Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by intub8r
Hi everyone. New to the boards here although I have been a miles junkie for several years now.. lol. This place is a treasure trove of information!

As the year comes to a close, I am considering changing programs and would be interested in some feedback.

I am currently Chairman's Preferred on US and have been for several years now. I feel I know my way around their system pretty well and in general have been satisfied enough with them, especially because I live in Phoenix. The free domestic upgrades are really generous; only once in the last two years have I not gotten an upgrade on a domestic flight.

For a variety of reasons, I decided to start flying Continental and United a little more this year, and really liked what I experienced. In fact I made a mileage run on UA a couple weeks ago and have earned Premier status on them for 2011 as well. The E+ seats alone are worth it.

I'm considering changing my efforts to earn 1K before pouring the additional resources into US's program. Here are the answers to the screening questions at the beginning of the thread, and would love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks!
Jason

(1) What is your home airport?
PHX

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
discount economy (and wait for the free upgrade), or discount business

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
>50k, plus maximize my credit card usage to earn additional EQM's

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
UA Premier, and US Chairman's

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Frequent upgrades on travel, and having upgrades confirmed at time of booking or as far in advance as possible, priority/dedicated phone numbers or call centers

(6) Which routes do you fly most often
about 40% USA domestic, 40% Europe, 20% Asia, Oceania, South America

(7) Preferred Airlines
any *A carrier is fine by me

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
travel almost exclusively for pleasure. I have flexibility with airlines and fares, but not with times or dates.

One other thing - I do use my mileage credit cards for just about everything. There seems to be quite the array of UA credit cards. Any advice on which one to choose? Or is there a separate forum I should post in? (Sorry if this is in the wrong place, be kind to the noob!)

Appreciate your input!
We do not know if E+ is staying (maybe an announcement coming in the next 2 months), so you might want to wait until that announcement before making a big commitment. UA and CO will combine programs after 2011 so it will not make a big difference whether you choose UA or CO for 2011. Since you already have UA Premier, stick with UA for 2011. UA does not award EQM easily besides flying. If you need credit card EQM to make your status, check the EQM earning provisions very carefully. Some cards are based on purchases on united.com and some are based on total spend. There is a limit of 10,000 EQM earned from credit cards per year plus you can convert up to an additional 50,000 RDM (earned from credit cards) to another (up to) 5,000 EQM if you want. There are threads on the cards and everything else in the UA forum here.

1K will get you 6 international (SWU) upgrades and 4 domestic (CR1) upgrades. You can earn more of both by earning EQMs above 100K.

Benefits are mostly but not entirely integrated across CO and UA for 2011.

You might be able to get a UA challenge to Premier Executive (1P) if they will use your US status (that is unknown). Then you could get 1P by flying 15,000 miles on UA in 90 days (other *A carriers won't count toward the challenge) instead of waiting until you earn 50K EQM (from all sources). If you challenge before July you will still need to make the regular qualification by Dec 31 to keep the status the following year.

I think you should start reading in the UA forum. You will learn a lot.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PRO
Thanks so much for the feedback, LAX... I am still pondering everything and noticed the ins and outs of the different credit cards. I was not aware of the potential demise of E+... I would be heartbroken. I am 6'4 and it was the first time in years I have flown in coach without my knees being bruised by the tray table supports.

All else being equal, I may give UA a try this year, especially because you can just buy status on US for a relatively small amount of money.

I will absolutely start reading the UA forums. They are a bit overwhelming to a newbie... Just wading through all the new abbreviations in a different frequent flyer system is homework for a few days!

Once again I appreciate the input. Will keep you posted!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
I'd say UA or CO (which will be combined probably in 2012).

Based on UA: If you get the right Chase UA card you'll earn elite qualifying miles for your ticket purchases (I think on either UA or CO's site) and probably extra miles for all *A tickets. Or if you spend over $35K per year, you can earn 5-10K EQMs on the high priced credit cards (which give either economy plus access or lounge access). All of those cards also offer the option to redeem miles to increase your EQM count from 1-5K additional. So it is possible you can make Premier status by using these boosts even with travel in the 15K miles range.

SPG does not transfer 1:1 to UA or CO (to encourage you to get a Chase card) so that is not a good way to build up miles in either program. You are better off using those to redeem in a program that is 1:1, even if you just use it for redemptions (e.g., US).

