Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JoshPhillips
(1) What is your home airport? SJO/SJC/OAK
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Cheap
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-50k spikes more in some years
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? gold last year on CO now have Silver on Continental but that will end early in 2011
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? upgrades, easy award travel, early boarding, no baggage fees.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? SJC-IAH for work
(7) Preferred Airlines That's what I am researching here!
I am debating transfering to United for most things given that CO and UA are merging anyway and UA has more SFO based flights. With that in mind I am also considereding getting a UA card vs a CO card. UA card currently offering triple & double miles, on many purchases. for less in an annual fee. I am wondering though if using miles on UA is harder. i currently have 100k or so miles in my CO program that i am guessing will merge over times.

advice would be appreciated.

josh
You're better of sticking with CO for a little longer - when they merge, you will get the same status anyway. Also, CO status applies to UA metal as well, so if you want to fly UA it still works out for you.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Asking for my wife...

(1) What is your home airport? NYC/STL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AA PLT 1MM
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? This will be a secondary account, so mainly good redemption with priority services if she flies enough.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc): Middle East - Africa on MS, ET. May have option to fly EK/EY, but these look to have limited partner opportunities.
(7) Preferred Airlines: Mostly oneworld, so agnostic for *A
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Some choice of airline...
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
(1) What is your home airport? DUS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? a lot of M and some C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50-60K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? LH Frequent Traveler
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often : DUS-STR (40xRT); DUS-PDX (2xRT)
(7) Preferred Airlines : LH
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? work
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by flo0816
(1) What is your home airport? DUS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? a lot of M and some C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50-60K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? LH Frequent Traveler
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often : DUS-STR (40xRT); DUS-PDX (2xRT)
(7) Preferred Airlines : LH
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? work

I dont see any better option than sticking with MM. I would suggest BMI's diamond club, but its only a matter of a few months or so before the ff program is merged to MM. IF YOU CAN get gold status in time in DC (approx 54k miles), that should translate to senator status upon plan acquisition. My fear would be could you amass 54k before the merger slated to happen next year. I think DC gold would give you lounge access regardless of itinerary in any *a lounge, but I may be wrong on that point. Others have suggested Aegean for ease of lounge access, but redemptions are horrible. Asiana is another to look at as well for ease of status.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Originally Posted by 1967cougar
I dont see any better option than sticking with MM. I would suggest BMI's diamond club, but its only a matter of a few months or so before the ff program is merged to MM. IF YOU CAN get gold status in time in DC (approx 54k miles), that should translate to senator status upon plan acquisition. My fear would be could you amass 54k before the merger slated to happen next year. I think DC gold would give you lounge access regardless of itinerary in any *a lounge, but I may be wrong on that point. Others have suggested Aegean for ease of lounge access, but redemptions are horrible. Asiana is another to look at as well for ease of status.
Thx for the advice! I think I might be able to get 54k before the rumored merge date in July. I am wondering what is going to happen during a merge. Any experience around here? I mean the 130k to make Senator in Germany will not be possible for me anyways and even the 100k with a change of address will most be out of reach with my current traveling plans. So if Silver translates to FT at MM I would be able to get that with one flight in C to PDX, right? My first flight will be in February so that should seal the silver. So the only thing I would give up would be the 25% I get with my FT status. Or am I making a mistake in my calculations?

Another bonus I just found out might be that I stay 140-160 nights at Hilton/year.

Last edited by flo0816; Dec 14, 2010 at 11:22 am
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC Peon / Hyatt Discoverist
Been reading these threads furiously over the past 2 weeks. For the life of me, I cannot decide... I seek advice from the gurus.

With Aeroplan needing AC metal segments/miles, I don't think I can reach status with Aeroplan anymore.

