Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

"You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Say I reserve the River Suite (and there's only one in this hotel). I get to the front desk on arrival and FDC says, "I'm so sorry, Dr., but the Presidential Suite is not available this weekend due to some unavoidable maintenance issues. I was, however, able to assign you to the River Suite, instead. It's lovely and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it."

I'm going to argue with him/her? To what end? I'm getting the same room at the same price. My response to this FDC is going to be, invariably and without hesitation, "That's very kind of you. Thank you." You never know when being nice to someone, even possibly when s/he doesn't deserve it, will come back and pay dividends.
I would correct him/her in this situation because s/he might actually feel bad that I was downgraded when I wasn't. And if they offered some tangible compensation for being downgraded would you accept it or correct them?

It's not a big deal if the FDA tells me I've been upgraded when I wasn't, but I would still correct them (with a smile). And if it's a stay where it would be nice to have a better room (such as when my wife is along), I'd ask if there was an actual upgrade available.

I've always appreciated it when someone let me know (kindly) that I was giving out incorrect information and I'd appreciate it even more if I were in a customer facing position.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Why? This is what I honestly don't understand. It's not going to change anything. Are you just trying to make the clerk feel badly by pointing out to him/her that s/he's made an error?
It could be considered a learning opportunity for the clerk. Perhaps he/she should look closer at the history of the reservation instead of assuming a guest with a suite is automatically considered an upgrade.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:22 am

Had this happen at a hilton. They told me that they had upgraded me so I would have lots of room for my family of 6, however, I booked, paid for, and stayed in the lowest level room that would fit my family of six! I actually asked of the larger suite was available (I would have paid the upgrade difference) and they said it was not, even though they were still selling it on their website, so apparently, honesty was not their strong suit!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I'm in the boat with people who make the correction. As said further up the thread, the sternness of my correction will mirror the enthusiasm of their presumably kind upgrade.

Slightly off topic but related is when I don't get the club level room (never had this experience with a suite) I specifically booked and they tell me I'm not being downgraded because I had been upgraded in the first place. THAT was an interesting conversation that got elevated to a manager at one property. Forgive me for wanting the room for which I paid!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by controller1
It could be considered a learning opportunity for the clerk. Perhaps he/she should look closer at the history of the reservation instead of assuming a guest with a suite is automatically considered an upgrade.
Yes, it could. But IMO at that point we're overstepping our bounds as guests. Constructing learning opportunities for employees is the responsibility of management.

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I'm in the boat with people who make the correction. As said further up the thread, the sternness of my correction will mirror the enthusiasm of their presumably kind upgrade.
So the nicer or more effusive they are about the upgrade the harsher you are?

Slightly off topic but related is when I don't get the club level room (never had this experience with a suite) I specifically booked and they tell me I'm not being downgraded because I had been upgraded in the first place. THAT was an interesting conversation that got elevated to a manager at one property. Forgive me for wanting the room for which I paid!
Completely agree with you. Once they are downgrading you, you have a right to complain.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Yes, it could. But IMO at that point we're overstepping our bounds as guests. Constructing learning opportunities for employees is the responsibility of management.
Where do learning opportunities arise in the hotel industry, if not from feedback from customers? In this scenario, how would management know to teach its employees to differentiate between a paid booking vs. a legitimate upgrade? The impetus would come from the customer (as demonstrated by this thread).

Providing feedback, which may or may not result in a learning opportunity, is not an overstepping of bounds.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missxmelon
Where do learning opportunities arise in the hotel industry, if not from feedback from customers? In this scenario, how would management know to teach its employees to differentiate between a paid booking vs. a legitimate upgrade? The impetus would come from the customer (as demonstrated by this thread).
You make a valid point; but if creating a learning opportunity is your goal, I would imagine that it's unlikely to be realized by correcting the FDC. A polite note to supervisor, manager or GM would be much more effective.

If making the experience a learning opportunity for the FDC is the goal and oyu want to do it in the spot with the FDC, you're going to have to get him/her to listen to you and not shut you off because of any perceived condescending attitude. I would imagine that these are much less likely to be effective ...
As said further up the thread, the sternness of my correction will mirror the enthusiasm of their presumably kind upgrade.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I always politely but firmly correct any agent, airline or hotel, who tells me that I've been upgraded when I'm being given exactly what I booked.
... than this:
Originally Posted by flymonthly
... but I would still correct them (with a smile).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:01 pm

You make a valid point; but if creating a learning opportunity is your goal, I would imagine that it's unlikely to be realized by correcting the FDC. A polite note to supervisor, manager or GM would be much more effective.

