Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

EXPIRED: Plaza Athenee BKK THB 2'499++ incl. bfast exclusive to Flyertalk Community

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXPIRED: Plaza Athenee BKK THB 2'499++ incl. bfast exclusive to Flyertalk Community

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I think that I agree with the general tone of the responses, having stayed at the PA for 16 nights in August/September, and the SGS several times in the past. Yes, this rate is significantly less than what the SGS offers, but the service is also not the same as that which you receive while at the SGS, as I posted earlier.

OTOH, one big advantage that the PA has over the SGS IMO is that during the reservation process, they seem really to want your business, notwithstanding service and attitude lapses during the stay, itself. Last January, when I was looking for exception handling of my rezzy at the SGS (for another 2+ week stay), and the hotel had at least five floors closed due to lack of business, the Reservation department told me what the policy was and that was that. I stayed at the Grand Millennium instead. For this most recent stay, when I asked the PA for some exception handling of my rezzy, they were happy to accommodate my request.

I'll be returning to BKK in the January/February timeframe, and will consider the PA once again, depending on what's on offer for the relevant time period.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
OK what am I missing???? I travel to BKK a lot and compared to other places these do not look that good of a price.
For SPG hotels? I also travel to BKK quite frequently and haven't seen published rates like this for a SPG hotel in many years. Please explain.

Actually I wish the promo was made eariler because I'm booked for 2 nights at the Plaza at the end of the month but at 3800 AI including breakfast with a stay at the Westin in between.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Thank you for the feedback!

While we understand that there may have been more attractive rates out there in the market, we feel that for a 5* product within the Starwood Chain, the price point offered is very competitive. Not to forget, the added bonus (for lack of a better word) are the SPG Bonus Points which are awarded for 2 and 4-night stays.
Well stated.

Sure, you can stay at the Holiday Inn Silom for $54/night, and it's a perfectly servicable hotel, but at the end of the day it is still the Holiday Inn.

For a few dollars more the PA offers 5*, SPG stay/ night credit, superior plat recognition, bonus starpoints and an amazing breakfast. And, IMHO, one of the best concierge desks in BKK.

My only suggestion - given that breakfast is offered to plats already, why not allow them to substitute Free in-room Internet for the free breakfast? The incremental cost for bandwidth is probably less than that of the breakfast ...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
This is one of the best rates I have seen at an SPG property and the fact that it includes breakfast is a big deal when you consider breakfast and the points added in. Very generous and I challenge anyone to find me a better offer at any other SPG property. Unfortunately I will not get to take advantage as I am not going to be in BKK until after the first of the year but still a great deal and a good way to take advantage of double stays as well.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:45 am

Royal Club Suite?

How about adding a rate for a Royal Club Suite?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
How about adding a rate for a Royal Club Suite?
Good suggestion.

Also, how 'bout adding one for the Theme Suites (scroll to bottom)!

Hey - a fatman can dream, cant' he?

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Oct 2, 2009 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
My only suggestion - given that breakfast is offered to plats already, why not allow them to substitute Free in-room Internet for the free breakfast? The incremental cost for bandwidth is probably less than that of the breakfast ...
Good suggestion; if only the marketing guys had done their homework, they would have realised that at least half of us here are Platinum members (who would receive free breakfast at any Starwood hotels in BKK anyway) and free internet would be better appreciated.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Very generous and I challenge anyone to find me a better offer at any other SPG property.
I do see BHT3,000 rates (on prepaid basis) quite regularly, which is not that much more than the double occupancy rate under this promo. The small differential is unlikely to entice me to switch to the PA. If they had thrown in a free dinner, it might probably do the trick
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:30 am

specialty rooms

I think this conveys more recent pictures of the rooms:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri...ropertyID=1846
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I think this conveys more recent pictures of the rooms:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri...ropertyID=1846
Very nice - thanks for the link. Is it just me or did the PA just update its photos? I love the overhead of the stairwell!
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by mario33
Its a fair rate, the attractive part is the free breakfast (but if you are plat you will get it anyway) and the bonus points (which average out to 500/night).

While the hotel is decent and perfectly adequate for someone on business, its not the best place to stay on a leisure trip. Decor is very dull (compared to say Conrad nearby) and recreation facilities are minimal (eg no tennis court); if the hotel really wants to attract the leisure guests here, their marketing dept should be more creative in packaging the promos.
Ok Ok, since some of my friends seem to enjoy getting drunk on the spg kool aide.... I'll admit that sometimes I drink some of it but I'm not addicted to it. Yes yosithezet I'm talking about you as one of them...

SPG is great in many parts of the world, great hotels and some great values, the top hotel association IMHO, and my IATA agency is starwood pro agency, Le Meridien is good in many areas of Thailand, but I just don't see the Plaza Athenee as being that great of a hotel, value, or location compared to what else you can get in BKK. I just don't see it and the cost here is really not that good to me.

If you don't need or are not addicted to the SPG points / stays, in BKK you can get a one bedroom condo (washer / dryer, full kitchen, work space, etc...), breakfast, internet at about 2700 a night all inclusive. Now for me who is working there for two / three weeks at a time that is a much better value. And you can pull a month stay at even better rates.

For quick stays Citidines and others are doing junior rooms (kitchenettes, couches, etc..) at about 1500-1700 baht. But then again you're not getting any points / stays and granted their breakfast are terrible. But I'm not going for the food at the hotel and if you are not building up the stays to get to Plat or such then I find BKK to be a city to look beyond national chains or associations.

BKK is full of hotels, locally owned or managed as well as national chains. And I just find that you can get better hotels and values by looking at various locations and contacting them direct. For some folks who are new to BKK and want the safety of the SPG line then fine, 2500 baht for a night or two OK, but BKK really has some nice hotels and some great deals if you spend the time to contact places and bargain a little.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
can plat book at single rate for two?

Since plat would get free breakfast if I am staying with 2 people can I book at the single rate?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 3:11 am
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
Since plat would get free breakfast if I am staying with 2 people can I book at the single rate?
You would have to book the double rate, since 2 people are occupying the room.

Perhaps I could use a hypothetical example to explain the increment:
In the (very distant) past, some Hotels used to charge more for double occupancy even if the room rate was without breakfast or any other per-capita amenity. So, perhaps - to make it easier to understand - the THB 200 increment is not to be considered for breakfast, but for having an additional person occupying to room.

We realize the increment only applies to the Deluxe room category, but this has been done to encourage bookers to choose the Royal Club or Deluxe Suite rooms as a result.

I hope this clears things up!

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Old Oct 3, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
You would have to book the double rate, since 2 people are occupying the room.

Perhaps I could use a hypothetical example to explain the increment:
In the (very distant) past, some Hotels used to charge more for double occupancy even if the room rate was without breakfast or any other per-capita amenity. So, perhaps - to make it easier to understand - the THB 200 increment is not to be considered for breakfast, but for having an additional person occupying to room.

We realize the increment only applies to the Deluxe room category, but this has been done to encourage bookers to choose the Royal Club or Deluxe Suite rooms as a result.

I hope this clears things up!

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Fair enough were only talking 200++bht.

Thanks to all the PA managment for this great Promo to the flyeralk community.^

You will get my business this fall/winter.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:54 am
cxn

IMHO, this is a good rate for this Hotel. I have stayed here and had planned on staying during the last promo but my trip was canceled in the end.

For a SPG hotel where you get points, stay credits, nights, etc this is a good Hotel for a good Value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.