Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by mooper
I meant to post similarly a week ago, but you beat me to the punch. I like your outline, and would suggest a few tweaks:

1) Keep Silver/Gold/Platinum tier names, and add Diamond. Would not devalue current LT Plats down to perks akin to Gold.

2) Diamond gets suite upgrades.

3) Stick with the nights requirements (both annual and LT) that you've laid out, but boost the point requirements significantly in light of the 3:1 transfer ratio. Someone who spent $800K lifetime on an Amex SPG, even with zero MR points and no stays at SPG, would already meet LT Diamond using the 2.4MIL points you proposed. I'd boost LT Point requirements for Silver/Gold/Plat/Diamond to 2MIL/3MIL/4MIL/5MIL.

4) Add "Years of Membership" requirement back in, but counting only the longer tenure someone has in either program (e.g., if you were a MR member for 6 years and SPG for 11, you'd have 11 years of membership). LT Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond would require 6/8/10/12 years of membership (not status). This helps, but not completely eliminate, the ability to rapidly buy LT status through various means ($50 meetings to earn 10 nights, etc.)
If you absolutely need a point requirement make it independent of CC points i.e. only spending on nights, incidentals etc. This would make everything less US centric. I would rather see a high nights (BiB) requirement and a removal of any points requirement
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
1. Get rid of points requirement. This penalizes people without the worthless MR CC. Recognize my stays, not my CC usage

2. Combine nights - there is not enough discussion about this. It seems most people have either SPG or MR; what about those of us who have both?

3. Grandfather LT or combine, whichever is greater. Allow grandfathered a reasonable path to next level

4. Realize SPG is the superior program when designing new program

5. Come up with a better CC for combined program. I got rid of both the MR VI and the SPG AX as neither was very good.

Rant over

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Jan 12, 2018 at 8:43 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
1. Get rid of points requirement. This penalizes people without the worthless MR CC. Recognize my stays, not my CC usage

2. Combine nights - there is not enough discussion about this. It seems most people have either SPG or MR; what about those of us who have both?

3. Grandfather LT or combine, whichever is greater. Allow grandfathered a reasonable path to next level

4. Realize SPG is the superior program when designing new program

5. Come up with a better CC for combined program. I got rid of both the MR VI and the SPG AX as neither was very good.

Rant over
Curious as to what issue you have with the SPG AX. Thx!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin
No issue, just not worth the annual fee for what it provides...only real benefit was the elite qual nights which I never needed anyway

In my case, dumping the MR VI was apparently a mistake (from a LT points requirement perspective)

I had to make decisions, not going to pay annual fees for DL/IHG/HH/MR/SPG/Chase

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Jan 12, 2018 at 9:28 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin
Best unbonused spend card for me by a mile (plus on property)...elite nights are a bonus
controller1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

RE #1 - it incentivizes an activity that is extremely profitable for Marriott. Doubtful they would eliminate this.

RE #2 - Pretty sure they will combine.

RE #3 - They already announced they will grandfather. Making a reasonable path to the next level is indeed vital.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
RE #1 - it incentivizes an activity that is extremely profitable for Marriott. Doubtful they would eliminate this.

RE #2 - Pretty sure they will combine.

RE #3 - They already announced they will grandfather. Making a reasonable path to the next level is indeed vital.
What will be most interesting is if they back calculate SPG “points” and convert.

Thankfully they have announced, officially, that SPG LT status will be honored (a few anti-intellectual assertions to the contrary). I do think they will introduce a higher Diamond tier or the equivalent. But it may not offer a LT...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I do think they will introduce a higher Diamond tier or the equivalent. But it may not offer a LT...
I hope they don't make LT unavailable.for the highest tier. That would leave those who worked hard to earn LT Platinum in a bad position especially if Platinum gets watered down. Making the requirements tough to achieve would be fine, but making it untouchable for LT is a different story.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Fair enough, however is not the biggest selling point of the CC free nights obtained from the MR points accumulated from spending ... What would the average holder of the MR CC value the most?
(1) LT points on your card OR
(2) a higher points earning per dollar
in other words how many would cancel their cards if the card no longer accumulated LT points?

I don't know the definite answer to this question(s) but this is definitely question(s) that needs to be answered when u decide whether the new program will have cc points add to LT points
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope they don't make LT unavailable.for the highest tier. That would leave those who worked hard to earn LT Platinum in a bad position especially if Platinum gets watered down. Making the requirements tough to achieve would be fine, but making it untouchable for LT is a different story.
I hope they do offer it too - I might qualify for it right away if offered. I'm just saying that, by way of example, I don't think it was smart of UA to offer a LT GS status (though it's a bit different given some of the capacity control games they play). But not offering it for LT (just annually) ensures you have people still spending nights and $$$ trying to get it, if the benefits are good enough...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:33 am

Combining the total nights in each program would seem to be a fair way to determine status in the new program, even if the number of nights required is at the higher Marriott threshold of 750. 10 years elite status is not unreasonable. Drop the points requirement/CC nexus; Grandfather existing LT arrangements and create a pathway of certainty for those who are in spitting distance of achieving LT status ( eg, within 50 nights or a year as the rules exist currently)
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paolo64
Combining the total nights in each program would seem to be a fair way to determine status in the new program, even if the number of nights required is at the higher Marriott threshold of 750. 10 years elite status is not unreasonable. Drop the points requirement/CC nexus; Grandfather existing LT arrangements and create a pathway of certainty for those who are in spitting distance of achieving LT status ( eg, within 50 nights or a year as the rules exist currently)
IMO part of the reason Marriott had the points requirement is 1) to counter LT night inflation via all the ways commonly discussed (rollover, credit card, meeting nights, etc.), as well as 2) their more bottom-heavy portfolio of a lot of properties w/lower ADRs. So one could rack up lots of cheap/free nights if wanted, good for annual status, but that hurt you in LT qualifying (lots of examples of this in the MR forum).

Because Marriott has the SPG data going back to 2002 or whatever, I am guessing they will incorporate it. I do recognize this is not a good outcome for OUS loyals...
mooper likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:31 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by paolo64
This would be great.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:38 pm

Yay! I had my 25th stay this year and within two days of check-out, my status has been updated to LIFETIME PLATINUM!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Yay! I had my 25th stay this year and within two days of check-out, my status has been updated to LIFETIME PLATINUM!
Achieving 25 stays at least a couple of days ago is pretty impressive!
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.