Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Canada101
Yes, it occurred after the OP was checked back into their original room...
Hence, mid-stay. Full stop.
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Seems to me hotel was being pretty nice by letting him stay in upgraded room second half of stay. When they realized he needed to move, they could ask nicely and he should. Inconvenient sure but they were nice initially by letting him stay. My advice - just be flexible.

Probably just an honest mistake on some FD. If you blame FD and demand compensation then FD won't go out ofnway next time to let someone stay in room If move during a normal stay - not two reservations pieced together -- OP has right to be upset. Upgrade or a free drink should be given. I'd still decline compensation as obviously an error.

But it seems to me OP might be someone who wants to Get somethin for being "royalty"..

Seems to me OP was trying to game system by applying SNAs to first half of reservation w expectation/ hope of being allowed to stay in junior suite for second reservation because OP didn't have enough SNAs or wanted to keep some to try to use next reservation.

This behavioir actually ticks me off as it is breaking program rules. If I were starwood I'd throw op out of program.

I guess he didnt "flash" the right "royalty" thing. The only time I can think of wanting compensation - and demanding it - was when I went to a resort and found out the only pool was shut. Their proposals of busing us to another hotel was not good enough.
Canada101 likes this.

Last edited by SHLTP; Aug 12, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by troytos
as I mentioned above that I have done the research before I made those reservations that I have a high possibility that I can stay in the upgraded suite and applied my suite nights to the first reservation

BTW Almost the same situation almost happened to me at the HILTON property because I have back to back reservation but staff at Hilton property told me upfront that I have to move since there is a group booked those room and they need a room with connecting door. I said ok if I have to but before I go back to my room and move. I flash my Hilton DIAMOND status and manager come out and do whatever she could to keep me in the same room so I don't have to move. this is how they value the quest royalty.

Sorry for the Grammar. I'm ASIAN.
Don't write in caps. It is considered shouting online and rude. I would make a comment about Asians and shouting but I doubt it is allowed here.

Hilton is not known for treating elites well. Diamond? Royalty? Whatever. You mean you get a 1pm checkout if you ask politely?

You were trying to game the system, by using a SNA and linking it to another reservation in which you didn't apply anything. Either way, I think you understand you aren't "owed" that room for your second stay, as you didn't apply anything towards it.

Anyway, one issue is that you think SPG75 is royalty. If you look around these forums many people live their lives in hotels (for the recent changes in Hyatt some people stayed 50 nights prior to March, which is basically all the nights). Look at the thread where they discuss who gets priority for upgrades, Amex FHR, Virtuosos bookings, SPG elites, other VIPs, etc. SPG75 still isn't VIP status.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Probably just an honest mistake on some FD. If you blame FD and demand compensation then FD won't go out ofnway next time to let someone stay in room
The vast majority of mistakes made at hospitality venues are "honest mistakes". It's not like hospitality employees start out their days thinking about how to make guests' lives miserable (well ok, so maybe on some USA-based airlines they do). But just because they are "honest mistakes" doesn't mean that compensation is thus not deserved.

Stay extensions and back-to-back reservations are very common at hotels, so staff/FD are trained on the procedures and these are built in to hotel PMS with many redundancies so that to the guest, the extension or back-to-back reservation appears seamless. So it's not accurate at all to suggest that just because an FD agent messed up and the hotel decides to pay out compensation, the hotel will choose not to do their best to keep guests in the same room during extensions and/or fail to block rooms appropriately for back-to-back reservations. Rather, it will indicate to management that better training needs to occur so as not to have the same service failures happen again.

BTW, should anyone be curious - some discussion on FT's HH forum about back-to-back stay issues were recently discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y-clothes.html

... with some of my discussion on the procedures/PMS systems starting in post 90.

