Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
Sheraton Premier - Tysons Corner, VA - never

Seems like they don't even know what the program is if you check in late - as I have in the past. Maybe it's because the bartender was coming over to run the front desk in his spare time the last time I was there. (I wish I was kidding, but I'm not)

I have had the EXACT same experience at this hotel, among other notable complaints which have yet to be followed up on in any sort of acceptable manner. Have you tried to invoke the 'Sheraton Service Promise' ever? I think they consider the 'Sheraton Service Promise' to just simpy righting the wrong to what they should have been doing all along and not offering any sort of compensation for your troubles or their mistakes.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
Sheraton Premier - Tysons Corner, VA - never

Seems like they don't even know what the program is if you check in late - as I have in the past. Maybe it's because the bartender was coming over to run the front desk in his spare time the last time I was there. (I wish I was kidding, but I'm not)
Originally Posted by SpiralEx
I have had the EXACT same experience at this hotel, among other notable complaints which have yet to be followed up on in any sort of acceptable manner. Have you tried to invoke the 'Sheraton Service Promise' ever? I think they consider the 'Sheraton Service Promise' to just simpy righting the wrong to what they should have been doing all along and not offering any sort of compensation for your troubles or their mistakes.
I have only stayed at this property a few times but have been treated fairly well each time. My last visit was on April 29 and despite arriving well after 10:00PM, we were given the presidential suite on the top floor and breakfast vouchers for use in the restaurant the following morning. Altogether, not bad deal for our $79 rate. ^ Admittedly, we did not encounter any issues that required invocation of the “Sheraton Service Promise” so I cannot comment about the responsiveness of the staff.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Once out of 10 stays

I am a Platinum member 80147286213, and go to the Westin Grand Bohemian in Orlando every two months with my family, and book two connecting rooms. Once I was upgraded to a suite with second connecting room. All the other stays, no upgrades, no amentities whatsoever, nothing at all. Each tim, I ask, do you have my Platinum number in the record? Very polite answer, yes sir.
It makes the Platinum program seem like a joke.
Old May 9, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dh01
I am a Platinum member 8xxxxxxxxxx, and go to the Westin Grand Bohemian in Orlando every two months with my family, and book two connecting rooms...
If the number listed in your original post is your real platinum number, I would strongly urge you to delete it from your message (as I have done in the quote above). It is not a good idea to post personal information in a public forum.
Old May 9, 2005, 3:14 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
I've stayed at the Prince de Gaulle in Paris several times now and, while the first time I was apologized to, I have never been upgraded.
Old May 9, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
patient negotiation

Originally Posted by RayinMaui
I've stayed at the Prince de Gaulle in Paris several times now and, while the first time I was apologized to, I have never been upgraded.
The Prince de Galles requires patient negotiation for upgrades. Sometimes an upgrade will be granted on the second or third day of your stay if you are pollitely insistent. It is, however, a small hotel and does sometimes actually sell out its suites.
Old May 9, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Thumbs down Four Points Cincinnati

Not only did I not receive an upgrade, they didn't even have a king bed avaiable for me (as reserved.) I was told by the guy who checked me in that they were all given out... Of course, they were still avaiable to be reserved on the website after I got in my room.

The whole deal started bad when I was "walked" by the valet. He told me valet parking was full but I could park in the lot next to the hotel for only $15 (vs the $20 charge for valet.) There was no attendant, we'll see if my car is still there in the morning.

FWIW

DLM
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat LT; Marriott Plat LT; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Gold
Westin Galleria Dallas

Checked in yesterday and inquired about possible upgrade. Was informed by the desk clerk that the hotel is sold out, and no upgrade possible. Obviously, I checked with SPG when I went to my room. It turns out, plenty of rooms available. I should have made it clear that I wanted a club floor upgrade, not a suite upgrade. But, clerk should have been more honest about room availability and made sure I would be happy with room I got.

Are club floor rooms off limits as far as platinum upgrades are concerned?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by flyingdagger
Checked in yesterday and inquired about possible upgrade. Was informed by the desk clerk that the hotel is sold out, and no upgrade possible. Obviously, I checked with SPG when I went to my room. It turns out, plenty of rooms available. I should have made it clear that I wanted a club floor upgrade, not a suite upgrade. But, clerk should have been more honest about room availability and made sure I would be happy with room I got.

