Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by rwill11
As Diamond HHonors member I was thinking of trying to get a Platinum status comp. After reading this thread I'm really thinking twice. Do I understand that as a spgplat you have to basically beg for a simple thing like an upgrade?
Sorry. I wouldn't know. I'm not a Platinum member in the program. Although I do stay in our hotels, I have never asked for an upgrade, but have received many.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
I just looked online and it looks like this is a "Kool Korner" Suite, about $40 more than the basic room. Also looks like there are a few "Deluxe Suites" here (about $100 more than the basic suite) but not sure if they are available for Plat upgrade. The corner room also has a very nice massage chair, my wife hasnt moved from it since we moved in, and she wont let me go down and ask about the availability of a Deluxe Suite upgrade...
From past experience at this property, they essentially have three room types that are prevalent within the property:

Standard Suites - fairly large rooms, nothing special
Kool Korners - Corner rooms with about 2/3rds of them having massage chairs (they were looking at buying more last time I asked)
Deluxe Suites - 2 bedrooms + 2 bathroom + living/work area

IMHO, I'd stick to the Kool Korner if you're fortunate to have one with the massage chair - the Deluxe suites don't have them. Also this property is very hit and miss with upgrades and more often than not I've had to push for them. Also if you're on an extended stay and check-in on a weekend, they don't seem to have a full house-keeping staff / don't clean all the rooms as I've found Kool Korners online after checking in, and been told they weren't available because the rooms weren't clean and housekeeping had already gone home. That said, I did get moved the following day, but YMMV.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Sheraton Heliopolis Hotel

Just stayed at the Sheraton Helipolis one 01/04/05 for one night (becuase we checked out early due to being put into a horrible room.

Checked in around 1am and was given a basic room, with ONE twin size bed, smoking to add to the pain. Went back down and told them I was Platinum and asked if there were any suites available and was told "NO" but that I could get a "wonderful" pool view. The room was exactly the same with only a hint of a view of the water. I contacted the Platinum desk (not cheap from Egypt by the way) and the concierge I spoke with told me there were numerous suites available for sale ( I had also see this on the website for myself). She called the front desk to handle the situation. The front desk manager then called me and told me that nothing was available, as he had already told me that--but just this once-he would give me access to the club floor (Ugh isnt that a benefit anyways???). I have a feeling that they told the concierge they would take care of me, but then in fact they didn't. At 3am I was just ready to crash and forget about it, we checked out early the next day in search of a better hotel.
--Oh and no platinum amenity either....
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Westin Galleria Dallas. Despite Platinum status and a reservation made more than two weeks in advance, they wouldn't even give me the King bed that I had confirmed via reservations. I had to politely kick and scream until someone sighed, went to the back, and came out telling me how he had rearranged a floor and downgraded several people to get me a king bed.

After more than a dozen stays here, I hate this property.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:53 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I had vowed never to stay in this hotel again because of SPG Platinum compliance in the past, but my client was actually staying there this time, so...

Check in was on Sunday. I had made the reservation Sat morning on spg.com and rates shown very good availability, even weekend promo rates. So, fully expected suites were available. On the way from the airport, in the taxi, five minutes before reaching the hotel, I called their reservations department, and asked the availability for TWO standard suites. The girl replied, yes available, had special weekend rates of USD250/night. I just said thank you.

Arriving at hotel just as I hung up, went to checkin. I asked for room upgrade to suite. Said none was available. So, I asked did any TWO people just checked into the suites a few minutes ago? He said no, no one check in. Then, I asked him to check the computer again. Still nothing available. I told him I had just checked with Reservations five minutes ago. Well, still nothing available. I asked for the Front Desk Manager. The clerk called someone (presumably the Manager), and a suite suddenly became available! I said "So, indeed there WAS a suite"! You know the guy's reply: "Yes, we had to move someone else out".

I was thinking, hmmm, maybe there weren't really any STANDARD suites available, and that they had upgraded me to the Mandarin Suite. However, when I got to the room, it was just the standard executive suite that I had to fight for an upgrade the last time I was here. And, certainyl, they did not just kick someone out...the room was fully set up for new guest arrival already.