(1) What is your home airport? DUS/CGN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Personal travel, whatever is cheapest; business trips, discounted biz
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-30k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AP Prestige but losing it next year (hence, my desire to find something else)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Accumulating miles& long expiration period, lounge access secondary, bonus miles tertiary
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: DUS/FRA to Rio and to Singapore
(7) Preferred Airlines: No preference.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work

Any insight is highly appreciated. I also want to match it with a FFP credit card. Think for Oneworld, a Exec. Club Visa. For *A, there are more options. LH maybe? Pulling my hairs out!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by flo0816
Thx for the advice! I think I might be able to get 54k before the rumored merge date in July. I am wondering what is going to happen during a merge. Any experience around here? I mean the 130k to make Senator in Germany will not be possible for me anyways and even the 100k with a change of address will most be out of reach with my current traveling plans. So if Silver translates to FT at MM I would be able to get that with one flight in C to PDX, right? My first flight will be in February so that should seal the silver. So the only thing I would give up would be the 25% I get with my FT status. Or am I making a mistake in my calculations?

Another bonus I just found out might be that I stay 140-160 nights at Hilton/year.
Past miles/more acquistions have resulted in members with gold status being granted senator status with MM for 2 years. A nice arrangement since now you have 2 years of senator, and more importantly 2 years to get 100k to renew senator for a 3rd yr. But what happens with Diamond club can be different. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that this would happen but I can certainly hope.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Well I'd like to recieve some more opinions now
(1) What is your home airport? SIN/YVR

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy?

Business as much as I can, but that means sometimes its not on *A as it's always the cheapest J fare. recently we figured we can afford HKG-SFO-YVR on *A along with SIN-MNL in Y.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?

I can expect to fly SIN - MNL (Y) at least 6 times a year and most probably that, but on some years it will be 8 times or 4 round trips
The same goes for HKG - SFO - YVR, 3rt /6 times a year but some years may be 8 times or 4 round trips
SIN - DEL J (probably on TG) but could be on any airline including 9W/TG/MH/AI twice a year, or 1rt

So overall
SIN - MNL 3x Y (1400 x 3 = 4200) 4200 SQ
MNL - SIN 3x Y (1400 x 3 = 4200) 8400 SQ
HKG - SFO 3x J SQ
SFO - YVR 3x J (7500 x 3 = 22500) 30,900 UA
YVR - SFO 3x J
SFO - HKG 3x J (7500 x 3 = 22500) 53,400
SIN - DEL 1x J (2500 x 1 = 2500) 55,900 TG/AI/MH/9W
DEL - SIN 1x J (2500 x 1 = 2500) 58,400 BIS miles probably about 1000 short than actual figure

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?

Nope

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Accumulation of miles with no/long expiry dates. Lounge is partially important but I figured with my travel I will nearly always get lounge access once I have that status.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often: I have my travel plans planned out above

(7) Preferred Airlines: No preference.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
(1) What is your home airport? GIG/NCE

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Discounted business

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~150,000

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Yes US CP; AA EXP; DL DM.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Accumulation of miles with long expiry dates. Lounge is not important since I always get it via fare or status anyway.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often: (in order) GIG-NCE; GIG-SVO; GIG-MUC; GIG-NYC; GIG-MIA; GIG-HKG

(7) Preferred Airlines: AF (shocking, I know); LX; JJ; SU; CX
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both

The US *A program works very well even though I rarely fly US. I fly them to US only, when they're cheapest. SM is decent also, with SWU usable on AF/KL, a big benefit for me. OW is last even though I have nearly 8mm AA miles, because of high prices and lousy OW service on AA/BA/IB
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Question

Hello all. Occasional lurker, first time poster.

First, the answers to the main questions:

(1) What is your home airport? LAX.
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? The lowest price economy fare.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Under 25k, but I accumulate another 75-100k using credit cards.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, priority service.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? I don't have any regular routes.
(7) Preferred Airlines No preferred airline. (Not entirely true--I prefer JetBlue when it goes where I want to go via LGB.)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. I can chose my airline/route for work, but I'm expected to fly economy.

