Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

EXPIRED: Plaza Athenee BKK THB 2'499++ incl. bfast exclusive to Flyertalk Community

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXPIRED: Plaza Athenee BKK THB 2'499++ incl. bfast exclusive to Flyertalk Community

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
thanks so much for your prompt reply - and I can understand your reasons but perhaps you should know that this is a huge DISINCENTIVE for any platinum traveling with 2 people as the breakfast plus ug would not be something I would normally pay for.

Paying the higher rate does not make this rate so attractive compared to your competitors - so not a good deal for this platinum, but maybe you aren't trying to get more plats to your hotel anyway
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
As a new member to Flyertalk, and a new member to SPG in 2009, the latest Plaza Athenee promotion is nothing short of awesome. I've been to bkk before and have stayed at some pretty good hotels, however I never stayed at this hotel. When I saw this promotion, it was a "no-brainer" for me, so I booked a few nights. Low price, breakfast, extra starpoints... Although I am only a leisure traveler at Preferred Guest Plus level, it is nice to see offers like this.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by KosraeTV
Ok Ok, since some of my friends seem to enjoy getting drunk on the spg kool aide.... I'll admit that sometimes I drink some of it but I'm not addicted to it. Yes yosithezet I'm talking about you as one of them...

SPG is great in many parts of the world, great hotels and some great values, the top hotel association IMHO, and my IATA agency is starwood pro agency, Le Meridien is good in many areas of Thailand, but I just don't see the Plaza Athenee as being that great of a hotel, value, or location compared to what else you can get in BKK. I just don't see it and the cost here is really not that good to me.

If you don't need or are not addicted to the SPG points / stays, in BKK you can get a one bedroom condo (washer / dryer, full kitchen, work space, etc...), breakfast, internet at about 2700 a night all inclusive. Now for me who is working there for two / three weeks at a time that is a much better value. And you can pull a month stay at even better rates.

For quick stays Citidines and others are doing junior rooms (kitchenettes, couches, etc..) at about 1500-1700 baht. But then again you're not getting any points / stays and granted their breakfast are terrible. But I'm not going for the food at the hotel and if you are not building up the stays to get to Plat or such then I find BKK to be a city to look beyond national chains or associations.

BKK is full of hotels, locally owned or managed as well as national chains. And I just find that you can get better hotels and values by looking at various locations and contacting them direct. For some folks who are new to BKK and want the safety of the SPG line then fine, 2500 baht for a night or two OK, but BKK really has some nice hotels and some great deals if you spend the time to contact places and bargain a little.
Kosray: I agree w/you 100%. There's plenty of sweet 4 star properties for $40-70. The rooms will be as nice as the PA or Westin (usually larger). Being smaller hotels, they lack some amenities, the gym & pool will be smaller, there will only be one restaurant etc. I like the Centrepoints and Compass Properties. http://www.compasshospitality.com/index.shtml
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:34 pm
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
thanks so much for your prompt reply - and I can understand your reasons but perhaps you should know that this is a huge DISINCENTIVE for any platinum traveling with 2 people as the breakfast plus ug would not be something I would normally pay for.

Paying the higher rate does not make this rate so attractive compared to your competitors - so not a good deal for this platinum, but maybe you aren't trying to get more plats to your hotel anyway
Perhaps you could look at the THB 2'499++ as a discount to the THB 2'699++ rate. I know the "discount" (or "increment") is US$ 5.80*, but it all adds up

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)

*Conversion used is THB 34 to the US$

Last edited by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood); Oct 3, 2009 at 7:44 pm
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Perhaps you could look at the THB 2'499++ as a discount to the THB 2'699++ rate. I know the "discount" (or "increment") is only US$ 5.80*, but it all adds up

Best regards,

emphasis mine

But is that the rate used by the hotel? And what about those nasty international currency conversion fees? This easily could approach a $7 delta. (j/k)
Old Oct 3, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
5700 THB not 4200 ??!!!

I'm trying to book a suite using this promotion.
and yes I 'm SPG platinum (and regular at the Plaza Athenee) and would have a reasonable chance of suite anyway at the lowest paid-rate.
BUt contrary to the stated rate of 4200++ the booking page charges 5700++ !
Come on now, room-only and you want 1500++ for an extra person, quit with the bait & swich already.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
I missed out number of persons I wished to book for in my post above.
4200++ rate (suite) becomes for 5700++ when the reservation is for two persons occupying.
If the price is 5700 then please amend your flyertalk, er, flyer to reflect that. regards, Werldporks
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:21 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Perhaps you could look at the THB 2'499++ as a discount to the THB 2'699++ rate. I know the "discount" (or "increment") is US$ 5.80*, but it all adds up

Best regards,

Yes, it all adds up, for both parties. I agree with estnet that this is a disincentive for Plats. I'd rather have the $5.80/night in my pocket.

