Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:36 am

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
My experience:
Royal Orchid Bangkok...always at least a junior suite ( 25 or 30 stays)...the best hotel in BKK
Saigon...always to a suite
Hong Kong...50/50
Westin Taipei...never
Lai lai taipei...never ( and it's a dump, or at least was before the recent renovation, maybe better now)
Beijing ...rarely
Shanghai Tai Ping...50/50
Singapore... 1 in 10 ( I now stay at the Hyatt ) in stark contrast to the old Westins which were good for upgrades)
Four Points Sydney..usually an upgrade and the best value in Sydney
Sheraton on the Park Sydney...upgrade once in a while but never a suite.
Westin Sydney...no, but it's nice
Westin Melbourne...never ( unless a corner room counts....but often a view of a brick wall)
Hanoi....always a suite
Chiang Mai...ditto
Kuala Lumpur...Subang and Westin to suites, the Imperial not.
I have spent 63 nights year to date in SPG so far this year and will probably do 80 for the year. That compares to 25 stays( mostly just overnight) at Hyatt. In my view SPG , with the excpetion of Singapore and jakarta, beats the hell out of Hyatt on just about every count. It would be nice to see a little more consistency though.

[QUOTE=Starwood Lurker]We’ve heard your feedback from various postings here on Flyertalk regarding this issue and would like to do a brief survey. If
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, BA blue
I mostly stay at Berlin Westin. Each time upgrade to a suite or junior suite.
Munich Grand Sheraton never a suite only upg to tower floor.
BKK Royal Orched = junior suite.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:59 pm

Stayed at the W Union Square (New York) last weekend and was denied a suite upgrade when they were available for sale for the entire length of stay. I was upgraded from a "Spectacular" to a "Mega" which isn't too big of a deal in this hotel as it seems to just add extra empty space to an already large room size.

I inquired about suite availability at check in as this was a paid leisure stay and was told none were available. I rechecked the website when I got upstairs and could still book an "Urban" suite, so I called SPG customer service to see if these were eligible for the upgrade or not. She called the property in turn and said they'd put me on a list for suites, but was only able to tell me otherwise that properties set their rules individually and that there was no way of knowing if a suite was available for upgrades or not.

If nothing, I would have appreciated the front desk person telling me that the suites available for sale were not available for upgrades. Instead, I still think I should have gotten the upgrade and that the upgrade benefit with SPG is pretty marginal as nobody seems to be able to explain how it is supposed to work. I'm new to the program this year and so far have received zero suites at eight stays across five properties.

(By the way, I had an excellent stay- the location was excellent, room service was insanely delicious, and the view was beautiful. The only downsides were 15+ minute elevator wait times and $15/day internet access fees. I'd stay again if my favorite, the Four Seasons, was sold out.)
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fisherman
Stayed at the W Union Square (New York) last weekend ... I'd stay again if my favorite, the Four Seasons, was sold out.)
Wow; got to say I'm quite surprised if you find the W the second-best hotel in NY after the FS! I mean, it's nice, but not THAT nice.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by NickW
Wow; got to say I'm quite surprised if you find the W the second-best hotel in NY after the FS! I mean, it's nice, but not THAT nice.
Agree with you completely on this - was merely meaning to say it's a decent alternative in the case of a sold out FS. I enjoyed the location for its neighborhoody feel, adjacency to interesting food and shopping, and for SPG. Besides, if the FS is full pretty much anything else feels like a letdown anyhow.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I don't know if that's right...

Originally Posted by fisherman
I inquired about suite availability at check in as this was a paid leisure stay and was told none were available. I rechecked the website when I got upstairs and could still book an "Urban" suite, so I called SPG customer service to see if these were eligible for the upgrade or not. She called the property in turn and said they'd put me on a list for suites, but was only able to tell me otherwise that properties set their rules individually and that there was no way of knowing if a suite was available for upgrades or not.

Something similar happened to me and the results were slightly different. This was at a Sheraton in North Carolina - like you, I asked for a suite upgrade. "For $200." was the curt reply. Once in my room, I called SPG's Platinum Concierge to ask about it (as well as some other problems I was having with the property).

My concierge was very apologetic and courteous. She called the front desk and was told that this hotel was not managed by Starwood and, therefore had their own rules about suite upgrades. She apologized to me and said that she was filing a complaint against the property because they are supposed to comply with SPG's promises.

I don't know what came of it on the hotel's end, but my concierge was so nice and understanding that I got over being mad. Still, can a hotel use the Starwood name, advertising, promises and promos and then deny the benefits to the guests and get away with it?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Plat,Delta Plat, WN A-list & CP,SPG Plat, HiltonH DM,Hyatt Plat,Amex Centurion, Hertz Plat
Their Lips were moving……..Downgraded at the W San Francisco

We had two rooms last week October 19-23, when I checked in at the desk I requested an upgrade, none available, next asked not to be near the elevator, told no problem.

Once at the room that evening, settling in, I hear loud rushing sounds, I realized we were assigned a room next to the elevator shaft. (On backside of shaft, from door not apparent) I thought maybe at the bed, which is further away from the elevator; maybe it wouldn’t be so loud, wrong. I went down to the front desk to be reassigned a room, the young woman assured me the property was sold out and could not accommodate my request, she said it was such and such a room and was designed to be quiet. I mentioned she was welcome to come up and listen for herself. I finally requested to speak to a manager; well he was at the next terminal.