If making the experience a learning opportunity for the FDC is the goal and oyu want to do it in the spot with the FDC, you're going to have to get him/her to listen to you and not shut you off because of any perceived condescending attitude. I would imagine that these are much less likely to be effective ...

... than this:
I don't think it's anyone's ultimate goal (in this thread at least) to create a learning opportunity. What was stated was:

Originally Posted by controller1
It could be considered a learning opportunity for the clerk.
Hence the last sentence of my previous post. I don't believe there's anything wrong with providing feedback that could result in a learning opportunity. It certainly does not overstep any boundaries.

I'm not sure how much value there is in guessing the merits of providing feedback directly to the FDC vs. supervisor / manager / GM vs. some or all of the above. Nor do I claim to know what would be more effective: a firm delivery or a smile and laissez-faire attitude.

My point is that it's certainly valid for guests to correct the FDC - and based on previous posts, for a variety of reasons. If you'd rather not correct the FDC, that's also fine. No one is saying you can't do that, either. I just don't understand why you'd completely discount correcting the FDC...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missxmelon
I just don't understand why you'd completely discount correcting the FDC...
After reading what you said, I don't completely discount it. I see your point, and it's a valid one. For myself, I wouldn't/won't do it for the reasons I've mentioned upthread. For those who do, I see no benefit in putting other people down; so a "stern" or "firm" correction is unlikely to be effective, IMO. These aren't children; and we are neither their parents nor their teachers. Even when they make mistakes, as we all do, I believe that they should be treated with respect.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 pm

After reading what you said, I don't completely discount it. I see your point, and it's a valid one. For myself, I wouldn't/won't do it for the reasons I've mentioned upthread. For those who do, I see no benefit in putting other people down; so a "stern" or "firm" correction is unlikely to be effective, IMO. These aren't children; and we are neither their parents nor their teachers. Even when they make mistakes, as we all do, I believe that they should be treated with respect.
Agreed. People should definitely be treated with respect.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Well, if someone books a suite and gets the same category suite, and the FD agent rattles off "upgrade blah-blah", it is a small mistake.

But how we react to it depends on the attitude of the FD agent.

If it is a snotty one and highlighted the upgrade with arrogance (and i should be oh-so-grateful for the "upgrade"), then perhaps I might feel obliged to correct that, in a more firm manner.

If the agent is warm and happy, I might respond with a smile, and said I actually book that, but if there is a possible upgrade over and above that, I would be grateful; if not, it is still nice to have such a good reception.

Hence, attitude is key here. But of course, it helps to pay attention to details as well.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
But how we react to it depends on the attitude of the FD agent.

If it is a snotty one and highlighted the upgrade with arrogance (and i should be oh-so-grateful for the "upgrade"), then perhaps I might feel obliged to correct that, in a more firm manner.
Really? So you're only nice to others when they are nice to you? When FDC is arrogant, why not show by example that there's a better, more relaxing, more pleasant way to live?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
The SPG app has spoilt some of the fun really. I can see beforehand if I've been upgraded but I still try my best to be surprised and thankful.
Really? I have never seen anything about upgrades, even when I've received them at check-in, in the SPG app. Where might I find this?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Really? I have never seen anything about upgrades, even when I've received them at check-in, in the SPG app. Where might I find this?
If they pre-upgraded you before check-in they will change the room details in your reservation, you can see it online on the website or on the app.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Really? So you're only nice to others when they are nice to you? When FDC is arrogant, why not show by example that there's a better, more relaxing, more pleasant way to live?
Ahs. Is there anyone that will say for certain that they will always react in nice and pleasant way when they were given nasty arrogant reception?

And perhaps you are assuming that I did not approach the front desk in a friendly manner? (I.e. I tried to be nice, but did not receive similar treatment? A firm reply is probably fair reaction.)

Also, replying in a firm manner does not mean it has to be unpleasant, or even unfriendly. It might be the best way to send the message across, and the agent might read the details of the reservation more carefully.. It also does not mean that the remainder of the conversation will be similar either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.