Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Housekeeping entered my room without knocking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping entered my room without knocking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:36 pm

I had the front desk manager try to enter my room without knocking twice in one day at a Radisson - but since I keep the safely latch/chain on she didn't gain entry. Told me she was just in a hurry to inspect the housekeeping service and didn't think to knock. Told her that thinking before hurrying was the better road since she didn't bother apologizing....
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Elfstar
I had the front desk manager try to enter my room without knocking twice in one day at a Radisson - but since I keep the safely latch/chain on she didn't gain entry. Told me she was just in a hurry to inspect the housekeeping service and didn't think to knock. Told her that thinking before hurrying was the better road since she didn't bother apologizing....
I hope you complained. This is not how a management level hotel employee should behave, It also sets a bad example for lower level hotel employees.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Be careful - the last time somebody said he was running around naked and the maid came in he found himself arrested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_v._Strauss-Kahn
I didn't know you were on FT, Ben Brafman.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan
Unfortunately I was not long out of the shower so was completely naked! I grabbed the nearest towel but maybe I wasn't fast enough

Anyway, the housekeeper looked shocked, said sorry then left.

I complained to the front desk manager who apologized and said he'd look into it.
As the housekeeper was shocked, no further action on your part, IMO, was warranted. By complaining to the front desk, you may have jeopardized the housekeeper's job. By your own admission, he/she was shocked: that being the case, no foul intention was on the housekeeper's part, yet I'm not so certain the same can be said by one who complains over such a simple mistake.

That said, get over your nudity. If there was insult on the hotel/housekeeper's part it was that your (temporary) space was invaded, not that your body parts were seen.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Next time just lock the door before your shower.... and any time you do not
wish anyone to enter.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:53 pm

So now we have to forgive someone who doesn't follow the very basic and enter a room without knocking ?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Gld HH SPG
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Be careful - the last time somebody said he was running around naked and the maid came in he found himself arrested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_v._Strauss-Kahn
PMSL LOL
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by macaron95
indeed

housekeeping always has hotel listing, so wondering why the person would come at 8:20AM

not a decent time for making the room...
HK on floors hallway see you exit rooom, know you are going down to the restaurant breakfast, and if you forget the DND sign, try and clean room early.

My other half was really annoyed once, as only I went down to breakfast, and room cleaning still entered room despite DND left on.

Obviously I can not set deadlock from outside room, and my other half was still napping.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by scubaccr
HK on floors hallway see you exit rooom, know you are going down to the restaurant breakfast, and if you forget the DND sign, try and clean room early.

My other half was really annoyed once, as only I went down to breakfast, and room cleaning still entered room despite DND left on.

Obviously I can not set deadlock from outside room, and my other half was still napping.
Sounds like your other half and HK had other plans while you were at breakfast...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:36 pm

In this case, it sounds like a "Green Choice" might have averted a red face.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
So now we have to forgive someone who doesn't follow the very basic and enter a room without knocking ?
I would hope actually we are in a position to not look to cost someone their job or look for compensation because they happened to "maybe" forget to knock at one door of many rooms they service in a day that did not have DND sign on it or the bolt locked!

The need to forgive suggests there was really something done really wrong here and I would suggest the person who has a shower without putting the DND on or bolting the door is the one who should apologise but certainly complaining about it is way over the top! The Op said they were not long out of the shower, maybe they knocked when in the shower, someone walking past distracted them for a couple of minutes and then as no one had come to the door they entered!

Not saying it is the case but in this situation there is surely enough doubt to mean complaining or making an issue for someone who was just trying to do their job is not justified! It would seem a nasty world if something like this really requires any action other than a red face or two and sharp exit and lesson learned by both parties!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Was the housekeeper cute?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, MR Plat, Hyatt Plat, National Exec
Try twice in a week

I stay at the same Marriott virtually every week. One week, I came in very late, slept in late, showered late, and opened the bathroom door (naked) to see the housekeeper in my room. She was on the older side, but I can't imagine how it was possible to not hear the shower running. My coworkers (all consultants) got a big laugh when I told them I forgot to use the deadbolt.

Next day, got up much earlier, didn't deadbolt the door after getting coffee (didn't think the maid service would come before 8), and was about to jump into the shower when the bathroom door opened, and - surprise! - the same maid. Neither time did I hear knocks.

Weird, right?

I didn't report it, though - she seemed to be fairly old, and a little confused, and I didn't want to risk her losing her job.

Last edited by Raov; Aug 12, 2013 at 4:39 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Happened several times in Frankfurt

Stayed at the Adina Frankfurt last year and this happened several times - I thought it was a German cultural thing. They would knock and open the door one second later without waiting for a response. The housecleaning staff did it, the maintanance guy did it and the bellhop did it. I was considering just leaving my door wide open. And the door did not have any locks or chains so nothing I could do other than perhaps mover the sofa in
front of the door.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan
I usually do that, but sometimes I forget.
The same for me.

Recently, at a hotel in London, as I was getting out of my room (and had therefore removed the DND sign), I needed to go to the toilets.

And what supposed to arrive arrived.

When I was in the bathroom, I heard the housekeeper knocking at the door, waiting one second, and then opening the door.

She then heard a desesperate NOOOOOOO from the bathroom, shut the door and said tactfully "Oh, I am sorry, I thought nobody was there anymore".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.