Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
Deleted
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by troytos
I understand that You will always stand by hotel side but it's ok. Let me tell you one more time it's BACK to BACK reservation and it's MID-Stay and before she check me out and check me back in. She said she have to MAKE SURE that she had enough room to upgrade me and I DIDNT pull out the phone yet and royalty card yet. If the hotel said confirmly at that point that I have to move and there is no upgrade available. And explain to me why. This thread not gonna happened. As I mentioned above suite nights is barely working for me and this is my first time used the suite nights and succeeded. Even Manager at the hotel said I totally understand that you got frustrated because you were promised something and you didn't get it. I played by the rules. If you said this is a game. I want to be the one who play it not the one who being played.
Many hotels will post more availability than they actually have, so showing their website is still selling suites does not mean they have availability. That is a form of bullying the property to deliver something they don't have, also known as DYKWIA. Often when this is done they push the issue off onto a future guest that will have to be told they are not going to get the upgrade they should have or had been assigned. The T&Cs bring this on when they say based upon availability at time of check in. That pretty much precludes the ability for the property to pre-block upgrade assignments, which we know they will do any way.

I do agree that once the property checks you into a room for a reservation, you should not be forced to move except for extraordinary circumstances (major maintenance malfunction, exceptional security requirements, etc.). AND it should be handled by someone of authority at the property and not the current FDC. It is a service failure no matter how you look at it and appropriate service recovery should happen. That could be anything from a heart-felt apology to room upgrade/comp.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I understand that You will always stand by hotel side but it's ok. Let me tell you one more time it's BACK to BACK reservation and it's MID-Stay and before she check me out and check me back in. She said she have to MAKE SURE that she had enough room to upgrade me and I DIDNT pull out the phone yet and royalty card yet. If the hotel said confirmly at that point that I have to move and there is no upgrade available. And explain to me why. This thread not gonna happened. As I mentioned above suite nights is barely working for me and this is my first time used the suite nights and succeeded. Even Manager at the hotel said I totally understand that you got frustrated because you were promised something and you didn't get it. I played by the rules. If you said this is a game. I want to be the one who play it not the one who being played.
While the front desk agent should not have promised you something they could not deliver would you accept that the way you originally posted the information on FT and drip fed the details has made it more difficult for people on this forum to understand what actually happened and creates doubts in their minds of what actually happened and the process.

If you had posted the full details to start with and explained it was back to back and the use of SNA's you may have found the FT responses more helpful and friendly.

​​​​​​
KENNECTED and slidergirl like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... this is my first time used the suite nights and succeeded.
So if this was your first successful use of SNAs, you had plenty. Why didn't you apply them to the second booking when you made it? I suspect that people may be concluding that you are gaming the system in part because of your repeated failure to explain this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Maybe it is because my attitude is stricter, probably I am pretty much clear in what I want and what I don't want - but there certainly are differences and so more there might well be differences in Douglas County, Nebraska, in the Midwest - a community with close to 90% Caucasian (incl. Hispanic) population (and little to none Asian population).
I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here but if it is the suggestion that the people of Douglas County, NE would be more prone to discriminating against Asians than, say, residents of New York City or Los Angeles or Seattle then I would have to vehemently disagree. Frankly, as a non-white guest who has stayed at this particular property on several occasions, I have always been treated with respect.

If the hotel said confirmly at that point that I have to move and there is no upgrade available. And explain to me why. This thread not gonna happened.
It may be wise to stop adding to your argument as all it does is confuse the situation. Was your complaint because:

a) the associate was rude to you? OR

b) you did not want to move but would have been happy to if the situation were properly explained?

It seems to me that your story keeps shifting to suit whatever point you want to make so it's just hard to believe you.

You were the one who said the associate told you that there were no rooms that could be used to upgrade you for your second back-to-back stay and that is when you pulled out your phone and your "royalty". So was the associate who called to ask you to move rude when they called you or only rude after refused to do so? After the associate agreed to let you continue using your room, did she confirm you could remain in that room for the duration of your second back-to-back stay or was it not obvious to you based on her comments about a "group block" (your words) that there may be an issue she would need to continue working on? What details are you leaving out?

And why do you not want to answer other posters' questions on why you made back-to-back bookings and not use SNAs for the second booking?

As I've repeatedly said, I agree with you that the front desk associate made a mistake by agreeing to your demand to stay in your room for your second back-to-back booking. She should have told you to move right then and there even AFTER you showed her your phone and insisted there was upgrade availability since she clearly had better, more accurate information than you did.

But since she acquiesced to your demand, she made an error and is now being made to pay for it. To me, based on your description of events, your behavior and your back-to-back bookings, the most you deserved was an apology but clearly you have much more experience in gaming the system and have now succeeded in convincing a manager to compensate you. (Frankly, I'm not surprised as managers tend to want to diffuse situations like these but it doesn't mean you're right.)

Bravo for a game well "played".

My only points in objecting to that way you have handled this is:

a) I have stayed at this property before and the associates I have dealt with are friendly and kind;

b) As a non-white male who has stayed at this property, I find your use of the race card to be totally and completely inappropriate;

c) Your (mis)use of the benefits and privileges afforded to members of SPG make it far more difficult for other members to make use of these privileges and benefits.
Fizzer and slidergirl like this.

Last edited by Canada101; Aug 14, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Canada101
I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here but if it is the suggestion that the people of Douglas County, NE would be more prone to discriminating against Asians than, say, residents of New York City or Los Angeles or Seattle then I would have to vehemently disagree. Frankly, as a non-white guest who has stayed at this particular property on several occasions, I have always been treated with respect.
I am not insinuating anything and certainly do not try to do so but simply offer my personal observation. It is amazing that a personal observation is considered as "insinuation".

