Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

"You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
Ahs. Is there anyone that will say for certain that they will always react in nice and pleasant way when they were given nasty arrogant reception?

And perhaps you are assuming that I did not approach the front desk in a friendly manner? (I.e. I tried to be nice, but did not receive similar treatment? A firm reply is probably fair reaction.)

Also, replying in a firm manner does not mean it has to be unpleasant, or even unfriendly. It might be the best way to send the message across, and the agent might read the details of the reservation more carefully.. It also does not mean that the remainder of the conversation will be similar either.
What I can say for certain that that I always try, even if my success is sometimes imperfect. Getting angry/firm/stern/etc. rarely improves a situation. Even if you started things off in a friendly manner, I try never to lower myself to others' suboptimal behavior.

Perhaps I had higher expectations given your FT name. It's certainly a goal to strive for.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
Ahs. Is there anyone that will say for certain that they will always react in nice and pleasant way when they were given nasty arrogant reception?

And perhaps you are assuming that I did not approach the front desk in a friendly manner? (I.e. I tried to be nice, but did not receive similar treatment? A firm reply is probably fair reaction.)

Also, replying in a firm manner does not mean it has to be unpleasant, or even unfriendly. It might be the best way to send the message across, and the agent might read the details of the reservation more carefully.. It also does not mean that the remainder of the conversation will be similar either.
Thank you. Firm does not imply rude or unpleasant.

BTW, hotel front desk employees are not my personal friends. I expect them to act professionally and politely toward me, but being overly friendly is inappropriate. It's a business relationship where I'm the customer, not a buddy.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thank you. Firm does not imply rude or unpleasant.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Getting angry/firm/stern/etc. rarely improves a situation.
Actually, being firm - and sometimes even stern - has helped me in many situations. I'm a early 20's, minority female and am unfortunately not often taken seriously. With certain types of people (not all), being firm and professional allows me to communicate / accomplish my goal in a more efficient manner.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by margarita girl
If this happened to me, I'd respond with something like:

"That's excellent. Since I booked and paid for Suite ABC, then you must have upgraded me to an even better suite. Did I get the Presidential Suite?"
i'm not an expert but isn't this what they call "passive - agressive?"

i think this is a great approach if done with a smile.

as for all the other posts, anger is never, ever appropriate in a business environment. but we shouldn't confuse firm or stern with angry. with any contentious issue i am very firm but polite and respectful.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BenSenise
but we shouldn't confuse firm or stern with angry. with any contentious issue i am very firm but polite and respectful.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.