Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Housekeeping entered my room without knocking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)

I'm staying at a four points just now.

On Saturday around 8.20 AM, the house keeping staff entered my room. I'm 99% sure they didn't knock first (there is always a chance I didn't hear them, but actually I was within a few feet of the door at the time so that is unlikely).

Unfortunately I was not long out of the shower so was completely naked! I grabbed the nearest towel but maybe I wasn't fast enough

Anyway, the housekeeper looked shocked, said sorry then left.

I complained to the front desk manager who apologized and said he'd look into it.

Do you think the response of the front desk was adequate? I'm in two minds about that: had I just been lounging around in the room I probably wouldn't have even complained. Perhaps it is the housekeeper who should be compensated

Before anyone asks: I'm pretty sure I didn't have the DND sign outside the door so I take some responsibility for that. I honestly didn't expect house keeping to be doing their rounds so early on a Saturday.

Anyway, I'm being extra careful to double lock the door now and am trying to avoid meeting the housekeepers in the hallway...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Given all the relevant posts on FT, I'm surprised that you hadn't double locked the door using either the chain or loooped bar thingy. That's what they're for, -- to prevent prople from entering when you don't want them. That said, yes, of course housekeeping should always knock/ring the bell before entering.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP, you get into the oddest situations!

Always good to use the extra security chain for this sort of situation.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Given all the relevant posts on FT, I'm surprised that you hadn't double locked the door using either the chain or loooped bar thingy. That's what they're for, -- to prevent prople from entering when you don't want them. That said, yes, of course housekeeping should always knock/ring the bell before entering.
I usually do that, but sometimes I forget.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Be careful - the last time somebody said he was running around naked and the maid came in he found himself arrested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_v._Strauss-Kahn
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
It has happened to me before. Lesson I learnt was use the security latch.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Always good to use the extra security chain for this sort of situation.
Indeed. Wouldn't want a housekeeper to have a Dominique Strauss-Kahn moment.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:35 am
Suspended

Dominique is that you ?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by macaron95
Dominique is that you ?
He had/has Accor Platinum status, right? Giving his expenditures at Sofitel and the easy access to the status, he should have.

I have never had housekeeping come into my room unexpectedly while in the room, but then again I am pretty "religious" about minimizing the chances of that happening by using the DND sign, the additional lock features, etc.

I have unexpectedly entered the room of individuals or couples who were undressed and/or freshly naked out of the shower; but that was mostly a function of being assigned occupied rooms when showing up for early check-in. Seems to have happened most often to me at Marriott hotels and I've rarely had Gold or Silver status there.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:08 am
Suspended

i always put the DND sign, just to make sure nobody is gonna disturb me early in the morning

but also believing that housekeeping and neighbors will do their best to be quiet when seeing the sign

i also always lock the door from the inside when possible
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP says that he didn't hear the knock, but can't be sure there wasn't one. If there wasn't a knock, it was bad form but hardly the end of the world. I would be very satisfied with the FD's response. If there was a knock, what happened is what ought to have happened.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I've mentioned this many times. If in your room, put the deadbolt on and/or the do not disturb sign. That is FlyerTalk Travel 101.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
OP says that he didn't hear the knock, but can't be sure there wasn't one. If there wasn't a knock, it was bad form but hardly the end of the world.
Housekeeping coming at 8:20 AM is bad form, knocking or not, as that's a bit too early, at least IMHO though YMMV.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:30 am
Suspended

indeed

housekeeping always has hotel listing, so wondering why the person would come at 8:20AM

not a decent time for making the room...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Should housekeeping knock, yes.

Should you put the DND sign on if you don't want to be disturbed, yes.

Should you lock your door if you could be walked in on, yes.

You say you were not long out the shower, if they had knocked when you were in the shower you would not have heard them and they could have walked in on you then!

While I agree they should knock I must say on this occasion it seems housekeeping may have more reason to complain about you than you do them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.