Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Housekeeping entered my room without knocking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping entered my room without knocking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:38 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You are given options to notify housekeeping not to bother you and chose to not use them... and then get upset if they knock? They cannot win!

On weekends, they can be booked and have a need to get rooms cleaned as soon as possible; so I cannot fault the housekeeper for trying to get ahead of the game. Especially if the guest made no effort to indicate they do not want to be bothered.

Under no circumstances is it ok for housekeeping to enter at 8:15? Really? WOW!

What time is acceptable for you?

Again, your choosing to "accidently" forget to put out the DND sign or bolt the door might cause the HK staff to "accidently" knock and enter your room. Works both ways.

Originally Posted by convict
I was unaware that it was the responsibility of the guest to dead bolt the room door and put out the DND sign to prevent housekeeping from entering at 8:15am. In the real world, most of us are too busy to remember to put out the DND sign every night, and every once in a while go workout in the morning, come back, and forget to dead bolt the room. Sometimes, I have the DND sign out overnight and go for breakfast. The DND sign falls on the floor. I throw it into the room and go on my way. I then come back and shower.

Under no circumstance is it ok for housekeeping to enter at 8:15am. In fact, I would be annoyed if I was having a lie in and housekeeping woke me up at 8:15am with a knock. I just see no plausible reason for housekeeping to be cleaning my room at 8:15am, unless I have already checked out.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:38 am
Suspended

i put DND sign as soon as i go into my room in the first place after checking in, no worries about forgetting to put it...

even if i go in and out, the sign is always on
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I was unaware that it was the responsibility of the guest to dead bolt the room door and put out the DND sign to prevent housekeeping from entering at 8:15am. In the real world, most of us are too busy to remember to put out the DND sign every night, and every once in a while go workout in the morning, come back, and forget to dead bolt the room. Sometimes, I have the DND sign out overnight and go for breakfast. The DND sign falls on the floor. I throw it into the room and go on my way. I then come back and shower.

Under no circumstance is it ok for housekeeping to enter at 8:15am. In fact, I would be annoyed if I was having a lie in and housekeeping woke me up at 8:15am with a knock. I just see no plausible reason for housekeeping to be cleaning my room at 8:15am, unless I have already checked out.
Firstly I am sure I live in the real world and spend in excess of 15 nights a year in a hotel and can safely say I have always found time to put the DND sign out the night before and deadbolt or chain the door, it seems a sensible thing to do and takes maybe 3 seconds!

In regards housekeeping and 8:15 am I do not agree, many people at hotels are their for business and mabe outomlong before 8am for a business meeting. Thus housekeeping will go in to clean these rooms, it seems very reasonable of them to do this.

In regards your comment that you would be annoyed if woken up at 8:15 by a knock on the door, if you had put your DND sign out and this happened I would agree, if you had not and then got a knock on the door it is your own fault and not housekeepings!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had housekeeping knock loudly early on weekends despite my DND sign being on the door. I've also had DND signs disappear from my door overnight, presumably taken either by other guests who could not find their own DND signs or by drunks who think it's funny.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had housekeeping knock loudly early on weekends despite my DND sign being on the door.
In which case I would say complain as much as possible to the front desk as this is out of line!

I've also had DND signs disappear from my door overnight, presumably taken either by other guests who could not find their own DND signs or by drunks who think it's funny.
Unfortunataly not the hotels fault and little they can do about it, that said the more hotels that switch to an electronic system for DND the better, that and DND signs that are a little harder to remove would help!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Oddly enough this has not happened to me even once.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
When is this thread going to start having anything to do with SPG?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I was unaware that it was the responsibility of the guest to dead bolt the room door and put out the DND sign to prevent housekeeping from entering at 8:15am.
Unfortunately, we live in a society in the U.S. in which we consistently refuse to take responsibility for our actions/inactions. For example, there was a fairly well known case a number of years ago in which someone drove a riding mower off the top of a retaining wall. He successfully sued the manufacturer of the mower for his injuries because there was no warning sticker which told him not to drive the mower off the edge of a cliff. Really.

The hotel has provided you with the means to prevent people from entering your room without your assent. Use the deadbolt. If you choose not to, you live with the consequences. Yes, it is your responsibility to remember to use the deadbolt, just as it's your responsibility to remember to use the brake when you want to stop your car.

