Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2013 Q4 Global Promo: SPG Take Two, Double Points + 2,500 per 5 nights, Sep 1 - Dec 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Q4 Global Promo: SPG Take Two, Double Points + 2,500 per 5 nights, Sep 1 - Dec 1

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
T.........
It's highly disingenuous of SPG to advertise a global/chainwide promotion when they know there will be a long list of opt-outs. It would be far more honest of SPG to not run global promotions. Instead, just have individual hotels that need to generate incremental bookings and want to run their own local promotions do so. No more halo benefit accruing to non-participating properties.
This is nonsense. I'm not a fan of the "opt-outs", but SPG is being very clear that there are properties that are not participating in this promo.

Individual hotels running their own promotions??? Sounds like as much fun as viewing the Starpicks page. No thank you.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:21 pm

More points. Yay!

Cheers,
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Plaza Athenee Bangkok

I decided to cancel my plan to stay at the Plaza Athenee Bangkok, next month. It is the only property in Thailand that is not participating in the coming promotion.
I regret that I stayed there during the previous promotion, for which they were already on the same 'not participating' list.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
This is better than a 1.5 point bonus. But come on SPG... Challenge us for Pete's sake. Boring.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
"Lucky" me, I have like 30 nights in this property during the "promo" period...

AUSTRIA

Four Points by Sheraton Panoramahaus Dornbirn

What is a chain about if so many may just opt-out??
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Quick question so I don't screw this up...

I've got a pretty big trip planned in October and a few small ones planned in September and need to book about 25 nights. Since I definitely want to get these bonus points and none of the places I was planning on staying at are on the opt-out list, do I have to wait until the sign-up before I make my reservations?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:09 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by catbox9
Quick question so I don't screw this up...

I've got a pretty big trip planned in October and a few small ones planned in September and need to book about 25 nights. Since I definitely want to get these bonus points and none of the places I was planning on staying at are on the opt-out list, do I have to wait until the sign-up before I make my reservations?
You can make your reservations before the promo starts. Just remember to sign up for the promo when it opens for registration, and you will automatically get the points after your stay posts.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by derpelikan
of course in the past, we had great promos with stay 2 get 1 free etc., but these days are over, so i am happy for the double points.
I tend to agree with you until hotels and planes are empty again those days will not happen.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
You can make your reservations before the promo starts. Just remember to sign up for the promo when it opens for registration, and you will automatically get the points after your stay posts.
Perfect. Thank you!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:24 pm

Hi, someone please help enlighten me, if I use my Amex SPG card to make a reservation of 5 nights during the promotion period with a qualified hotel, let say the total is $3000 USD, how many points would I get for this reservation? Is the following correct?

SPG + promo ($3000 * 3 *2) + (Amex)$3000 *2 = 24000

Thank you for the help.

And if I factor in the FT fee (2.7%), with the promotion, does it worth to the Amex SPG card or some other card that doesn't have FT fee?

Last edited by catcathk; Aug 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I agree w/ all the complainers about how lame it is that so many properties opt out of promotions. I think we should keep complaining :-). That being said, this is SPG... they always do this. And when I say always, I know they have done a couple w/ no opt-outs, but typically this is their style... Marriott never does this w/ their Megabonus fwiw.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by catcathk
Hi, someone please help enlighten me, if I use my Amex SPG card to make a reservation of 5 nights during the promotion period with a qualified hotel, let say the total is $3000 USD, how many points would I get for this reservation? Is the following correct?

SPG + promo ($3000 * 3 *2) + (Amex)$3000 *2 = 24000

Thank you for the help.

And if I factor in the FT fee (2.7%), with the promotion, does it worth to the Amex SPG card or some other card that doesn't have FT fee?
I think your calculation in incorrect. You normally get two times points, three times if elite, and four times if Plat75, with more if you have/use the SPG AmEx card.

Double point with Starwood means that the normal two times points becomes four times, but you still get the additional status extra points on top of this. So assuming that you normally get three points per dollar spent, the calculation would be as follows:

($3000 X 3 points per dollar) + ($3000 X 2 points per dollar for double points) + ($3000 X 2 points per dollar for SPG AmEx) = $3000 X 7 = 21,000 points.

The additional elite third point per dollar isn't in the base and Starwood does not double this as SOP for SPG promos.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Don't forget the 5-night bonus:

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

($3000 X 3 points per dollar) + ($3000 X 2 points per dollar for double points) + ($3000 X 2 points per dollar for SPG AmEx) = $3000 X 7 = 21,000 points + 2,500 points = 23,500 points.

Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I agree w/ all the complainers about how lame it is that so many properties opt out of promotions. I think we should keep complaining :-). That being said, this is SPG... they always do this. And when I say always, I know they have done a couple w/ no opt-outs, but typically this is their style... Marriott never does this w/ their Megabonus fwiw.
Agreed--SPG is no Marriott. SPG is a minor player compared to Marriott.

I don't believe Marriott properties are allowed to opt-out of promos as SPG properties are. Marriott is the industry leader and it demands their properties fall in line if they want to be part of the Marriott brand.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
multi-room on the same day

Dear Lurker,

If I book multi-room on the same day, say 5 rooms, and I will pay for all the rooms.

1. Do I get double points for b all rooms?
2. Does that count 5 nights?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.