Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by ps9a

It’s been 6.5 years since I stayed at the W (on my honeymoon). But when I did, the reef and fish were great. It’s also more of a couples vibe— much higher % of guests on their honeymoon when I was there, and I don’t think they allowed guests under 16. That may since have changed. I guess the question is how much of a trade off you’re willing to accept of luxury vs fish/coral/sand. I can tell you that for our next trip there, if the two resorts were the same price, I would choose the W and my wife would choose the St Regis. I spend a lot more time in the ocean.
Supposedly the W has had some heavy bleaching but it was magical when I was there 6-7 years ago. The St Regis was far worse, but wish I could make a more recent comparison.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Supposedly the W has had some heavy bleaching but it was magical when I was there 6-7 years ago. The St Regis was far worse, but wish I could make a more recent comparison.
I would expect that any newly built overwater resort construction is going to severely impact the aquatic life and coral structures nearby that encourage aquatic life. It likely takes a few or more years for those ecosystems to recover, and I’m sure it varies wildly on a number of factors, I wouldn’t expect much life near the OWVs at the StR because it is a newly built property. I would expect that to improve over time as the coral communities rebound and the concomitant aquatic life returns.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We brought Ika with us on a snorkeling trip one day, and she brought lots of games, books, stickers, balloons... it was really thoughtful, and our toddler loved her.
Ha! We were on the same snorkeling trip with you guys! We still remember you have to jump into the ocean to "save the ballon"

Plat recognition/treatment: Pretty poor in my case. As for upgrades, maybe they would have done it in advance had they updated their systems... I'll never know. But I asked at check-in... they were 60% occupancy, and no upgrades for either of our rooms... I think they're exempt from the upgrade policy, or so our butler explained.
There is no upgrade unless you "keep asking". Every Platinum members we talked to were assigned to regular overwater villa and they all had to ask repeatedly to be moved to a sunset villa, including us.

Our experience was mirrored to ps9a beside the departure hiccup. We are currently dealing with the resort trying to get refund/compensation. I will disclose more detail once everything is settled. I have to say it does leave a bitter taste when everyone is so nice.
ps9a likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
You might argue that the sunset villas aren't much of an upgrade especially those close to Whale bar. To be fair even the OWV is excluded from the upgrade pool so it seems a little churlish to complain about not getting a further upgrade.

There is a lack of polish about much in resort service which is rather less forgiveable and I would have hoped had improved as the year progressed.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
You might argue that the sunset villas aren't much of an upgrade especially those close to Whale bar. To be fair even the OWV is excluded from the upgrade pool so it seems a little churlish to complain about not getting a further upgrade.

There is a lack of polish about much in resort service which is rather less forgiveable and I would have hoped had improved as the year progressed.
I actually kind of disagree with that. First off, the sunset villas have more sun during the day, making the pool actually usable (otherwise it tends to be too cold). As well, I had the first villa on the left (facing the Whale Bar) and I actually found it to be one of the best ones - it's far more private than the sunrise villas since you can't see anyone and the only people who can see you are the Whale Bar people, but a) it's usually pretty dead in the morning, and b) in the evening people look at the sunset which is on the other side, and not your villa, so it's sort of an ideal location.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I actually kind of disagree with that. First off, the sunset villas have more sun during the day, making the pool actually usable (otherwise it tends to be too cold). As well, I had the first villa on the left (facing the Whale Bar) and I actually found it to be one of the best ones - it's far more private than the sunrise villas since you can't see anyone and the only people who can see you are the Whale Bar people, but a) it's usually pretty dead in the morning, and b) in the evening people look at the sunset which is on the other side, and not your villa, so it's sort of an ideal location.
Maybe the best part of the overwater villas is that everyone thinks theirs is great, no matter which they have. Knowing what you do, Pseudo Nim, how much would you pay on your next stay to upgrade from a Sunrise Overwater Villa to the Whale Bar Overwater Villa?

Last edited by ps9a; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Plenty of the other WV's are really private. We absolutely had no visibility of the other villas or their occupants, had sun on our deck all day and the pool was perfectly usable from dawn til dusk. I do think the cold water/shade problem is hugely overstated and personally wouldn't pay a penny more for a sunset villa and would reject those in proximity to the whale bar entirely.
cshel likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, DL Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC

Plenty of the other WV's are really private. We absolutely had no visibility of the other villas or their occupants, had sun on our deck all day and the pool was perfectly usable from dawn til dusk. I do think the cold water/shade problem is hugely overstated and personally wouldn't pay a penny more for a sunset villa and would reject those in proximity to the whale bar entirely.
I would agree with this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Does anyone know when the rates for future dates start to normalize based on demand? I am planning for May 2019 for my Wife's 40th birthday and an Overwater Villa is 3751 a night versus May 2018 at 1896 for the same Preferred Rate + Breakfast w/ cancellation.

Has anyone found the property being able to offer anything better booking directly? When we went to St. Regis Bora Bora 5 years ago, their director offered us a good deal booking directly.

Also, did anyone experienced the property in May this year? What was the weather like?

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
We were there during the first week of May this year. Weather was great = hot, but rarely cloudy...only had one patch of rain (and we strategically made that a spa day so barely felt the effects). From what I've read, May weather can be YMMV.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:13 pm

Sunrise OWV pool is too cold for me. With the strong wind, I was freezing. Don't see anyone using the pool in these villas all day.
Orientale indian food is passable. The chinese food there is probably the worst in years for me.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Sunrise OWV pool is too cold for me. With the strong wind, I was freezing. Don't see anyone using the pool in these villas all day.
Orientale indian food is passable. The chinese food there is probably the worst in years for me.
They are not all the same, sure there are some suboptimal villas but you could say the same in many other resorts and the time of year will also be a factor.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Thinking to stick with a beach villa as the reviews on the OBW's are all mixed.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:44 am

They are not all the same, sure there are some suboptimal villas but you could say the same in many other resorts and the time of year will also be a factor.
Then it is a waste of space since it takes up a large amount of estate that could be for something else. I asked a few of them why itīs so cold and if they plan on addressing the issue and there is no plan. I think they have to add a heater, circulating pump, etc..., which would be hard to put in at this point.
The sunrise villa currently has a huge eye sore in plain view. Some massive ugly floating structure is right between the villas and the mainland. I donīt know what it is or why it is there.
Sunset villa doesnīt have this problem.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Then it is a waste of space since it takes up a large amount of estate that could be for something else. I asked a few of them why itīs so cold and if they plan on addressing the issue and there is no plan. I think they have to add a heater, circulating pump, etc..., which would be hard to put in at this point.
The sunrise villa currently has a huge eye sore in plain view. Some massive ugly floating structure is right between the villas and the mainland. I donīt know what it is or why it is there.
Sunset villa doesnīt have this problem.
There are sunrise villas effectively facing 360 degrees it is a nonsense to say they are all facing a floating structure they simply are not, some are effectively facing exactly the same direction as the sunset villas. Some of the sunset villas have a terrible location being in close proximity to the whale bar and relatively loud music late into the evening too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.