CO has a high priced credit that earns even more (flex) EQMs and includes lounge access and other perks (kind of elite lite).
Thank you for the input. I forgot about the 2:1 SPG:UA ratio until after I posted. Looks like UA plus Chase might be the best way to accumulate for eventual UA upgrades.

W
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Looking for input from the *A gurus. I'm wondering about suggestions to (a) assure myself of being at least 1P in 2012, and (b) figuring out how to maximize the chance of ending up at the 75k level.

I'm thinking about getting the Presidential Plus card, and running about $50k or so of spend there (I usually do $10k/month on all my cards combined, most of that now is on SPG Amex) to get 10,000 flex EQMs.

I'm looking for advice about whether it matters if I credit my CO-UA flying to one or the other -- and if it helps to credit it to UA, how much do I lose out by not booking as CO PLT.

My answers are below...

(1) What is your home airport? LAX.
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Starting 1/1/11, I can buy discount C for westbound transcon flights (6 hour block time or longer, so really only JFK, EWR or BOS to LAX), as long as my r/t is no more than $1,500 r/t. Otherwise, the lowest price economy fare (but that will sometimes be within 7 days of travel).
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50-75k - see below.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? In addition to being EXP (ending 2/28/11) and lifetime PLT on the dAArk side, I status matched to CO PLT in order to take advantage of the UA+CO merger.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, priority seating/boarding.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? LAX-JFK 6-10x/year (more if things are busy), and occasional trips around the west coast, plus 1 or 2/year to PHL/DC.
(7) Preferred Airlines Friends don't let friends fly Delta. I like E+, but not as much as AA F.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly for work. See #2. I'll do pleasure travel about 10k/year if fares are good.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: LH Sen, AZ, AA, EK, IG
This entire thread has been timely, helpful, and informative! My *A gold status is expiring in 2 months and I need to an alternative plan for 2011 and beyond since I won’t be able to reach the LH threshold any longer.

Thanks to all your advice and ideas, it seems my best options would be OZ or A3. I just joined both programs yesterday, but my first 2011 flight is in 3 weeks so I have a few days still to decide which to go with.

I have 2 RT tickets to ADD and 3 RT tickets to the US coming up in the next 8 months, so I would qualify for *A Gold with A3 by Feb/Mar and with OZ by summer 2011.

I’m currently leaning toward OZ since (if I understand correctly based on my reference day of 31 Dec 2010) my *A gold status wouldn’t expire until Dec 2014. That seems pretty appealing even considering the possible downsides of that program.

Do any of you have any specific insights based on my location/situation? Does OZ seem like a wise choice? I appreciate your help!

(1) Home Airport –.Torino (TRN) or Milano (MXP)
(2) Usual Fare Type –.Y
(3) Annual Miles –.25k–50k
(4) Status –.LH Sen/*A Gold
(5) Most Important Features of a FFP
••1st Priority.–.Free Lounge Access
••2nd Priority –.Low Threshold for reaching/maintaining Elite Status
••3rd Priority – Availability of Award Tickets

(6) Most common routes
••1. Intra-Europe
••2. Transatlantic

(7) Preferred Airlines
••No preference - whatever qualifies me for elite status
••Most often for work, occasionally for pleasure
••Yes, I can choose my airlines - but always Y tickets

Last edited by bipbip; Jan 1, 2011 at 8:52 am Reason: Just a couple minor corrections
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by bipbip
This entire thread has been timely, helpful, and informative! My *A gold status is expiring in 2 months and I need to an alternative plan for 2011 and beyond since I won’t be able to reach the LH threshold any longer.

Thanks to all your advice and ideas, it seems my best options would be OZ or A3. I just joined both programs yesterday, but my first 2011 flight is in 3 weeks so I have a few days still to decide which to go with.

I have 2 RT tickets to ADD and 3 RT tickets to the US coming up in the next 8 months, so I would qualify for *A Gold with A3 by Feb/Mar and with OZ by summer 2011.

I’m currently leaning toward OZ since (if I understand correctly based on my reference day of 31 Dec 2010) my *A gold status wouldn’t expire until Dec 2014. That seems pretty appealing even considering the possible downsides of that program.

Do any of you have any specific insights based on my location/situation? Does OZ seem like a wise choice? I appreciate your help!

