Wiki Posts
Search

SPG customer support hung up my call

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by onlycat
I do like the hotels selections and quality of the beds. However, during my recent stays in Vancouver and Toronto, I have been having problems and issues with the hotel staff, as well as customer support representatives. I have lost my patient to been royal to SPG anymore.

1. Sheraton Centre Toronto front desk insulted me twice, one during check out to ask me show the proof of payment; second, the hotel didn't provide free breakfast first day while I booked and paid for a club lounge. (I requested to downgrade to a lower floor, but didn't ask to downgrade my benefits!)

2. Called customer support at 11:55 am pst and spoke to one of the representative in regards of qualified nights at Sheraton hotels. I noticed she was unpleasant to help me and answer my questions, so that I asked her why. She hang me up immediately.

I am just shocked right now that since when SPG hired those employees and wonder if SPG ever train their staff?
Question? Is English your first language? Based on how you wrote the above, it appears English is not your first language and perhaps the rep/reps did not understand you or you them? Not making any excuses, as i was not present for the interactions, just a question.

Also, how do you view asking for form of payment at checkout "offensive"?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
It is unheard of to me. I never presented a credit card at checkout. Whether it was in the US or abroad. Mostly I checkout on the phone.
Outside of the USA, it's common for the front desk agent to ask for your credit card again at check out. Often they "run" the credit card through a machine or computer at that time and then you must sign for the bill, sometimes on both the itemized bill and the credit card slip.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UAL - Premier, SPG - Plat
Hmm

There are always 2 side of the coin. But I have to say, OP doesn't sound like a pleasant person to deal with.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Timeout

As it seems this thread isn't heading anywhere at the moment, I think it's time to call a pause until we have some clarification of the issues affecting the OP, then perhaps forum members will be able to offer some more focused and constructive feedback.

Specifically, why did the OP feel 'insulted' ? Was it by the events themselves (the proof of payment and the breakfast problems) happening, or by the way the staff behaved ? Also, what was the nature of the reservation and the 'proof of payment' that was asked for ?

OP, could you clarify these ?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:42 pm

I agree it would be helpful to get some additional information from the OP.

FWIW, here's the OP's post from the Sheraton Centre Toronto thread:

this is the worst hotel I ever stayed in SPG properties.
1. booked club floor, but upon checked in, hubby asked for lower floor (he didn't know it was club floor) The front desk didn't remind him about the benefit on club floor with lounge access and free breakfast at all. He has to ask front desk 2nd day if he can get a free breakfast.

2. Upon checked out, the front desk can't find our reservation in the system and cannot tell if the hotel room has been paid or not. It was booked on spg online and secured with my amex. Also provided amex on check in. Received folio few hours before check out time. The front desk even asked hubby to provide proof of the payment! Is this guest's job??

3. I reported this to general manager, and the front desk manager called me back. He did apologized, but I found it very insulted! He offered me free breakfast for next stay at their hotel!!!!! what a joke?! Paid over $300 for the hotel which I could've booked hilton for hubby. We have gold membership with automatically give free breakfast and complementary upgrade if available.

very disappointed. Please just be aware if you are staying here.

I wonder if some of the issue may be a result of the OP thinking that Gold status entitles one to a free breakfast?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX, AEROPLAN
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Being asked to provide proof of payment is hardly insulting.

2. No wonder the agent hung up on you.

This sounds as though OP has issues in dealing with professionals who are trained to be of assistance, but are not servants.
You are right..maybe I'm too used to service standard from amex and amex platinum.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rubbish. Agents are professionals. The entirely proper response if insulted, shouted out at or treated inappropriately is to hang up. What is inappropriate is engaging a customer who is not behaving appropriately.

My guess is that if OP does provide details to SPG, they will listen to the call if it was recorded and is still available.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by onlycat
I do like the hotels selections and quality of the beds. However, during my recent stays in Vancouver and Toronto, I have been having problems and issues with the hotel staff, as well as customer support representatives. I have lost my patient to been royal to SPG anymore.

1. Sheraton Centre Toronto front desk insulted me twice, one during check out to ask me show the proof of payment; second, the hotel didn't provide free breakfast first day while I booked and paid for a club lounge. (I requested to downgrade to a lower floor, but didn't ask to downgrade my benefits!)

