-back reservations are very common at hotels, so staff/FD are trained on the procedures and these are built in to hotel PMS with many redundancies so that to the guest, the extension or back-to-back reservation appears seamless. So it's not accurate at all to suggest that just because an FD agent messed up and the hotel decides to pay out compensation, the hotel will choose not to do their best to keep guests in the same room during extensions and/or fail to block rooms appropriately for back-to-back reservations. Rather, it will indicate to management that better training needs to occur so as not to have the same service failures happen again.

BTW, should anyone be curious - some discussion on FT's HH forum about back-to-back stay issues were recently discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y-clothes.html

... with some of my discussion on the procedures/PMS systems starting in post 90.

As someone who has worked at *wood hotels, I have to laugh every time someone says there are so many redundancies and the FD staff is "well trained" in links, back-to-back, connectors, etc. Nothing is further from the truth. Lightspeed/Galaxy has no such automatic flags. Someone must click the "connector" boxes on the reservations. Someone must manually link reservations to each other. But, if someone goes in and plays Tape Chart Tetris and moves a guest out of one room and puts another guest in there, no bells and whistles sound. I saw my FD Manager blow it several times, breaking up connecting rooms because he did not look at each reservation before doing so.
More and more hotels pre-block hotel rooms a day or more in advance. It's done to try to keep those connectors and special request rooms in place. Even the non-chain hotel I work at now pre blocks. One of my daily tasks is to run the Unblocked Guest report for 2 weeks out and assign rooms for any unblocked guest.

The OP's story has changed so much. Having a B2B, the OP did try to game the system by using the SNA first and then trying to stay in that upgraded room for no extra fee. I used to see this all the time, this and the "book good room on points for one night, a lessor room paid for the next few nights and try to get the better room for the lessor price stay. It was not a mid-stay issue; he actually says he "checked in/out", so he knew full well it was two different reservations. He was also apparently ready to shove his phone in the face of the FD because he could see that room type for sale, apparently ignorant of the fact that not every room of the type he wanted to stay in under false pretenses is part of the upgrade pool.

He blew it. The FDA who didn't do due diligence before pacifying a DYKWIA guest blew it. If someone had booked and was blocked into a suite+connector, and there were no other suite+connector available, there was nothing else to do but apologize to the OP, but say he really did have to move to another suite that had the connector occupied. But, by the OP acting up and pulling the "royalty" card, that usually makes management not so willing to do much recovery; mamma was right when she said "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar."
KENNECTED, Fizzer and Canada101 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by troytos
She told me to move and I moved IMMEIDIATELY and I didn't PULL my ROYALTY card at this hotel yet. I called SPG to tell them this and SPG agent called into the property and said She will write all the details and file a complaint for me because she understood how inconvenient it is when you have to move MID-STAY. I fully understand that when I have back to back reservation. I may have to move since the room occupancy is not the same everyday and I was ready to move when she checked me out and checked me back in not after I MADE SURE with her that I still can stay in the same room.
So what's the big deal about having to move mid-stay or at the beginning of the second stay? You said in your first post that the whole reason you were upset was...
It's so frustrating since I have to pack my back and unpack it again.
So you would have been just as pissed off if she had told you to move at the start of the second stay since you would have had to do exactly the same thing.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by slidergirl
As someone who has worked at *wood hotels, I have to laugh every time someone says there are so many redundancies and the FD staff is "well trained" in links, back-to-back, connectors, etc. Nothing is further from the truth.
And you've attempted to challenge me with this point before. And my response is the precise same as it was before, which is that just because you've worked at properties that weren't competently managed doesn't mean that all properties are not competently managed.

The fact is that stay extensions and back-to-back reservations are common in the hotel world. You work in hotels, so you know this.

Lightspeed/Galaxy has no such automatic flags.
Opera and OnQ don't have automatic flags for this situation either. That doesn't mean properties don't develop procedures having multiple redundancies for these situations. These systems aren't idiot-proof or foolproof and they most certainly aren't lazy-proof. If a human wants to mess this up, it will be messed up. No PMS and no procedure can help that.

And also ironic, since Lightspeed is probably the most convenient PMS for back-to-back reservations, effortless to link the reservations, transfer folios, etc.

It was not a mid-stay issue; he actually says he "checked in/out", so he knew full well it was two different reservations.
And again, the OP says he was not forced to move until the day after he was checked-back in. Hence, mid-stay.
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by clublounger
If this is true, as an SPG manager, your buddy talks too much. He should be fired.

Is Dr. HFH talking to the same supposed blabbermouth. Or are there more?

ugh.
tsk tsk....he should be fired for telling someone he has been friends with for over 30+ years that some plat members try to game the system????are you always this sour when people don't agree with you????

members of every loyalty program try to game the system....there will always be that select few who will continue to do so....you don't have to like it but thinking that it doesn't happen won't make it true....
troytos likes this.

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 13, 2017 at 10:45 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
What are we arguing about? Am confused.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
Deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The OP's story has changed so much. Having a B2B, the OP did try to game the system by using the SNA first and then trying to stay in that upgraded room for no extra fee. I used to see this all the time, this and the "book good room on points for one night, a lessor room paid for the next few nights and try to get the better room for the lessor price stay. It was not a mid-stay issue; he actually says he "checked in/out", so he knew full well it was two different reservations. He was also apparently ready to shove his phone in the face of the FD because he could see that room type for sale, apparently ignorant of the fact that not every room of the type he wanted to stay in under false pretenses is part of the upgrade pool.
I'm with slidergirl 100%.

She told me to move and I moved IMMEIDIATELY and I didn't PULL my ROYALTY card at this hotel yet.
But, in what I believe to be an increasingly desperate effort to salvage your position, you did play the racism card once you got here and got some pushback from FTers. You can see, perhaps, why some might consider the possibility that you did the same thing at the hotel with the royalty card.

And you still haven't answered my question, -- [If you weren't trying to game the system,] why did you book this as two separate stays and only apply SNAs to the first one?

Originally Posted by gengar
And you've attempted to challenge me with this point before. And my response is the precise same as it was before, which is that just because you've worked at properties that weren't competently managed doesn't mean that all properties are not competently managed.
Of course. But surely you would agree that it's highly unlikely that slidergirl worked at the only Starwood property which is not properly managed, yes?
KENNECTED, Fizzer and Canada101 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.