(1) Home Airport –.Torino (TRN) or Milano (MXP)
(2) Usual Fare Type –.Y
(3) Annual Miles –.25k–50k
(4) Status –.LH Sen/*A Gold
(5) Most Important Features of a FFP
••1st Priority.–.Free Lounge Access
••2nd Priority –.Low Threshold for reaching/maintaining Elite Status
••3rd Priority – Availability of Award Tickets

(6) Most common routes
••1. Intra-Europe
••2. Transatlantic

(7) Preferred Airlines
••No preference - whatever qualifies me for elite status
••Most often for work, occasionally for pleasure
••Yes, I can choose my airlines - but always Y tickets

Look at BMI Diamond club. Theres a potential that Miles/More will acquire the plan perhaps mid year, but if you can snag BMI gold prior to the conversion (no definite plans announced, but they did confirm they have the "roadmap" in place, Miles and More SHOULD transfer you over to them as a Senator for 2 years. A few things have to fall into place for you, but BMI has a very good accumulation scheme and excellent redemptions. NO blocking on their award seats so you can use virtually any *A airline through BMI unlike united's mileage plus that blocks you from seats on certain carriers (LH for one).

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jan 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:44 am

(1) What is your home airport? FRA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? discounted Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~25-35k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? M&M FTL
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, C-Class Awards TATL, Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Intra European on business, 1-2/y FRA-YHZ (leisure)
(7) Preferred Airlines? *A so far
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? mostly work, occasionally leisure.

Can book my own travel for business, up to 20% over cheapest fare

Is it worth sticking with *A/M&M or might AF/KLM be a better bet?

Thanks for your advice
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by DUB-FRA
(1) What is your home airport? FRA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? discounted Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~25-35k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? M&M FTL
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, C-Class Awards TATL, Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Intra European on business, 1-2/y FRA-YHZ (leisure)
(7) Preferred Airlines? *A so far
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? mostly work, occasionally leisure.

Can book my own travel for business, up to 20% over cheapest fare

Is it worth sticking with *A/M&M or might AF/KLM be a better bet?

Thanks for your advice
I dont know if I would switch to AF/KLM. I dont have personal experience with it, but have read about some substantial nightmares that are encountered when trying to use the website for redemptions and other things. Being based in FRA, I dont see how AF would benefit you since you are in the middle of MM country and all of the great codesharing available with *A. I guess the contrary arugment would be that you would have less competition for upgrades since most flyers based in FRA/MUC would be MM members. Also, wouldnt almost every flight you took under AF require a connection somewhere? (Good for miles/segments, but do you want to add the extra travel time?)
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:35 pm

(1) What is your home airport? PVG

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50k Economy, 30k Business (Although some on other programs)

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Air China Gold

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rates

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Singapore4-6 times a year (economy), Europe, mainly Stuttgart, 2-3 times a year (business), US, mainly LAX, 1-2 times a year (economy - personal trips so may not be Y), China many times (Economy), Rest of Asia (Economy)

(7) Preferred Airlines - Singapore airlines

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mainly for work. US and some Asia trips are for personal

Any quick reply would be great! I am flying today to Singapore already and will probably not use CA anymore if possible.

Last edited by ko_leos; Jan 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:50 am

Hi Cougar,

I haven't looked closely at AF yet, I just see them coming up as alternative on my corporate travel site all the time and they seem to attack LH on price ex Fra.
Maybe I just need to learn how to optimize M&M for my needs, so far I just couldn't get anything out of it, that's why I was posting here to check for alternatives. The start of the year just looked like the best time to do so

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by DUB-FRA
Hi Cougar,

I haven't looked closely at AF yet, I just see them coming up as alternative on my corporate travel site all the time and they seem to attack LH on price ex Fra.
Maybe I just need to learn how to optimize M&M for my needs, so far I just couldn't get anything out of it, that's why I was posting here to check for alternatives. The start of the year just looked like the best time to do so

Thanks
MM is certainly an acquired taste, but if you can hit their numbers you will be treated very well. Honestly, I am looking forward to the potential/rumored merger of Diamond Club to MM for a few reasons. Some people were upset this year because MM raised the bar a little bit too much for some. But most people forget that a ff program is a privilege and not a right. I dont have personal experience with the AF plans. you may want to go to their thread and observe what their loyal users have to say, both pro and con. I can tell you that the grass is not usually any greener on the other side. When I decided on using BMI DC it was after a fair amount of research based on my needs, and I did not weigh the advice of others too heavily because they are going to be skewed heavily. I've seen people bash a plan for the stupidest of reasons and usually its their own fault for the problem, then I've also seen people tout how great a program is, but have hardly and experience with it.