2. Called customer support at 11:55 am pst and spoke to one of the representative in regards of qualified nights at Sheraton hotels. I noticed she was unpleasant to help me and answer my questions, so that I asked her why. She hang me up immediately.

I am just shocked right now that since when SPG hired those employees and wonder if SPG ever train their staff?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys, so many replies and I am getting frustrated for being accused of my story. well, my husband's experience at hotel and my experience with call centre. English is not my first language but I do know the culture in English speaking countries. So I don't think there is any miscommunication. Let me restate our stories below:

1. I booked the hotel on spg official website for husband, using his SPG corp preferred card. This is to separate our account since he was using his corp rate. It was high season, so the only room I could book was the king size room on club floor. It is not a prepaid rate, but credit card info was entered when I made the reservation.

2. Upon check in, husband asked for a lower floor because he didn't know the reservation was on club floor. The front desk didn't remind him or tell him about that . Not to mention it comes with breakfast. He was asked to provide a credit card and ID.

3. The hotel room was booked for 2 nights. Husband realized second day he need to have breakfast, so he wonder if the spg preferred card could offer him free breakfast. 100% of time he was travelling with me and let me handle all hotel issue. So he has no idea about anything of his membership. The front desk offered him free breakfast at club lounge, so he was very happy and texted me the pictures. This is the time I realized he downgraded his room without the same benefit as what has been paid for. But both of us were busy and don't think a free breakfast is a big deal to deal with the hotel.

4. This the details for point 1 above separation line. Husband went to check out because he wasn't sure which credit card will be charged on the rooms. He wants to make sure he won't be double charged. I used his credit card on booking and he provided the same on check in. But we didn't communicate over this during his stay. It was never that complicated, room was booked with credit card online and should be billed on the same one. But when he checked out, the front desk told him that he didn't know if the room has been paid or not! front desk told him in the system, he cannot tell whether it has been paid or not, so it will be charged on the credit card that he provided when checked in. Husband called me, 7am in the morning Vancouver time, woke me up, and asked if I paid or not! I told him, it was taking care of when I made the reservation and hotel has sent me a folio at 3am. So he told the front desk who then asked him to show the proof of payment! How could hotel system do not know how the room is booked and how it was paid??????????

5. Last but not least, I called just to confirmed if husband's account has accumulated 4 nights in Sheraton hotels so that he could qualify for the 1 night free promotion. The call center representative just beeing rude and had a bad tone when she spoke to me. I asked her that i could see 4 nights been posted under the account, but cannot find it posted under the tracker. She told me to log out and log in again, but I am not that stupid not doing anything first then waste of my time to call them. I told her I have done it and it hasnt show up. just wonder how long it normally will be posted. She told me whatever there is there..And didn't try to help me find out the answer. I asked her if there is any difference among the membership title and otherwise why she sounds unpleasant and not willing to help. She said no and then hung me up!

This is the full stories with as much details as possible. Longest post i ever replied. Just want to make sure you made your judgement before hear my voice!

------------------------------------------------

Room Description
King Bed
• Club Floor Non-smoking, Smoke-free
• 28 Sq.m/300 Sq.ft
• Continental Brkfst In Club Lng
• Exclusive Club Lounge Access
• Free Wi-fi Internet
• Newly Renovated
Question? You booked this :
  1. Using your husbands corporate rate?
  2. Credit card with husbands name on it?
  3. Your Husbands SPG number?

Yes to all three?

I do find it ironic that you are asking us not to judge you, yet you are judging employees and talking about "culture". I do find your written English a bit confusing, so perhaps that added to the confusion. I don't think anyone is accusing you of anything, but when you make a post here, please expect many comments and varied opinions.

Whenever I check in I'm asked to provide ID and I generally had over my SPG card as well.

Your husband should know the room type booked, based on what you wrote, it appears that your husband doesn't know what his status level is entitled to.

Did you have one or two rooms? At "check out" if you husband had not indicated he was ready to physically check out, then the room has not been paid for.

If you booked two rooms for the same nights, both may not have posted and you may have to have research look at the confirmations to make sure they both properly post to the account.

Again, I do not think anyone is "judging" you but asking questions to better understand your version of the situation.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:49 pm

It seems bizarre that a grown man did not know what was booked or what the benefits were. I see this as your fault, not the hotel's so next time tell him before he checks in. I don't recall front desk agents too often verifying verbally with me the benefits of my booking - they may say tha I have booked a club room and assume that I know the pros and cons of this (i.e. when I book an airline ticket in whatever class, the checkin agent does not verify the benefits of the class that I booked - they assume that I know and rightly so).