Here are the extra details. I am obviously not a "real" frequent flyer. I have a few 10s of thousands of miles accumulated at a few US domestic airlines. Most of my "miles" are in the form of SPG points obtained via my SPG Amex. I choose routes based on fewest stops and most comfortable aircraft, then price. I recently started a new job that has me flying somewhere about four times a year. It could be as close as SFO or as far as SHA, I don't know in advance.

My goal is to start focusing my mileage into a single airline alliance so that maybe one day I'll be able to get a few upgrades to business class. Or even book a RTW ticket for a special occasion. I still expect to accumulate the bulk of my miles via credit card points, but I'm not attached to the SPG card.

I suspect the best program to join is United because I already have some miles with them, and they do fly pretty much anywhere I need to go in the US. A secondary question would be: should I keep using the SPG card and transfer the miles to my FFP using the 25k for 20k feature, or get a card that accumulates the miles directly (e.g. Chase MP Select Visa)?

Oh, and I suppose a tertiary factor would be: it's important that the FFP allows me to buy a ticket for my spouse using my miles, as the miles will mostly accumulate under the credit cardholder's FF account.

I appreciate any feedback, even if it's just to tell me that my plan is a lost cause.

Thanks!

W
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:03 pm

I'm currently on Aeroplan. However, I've now moved from Canada to the U.S., so I'm thinking I should probably switch FFP to be able to make use of upgrades. I'd greatly appreciate any advice/input.

(1) What is your home airport? DFW
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? lowest price economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 32k in 2010, ~50k in 2011
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Aeroplan Elite
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? 1) free lounge access, 2) frequent upgrades on travel
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Europe and Asia from US
(7) Preferred Airlines: Lufthansa, Air Canada; no preference on US carrier.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Work - at most I can chose a star alliance flight.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cbear81
I'm currently on Aeroplan. However, I've now moved from Canada to the U.S., so I'm thinking I should probably switch FFP to be able to make use of upgrades. I'd greatly appreciate any advice/input.

(1) What is your home airport? DFW
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? lowest price economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 32k in 2010, ~50k in 2011
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Aeroplan Elite
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? 1) free lounge access, 2) frequent upgrades on travel
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Europe and Asia from US
(7) Preferred Airlines: Lufthansa, Air Canada; no preference on US carrier.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Work - at most I can chose a star alliance flight.
Elites on US airlines only get free lounge access on international flights. Looking at your profile, you are probably best off sticking with Aeroplan, and flying through Canada when on the way to Europe or Asia
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:31 pm

Because of my continual status as Elite on Aeroplan and the new changes, I'm seriously contemplating whether it is time to make a change.

(1) What is your home airport? YYZ
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? D,Z (Lowest executive first) on flights > 6 hours if overnight, or any flight > 8 hours. S (tango plus) on all other flights.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >35k <50k usually. This year it will be >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AP *E.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades on travel as in actually be able to use upgrade certificates for either business or personal travel without having to pay more for an upgradeable economy ticket than executive class.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Europe 1-2 per year, South Africa 1 every 2 years, Asia 1-2 per year, South America 1-2 per year. US 6 times per year. Canada 2 times per year.
(7) Preferred Airlines For long distances I've almost only flown AC. LH and CO once. LH was definitely better than CO.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) I control all decisions on airlines, class of service for work and pleasure.

I also use the CIBC Aeroplan card which nets me over 50k in points per year. So if the answer is to switch to a different airline, a CC recommendation would be very much appreciated.

I currently have almost 500k in AP which I may only use 25k per year since I haven't been able to get my wife to accompany me on any of the long hauls... yet!

TIA
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by wierzbowski
Hello all. Occasional lurker, first time poster.

First, the answers to the main questions:

(1) What is your home airport? LAX.
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? The lowest price economy fare.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Under 25k, but I accumulate another 75-100k using credit cards.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, priority service.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? I don't have any regular routes.
(7) Preferred Airlines No preferred airline. (Not entirely true--I prefer JetBlue when it goes where I want to go via LGB.)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. I can chose my airline/route for work, but I'm expected to fly economy.