I'm partial to the *A because my EU travels from the states almost always takes me to slovakia and the czech republic, its because of LH's reach into eastern europe that I use *A. Not to mention that MUC is my most favorite airport in the world to transit. At the end of the day, I'm probably guilty of the skewing that I'm referring to!!

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jan 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:52 am

Programs: LH Sen, AZ, AA, EK, IG
Originally Posted by 1967cougar
Look at BMI Diamond club. Theres a potential that Miles/More will acquire the plan perhaps mid year, but if you can snag BMI gold prior to the conversion (no definite plans announced, but they did confirm they have the "roadmap" in place, Miles and More SHOULD transfer you over to them as a Senator for 2 years. A few things have to fall into place for you, but BMI has a very good accumulation scheme and excellent redemptions. NO blocking on their award seats so you can use virtually any *A airline through BMI unlike united's mileage plus that blocks you from seats on certain carriers (LH for one).
1967 cougar, thanks for the reply and the advice! That's a pretty good suggestion, and I have looked at BMI a little. My only problem is that if I could do what you suggest, I would have *A Gold only for 2 years and then I'm still stuck trying to reach Lufthansa's 100K threshold to requalify. I'm looking at the next 10+ years and want to choose a program I can qualify for and then requalify for with less miles and still get free lounge access, etc. With Asiana I just need 40K every 2 years, and that may be enough of a pro to overcome the other cons.

But, I hear your advice, and I'm still weighing all the possibilities. Thanks again! Anyone else have any input?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: US Airways Gold
(1) What is your home airport? PHL now, but moving to ORD in JUNE
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? cheapest
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 30k-40k now, but probably 20-25k once I move to Chicago
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? US GOLD
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, Access to Exit Row seating (i'm 6'5" so leg room is crucial), free bags
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? PHL-ORD now
(7) Preferred Airlines? *A but open for suggestions
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? about even right now but it will be mostly pleasure once I move back

Home is Chicago but I have been living in Philly for work for almost 4 years...finally getting transfered back in June. My flying will definitely decrease but I am assuming that I will be using the money I spent flying back home to see family on pleasure trips once I am back home for good.

It looks like my options are UA/AA out of ORD or I could just say screw it and go with Southwest.....doubt that though.

Any help is appreciated!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tyd450
(1) What is your home airport? PHL now, but moving to ORD in JUNE
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? cheapest
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 30k-40k now, but probably 20-25k once I move to Chicago
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? US GOLD
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, Access to Exit Row seating (i'm 6'5" so leg room is crucial), free bags
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? PHL-ORD now
(7) Preferred Airlines? *A but open for suggestions
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? about even right now but it will be mostly pleasure once I move back

Home is Chicago but I have been living in Philly for work for almost 4 years...finally getting transfered back in June. My flying will definitely decrease but I am assuming that I will be using the money I spent flying back home to see family on pleasure trips once I am back home for good.

It looks like my options are UA/AA out of ORD or I could just say screw it and go with Southwest.....doubt that though.

Any help is appreciated!
From Chicago you've got UA, AA, and WN as you say. I'd say UA for the free Economy Plus (E+) with elite status. UA requires 1P (50K EQM) to book exit rows in advance but E+ is fine (and on some aircraft the same pitch).

You will also get free bags and might get some upgrades, although not on popular routes from ORD.

UA and CO are combining and have not announced if E+ is staying or not, but for now it's on all UA mainline and a lot of express.

UA doesn't normally match status from another *A carrier but given your move you should ask them to do a challenge, in which you fly a certain amount of miles on UA metal in 90 days and get the status for the year. If you match before July 1, you'll have to make the normal qualification by year end to keep the status next year (otherwise you get it for the next year). Challenges might be suspended for a few weeks at the beginning of the year but it looks like they are taking requests. You get the status during the 90 day period.

http://www.united.com/statusmatch

Since you are Gold, I think you have to match to 1P, which means a lot of flying during the challenge. But then you'd have 1P for up to a year and a half, with exit row booking and better upgrade priority.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: EBG
I currently have EBG status (that will last until April 2012) but thinking about joining MM this year. Mainly in order to recieve upgradevouchers:

(1) What is your home airport? OSL, but leaving to SAN from August 2011 until July 2012
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Z
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 115k this year
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? EBG
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, free lounge access.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? OSL-PVG, OSL-SAN, and SAN-PVG
(7) Preferred Airlines? LH and SAS, as they are the most familiar ones.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work, but I can choose airline myself as long as the price is within certain limits (i.e. typically restriced business)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.