You may feel free to chose what makes the difference: Money, age, suit, suite, car, whatever - I offered some possibilities and tried to find a reason why I was treated differently (and have been treated differently once again today in Boston MA) compared to other guests. And I am certainly as positive as you are that any differentiation based on heritage or ethnic background will never ever happen in the US.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I am not insinuating anything and certainly do not try to do so but simply offer my personal observation. It is amazing that a personal observation is considered as "insinuation".

You may feel free to chose what makes the difference: Money, age, suit, suite, car, whatever - I offered some possibilities and tried to find a reason why I was treated differently (and have been treated differently once again today in Boston MA) compared to other guests. And I am certainly as positive as you are that any differentiation based on heritage or ethnic background will never ever happen in the US.
I apologize for misconstruing your intention.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
And you've attempted to challenge me with this point before. And my response is the precise same as it was before, which is that just because you've worked at properties that weren't competently managed doesn't mean that all properties are not competently managed. Then, I must be hitting all the poorly-managed properties across the *wood and Hilton portfolios. I've not found training or procedures any better constructed or documented. When you have staff turnover on the average of every 2 years (including entry and mid-managers) and use a large quantity of seasonal workers for your front desk staff, not much time for documentation or training.

The fact is that stay extensions and back-to-back reservations are common in the hotel world. You work in hotels, so you know this.

Yes, I know. But there is a HUGE difference in an extension and a B2B. In case you don't know the difference - an extension is a modification of an EXISTING reservation of a guest (be it in-house or not yet arrived) to change the departure date and a B2B are two separate and distinct reservations with different reservation numbers with the departure date of the first equal to the arrival date of the second...

Opera and OnQ don't have automatic flags for this situation either. That doesn't mean properties don't develop procedures having multiple redundancies for these situations. These systems aren't idiot-proof or foolproof and they most certainly aren't lazy-proof. If a human wants to mess this up, it will be messed up. No PMS and no procedure can help that.

And also ironic, since Lightspeed is probably the most convenient PMS for back-to-back reservations, effortless to link the reservations, transfer folios, etc.

Out of the 4 systems I've worked on, Maestro is the worst. I do like Lightspeed the best for some things but it is awful for other things. Lightspeed is only as good as the person who uses it and if that person has all the information from a guest. You will get a ding if you try to link reservations that have different room types assigned. If you know that and make 2 reservations (one suite and one non-suite) and try to link, you are banking on someone just acquiescing and maybe giving you the undeserved upgrade. I've worked with OnQ. A property may have a procedure, but when you have some loud, boorish DYKWIA staring you down, making everyone around, including other guests, uncomfortable, some may want to just do what is quick to get the boor out of the way than say appropriately "my apologies, but please allow me time to check out all the possibilities. We have a group arriving and have rooms blocked for them, including yours. We have to see if we can move other guests around in order to keep you in the room. We will contact you within the hour what we can do."

And again, the OP says he was not forced to move until the day after he was checked-back in. Hence, mid-stay.
I'll give you that semantical one. It was not mid-stay of the entire stay. Just the first day into his second reservation.

Until those who ..... and moan about FD staff have walked a mile in their shoes, do not think you know what goes on.
Fizzer and Canada101 like this.

Last edited by slidergirl; Aug 14, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Not taking sides here, but let's not forget it's not possible to apply an SNA last minute (such as in the case of an extension):

You may request an upgrade until 2:00 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I'll give you that semantical one. It was not mid-stay of the entire stay. Just the first day into his second reservation.
Not semantics. You could play the semantics card if the FD agent called back 10 minutes later saying it was a mistake. Not the next day.

Originally Posted by slidergirl
Until those who ..... and moan about FD staff have walked a mile in their shoes, do not think you know what goes on.
BTDT, I've worked more years in and consulting for the hospitality industry than any other. We just clearly have/had different attitudes towards our jobs and customer service (not to mention the simple meanings of common industry terms).
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Canada101
I apologize for misconstruing your intention.
How very Canadian of you
clarkef and Canada101 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why would the Sultan stay in a 4 star hotel when there are 5 star hotels? Budget cuts never affect people at the top. Does he like saving money? Maybe he wants to experience life like a commoner, like when the mayor of NYC takes the subway after clearing all the homeless people out?
Probably security related. Considering the late booking, it was probably the only hotel that could give provide a secure area (an entire floor) last minute. It's possible the actual hotel of choice was considered insecure or compromised in some way.

Also, a full service hotel becomes pretty meaningless when you bring staff with you. It's not like he'd need room service let alone anything like a butler service; his own staff can run errands. The only real variation is decore, location, and security concerns and security often trumps the other 2.

Last edited by ftrbt; Aug 14, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remymartin
Not taking sides here, but let's not forget it's not possible to apply an SNA last minute (such as in the case of an extension):
There u go. 👏👏👏
But, of course troytos, that's only relevant if you made the second reservation more or less on arrival at the hotel and not in advance, which you seem to imply but stop just short of saying. When did you make the first booking? When did you make the second? Instead of implying, why not just tell us clearly and completely all the relevant facts?

If you weren't gaming the system to get an upgrade to which you weren't entitled, why not just give us all the information instead of feeding it to us in dribs and drabs and only so much as required for whatever point you are trying to make at the moment?
Canada101 and controller1 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you weren't gaming the system to get an upgrade to which you weren't entitled, why not just give us all the information instead of feeding it to us in dribs and drabs and only so much as required for whatever point you are trying to make at the moment?
First it was no Russians, then just one Russian, then 8 Russians, then...

OP is now likely flagged w/SPG...if there are other shady instances of "gaming", well a lesson will soon be learned.
Canada101 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.