Here are the extra details. I am obviously not a "real" frequent flyer. I have a few 10s of thousands of miles accumulated at a few US domestic airlines. Most of my "miles" are in the form of SPG points obtained via my SPG Amex. I choose routes based on fewest stops and most comfortable aircraft, then price. I recently started a new job that has me flying somewhere about four times a year. It could be as close as SFO or as far as SHA, I don't know in advance.

My goal is to start focusing my mileage into a single airline alliance so that maybe one day I'll be able to get a few upgrades to business class. Or even book a RTW ticket for a special occasion. I still expect to accumulate the bulk of my miles via credit card points, but I'm not attached to the SPG card.

I suspect the best program to join is United because I already have some miles with them, and they do fly pretty much anywhere I need to go in the US. A secondary question would be: should I keep using the SPG card and transfer the miles to my FFP using the 25k for 20k feature, or get a card that accumulates the miles directly (e.g. Chase MP Select Visa)?

Oh, and I suppose a tertiary factor would be: it's important that the FFP allows me to buy a ticket for my spouse using my miles, as the miles will mostly accumulate under the credit cardholder's FF account.

I appreciate any feedback, even if it's just to tell me that my plan is a lost cause.

Thanks!

W
I'd say UA or CO (which will be combined probably in 2012).

Based on UA: If you get the right Chase UA card you'll earn elite qualifying miles for your ticket purchases (I think on either UA or CO's site) and probably extra miles for all *A tickets. Or if you spend over $35K per year, you can earn 5-10K EQMs on the high priced credit cards (which give either economy plus access or lounge access). All of those cards also offer the option to redeem miles to increase your EQM count from 1-5K additional. So it is possible you can make Premier status by using these boosts even with travel in the 15K miles range.

SPG does not transfer 1:1 to UA or CO (to encourage you to get a Chase card) so that is not a good way to build up miles in either program. You are better off using those to redeem in a program that is 1:1, even if you just use it for redemptions (e.g., US).

CO has a high priced credit that earns even more (flex) EQMs and includes lounge access and other perks (kind of elite lite).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PRO
Hi everyone. New to the boards here although I have been a miles junkie for several years now.. lol. This place is a treasure trove of information!

As the year comes to a close, I am considering changing programs and would be interested in some feedback.

I am currently Chairman's Preferred on US and have been for several years now. I feel I know my way around their system pretty well and in general have been satisfied enough with them, especially because I live in Phoenix. The free domestic upgrades are really generous; only once in the last two years have I not gotten an upgrade on a domestic flight.

For a variety of reasons, I decided to start flying Continental and United a little more this year, and really liked what I experienced. In fact I made a mileage run on UA a couple weeks ago and have earned Premier status on them for 2011 as well. The E+ seats alone are worth it.

I'm considering changing my efforts to earn 1K before pouring the additional resources into US's program. Here are the answers to the screening questions at the beginning of the thread, and would love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks!
Jason

(1) What is your home airport?
PHX

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
discount economy (and wait for the free upgrade), or discount business

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
>50k, plus maximize my credit card usage to earn additional EQM's

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
UA Premier, and US Chairman's

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Frequent upgrades on travel, and having upgrades confirmed at time of booking or as far in advance as possible, priority/dedicated phone numbers or call centers

(6) Which routes do you fly most often
about 40% USA domestic, 40% Europe, 20% Asia, Oceania, South America

(7) Preferred Airlines
any *A carrier is fine by me

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
travel almost exclusively for pleasure. I have flexibility with airlines and fares, but not with times or dates.

One other thing - I do use my mileage credit cards for just about everything. There seems to be quite the array of UA credit cards. Any advice on which one to choose? Or is there a separate forum I should post in? (Sorry if this is in the wrong place, be kind to the noob!)

Appreciate your input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.