Last edited by gengar; Aug 12, 2017 at 11:51 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by gengar
Hence, mid-stay. Full stop.
Not as far as I can tell.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
Deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:07 am

The vast majority of mistakes made at hospitality venues are "honest mistakes". It's not like hospitality employees start out their days thinking about how to make guests' lives miserable (well ok, so maybe on some USA-based airlines they do). But just because they are "honest mistakes" doesn't mean that compensation is thus not deserved.
I appreciate your perspective on compensation but I simply disagree. As someone who has worked in the tourism industry, I believe that compensating guests for no real reason simply invites complaints which are not based on fact. Sadly, in today's age of social media where reviews and complaints can be broadcast widely, many guests try to use these tools to obtain compensation simply due to the ease of doing so rather than for legitimate customer disservice.

I believe that those actions undermine the legitimate complaints and customer inconveniences that truly deserve compensation and that makes the customer experience worse for everyone.

Ultimately, I am not one of those who believes that the customer is *always* right and that honest mistakes can often be excused.

Don't get me wrong -- customer disservice not only deserves but demands compensation but the OP has a huge credibility problem here and what is being presented appears completely unbelievable. So I beg to differ on whether compensation is truly warranted. I still firmly believe that this is a case where a gesture of goodwill is the most that can be justified.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
You were trying to game the system, by using a SNA and linking it to another reservation in which you didn't apply anything.
Bingo!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by troytos
Would it be possible that u can me provide me the link? I would really like to learn more since I have the elite status almost every big hotel chain in the US. I used Amex FHR from time to time. I would like to learn how they prioritize for the upgrade and stuff and what's SPG VIP status? I'm not sure that the SPG platinum ambassador really worth it because I read some comments said there is almost no different but I may go for it this year.

Thank you Sir
I think this is the best one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-platinum.html
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
deleted

Last edited by troytos; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Canada101
Not as far as I can tell.
You can attempt to malign the credibility of the OP all you want (as we all know, it's one of FT's favorite pastimes). However, you should not attempt to change the meanings of simple words and terms in your crusade to do so.
troytos likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
You can attempt to malign the credibility of the OP all you want (as we all know, it's one of FT's favorite pastimes). However, you should not attempt to change the meanings of simple words and terms in your crusade to do so.
The OP's credibility deteriorated throughout the thread. By the end, it came off more as a DYKWIA thread with the racism card played inappropriately.
When pressed, the OP added extremely pertinent details on the matter that changed the context significantly.

There are three sides to every story and the more details I read on this thread, the more I felt that the truth (third side of the story) was likely very, very close to what the property's side of the story would be.

Gengar, you may agree 100% with the OP, but I suspect you're the exception.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
The OP's credibility deteriorated throughout the thread. By the end, it came off more as a DYKWIA thread with the racism card played inappropriately.
When pressed, the OP added extremely pertinent details on the matter that changed the context significantly.

There are three sides to every story and the more details I read on this thread, the more I felt that the truth (third side of the story) was likely very, very close to what the property's side of the story would be.

Gengar, you may agree 100% with the OP, but I suspect you're the exception.
The discussion within my last few posts has nothing to do with the credibility of the OP. It has been about the definition of very simple words/terms, and prior to that, a theoretical discussion of when compensation should be / is typically granted to inconvenienced guests, based on my experience in and knowledge of the hospitality industry. To claim that my past posts indicate I "agree 100% with the OP" is an incredible misrepresentation of my posts.

The FT community can feel free to discuss the credibility of the OP - as I said, it's one of FT's favorite pastimes so anyone who participates enough here is used to it. All I've been pointing out in my last couple posts is that what people should not do is redefine simple words/terms in their efforts to do so.

Last edited by gengar; Aug 13, 2017 at 1:02 am
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You were trying to game the system, by using a SNA and linking it to another reservation in which you didn't apply anything.
An all too common tactic.

But perhaps we've jumped the gun here. troytos, was there a reason why you applied SNAs to the first booking but not to the second, given that they were back-to-back bookings for consecutive nights?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Oh can we just stop this thread?

He's told us that he's a young Asian man with status in all the major hotel chains. None of which is relevant. We know he shouts online and his original question "why me" is begging for an answer that nobody has supplied..

Given the dry facts, he could have been given (and he could have requested) some minor gift (points, dinner) for what looks like a FD mistake during the booking changeover. This happens.

Instead we have a thread that keeps appearing at the top of the forum. Stop it already. Oh damn. Now I've bumped it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.