There will always be a credit card on file for a booking - if the guest does not present another card at checkin, the card that the reservation was made with will be charged. It is impossible to charge twice for a room as the computer system will not allow it. As well, the morning of your checkout you can check your bill on the TV (and they may also put it under your door). I would say that 95% of Starwood hotels ask for identification and a credit card on checkin, regardless of whether the room was prepaid or not. In Europe the hotels almost always (99%) will ask for your PASSPORT and make a photocopy of it. I even had a Westin in Europe make a photocopy of my credit card and a month or so later I had fraud on the card (As I only used the card for Starwood hotels and a bank withdrawal I am guessing that the photocopies of the credit cards were thrown into the trash with the subsequent results).

As previously noted, some hotels, even in North America, sometimes ask for your credit card on checkout for a variety of reasons. If it happens I always ask 'why' (but mainly out of curiosity) and have always received a response that makes sense.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I do find your written English a bit confusing, so perhaps that added to the confusion. I don't think anyone is accusing you of anything, but when you make a post here, please expect many comments and varied opinions.

Whenever I check in I'm asked to provide ID and I generally had over my SPG card as well.
As a none native speaker i do not have any problems with the language the OP uses. Probably her English is better than the French or the English several members of this hotel's staff speak. And personally, I can confirm that the Sheraton Centre Toronto is one of the worst places in the chain.

By the way: Typos and errors in language do happen all the time, even for native speakers. I find it peculiar that some native speakers on the board discuss about the OP's English, which is excellent. Everybody here expects the world outside the Anglo-Saxon countries to speak English. Given that, a hotel in Canada's number 1 business city should at least be able to deal with somebody speaking English as a second language.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruiser9999

There will always be a credit card on file for a booking - if the guest does not present another card at checkin, the card that the reservation was made with will be charged. It is impossible to charge twice for a room as the computer system will not allow it.
Sorry for being as direct as you were with the OP: Did you ever stay at a hotel outside the United States or Canada? And do you trust blindly in Computers? This certainly would be more "bizarre" than a busy man not knowing the benefits of a club room. Hotel benefits are not the only important facts in live. Several "normal" people would consider the regular discussions on this board as "bizarre". And double charges? I have been charged twice, more than once, both because of computer and human errors. Even in the US. And in several places of the world the card used for a reservation will never be used for the invoice without having it verified once again.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Aug 23, 2015 at 3:33 am
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
[...]

There will always be a credit card on file for a booking - if the guest does not present another card at checkin, the card that the reservation was made with will be charged. It is impossible to charge twice for a room as the computer system will not allow it. As well, the morning of your checkout you can check your bill on the TV (and they may also put it under your door). I would say that 95% of Starwood hotels ask for identification and a credit card on checkin, regardless of whether the room was prepaid or not. In Europe the hotels almost always (99%) will ask for your PASSPORT and make a photocopy of it. I even had a Westin in Europe make a photocopy of my credit card and a month or so later I had fraud on the card (As I only used the card for Starwood hotels and a bank withdrawal I am guessing that the photocopies of the credit cards were thrown into the trash with the subsequent results).

As previously noted, some hotels, even in North America, sometimes ask for your credit card on checkout for a variety of reasons. If it happens I always ask 'why' (but mainly out of curiosity) and have always received a response that makes sense.
No, there won't be always a cc. You can made a Reservation even without cc.

The european Hotels where I stay regulary don't ask me for my passport or ID and sometimes I don't even have to firm...

And now also bizarre?!...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Rubbish. Agents are professionals. The entirely proper response if insulted, shouted out at or treated inappropriately is to hang up. What is inappropriate is engaging a customer who is not behaving appropriately.

My guess is that if OP does provide details to SPG, they will listen to the call if it was recorded and is still available.

Absolutely right.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
There is still something odd. If the reservation was made using husband's SPG number, why was the folio sent to OP?

I've stayed at the Sheraton Toronto numerous times and have never had a bad experience like many seem to describe here.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
There is still something odd. If the reservation was made using husband's SPG number, why was the folio sent to OP?

I've stayed at the Sheraton Toronto numerous times and have never had a bad experience like many seem to describe here.
Probably because her email is on her husband's account?? Like my secretary's email is on my account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.