FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   "You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1612898-youve-been-upgraded-no-not-really-not-about-upgrades.html)

FlyingDL4Fun Sep 15, 2014 7:30 am

"You've been upgraded!"...no not really.. (not about upgrades)

OK, so this has happened to me at least half a dozen times (4 times at the same hotel) , and I'm curious why. I book an executive suite, I check in, and the front desk agent says "and Mr. FlyingDL4Fun, we've upgraded you to our executive suite today." They even hand me my key in the snazzy "you've been upgraded" envelope. I say thank you and go to my room because I think it's rude to say "no I paid and booked it".

Why is this happening? Does the agent just assume I was upgraded to that room because I'm the only idiot that books and pays for it? I guess I'm just curious why they keep saying it. I'm 100% happy because I always get what I booked...but curious.

CPRich Sep 15, 2014 8:53 am

Yes, pretty much.

I rarely pay for an upgraded room, but have used a few SNAs, and I get the same line. I don't consider it rude to factually correct them, done nicely.

travelswithmyself Sep 15, 2014 9:04 am

You're the only id**** :P

Joking aside, the few times I've actually paid for a suite, I haven't been told I was upgraded. Heck, sometimes I'm not even told that when I _am_ upgraded.

The SPG app has spoilt some of the fun really. I can see beforehand if I've been upgraded but I still try my best to be surprised and thankful.

OT, I was recently told by a FDA that they can see when a guest is coming from their version of the SPG app! They said they knew I was on the way 30 mins before I arrived. Man that must be some way huge geo-fence. I think I'm going to turn off location services.

PTahCha Sep 15, 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun (Post 23528204)
OK, so this has happened to me at least half a dozen times (4 times at the same hotel) , and I'm curious why. I book an executive suite, I check in, and the front desk agent says "and Mr. FlyingDL4Fun, we've upgraded you to our executive suite today." They even hand me my key in the snazzy "you've been upgraded" envelope. I say thank you and go to my room because I think it's rude to say "no I paid and booked it".

Why is this happening? Does the agent just assume I was upgraded to that room because I'm the only idiot that books and pays for it? I guess I'm just curious why they keep saying it. I'm 100% happy because I always get what I booked...but curious.

Probably out of habit, because few people actually book and pay for suites.

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 23528633)
Yes, pretty much.

I rarely pay for an upgraded room, but have used a few SNAs, and I get the same line. I don't consider it rude to factually correct them, done nicely.

Technically, SNA is an upgrade, no? But yes, it's not of their own doing.

controller1 Sep 15, 2014 9:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun (Post 23528204)

I complained about this in a review earlier this year for the Westin Tampa Harbour Island:

NEGATIVES:
Check-in experience-
Check-in was efficient but I was told that I had been "upgraded to a Premium Room with a view of the bay/skyline on the 12th floor". I told the front desk agent that I had not been upgraded because I reserved and paid for a Premium Room with a bay/skyline view located on floors 10/11/12. He just muttered "Oh, it shows traditional here." I then asked about an upgrade to a Studio Suite but he said none were available. I really dislike this "You've been upgraded" song and dance I sometimes receive at Starwood properties when the room I receive is exactly the category of room I reserved and paid for.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22533615-post50.html

EuropeanPete Sep 15, 2014 9:34 am

I'll occasionally book premium rooms and like the OP I do tend to be told that I've "been upgraded". Some places also claim higher floors count as an upgrade, when they don't actually have a "normal sized room higher up" as an actual room category.

controller1 Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 23528859)
I'll occasionally book premium rooms and like the OP I do tend to be told that I've "been upgraded". Some places also claim higher floors count as an upgrade, when they don't actually have a "normal sized room higher up" as an actual room category.

I suppose that would actually count as an "enhanced" room per SPG standards! ;)

Medved Sep 15, 2014 10:15 am

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 23528871)
I suppose that would actually count as an "enhanced" room per SPG standards! ;)

Seriously, it could be. In Europe, am exec suite categories varies significantly. Some hotels says: 50-90 sq. m (sic!!!), some suites would have a view, others -- same size or even larger -- inner yard, very important -- have balcony/terrace or not. Huge variety of those in historic props. I've used SNA for a base exec suite but got much better ones in Spain.
I consider SNA use an upgrade too -- could be rejected.

FlyingDL4Fun Sep 15, 2014 10:24 am

OP here...just to give some background this happens to me constantly at a particular Westin here in the US. Maybe I should just ask next time...

controller1 Sep 15, 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun (Post 23529130)
OP here...just to give some background this happens to me constantly at a particular Westin here in the US. Maybe I should just ask next time...

This is FT. Name the property please.

jibi Sep 15, 2014 11:20 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself (Post 23528694)
OT, I was recently told by a FDA that they can see when a guest is coming from their version of the SPG app! They said they knew I was on the way 30 mins before I arrived. Man that must be some way huge geo-fence. I think I'm going to turn off location services.

This is interesting. According to their privacy statement in the app, it appears this is absolutely true.

"We may also use your location to welcome you to our properties..."

This is kind of neat, but it is also rather invasive. I suppose it is a trade-off. I could only imagine that they'd use it for people who have potential abuse to the system (check-in for someone else, check-in then leave for good, etc.). It is unfortunately as location services are nice to have in this app.

yvr76 Sep 15, 2014 11:39 am

SPG should modify the program so that if you book a suite, you're eligible to be upgraded to the next level up, on availability. I think this would encourage more Platinums to book suites.

Dr. HFH Sep 15, 2014 12:48 pm

Geez, we're now complaining because hotels sometimes use a pre-printed keycard envelope which says that you've been upgraded when it wasn't actually an upgrade. I'm wondering if some of the nice folks here have enough to do....

MSPeconomist Sep 15, 2014 12:52 pm

I always politely but firmly correct any agent, airline or hotel, who tells me that I've been upgraded when I'm being given exactly what I booked. I consider SNAs, SWUs, etc. To be different currencies used to pay for a suite or premium suite, so that using these instruments are quite different from getting a free elite upgrade.

I figure that there's a chance that by correcting the person I might either get a further upgrade or get some privileges associated with the paid rate but not upgrades.

nicolas75 Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Well, with InterContinental hotels, I always book the cheapest rate... And have the "you have been upgraded" all the times as Royal Ambassador ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8em781GEo