Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JB123
We all know Marriott is merging the two programs in 2018 but was not sure if it was really Jan 1. I only ask because if it was later in the year I would able to have another year of SPG Platinum before the merger.
No date has been announced. There is a huge merger thread that speculates dates. Have you reviewed that thread?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by melroseman
Got it, thanks. I find the SPG site a little less user friendly to navigate. Or maybe just what I am used to.
On a 5 point scale for usability I would rate the Marriott site a 3 and the SPG site a 2.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:35 am

Got it, thanks. I find the SPG site a little less user friendly to navigate. Or maybe just what I am used to.
That's funny. I think SPG is easier, so i guess I'm just used to it.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The last official word I saw was " late 2018".
So definitely not Jan 1.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, it is not.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The last official word I saw was " late 2018".
So definitely not Jan 1.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
no, it is not.
Where was this officially announced?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Look at that thread referenced upstream. During an investors conference Marriott leadership was quoted as saying it probably would not happen until late 2018. They need to get everything on the same compute platform first, then they will go about merging.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

reposting due to questions in other threads

feb 16 2017 (and there may be earlier quotes) >
Originally Posted by Sorenson
different rules around qualification for Elite level...You certainly should not expect that we will have one program anytime in 2017. Whether we will in 2018 is something we will work to maximize the chances for, but we don't have a date to give you yet.
files.shareholder.com/downloads/MAR/4088793841x0x928688/D97DF6AB-FF5C-433D-9817-7D5084FF22DC/MAR_TRANSCRIPT_Q4_2016_FINAL.pdf

Q2 report scheduled for aug 7 2017
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's too late for them to announce somehting this big for January. I'm sure they'll give people a decent amount of notice for planning purposes.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I find Marriott frustrating and also misleading. Frustrating because you cannot search multiple rates at 1x. You must search AAA, first. Then Corp rate or promo code second. Misleading because the rate shown isn't always the total rate. You are shown the first nights rate... and the rate may change after that. Whereas with SPG you can search multiple rates and are shown the average rate for all nights (so it doesn't matter if the rate changes). I also like SPGs "flexible date" search which allows you to see if it behooves you to come a day later or earlier, etc. With Marriott - it's search one day and one rate a time. Takes a lot longer to complete.

To your point, most people become used to a website - and that's what they like/know. But for me, I'd prefer transparency over ease... although clearly both are best.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's too late for them to announce somehting this big for January. I'm sure they'll give people a decent amount of notice for planning purposes.
We can only hope. Keep in mind if the merge is not so good for us, there will be little chance to burn & bail. MR has not always been good about advance announcements and we must keep up with what's happening and we each must decide what is good for us. There will be some happy with the changes and some not so happy. Remember, they have the right to just cancel the existing programs and make everyone start from scratch.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
We will be screwed over at the end. Either the new top tier will be announced overnight effective Jan 1 2018 or we will be "gifted" a 'nice' book for Christmas. Come 2019 we'll start regular "remember the spg plat days" at non-"reformed" properties throughout the globe.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I find Marriott frustrating and also misleading. Frustrating because you cannot search multiple rates at 1x. You must search AAA, first. Then Corp rate or promo code second. Misleading because the rate shown isn't always the total rate. You are shown the first nights rate... and the rate may change after that. Whereas with SPG you can search multiple rates and are shown the average rate for all nights (so it doesn't matter if the rate changes). I also like SPGs "flexible date" search which allows you to see if it behooves you to come a day later or earlier, etc. With Marriott - it's search one day and one rate a time. Takes a lot longer to complete.
Hearty +1. Marriott site is TERRIBLE for comparing rates. Good for the company, bad for the consumer.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
. Good for the company, bad for the consumer.
like hotel mergers
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

To your point, most people become used to a website - and that's what they like/know. But for me, I'd prefer transparency over ease... although clearly both are best.
I've never found the search multiple dates function to be very useful. It only shows availability for a single rate plan. More importantly, when some promo rates are revenue managed to be "available" at different prices on different nights, it's more misleading than helpful. For example, if you search for the "pay your birth year" promo, knowing it's available doesn't matter if the rate can be (for example) $89 one night but $179 on another night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.