Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
It's interesting to note that 1/3 of people are Lifetime Plat and 2/3 are Lifetime Gold. I wonder if that's a similar ratio within SPG or if we're skewed more heavily towards Lifetime Plat here on FT.

Also, something is wrong with the way they offer Lifetime Plat imo. I have almost 700 nights and yet only 6 years Plat. Look how many people on the list have just over 500 nights and yet made Lifetime Plat (because they were careful about how they spread out there stays). My extra 200 nights get me nowhere and I'll end up with about 1,000 nights before I actually achieve Lifetime Plat due to the 10 year requirement. And yet others will do it in half that. At some point I think Starwood should take into account all these extra nights (perhaps at 750) and have them count towards status. I mean, that's a lot of extra nights with no reward.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I mean, that's a lot of extra nights with no reward.
Well it's not exactly true there's no reward. You are rewarded on every stay as an elite member. That means you have already had 200 more rewarding nights than the people who only have 500 nights. Plus we who did at least 10 years Platinum earned it by doing at least 50 nights per year for 10 years. If you only do 25 one night stays, you can be platinum, but not LTP.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well it's not exactly true there's no reward. You are rewarded on every stay as an elite member. That means you have already had 200 more rewarding nights than the people who only have 500 nights. Plus we who did at least 10 years Platinum earned it by doing at least 50 nights per year for 10 years. If you only do 25 one night stays, you can be platinum, but not LTP.
Yes, I understand I am rewarded for every stay. My point is that I may be more valuable (or should be considered at least as valuable) to Starwood with my 700 nights, 6 Platinum Years and 12 Elite years than someone with just over 500 nights who has 10 Platinum Years and 10 Elite years. And I do not have one night stays, my average is >3 nights per stay. Based on this I believe the way they are rewarding people is not catching everyone who may be important.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I've moved some discussion posts from the rollcall thread to this one.

Also, something is wrong with the way they offer Lifetime Plat imo. I have almost 700 nights and yet only 6 years Plat. Look how many people on the list have just over 500 nights and yet made Lifetime Plat (because they were careful about how they spread out there stays). My extra 200 nights get me nowhere and I'll end up with about 1,000 nights before I actually achieve Lifetime Plat due to the 10 year requirement. And yet others will do it in half that. At some point I think Starwood should take into account all these extra nights (perhaps at 750) and have them count towards status. I mean, that's a lot of extra nights with no reward.
Where would you draw the line ? Is 850 nights and plat for 3 years worthy enough for LTP too ?

One could also argue that, as 12 years elite but only 6 as Platinum, had you shown more commitment to Starwood in the other 6 years, you'd be home and dry by now ....
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Where would you draw the line ? Is 850 nights and plat for 3 years worthy enough for LTP too ?

Not just that, but if they came up with a scheme for an intermediate number of nights, someone with higher spend will ask why "got nothing" for that.

The current requirements are simple and reasonable.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
It's interesting to note that 1/3 of people are Lifetime Plat and 2/3 are Lifetime Gold. I wonder if that's a similar ratio within SPG or if we're skewed more heavily towards Lifetime Plat here on FT.

You got rewards for every night....

Others like me would claim that I spent all of my nights at high end properties and I feel that there is something wrong because all of these salesmen spending little money with 4 Points only. And there are certainly people with only 400 nights but more than 10 years. So where is the border? SPG said 10 years and 500 nights.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Sweetvibes
Would be interested to see a link to a picture if you can post it.
To put it in-line here, with better pix than Google turned up:

By comparison, the less impressive competition

And the obligatory "drop it on the counter" video - http://youtu.be/okAzR-S60Yo
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CPRich

And the obligatory "drop it on the counter" video - http://youtu.be/okAzR-S60Yo
Supernerd mode on

When I received my card, needless to say I was impressed. And it did make quite the commotion when dropped on a table/counter. At some point, I noticed it had a very thin protective film over it - on both sides. After I removed the film, the noise level not only increased but had a more distinct, metallic clank.

Supernerd mode off.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I don't even know where I put my card. I do think LP should be acknowledged at check in like the do for mm on delta. Also, soon spg should make it more difficult to obtain LP.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by puntamita
Also, soon spg should make it more difficult to obtain LP.
Said by someone who is already LT Plat and assuredly would be grandfathered!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by controller1
Said by someone who is already LT Plat and assuredly would be grandfathered!
exactly
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I have not received my card as of yet, but today, when I returned home there was a package from SPG. In it was a white cloth Sheraton robe with my name embroidered on the sleeve and the "lifetime platinum" underneath it. In addition, there was a hand written note, and a nice both of breakfast tea! VERY VERY thoughtful gift from SPG! ^^^
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I have not received my card as of yet, but today, when I returned home there was a package from SPG. In it was a white cloth Sheraton robe with my name embroidered on the sleeve and the "lifetime platinum" underneath it. In addition, there was a hand written note, and a nice both of breakfast tea! VERY VERY thoughtful gift from SPG! ^^^
^^
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: Golden Circle, Skywards
Seeing as to get LP, it's done by nights, would it then make sense for me to change my staying pattern to earn Plat by nights or to carry on earning by stays but stay more often? Also am I right in thinking that AMEX Platinum Status doesn't count towards LP?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by StoobyDoo
Seeing as to get LP, it's done by nights, would it then make sense for me to change my staying pattern to earn Plat by nights or to carry on earning by stays but stay more often? Also am I right in thinking that AMEX Platinum Status doesn't count towards LP?
For LT status. it's nights not stays. If you will have 50 nights per year anyway, then hotel hopping to rack up stays isn't needed. I had several years of 25-30 nights and 25 stays, so I needed 100+ nights last year even after hitting my 10 years.

I think the AmEx question is answer upthread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.