Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

"You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Geez, we're now complaining because hotels sometimes use a pre-printed keycard envelope which says that you've been upgraded when it wasn't actually an upgrade. I'm wondering if some of the nice folks here have enough to do....
It's the fact that they went out of their way to verbally tell me that they had graciously upgraded my room. Let me give you an example:

"Thank you for dining with us Dr. HFH. We have comped your appetizers and dessert." ** as they hand you the bill for your entire meal....
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I always politely but firmly correct any agent, airline or hotel, who tells me that I've been upgraded when I'm being given exactly what I booked.
You may well not be correct. After all, you could be being given a better room within the category you booked. And either way, you are enjoying the enhanced room with SPG status benefits, such as 4PM checkout, so whichever way you slice it, it's an upgrade in effect!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
On slightly similar lines, I do find the "welcome back" greeting at American SPG hotels I've never been to a bit of an anachronism.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
It's the fact that they went out of their way to verbally tell me that they had graciously upgraded my room. Let me give you an example:

"Thank you for dining with us Dr. HFH. We have comped your appetizers and dessert." ** as they hand you the bill for your entire meal....
Completely inapposite. In your analogy, the bill is more than you were told it was going to be. In the "You've Been Upgraded" issue, the nightly rate is what you agreed to pay.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:34 pm

I often book suites. And I always correct them if they tell me I've been upgraded. How polite I am about it, is directly proportional to the extent to which they attempt to take the credit.

Cheers,
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

Happens to me all the time. So pathetic. I hate it every time. Imagine buying a first class ticket and having agent tell you: congrats you've been upgraded!

Essentially they are just trying to take all the credit possible.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:04 pm

I wonder how Platinums behave when we book a standard room and are really upgraded to a suite. Are we at least outwardly grateful? Or do we behave like we were owed it, after all it is a perk of our status.

Hopefully somewhere nearer the first?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I wonder how Platinums behave when we book a standard room and are really upgraded to a suite. Are we at least outwardly grateful? Or do we behave like we were owed it, after all it is a perk of our status.

I profusely thank the front desk agent and I also mention the upgrade in all reviews I post. OTOH, I don't get to practice this as much as I believe I should.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
OTOH, I don't get to practice this as much as I believe I should.
^
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:22 pm

Slightly off topic, but, for those of you who regularly book suites: if there is no practical upgrade beyond the suite you've booked (because there is no availability or because a higher category room simply doesn't exist) do you ask at check in if the hotel is willing to "upgrade" some other perk instead?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Okto
Slightly off topic, but, for those of you who regularly book suites: if there is no practical upgrade beyond the suite you've booked (because there is no availability or because a higher category room simply doesn't exist) do you ask at check in if the hotel is willing to "upgrade" some other perk instead?
Strangely enough, I was in this position recently. The manager expressed his regret that he could not upgrade me further because the higher tier suite was occupied. But he didn't offer anything "in lieu", except that we could surely have it the next time we came. Nor did we ask.

Btw, you do realise you're about to start another round of "how dare you ask for anything beyond what you are entitled to... don't you know what the T&Cs are" :P
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Flews
I often book suites. And I always correct them if they tell me I've been upgraded. How polite I am about it, is directly proportional to the extent to which they attempt to take the credit.
Originally Posted by JBauer
Happens to me all the time. So pathetic. I hate it every time. Imagine buying a first class ticket and having agent tell you: congrats you've been upgraded!

Essentially they are just trying to take all the credit possible.
I find this fascinating. Do you guys correct everyone in your life when they make misstatements? Or just in the travel industry?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CD747
You may well not be correct. After all, you could be being given a better room within the category you booked. And either way, you are enjoying the enhanced room with SPG status benefits, such as 4PM checkout, so whichever way you slice it, it's an upgrade in effect!
An enhanced room is not an upgrade. Nor are other standard elite perks considered to be upgrades as the term is used in this context.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself

I believe my response tonight was "that'll be great. Thank you."

Originally Posted by Okto
No, the thought wouldn't enter my mind.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I find this fascinating. Do you guys correct everyone in your life when they make misstatements? Or just in the travel industry?
In business and financial transactions? Generally yes.

If a cab stopped at the wrong address, would you just go ahead and get out and live with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.