Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Housekeeping entered my room without knocking

Housekeeping entered my room without knocking

Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Happened to me once in mid-July at Element Summerlin. I complained to the front desk and the Asst Mgr promised me they would compensate me with some SPG points. A month has passed and no bonus points whatsoever! That's on top of the fact that they couldn't even give me an one-bedroom studio I booked and I had to be downgraded to a smaller room in the first place!!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Never happened to me thankfully for all concerned. However, when at the Sheraton Towers Hong Kong my wife and I were walking down the corridor on the way to breakfast. The housekeeping trolley was in the corridor and a room door was wide open. As stepped around the trolley I glanced into the room and the guest was sitting at the desk stark naked, while the maid was working. An older guy, perhaps 60's or 70's. As we went down the corridor I asked Mrs F if she'd seen what I had and she confirmed that she had. Now bearing in mind that we were passing and I certainly didn't linger I was darned convinced that he wasn't wearing a stitch. What stunned me was both the fact that he seemed without a care in the world and that the maid was in there working. I know we could have been mistaken but I'm pretty sure we weren't.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Depending on where I am, I have to personally tell both housekeeping and reception that I don't want my room entered. I know that housekeeping "gets" it when they gleefully give me a few extra bars of soap/water.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Marriott, Hilton, Alaska
I have never had this situation - deadbolt that door!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Depending on where I am, I have to personally tell both housekeeping and reception that I don't want my room entered. I know that housekeeping "gets" it when they gleefully give me a few extra bars of soap/water.
In the US, housekeeping usually gets paid per room they make up. If you request no housekeeping, they don't get paid. Are you sure that was glee?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
In the US, housekeeping usually gets paid per room they make up. If you request no housekeeping, they don't get paid. Are you sure that was glee?
I would suggest that it is more that they get paid per room that they are "assigned".

There have been many times when I meet the housekeeper in the hallway and pick up my necessities, requiring no further work from housekeeping.(No Green Choice being used). Housekeeper is always thrilled.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Originally Posted by clublounger
I would suggest that it is more that they get paid per room that they are "assigned".

There have been many times when I meet the housekeeper in the hallway and pick up my necessities, requiring no further work from housekeeping.(No Green Choice being used). Housekeeper is always thrilled.
I often specifically tell them to check me off as done. If anyone chooses to do a followup, the answer is "Yes" they did an excellent job. I'm easy to please, most times, if they understand what I've said all goes well. Too many times I get a call from housekeeping afterwards asking if I want any service.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
As the housekeeper was shocked, no further action on your part, IMO, was warranted. By complaining to the front desk, you may have jeopardized the housekeeper's job. By your own admission, he/she was shocked: that being the case, no foul intention was on the housekeeper's part, yet I'm not so certain the same can be said by one who complains over such a simple mistake.

That said, get over your nudity. If there was insult on the hotel/housekeeper's part it was that your (temporary) space was invaded, not that your body parts were seen.
I disagree with your assessment. Let me correct one thing - I actually have no idea if she was shocked - I added that for dramatic effect.

I rarely complain about anything, and when I do it is always in very mild terms (complaining is not something that comes easily to me). Rest assured that when I spoke to the front desk I did it to let then know that I believe the maid entered without knocking and that 8.20 was too early for housekeeping on a Saturday. If other guests had the same issue then it seems totally reasonable that the front desk should be aware of this.

Furthermore, although I gave the impression of doubt about whether she knocked first, that was just my attempt to avoid the 'how can you be sure?' questions that would have followed otherwise. I had already finished getting dried and collected some things from the room when she entered.

As for your comment about 'get over your nudity' - you are misguided. I am comfortable being nude in front of others (I live in Japan and often go to public baths with strangers, colleagues etc). In this case my space was invaded when I assumed privacy. As an aside: on my visits to the US I sometimes go to the swimming pool. I don't think I've ever seen such 'body shame/guilt' as I do here (e.g. people changing clothes inside the toilet cubical, which seems pretty disgusting to me).

