Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
There are sunrise villas effectively facing 360 degrees it is a nonsense to say they are all facing a floating structure they simply are not, some are effectively facing exactly the same direction as the sunset villas. Some of the sunset villas have a terrible location being in close proximity to the whale bar and relatively loud music late into the evening too.
Is there a consensus about the best overwaters to book? I think the overwater suites look like the best option for only slightly more in rate than the Sunset overwaters.

But, on the other hand, I am wondering if booking a base overwater might be sufficient. First of all, one will not actually choose to be in the villa at sunset every night, so it’s not necessarily worth the premium. Furthermore, on a fully paid standard overwater booking of seven~ten nights, I would imagine one would have a fair shot at either a prime room allocation within category, or even an upgrade. I’m just thinking that for a premium of $400~++ per night or so, it might not be worth it just to book an identical suite on the opposite side of the jetty. For a short stay, I would go for it, but for a week plus, that adds up to thousands of dollars that are probably better spent on F&B, spa, or excursions.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Is there a consensus about the best overwaters to book? I think the overwater suites look like the best option for only slightly more in rate than the Sunset overwaters.

But, on the other hand, I am wondering if booking a base overwater might be sufficient. First of all, one will not actually choose to be in the villa at sunset every night, so it’s not necessarily worth the premium. Furthermore, on a fully paid standard overwater booking of seven~ten nights, I would imagine one would have a fair shot at either a prime room allocation within category, or even an upgrade. I’m just thinking that for a premium of $400~++ per night or so, it might not be worth it just to book an identical suite on the opposite side of the jetty. For a short stay, I would go for it, but for a week plus, that adds up to thousands of dollars that are probably better spent on F&B, spa, or excursions.
I would absolutely concur, for me it would be the worst $400 per night ever spent and that will buy you a lot of in resort drinks or a dinner for one. To be fair though much as I liked the resort it would have to be quite a bit better for me to feel that the room rate of even the basic overwater villa represented good value. At the 27k SPG points per night or thereabouts I paid it was a no brainer but cold hard cash in high season maybe not. I might be tempted by an Ocean retreat at the W instead.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:49 pm

I would absolutely concur, for me it would be the worst $400 per night ever spent and that will buy you a lot of in resort drinks or a dinner for one. To be fair though much as I liked the resort it would have to be quite a bit better for me to feel that the room rate of even the basic overwater villa represented good value. At the 27k SPG points per night or thereabouts I paid it was a no brainer but cold hard cash in high season maybe not. I might be tempted by an Ocean retreat at the W instead.
I think that’s what I’ll do. I’ve actually come to like the W too, even though I previously didn’t “get” the idea of their retreat concept in the Maldives. But, the more I look at it, it seems fantastic. It’s in the North Ari atoll with an amazing house reef, and I noticed that they have Thomas Vaucouleur de Ville d’Avray on board as GM. I remember him from Peninsula hotels and he also was previously at One & Only Reethi Rah. So, I have no doubt based on my past experience dealing with him that the W must be extremely well run. Just like the St.Regis seems to be as well. Starwood really has a great presence in the Maldives now. Both W and StR Vommuli are high on my list of places to go.

The larger overwaters at W look amazing at the end of the jetty, but the standard ones with private pools (like St.R) are already perfect for double occupancy.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:53 pm

There are sunrise villas effectively facing 360 degrees it is a nonsense to say they are all facing a floating structure they simply are not, some are effectively facing exactly the same direction as the sunset villas. Some of the sunset villas have a terrible location being in close proximity to the whale bar and relatively loud music late into the evening too.
you are right. Only 501 to 518 will have this obstructive view from their villa. The rest can enjoy this eye sore when walking/biking/buggying to/from their villa.

Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Wait what, loud music? I was in the first sunset villa and I heard more or less nothing. Was it just me?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Wait what, loud music? I was in the first sunset villa and I heard more or less nothing. Was it just me?
Well we could hear it on the bridge behind the first sunset villas in the evening so you were very lucky.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Some massive ugly floating structure is right between the villas and the mainland. I don´t know what it is or why it is there.
Sunset villa doesn´t have this problem.
Probably a sand dredger, although they're not massive. Depends on how far away it is I suppose. Actually, anything blocking a perfect ocean view in the Maldives is a massive problem.....
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Probably a sand dredger, although they're not massive. Depends on how far away it is I suppose. Actually, anything blocking a perfect ocean view in the Maldives is a massive problem.....
Lol.
It is at least half the size of a villa. It looks like a tool shed but bigger because I see 3-4 guys walking around it.
Anyway, thought it was funny because that thing emits a constant noise right in front of 2 beach villas. It is like that episode of the Sopranos where Tony tried to get out of the rea estate deal and set up a small boat to blast loud music all day and night.

Late last night, they pulled it away. So must be there for at least 4 days.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:05 pm

Was wondering, what's so special about the beach villa that it's actually one category higher than the sunrise OWV?

From what I've seem at other resorts, the beach villas are always lower category than the OWVs.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I think that’s what I’ll do. I’ve actually come to like the W too, even though I previously didn’t “get” the idea of their retreat concept in the Maldives. But, the more I look at it, it seems fantastic. It’s in the North Ari atoll with an amazing house reef, and I noticed that they have Thomas Vaucouleur de Ville d’Avray on board as GM. I remember him from Peninsula hotels and he also was previously at One & Only Reethi Rah. So, I have no doubt based on my past experience dealing with him that the W must be extremely well run. Just like the St.Regis seems to be as well. Starwood really has a great presence in the Maldives now. Both W and StR Vommuli are high on my list of places to go.

The larger overwaters at W look amazing at the end of the jetty, but the standard ones with private pools (like St.R) are already perfect for double occupancy.
Do it. We stayed at the W for our honeymoon, 'Lagoon Oasis' overwater villa, nothing obstructing the view, we were far from the restaurants and absolutely enjoyed the heavenly view. Their reef is definitely a sight to behold too.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Was wondering, what's so special about the beach villa that it's actually one category higher than the sunrise OWV?

From what I've seem at other resorts, the beach villas are always lower category than the OWVs.
I don't get it either as they actually seem smaller. The only upsides I can see are beach access and a bit lower density.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi

I don't get it either as they actually seem smaller. The only upsides I can see are beach access and a bit lower density.
Many resorts have beach accommodation that is larger, and higher in rate than overwater accommodation.

Some people prefer on land accommodation to overwater.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:57 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
In my experience, (myself, with clients and speaking with resort management) many of those who are returning guests that have already done the "Over Water" experience actually much prefer the beach accommodation. Once the novelty is worn off.
Many cases, it offers more space. I believe when I visited the Beach Accommodations at St. Regis, it was a duplex, thus, more space and direct beach access. Closer to the pool, whale bar and Aba restaurant as well, or at least it felt like it.

Cheval Blanc often sells their beach villas more than the overwater option as well.

We also visited One & Only prior to St. Regis Maldives and it was a no brainer for us to stay in the beach villa over the over water option there, based on our personal taste.

But I hope you'll enjoy it, no matter which you end up in!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
In my experience, (myself, with clients and speaking with resort management) many of those who are returning guests that have already done the "Over Water" experience actually much prefer the beach accommodation. Once the novelty is worn off.
Many cases, it offers more space. I believe when I visited the Beach Accommodations at St. Regis, it was a duplex, thus, more space and direct beach access. Closer to the pool, whale bar and Aba restaurant as well, or at least it felt like it.

Cheval Blanc often sells their beach villas more than the overwater option as well.

We also visited One & Only prior to St. Regis Maldives and it was a no brainer for us to stay in the beach villa over the over water option there, based on our personal taste.

Thanks for the insight. What a dilemma
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by BESVISOR

This. I liked the St Regis OWV, but having seen the beach villas I think I’ll take one next time if I go. The pool is also guaranteed to be warm as it isn’t covered by a roof so it’ll be warm regardless of which way you’re facing.

Also if you have kids etc., may be less complicated.
BESVISOR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.