Sorry, but no sympathy over here.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 14, 2013 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Unfortunately, we live in a society in the U.S. in which we consistently refuse to take responsibility for our actions/inactions. For example, there was a fairly well known case a number of years ago in which someone drove a riding mower off the top of a retaining wall. He successfully sued the manufacturer of the mower for his injuries because there was no warning sticker which told him not to drive the mower off the edge of a cliff. Really.

The hotel has provided you with the means to prevent people from entering your room without your assent. Use the deadbolt. If you choose not to, you live with the consequences. Yes, it is your responsibility to remember to use the deadbolt, just as it's your responsibility to remember to use the brake when you want to stop your car.

We're not talking litigation here, we are talking service.

What is unreasonable about the following policy:

1. Housekeeping shall knock on the door three times and announce their presence. If guest responds, follow guest's request.
2. If no response, knock again three times more loudly (at a level sufficient to be heard throughout the room) and announce presence. If guest responds, follow guest's request.
3. If no response, crack door, announce presence one last time to ensure no unfortunate situation arises.
4. Proceed as usual.

I think this is pretty standard, and I've encountered it several times. It prevents any awkward situations for both housekeeping and guests. It seems like an easy way of avoiding problems. And it seems like good service.

Also, source your story please? I can't find anything and it strikes me as made-up.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: Starwood and Marriott Platinum

This thread has probably gone on longer than it should, but to close my position on this. I'm not suggesting that if this were to happen to me that I would request points or the like. I would just be annoyed. To compare that perspective to litigation or using brakes on a car isn't appropriate.

The door is locked without a deadbolt or a dnd sign out. So, its already preventing people from entering. Whats different here is a hotel employee entering, and I am of the opinion that 8:15 in the morning is too early for daily cleaning in a room that is occupied - regardless of deadbolting or dnd sign out.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by nittany987
Also, source your story please? I can't find anything and it strikes me as made-up.
No, I didn't fabricate it. It was, as I said, several years ago, and I don't specifically recall. I'm a litigator, so I would guess that it was in one of the industry publications at the time. There are numerous publications which list and describe cases and outcomes for other litigators to use as precedent. I recall specifically discussing it with my law partner at the time.

Originally Posted by nittany987
We're not talking litigation here, we are talking service.
To compare that perspective to litigation or using brakes on a car isn't appropriate.
I see it slightly differently. Agreed, it's not about litigation, -- that wasn't the point of my post, and please don't be distracted by that. It is your responsibility to apply some common sense and use the tools with which you have been provided to avoid an eventuality which you wish to avoid. You've been given brakes on a car, which you must use to stop the car and avoid a collision. You've been given a deadbolt on your hotel door, which you must use to prevent unwanted visits when you wish not to be disturbed.

That's my complaint about American society, described perhaps inadequately above in my previous post. We spend a lot of time discussing who should have done what to avoid an undesirable outcome when we have the tools to accomplish that ourselves. Sure, perhaps the Housekeeping staffer handled it in a suboptimal manner. But by using the mechanism provided specifically to prevent that occurrence (the deadbolt), you could have avoided it completely, and it would have taken you a fraction of a second.

I'm much less interested in assessing blame/responsibility for something than I am in accomplishing the goal (being undisturbed) as effectively as possible. The deadbolt would have been 100% effective. Even if they knock an extra time or two, a guest in the shower still may not hear. Deadbolt prevents entry. It's specifically provided for that purpose. It's perhaps the only 100% effective solution. Why would you consider any other approach?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happened to the social norm that it's common courtesy to knock before entering someone's room?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

That's my complaint about American society, described perhaps inadequately above in my previous post. We spend a lot of time discussing who should have done what to avoid an undesirable outcome when we have the tools to accomplish that ourselves. Sure, perhaps the Housekeeping staffer handled it in a suboptimal manner. But by using the mechanism provided specifically to prevent that occurrence (the deadbolt), you could have avoided it completely, and it would have taken you a fraction of a second.

The OP is from Japan.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:33 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
The OP could not confirm that the housekeeper did not knock on the door.

What happened to the social norm that it's common courtesy to knock before entering someone's room?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:42 am
Suspended

this thread is going nowhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.