Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Customer Support - Shooting at hotel - how to handle such situation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Customer Support - Shooting at hotel - how to handle such situation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think the OP should get zero points, not 5,000. This wasn't the hotel's fault and there's no indication that the safety of other guests was compromised. It's not as if the hotel is in a bad neighborhood and some local criminal murdered a guest in the hallway, nor is there any indication that the hotel knowingly rents rooms to known violent criminals.

If the OP wishes to overreact and change hotels, it could be an optional good customer service gesture to give a refund for the unused nights, assuming that the guest advised hotel management of the plan to leave and the reasons. It could also be a good customer service gesture to give some small something to those who temporarily changed rooms after the murder/suicide. However, I understand from the OP that these guests were away from the hotel during the time when people were temporarily relocated in other rooms, so that this inconveneince would not have affected the OP. I also understand from the OP that the guest just moved to the Hilton without advising the hotel of this fact so that the room could be released for other guests, so no refund is due here, nor should the first hotel pay anything toward the Hilton stay.

Assuming that the OP ultimately does pay for the Starwood stay, since the OP did arrive and stay the first night, it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to give points and nights credit for the entire paid period as hotels don't always monitor departure times and sometimes give additional credit for stays when there has been an early departure, but this is a YMMV situation and the award of such points and nights credit should not be SPG policy.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts to!

Where in all this did the hotel do anything wrong and why is SPG somehow to blame. Its not like someone broke into a hotel room and murdered guests, this was very much a domestic instance that unfortunately happened in the same hotel you were staying at. If your neighbors 2 doors down committed a murder suicide would you move out of your house for 4 weeks?

Take the 5k points and consider if a very reasonable offer!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by nicksal
The hotel wound up evacuating everybody in our wing from their rooms, and offered everybody replacement rooms. Since we were going to be gone all day, we chose to just leave.
@nicksal, Did you check out of the hotel or did you literally just packed your bags and leave.

We actually wound up checking in to a Hilton down the street. It is now the 22nd and we still haven't been back to the hotel. I filed a report with SPG customer service, and the hotel wound up calling me a few days later apologizing and saying they would give me 5,000 Starpoints. I was pretty offended they only offered me 5,000 Starpoints, given that I had a 25-day reservation and spent thousands of dollars with them, my kids were with me, I checked in to another hotel, etc. I was heading in to a business meeting, so I didn't really have the time to express that to the hotel rep on the phone, so I took the 5,000 Starpoints.

I contacted SPG directly over the phone the next day and expressed how I felt that was not reasonable. 5,000 Starpoints would only get me 1 free night at the hotel. They asked me how much I feel I should get, and I responded, "a substantial amount". They said they would contact me within a week, but it's been a week now and I haven't heard anything back yet. It is now the 22nd and I have wasted 15 days now.

And while I don't blame the hotel directly for what happened, I do expect them to have great customer support when dealing with stuff like this.
As some other posters mentioned, you should be dealing with property and not SPG. Also, since you are still in the area, why not just stop by and speak with them directly. You were not walked / displaced by the hotel due to this unfortunate event. You made a choice and unless I am mistaken, you just left (?) and was expecting the hotel to just contact you. Did you receive a new room before you left for Hilton? There could be a pile of messages under the door of your new room.

Right now I am a gold member, and was hoping to reach Platinum with this stay because I have extensive traveling planned in 2016. I would like to avoid receiving a refund because I need most of these nights to qualify (even though one was never offered).
I am guessing you have a good rate at the SPG or it is paid for by your company hence the added reluctance to cancel. That said, if you push and the hotel realised you are off the property and had not been there since night 1, out of goodwill, they will likely refund 24 nights and you will get 1 stay + 1 night for this trip.

In the spirit of helping a fellow traveller, and assuming
(1) You do not want a refund
(2) You want the stay and night credits
(3) You do not need them to comp your Hilton (do not even go there)
(4) Your stay / reservation is still active at the SPG property

(i) Make your presence seen / felt for the remaining of your reservation
(ii) Request for MAGC if you did not already do that
(iii) Check out at the end

By doing the above, you will
(I) Get your 25 nights
(II) Get your points for the thousands of dollars paid.
(III) Get additional 500 MAGC points for each night where no housekeeping was provided (subjected to certain rules)
(IV) Get your Plat status
(V) Get the additional bonus points under current promotion

You may still make a feedback after the stay and they might give you more goodwill points but the first 5,000 points is already enough for 1 night as you yourself mentioned. You life nor your family was never really at risk especially after the event and had you stayed, the only inconvenience was to move to a new room. For the moving, 5,000 points was pretty generous. However, you chose to leave and that is not a property failure.

