Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2017: Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public. SPG will deny member only rates from 3rd party websites.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG
• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using any other category of room - if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will be modified to match the room type you are claiming for
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved. There are a few exceptions where properties impose stricter cancellation term based on competing rates.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.
• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities that are included in the external website's rate but which are not included in the Starwood rate may or may not be provided.
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    Differing currencies
    • "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
    https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
    • Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
    • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to view your reservation after BRG has been approved
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.
    • Click on your stays to view your current reservation
    • Click on "Set Stay Preferences", then SAVE
    • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How to cancel a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE
• reload the page and you should now be able to cancel the reservation

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE
• reload the page and you should now be able to select "apply SNA to this stay" link

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Company Room Provider:
Other Company Room Provider:
Competing rate:
Comments:

Q: Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?
A: Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2017: Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Hi

I have some problems re BRGs for my upcoming stay in Bangkok.

1st night Aloft (multiple rooms)
2nd night Westin
3rd night Four Points
4th nigbt Aloft (multiple rooms)

My first claim was for the first room at the Aloft- it was approved with 2000 points.

I made the second claim for the Four Points (I chose 20%) but the agent commented like following:

While I was reviewing your claim, I noticed that you have multiple approved Best Rate Guarantee claims in Bangkok. Please, note that you will only receive on Best Rate Guarantee reward within a seven day period when staying in the same city or at the same hotel. Since the first claim that we received and is still linked with an active reservation was for Starpoints, I have processed your claim for Starpoints.

I know that I only can get 2000points for one time per week. So except my first night at the Aloft, I would like to get 20% discount but this agent seems to think "you only get 2000points as you chose this so no more 20% discount for further stays in this week".

Any light?
Thanks
The agent was right.
The best is to claim 20% for all BRGs.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by kodansha999
The agent was right.
The best is to claim 20% for all BRGs.
You can only get once 2000 points per 7 days in same city/area, a 20% discount is not limited. So, 1st stay 2000 points, from second till fourth all stays with 20% discount during the same week and in the same city.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Jaenks
You can only get once 2000 points per 7 days in same city/area, a 20% discount is not limited. So, 1st stay 2000 points, from second till fourth all stays with 20% discount during the same week and in the same city.
This is incorrect info.

Only 1 2K points (or 3 2K points if booking 3 rooms same property same night) OR 20% off on all stays within the same week.

Agent is correct. If you choose 2K points on first stay, any subsequent BRG claims same week and city will not get any award other than OTA rate being matched.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by supatight80
This is incorrect info.

Only 1 2K points (or 3 2K points if booking 3 rooms same property same night) OR 20% off on all stays within the same week.

Agent is correct. If you choose 2K points on first stay, any subsequent BRG claims same week and city will not get any award other than OTA rate being matched.
Many thanks all, I had to cancel the first claim with a 2) reward.

One follow up q- if I get three approvals for three claims to get three rooma for one night at the same property (so total three different reservations), am I also entitled to get 3x 2k points? Or should I make an one single claim for three rooms?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CanRulez
That's brutal. Is that so they can deny your claim once your competing link jumps up in price? Should I capture a screen shot?
Sigh. So not true. I've said it before and I guess I need to say it again. The BRG team is extremely competent (St Thomas and Austin especially) and will do everything they can to approve claims. I've had claims denied and called in to walk them through how I found the price. They will try multiple devices, browsers, etc until they are able to replicate what I found so they can approve it. They are the best! ^

Screen shots are pointless. They must see the rate themselves. Even with my poor MS Paint skills, I could produce a screenshot of whatever price you'd like.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:47 pm

Many thanks all, I had to cancel the first claim with a 2) reward.

One follow up q- if I get three approvals for three claims to get three rooma for one night at the same property (so total three different reservations), am I also entitled to get 3x 2k points? Or should I make an one single claim for three rooms?

Thanks!

You can make a single claim for a 3-room booking. You will get 3 x 2000 points. You don't need to make 3 x 1-room bookings.

But 3 x 1-room bookings for the same night also works.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
You can make a single claim for a 3-room booking. You will get 3 x 2000 points. You don't need to make 3 x 1-room bookings.