I wish the maid no ill will
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Happened to me at The Dorchester in London. Even with the DND on, a lady entered.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan
I disagree with your assessment. Let me correct one thing - I actually have no idea if she was shocked - I added that for dramatic effect.

I rarely complain about anything, and when I do it is always in very mild terms (complaining is not something that comes easily to me). Rest assured that when I spoke to the front desk I did it to let then know that I believe the maid entered without knocking and that 8.20 was too early for housekeeping on a Saturday. If other guests had the same issue then it seems totally reasonable that the front desk should be aware of this.

Furthermore, although I gave the impression of doubt about whether she knocked first, that was just my attempt to avoid the 'how can you be sure?' questions that would have followed otherwise. I had already finished getting dried and collected some things from the room when she entered.

I wish the maid no ill will
I am curious do you not think some of the fault / responsibilty lies with yourself for not using a DND at least or more sensibly the dead bolt for the door?

Either of these simple actions would have prevented the situation occuring at all and are provided to you in the hotel.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:29 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am constantly surprised on this board by frequent travelers who constantly do not use the provided security bolts or put out DND signs. It is almost like they are wanting something to happen to complain about.

I personally prefer early cleaning service and actually request it almost every time I am in a hotel. If the housekeeper believes the person is not in the room; with no DND sign or deadbolt when they try to enter.... I cannot fault them for coming in.

We have to take some accountability for our non-actions.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
I am constantly surprised on this board by frequent travelers who constantly do not use the provided security bolts or put out DND signs. It is almost like they are wanting something to happen to complain about.

I personally prefer early cleaning service and actually request it almost every time I am in a hotel. If the housekeeper believes the person is not in the room; with no DND sign or deadbolt when they try to enter.... I cannot fault them for coming in.

We have to take some accountability for our non-actions.
Sure, but HK should KNOCK before barging in, regardless. If they had, this wouldn't have happened.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nittany987
Sure, but HK should KNOCK before barging in, regardless. If they had, this wouldn't have happened.
the OP is not really sure if HK has or hasn't knocked

i already experienced being in the shower and not hearing someone knocking at the door

the only fault here from HK is to do the room so early in the morning

but as repeated several times here, if one doesn't want to be disturbed, should use DND sign and put deadbolt

it's becoming useless to discuss several pages to say if HK is faulty or not
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by nittany987
Regardless of the knock if the Op had put the DND sign on or bolted the door it would not have happened. Both these events would have prevented the lack of knock also and if the Op had still beein the the shower HK would have entered the room as the Op would probably not have heard the knock! So it would from the chain of events point of view seem the Op had more chance to stop this happening than HK!

I am not saying HK shouldnt knock but I do think we should take more responsibility for our own actions as well and the possible follow on events from them, not everything is something to complain about!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: Starwood and Marriott Platinum
I was unaware that it was the responsibility of the guest to dead bolt the room door and put out the DND sign to prevent housekeeping from entering at 8:15am. In the real world, most of us are too busy to remember to put out the DND sign every night, and every once in a while go workout in the morning, come back, and forget to dead bolt the room. Sometimes, I have the DND sign out overnight and go for breakfast. The DND sign falls on the floor. I throw it into the room and go on my way. I then come back and shower.

Under no circumstance is it ok for housekeeping to enter at 8:15am. In fact, I would be annoyed if I was having a lie in and housekeeping woke me up at 8:15am with a knock. I just see no plausible reason for housekeeping to be cleaning my room at 8:15am, unless I have already checked out.

Originally Posted by toddml
Regardless of the knock if the Op had put the DND sign on or bolted the door it would not have happened. Both these events would have prevented the lack of knock also and if the Op had still beein the the shower HK would have entered the room as the Op would probably not have heard the knock! So it would from the chain of events point of view seem the Op had more chance to stop this happening than HK!

I am not saying HK shouldnt knock but I do think we should take more responsibility for our own actions as well and the possible follow on events from them, not everything is something to complain about!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.