Are club floor rooms off limits as far as platinum upgrades are concerned?

You should have be upgraded to the club floor if it was available or given access to the club if the club rooms were sold out.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:44 pm

Programs: US AIR GOLD, SPG GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD, HERTZ PRES. CIRCLE
4 Points Harrisburg

Never an upgrade.

During my last stay I had enough of the lack of upgrades (three times previous) and got the SPG concierge involved to force hotel to observe "Best available room at check in" policy.

Hotel desk manager emailed to explain the reason for my lack of upgrades, here’s an excerpt:

"Further compounding the situation is Starwoods requirement of a late check out option of 4PM. This makes suite availability even more limited as SPG members most likely already occupy the suites from the previous day and stay past our guaranteed check-in time of 3PM. Additionally we need time to service the room prior to making it available to occupy again."

Mind you I was checking in on an early Monday afternoon and there were about 3 cars in the parking lot and the SPG website showed suites available. SPG website continued to show suites available as of 10:30 P.M. that same night.

Does my complaint have merit?

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m3brian
Mind you I was checking in on an early Monday afternoon and there were about 3 cars in the parking lot and the SPG website showed suites available. SPG website continued to show suites available as of 10:30 P.M. that same night.

Does my complaint have merit?

Thanks
if it's a business person hotel, the parking lot would be empty on a monday early afternoon. but, if you see plenty of suites on spg.com, you might have a claim. the exception would be if the suites were "specialty" suites, whatever that means. call customer service, that's the only way problems will be corrected.

you are welcome.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 12:13 am

We have suites available but I was told not to upgrade you.

That's what the front desk agent at the Westin Casuarina said when I asked about any suite upgrades. I was told any requests for upgrades were being handled by the SPG/VIP desk manager. After checking in at the SPG desk and getting a standard room I spoke to the front desk manager who explained that the front desk clerk did not know who would be arriving and that the suites were being held for people checking in on Friday and Saturday.

Checking in on Thursday for a 4 night stay I was not really expecting to get a suite upgrade, but I was also not expecting to be told yes we have suites, we just don't want to give any to you.

Last edited by intwrite; Aug 15, 2005 at 12:15 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT TIT
Upgrade rescinded after cancellation deadline

Stayed at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass over Aug 6 weekend. Spg.com showed upgrade from deluxe to Exec Suite up to 3 days prior to arrival. I checked the reservation again after the 3 day cancellation deadline and saw that the room has been changed back to deluxe and that was what I got at check in. A question to the wise minds out there: Do hotels pre-block rooms for upgrade if they change your reservation on spg.com or do they continue to sell them until the very last minute prior to check in?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:15 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Beanstalk
Stayed at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass over Aug 6 weekend. Spg.com showed upgrade from deluxe to Exec Suite up to 3 days prior to arrival. I checked the reservation again after the 3 day cancellation deadline and saw that the room has been changed back to deluxe and that was what I got at check in. A question to the wise minds out there: Do hotels pre-block rooms for upgrade if they change your reservation on spg.com or do they continue to sell them until the very last minute prior to check in?
The complimentary upgrade is subject to availability until the moment you arrive to take possession of the room. If I had to guess, I would say that a VIP member probably arrived unexpectedly and bumped you out of the upgrade the hotel had pre-assigned. So, in effect, no the hotel is not actively out there selling the room type they pre-assigned, but they are within their rights to make adjustments as necessary for special situations.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:18 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by intwrite
That's what the front desk agent at the Westin Casuarina said when I asked about any suite upgrades. I was told any requests for upgrades were being handled by the SPG/VIP desk manager. After checking in at the SPG desk and getting a standard room I spoke to the front desk manager who explained that the front desk clerk did not know who would be arriving and that the suites were being held for people checking in on Friday and Saturday.

Checking in on Thursday for a 4 night stay I was not really expecting to get a suite upgrade, but I was also not expecting to be told yes we have suites, we just don't want to give any to you.
The suite has to be available for all the nights of your stay; unless of course you can work it out with the hotel to take possession of it for a limited time period and give it up on the day they need it. Some hotels are hesitant to do this depending upon what their local innskeeper laws say.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.