But 3 x 1-room bookings for the same night also works.
Thanks again. As some competing sites do not allow searching availability for multiple rooms, I need to make mutiple claims each fot a single room instead of a single claim for multiple rooms.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:26 pm

Thanks again. As some competing sites do not allow searching availability for multiple rooms, I need to make mutiple claims each fot a single room instead of a single claim for multiple rooms.
Be aware that if you submit them all at once your bookings may (I repeat, may) be combined and processed as one. And if your site does not allow multiple room bookings the claim will be denied.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:03 am

20% discount up to three rooms?

Never heard about this rule (see the next paragraph). As mentioned, I am trying to brg multiple hotels in Bangkok next week, one property per night to maximise QS credits. So far three stays have been approved but... for my fourth claim I could not get the 20% reward with below comment:

While I was reviewing your claim, I noticed that you have multiple approved Best Rate Guarantee reservations at several different Starwood-branded hotels in Bangkok. Please, note that you will only receive one Best Rate Guarantee reward for a maximum of three rooms during a seven day period, when staying in the same city or at the same hotel. Since you have reached the maximum number of approved rooms for our 20% off Best Rate Guarantee reward, you will only receive the approved rate and will not receive an additional 20% off this rate. I apologize for any frustration this may cause.

Is this agent correct again this time?

​​​​​​​Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:36 am

This is incorrect info.

Really? But in my cases always -20% is deducted when claiming. You can get a 2000 points once during same city and week, -20% discount is not limited. Last time got points and -20% together Replied them that only points please. Have not got reply from them yet.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Really? But in my cases always -20% is deducted when claiming. You can get a 2000 points once during same city and week, -20% discount is not limited. Last time got points and -20% together Replied them that only points please. Have not got reply from them yet.
Yes really.

Having said that, what is by the book and what happens real life is YMMV. But it has been stated on this thread by a BRG supervisor (through email) that technically youre supposed to get only 1 BRG award within the same week and city.

In fact, it is in the BRG terms...

Last edited by supatight80; Apr 1, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Sheraton Saigon Hotel & Towers

Succeeded with a BRG for the 2nd time in two month, this time via Prestigia.

Hotel Name: Sheraton Saigon Hotel & Towers
Arrival Date: April 5, 2017
Departure Date: April 7, 2017
Room Type: two Premier Deluxe rooms, one guest each, including breakfast
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: VND 3,752,500
Competing rate: USD 125 from Prestigia
Actual confirmed rate: 2,417,085.66 VND (3,021,357.08 VND less 20%) plus VAT and service charge, including breakfast
BRG award: 20% off

Claim was processed within 12 hours of submitting
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:47 pm

Yes really.

Having said that, what is by the book and what happens real life is YMMV. But it has been stated on this thread by a BRG supervisor (through email) that technically youre supposed to get only 1 BRG award within the same week and city.

In fact, it is in the BRG terms...
And in the terms is written also that same claims during one week in same area or city MAY counted as one stay not will be counted. In reality it depends who is processing. No complaints, I have been very very lucky with that.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: UAL - Premier, SPG - Plat
did a BRG recently. claimed made on 3/28/2017

everyone - please always list the competing providers website name. i always come to this thread to get an idea of where to go for BRG (new website idea). if people dont list where they find their BRG (maybe because they are afraid spg will go after these companies) then how can we help each other?

Hotel Name: The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket
Arrival Date: June 26, 2017
Departure Date: June 28, 2017
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: One Tropical Pool Villa, for two guests, including breakfast
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 9025.0
Company Room Provider: www.zenhotels.com
Other Company Room Provider:
Competing rate: 6957.37 THB
Comments: Asked for extra 20% off. Took 48 hours to approve
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ryukus
did a BRG recently. claimed made on 3/28/2017

everyone - please always list the competing providers website name. i always come to this thread to get an idea of where to go for BRG (new website idea). if people dont list where they find their BRG (maybe because they are afraid spg will go after these companies) then how can we help each other?

As more people are doing BRGs, the processing times seem to get longer and longer. So that may be why fewer people are posting their BRG successes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.