I really can't understand why this hotel was voted one of the best business hotels in China for 2004, and still have such problems for frequest Starwood guests.
I am surprised to hear that, since the St.Regis Shanghai was one of my best experiences, when my reservation was handled by my company and they became aware of my Plat status, they immediately faxed back that they consider me as a VIP guest, this was in 2002 during the ASEAN conference, when I arrived there everything was taken care off and I received an upgrade to a Suite without having to ask for, very very nice, but I must say that I stayed two weeks there.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I've been upgraded to some very nice suites/rooms at some very nice properties in the past few months (i.e. The Atlantic, Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport, Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre, Westin Whistler, Westin St. Louis, Sheraton Overland Park, etc.).

The places I've had trouble as of late are:

Westin Harbour Castle (Toronto): I had to fight for a higher floor, and finally got a Junior Suite on the North Tower but low floor (NOTE! North Tower room decor is ghetto and outdated! Stay in the South Tower!). They have suites but they say those are not "upgradeable" for Plats. Is this true?... William?! Out of my dozen stays there, they give me the same speech.

Sheraton Eau Claire Suites (Calgary): Very difficult to get an upgrade to any of their club floor suites/jacuzzi suites. I stayed there for 12 weeks in a row and never ever once got higher than the 12th floor (there are 15 floors).

Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown: I was on a prepaid rate so the front desk clerk wouldn't offer me an upgrade when I called in the day of to ask. I told her she was misinformed but with no success could I convince her. I was finally upgraded to a suite after I got Customer Service to call the property to inform them that they were wrong in denying me an upgrade.

Four Points York (Pennsylvania): I was on a points stay and the front desk clerk told me I was not entitled to an upgrade since I was on points. I wasn't 100% aware of the SPG rules for Plats, so I accepted it. But when I went onto FT to check, I realized this was incorrect and called Customer Service to call them. The front desk clerk called me back to apologize but offered nothing to fix the situation.