Again, if you need the nights, do not push too hard. If I manage the property, I might be tempted to refund you in full, let you keep the 5,000 points and you loose all chance of getting the nights which was what you really wanted and needed.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Unfortunately "bad" things happen, sometimes being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. This of Paris as an example

The hotel did not cause this, they could not foresee it happening, and yes the terrible event happened very close to you which is shocking as it is but at the end of the day, not the fault of the hotel.

5,000 is a generous offer but if you choose to relocate to another hotel, at your own expense - go for it. Any other offers from the hotel is highly generous IMO.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
I came across this thread thanks to an E mail from Flyertalk and I can't believe what I have just read. The OP sums up everything that is wrong with people today......anything and everything is traumatic, everything is assessed in terms of compensation. Time to grow up and be a bit tougher and more dignified.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:15 am

Is this chap really whining publicly about not receiving enough compensation for someone committing murder/suicide in another hotel room? Certainly seems creepy to me that he would even want to profit in any material way from someone else's tragedy. So much human turmoil is attributable to this base corruption of personal greed and self-interest. Instead of compassionately recognising that he merely suffered inconvenience, he instead heaps his own complaints onto the hotel staff who already have had to deal with the horrendous aftermath of this tragedy... I find the tone of this thread rather sickening.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:28 am

In my personal opinion and I stress my opinion is as follows. First, the hotel could not have known or prevented this. Second, you have not wasted 15 days, yes waited but not wasted 15 days. 5000 points is appropriate.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Now that this thread has made TalkMail, expect more replies in a hurry.

Personally I would have expected (and almost certainly gotten) (1) a relocation to a comparable hotel and no refund, or a refund with no questions asked, and (2) an apology. I don't see what SPG points has anything to do with this. (Though I did once get 20,000 Hyatt points when I complained about the excessive number of aggressive/skanky hookers in the lobby bar at 47 Lex.)

I don't know why OP says he has wasted 15 days. That's not correct.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: BAE Gold, Qatar Premium, CX Gold, Emirates, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Shots

I know you're going to hate this but if you are on a "reservation" then you should expect to hear a few shots.
I wish I hadn't written that but seriously what did you expect? This was not the fault of the hotel so why didn't you just accept a room change and complete your stay?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
SPG is nice as I was on a plane and hte passenger behind me died in her sleep. I was delayed deboarding due to medical care. I received nothing nor ask for anything because it didn't impact my journey experience.

OP you are greedy.. Someone died and unless you had to clean off blood or give up DNA for investigation - carry on and mind your own.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SW A-list
Dude (or dudette), erstwhile OP: I live in southern Cal now, but I'm from Detroit. Gun shots in close proximity in my old hood is called "Tuesday" if you know what I mean. Bad things happen everywhere, but fortunately your family was fine. Take the 5K points and be thankful you're all OK. Hopefully you took the kids to SeaWorld, the amusement park at Pacific Beach, Legoland and enjoyed the rest of your trip. Safe travels.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: DL
This whole attitude is why so many costs have sky rocketed. A tragedy happens and we open our pockets wide and say 'I want money!!" We have become such a litigious society. Everyone wants to be compensated extravagantly when something goes wrong.

That hotel had zero fault in this situation. Yes, they should relocate you to another floor. Yes, they should comp the night but honestly, what do you expect them to do? What if a woman had been raped down the hall? How much is that worth to you? What if...you heard loud sex in the room next door and your kids heard it too. How much for that?

The ones who deserve to be compensated with our prayers and sympathy are the family members of the ones who were killed. Good grief man. Buck up. Take care of your family and focus your thoughts on the pain the survivors must be having.

Wouldn't surprise me if some guests hire a lawyer to sue the hotel for mental anguish and suffering. Because that's. just. what. we. do.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I've paid for the 25-day booking already - it was a pre-paid rate. They never offered a refund (assuming, because of it being pre-paid).
I'm a bit bemused as to why you want Starpoints but not a refund for the unused nights. With the refund you could book another stay somewhere and still get the points. I can't see them refusing a refund as that would be really bad publicity. In any case, why should you profit from someone else's tragic loss of life?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:04 am

COMMON! Is there anybody honest still out there?? You can honestly ask for some reasonable compensation from somebody who is at fault. Otherwise it's just taking advantage of situation, which is the same as rip off.

Did that hotel arrange for that shootout and everything else leading to your inconvenience? NO! Therefore it's just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. So get over it nicksal.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Compensation? For what? The hotel didn't cause this. One of the problems with the world today is people looking for something for nothing!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by roberino
I'm a bit bemused as to why you want Starpoints but not a refund for the unused nights. With the refund you could book another stay somewhere and still get the points. I can't see them refusing a refund as that would be really bad publicity. In any case, why should you profit from someone else's tragic loss of life?
The OP seems to have had a prepaid rate and then just left the hotel without informing anyone that he wanted to check out. Presumably the hotel had no way of knowing when they could sell his room to another guest. Given this, IMO the OP does not deserve a full refund for the nights he was not at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.