He tells me, he does have other rooms, but they were all the same circumstance. Getting nowhere, I was assured it would be handled the next day & moved. The next day, before we leave for the day, we packed all our 7 bags, had them setting conveniently by the door for the bellman. At 1:00 or so I call the hotel to confirm what arrangements had been made. The front desk had no record of what happened and had no idea what I was talking about. So I go through the whole thing again, they assure me they will make the change, move us to another room and our keys will be at the front desk when we return.

When we returned that evening, I go to the front desk to get our new key, then I’m handed the key for our same existing room. No record or any movement, at all.

So in summary, the staff is friendly, there lips move, but nothing happens.
(no welcome amenities)

Last edited by rifle57; Nov 2, 2005 at 6:41 am
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rifle57
We had two rooms last week October 19-23, when I checked in at the desk I requested an upgrade, none available, next asked not to be near the elevator, told no problem.

Once at the room that evening, settling in, I hear loud rushing sounds, I realized we were assigned a room next to the elevator shaft. (On backside of shaft, from door not apparent) I thought maybe at the bed, which is further away from the elevator; maybe it wouldn’t be so loud, wrong. I went down to the front desk to be reassigned a room, the young woman assured me the property was sold out and could not accommodate my request, she said it was such and such a room and was designed to be quiet. I mentioned she was welcome to come up and listen for herself. I finally requested to speak to a manager; well he was at the next terminal.

He tells me, he does have other rooms, but they were all the same circumstance. Getting nowhere, I was assured it would be handled the next day & moved. The next day, before we leave for the day, we packed all our 7 bags, had them setting conveniently by the door for the bellman. At 1:00 or so I call the hotel to confirm what arrangements had been made. The front desk had no record of what happened and had no idea what I was talking about. So I go through the whole thing again, they assure me they will make the change, move us to another room and our keys will be at the front desk when we return.

When we returned that evening, I go to the front desk to get our new key, then I’m handed the key for our same existing room. No record or any movement, at all.

So in summary, the staff is friendly, there lips move, but nothing happens.
(no welcome amenities)
wow. that's really brutal. i'm sure you filed a complaint with Hotel Customer Services, right? what was the outcome?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Checked into Westin SFO Airport last night. No upgrade, hotel completely sold out. Platinum ammenity not offered. Stopped by the front desk to ask about platinum ammenity and got a blank stare, then this, "I am not sure what you mean by Platinum Amenity, we don't do that here." To much hassle to check out and move somewhere else, but I know where I won't stay next time I am in the area.

RIP...
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Plat,Delta Plat, WN A-list & CP,SPG Plat, HiltonH DM,Hyatt Plat,Amex Centurion, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
wow. that's really brutal. i'm sure you filed a complaint with Hotel Customer Services, right? what was the outcome?
The reply from Customer Services in part said:

“At the W San Francisco we do take complaints seriously and follow up on things that went wrong as we definitely want to address them with our staff. I researched your reservations….. I apologize that we failed to move you the next day which is unacceptable. Your reservation was flagged to be moved and we will follow up with our staff why this did not happen. I understand you are a valuable SPG PLATINUM member and I would like to offer you 5000 SPG points to your SPG account for the inconvenience.”

I do appreciate the prompt response and the points for the inconvenience, however I wish the front desk of any property when they make a mistake, would just apologize and fix it, rather than say “the room is this type, blah, blah, blah and can’t be noisy”, “we are sold out when they are not”, or say they are going to do something when they are not.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:39 am
kjw

Programs: UA PremEx, NWA Gold, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Sheraton Hartford

Sheraton Hartford did not upgrade even after repeated inquiries. After checking into my regular room, I checked availability online and saw better rooms were still available.

The fact is, Sheraton Hartford doesn't seem to know how to treat platinums. I referenced this in another post as well.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Just checked-in to the W City Center in Chicago. I read several threads about the great treatment of Platinums. No upgrade or amenity received. I will chat with the manager when I go back down as I intend to use the 4pm checkout tomorrow.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Just wanted to update my previous post. I inquired about the Platinum Amenity and was told they gave me the points. I was told the choices are a movie, a tote bag or points and they just give everyone points. I suggested that they might ask in the future. I know the person I spoke with on the phone felt badly as they sent an additional amenity to my room (bottle of water and a huge bar of Bliss soap). My stay has been very good, no problem with the 4pm checkout. The restaurant staff at breakfast today was excellent. The GM's email address is on the bill and I will follow up with an email to him during the week.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:18 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by kjw
Sheraton Hartford did not upgrade even after repeated inquiries. After checking into my regular room, I checked availability online and saw better rooms were still available.

The fact is, Sheraton Hartford doesn't seem to know how to treat platinums. I referenced this in another post as well.
Remember, this place was a Ramada Inn 5 years ago.......
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Zippo at the Westin Stamford this week. I even asked if they had my Platinum number on the reservation.
For some reason I was listed still as gold. I hit Plat about 2 weeks ago.
Asked if they would update that, response was that he didn't know how.

It was late, I was tired, so I just went to the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.