One thing that I have noticed (not necessarily related to above properties, but mostly FP's): Hotels with front desk clerks who are of the teenager variety seem to have no concept of customer appreciation and service, IMHO.

~~~

I will be staying at the Westin Tabor in Denver this weekend, and from what I've read on FT about this property, I am a little worried!!! Not sure what to do as it's the closest SPG to Union Station (we will be taking the Ski Train and would like to be in walking distance of the station). Perhaps I will call in advance to request one... will report back here on the outcome... (oh, and I'm using the Free Weekend Nights promo Friday to Monday).

Last edited by yyznomad; Feb 3, 2005 at 3:17 am
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
...The places I've had trouble as of late are:
Westin Harbour Castle (Toronto): I had to fight for a higher floor, and finally got a Junior Suite on the North Tower but low floor (NOTE! North Tower room decor is ghetto and outdated! Stay in the South Tower!). They have suites but they say those are not "upgradeable" for Plats. Is this true?... William?! Out of my dozen stays there, they give me the same speech.

This is probably true. Every hotel that has suites usually has some that are not standard category suites.

Sheraton Eau Claire Suites (Calgary): Very difficult to get an upgrade to any of their club floor suites/jacuzzi suites. I stayed there for 12 weeks in a row and never ever once got higher than the 12th floor (there are 15 floors).

In order to know if there was a problem here, I would have to know stay dates (as long as it is within 45 days of checking out) and your SPG account number.

Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown: I was on a prepaid rate so the front desk clerk wouldn't offer me an upgrade when I called in the day of to ask. I told her she was misinformed but with no success could I convince her. I was finally upgraded to a suite after I got Customer Service to call the property to inform them that they were wrong in denying me an upgrade.

Probably there was confusion between pre-paid rates booked on Starwood web sites, which are eligible to be upgraded, and pre-paid rates booked on third-party web sites, which aren't.

Four Points York (Pennsylvania): I was on a points stay and the front desk clerk told me I was not entitled to an upgrade since I was on points. I wasn't 100% aware of the SPG rules for Plats, so I accepted it. But when I went onto FT to check, I realized this was incorrect and called Customer Service to call them. The front desk clerk called me back to apologize but offered nothing to fix the situation.

Again, to determine whether or not the hotel was non-compliant, I would have to have the stay date and your SPG account number.

One thing that I have noticed (not necessarily related to above properties, but mostly FP's): Hotels with front desk clerks who are of the teenager variety seem to have no concept of customer appreciation and service, IMHO.

You should report any service deficiencies to Hotel Customer Service whenever they are encountered. 800-328-6242.

I will be staying at the Westin Tabor in Denver this weekend, and from what I've read on FT about this property, I am a little worried!!! Not sure what to do as it's the closest SPG to Union Station (we will be taking the Ski Train and would like to be in walking distance of the station). Perhaps I will call in advance to request one... will report back here on the outcome... (oh, and I'm using the Free Weekend Nights promo Friday to Monday).

Calling in advance for an upgrade would be dependent upon the hotel's generosity as the benefit is to receive the best available room at check-in, including select standard suites.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks, William. I am currently working with a customer service agent in making sure that these problems won't happen again. You will be my very, very last mode of battle ^
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by rwill11
As Diamond HHonors member I was thinking of trying to get a Platinum status comp. After reading this thread I'm really thinking twice. Do I understand that as a spgplat you have to basically beg for a simple thing like an upgrade?
Unfortunately, its been my experience that most of the time the answer is yes.

I have had some amazing upgrades, but most of the time the upgrade is not there and I even have to ask for the Platinum Amenity.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SPG Plat
AAA Rates & Platinum Upgrades

This is for William:

There's another thread I posted to yesterday where AAA rates were being discussed. See <http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3702116&postcount=6>.

Should I expect to get Platinum upgrades when I have a reservation on a AAA rate that was booked on the SPG web site? I've been denied upgrades and Platinum benefits at a number of SPG properties when using AAA rates, so I've stopped booking those rates.

Is there a stock answer for this? The hotels in question have been a variety of Westin, Luxury Collection, and W Hotels.

Thanks,
Rik
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Unfortunately, its been my experience that most of the time the answer is yes.

I have had some amazing upgrades, but most of the time the upgrade is not there and I even have to ask for the Platinum Amenity.

My experience is different. I have had some fantastic upgrades.

On only 2 stays have I not received an upgrade , and that was when I booked a hig cat room and the hotel was busy.

I am very happy with SPG and If you have a chance to get Plat take it.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rikahlberg
This is for William:

There's another thread I posted to yesterday where AAA rates were being discussed. See <http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3702116&postcount=6>.

Should I expect to get Platinum upgrades when I have a reservation on a AAA rate that was booked on the SPG web site? I've been denied upgrades and Platinum benefits at a number of SPG properties when using AAA rates, so I've stopped booking those rates.

Is there a stock answer for this? The hotels in question have been a variety of Westin, Luxury Collection, and W Hotels.

Thanks,
Rik
Any rate booked on Starwood's proprietary web sites make you eligible to receive full in-house elite member benefits. My best guess is that no upgraded rooms were available when you checked in that 1) matched what you booked originally; i.e. bedding and smoking preferences, and/or 2) were not available for the full length of your intended stay.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
WDW Swan Sun-Wed earlier this week. At check-in tried the "Premex line" and asked to be upgraded to a suite as a loyal Platinum customer. Check-in agent went to the back room (where magical things usually happen). Came out after a few min with a "no" because we were with a group (small meeting of <20 people), and our rate was too low ($189/night). Did not have the energy to pursue it further.

We were put into a small room right next to the elevator on one of the club floors (beware: the elevators at the Swan are pretty loud), and was offered the amenity.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:03 pm

LHR Sheraton Heathrow--what a place!!! Not even a decent room-the spyhole on the door was blocked with a tissue!! NO deluxe room-- no special Sheraton Beds--maybe the rate did not qaulify for the upgrades!! Did get the Platinum benefit though. Although there was a meeting there the place did appear quite empty. In the past I got mineral water complimentary--there was not even a bottle nearby and of course no shortbread cookies on the coffee/ tea facility. I think they are trying to do as little as possible for platinums or getting back to me for the criticisms I had made earlier!!! The rate was good at 51GBP + tax.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by skofarrell
WDW Swan Sun-Wed earlier this week. At check-in tried the "Premex line" and asked to be upgraded to a suite as a loyal Platinum customer. Check-in agent went to the back room (where magical things usually happen). Came out after a few min with a "no" because we were with a group (small meeting of <20 people), and our rate was too low ($189/night). Did not have the energy to pursue it further.

We were put into a small room right next to the elevator on one of the club floors (beware: the elevators at the Swan are pretty loud), and was offered the amenity.
Was your room rate for the club floor? It sounds like you had an upgrade; although, they should have probably left the part out about your rate being too low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.