---

With the bonus it seems that Plats are making about 10 Starpoints to the dollar.

500 Plat Amenity + 1000 bonus points for 2 night stay + 480 for the $80*2 rate paid / (80 * 2 * 1.17) = 10.57 Starpoints / dollar

Is my math sound?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Star Alliance Gold
upgrade using points?

does anyone know if using SPG points, per night, to upgrade to a Royal Club room is possible in combination with this promotion?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by werldporks
I missed out number of persons I wished to book for in my post above.
4200++ rate (suite) becomes for 5700++ when the reservation is for two persons occupying.
If the price is 5700 then please amend your flyertalk, er, flyer to reflect that. regards, Werldporks
Apologies for this - an oversight on our part.

It is THB 4'200++ for 1 or 2 people - THB 1'500++ is for the 3rd person occupying the room (the value of the extra bed).

We'll have a look into our system and make the necessary adjustments.

Best regards,
Old Oct 4, 2009, 4:56 am

Apologies for this - an oversight on our part.

It is THB 4'200++ for 1 or 2 people - THB 1'500++ is for the 3rd person occupying the room (the value of the extra bed).

We'll have a look into our system and make the necessary adjustments.

Best regards,
Thank you. I will make the reservations as soon as it shows

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 4, 2009 at 7:02 am Reason: Fix ubb coding
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by werldporks
Thank you. I will make the reservations as soon as it shows
It looks to be an error that will need to be looked at by our IT Associates (who will be in the office tomorrow). In the meantime, feel free to make the booking for 1 and place in the comments that 2 adults will be occupying the room - you will be charged the THB 4'200++ rate.

I assure you that no "bait-and-switch" is, has, or will be taking place from our end for these promotions.

Thank you for your support.

Best regards,
Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I tell ya, notwithstanding what I viewed as service lapses when I was at the PA, the speedy assistance and problem resolution by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood) is definitely a plus for the PA, just as William and Theytus make dealing generally with Starwood that much easier. Other vendors should take a page from Starwood's approach, especially with FT. ^^^
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Any deal for FlyerTalkers is a good one

Originally Posted by KosraeTV
OK what am I missing???? I travel to BKK a lot and compared to other places these do not look that good of a price.
I guess I am confused by some of the responses that suggest this deal is not "good enough". It is better than nothing and nothing is what is being offered to flyertalkers on 99% of the other hotels - starwood and otherwise.
We should be encouraging more hotels to offer Flyertalkers deals!

Looking up the rates for the PA without this deal, I can get a prepaid deal rate that happens to include breakfast and it is 3300 baht per night. So at the very least, the offer is a reduction of 600 baht - over 15% off the existing lowest rate the hotel offers to anyone else. And for the dates I was looking, the PA was the lowest priced starwood hotel in Bangkok before the discount. Yes, the breakfast part of the deal isn't worth anything to me as a plat. But I will take the 600 baht discount per night and an additional 1000 SPG points and not worry too much about what the hotel could have given me to make me REALLY happy.

If this deal will not bring you to the PA, then you were not likely interested in a stay at the PA anyway. But for those who were considering a starwood hotel in BKK during this time period, this is an additional factor in the PA's favor and it will affect my choice. I have about 6 nights in BKK coming and was hoping to try out the new Le Meridien as well as the SGS. But now I am likely to have at least a 2 day stay at PA and may consider a 2nd two day stay.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
You would have to book the double rate, since 2 people are occupying the room.

Perhaps I could use a hypothetical example to explain the increment:
In the (very distant) past, some Hotels used to charge more for double occupancy even if the room rate was without breakfast or any other per-capita amenity. So, perhaps - to make it easier to understand - the THB 200 increment is not to be considered for breakfast, but for having an additional person occupying to room.

We realize the increment only applies to the Deluxe room category, but this has been done to encourage bookers to choose the Royal Club or Deluxe Suite rooms as a result.

I hope this clears things up!

Best regards,
What 200 THB ?? I tried to book a suite for 2 people sharing the room and the site quoted me an increase of THB 1500 !

in German from the website:
(Gebühr für Zusatzbetten: THB 1500.00 pro Zusatzbett und Nacht. )
(translation: Charge for additional bed: THB 1500.00 per additional bed and night)

In this case it will be the Westin, SGS or Hilton Millennium for me in November. October stays are already booked at the Westin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.