Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM
(1) What is your home airport? CLT, GSO, RDU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? I try to use DL for most of my domestic travel since I'm a GM, but there are two or three business trips per year that I'm forced to fly US out of CLT (usually transcon) so I want to bank those miles in a *A program
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? DL GM
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? I'm never going to get status on *A, so the main thing I'm looking for is being able to cash in my miles every three years or so (whenever I manage to accumulate enough) for a domestic award ticket. Essentially, I want the program where it's easiest to get domestic tickets at the low level
(6) Which routes do you fly most often US Domestic
(7) Preferred Airlines As far as *A, don't really have any, although US non-stop out of CLT is convenient
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Am only looking to redeem for pleasure, since I only fly US when work mandates it
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Miles & More
Miles & More, or Eurobonus?

Hi! I´ve just started to work internationally and will fly business from ARN & CPH to Americas (North, South, Central), India, Middle East.

What would you recommend? EB or M&M? Should i maybe also take into account that LH might buy SAS?

(1) ARN & CPH
(2) C & Z
(3) Approx 150 000 or more
(4) No, just member of Eurobonus and Miles & More
(5) Upgrades and lounges
(6) Transatlantic, to India and to Egypt/Middle East.
(7) Star Alliance
(8) Just business travel, normally in business class, or discounted business class

Please advice!

Last edited by henke291; Jan 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm Reason: Clarifying
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by henke291
Hi! I´ve just started to work internationally and will fly business from ARN & CPH to Americas (North, South, Central), India, Middle East.

What would you recommend? EB or M&M? Should i maybe also take into account that LH might buy SAS?

(1) ARN & CPH
(2) C & Z
(3) Approx 150 000 or more
(4) No, just member of Eurobonus and Miles & More
(5) Upgrades and lounges
(6) Transatlantic, to India and to Egypt/Middle East.
(7) Star Alliance
(8) Just business travel, normally in business class, or discounted business class

Please advice!
I would choose LH in your case. LH has several non-stop options from FRA (and MUC) to India and the Americas (and lots of other places). Flying Business class will get you LH status (SEN or HON) quickly. That means, more chances of you getting upgraded to First class, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Should I choose Aegean?

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y
Normally, I will do few (2-4) SIN - CGK - SIN trips, normally I will try to do it on LH and SIN - BKK - SIN (normally on TG) for personal travel. Mostly done in Y unless there is some great deal on C.
May travel to some other destination for holiday also SIN-DPS-SIN (on QR or KL mostly)

This year, I will need to do SIN-TPE-SIN may be for the next 9 months. Most likely twice a month for business trip. Most likely I can try to push to fly SQ (although the company policy stated the cheapest fare, but normally we can push for SQ).
So this will be like at least 10-15 SIN-TPE-SIN trips.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
Mostly regular member. QR Priviledge Club Burgundy

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free
lounge access, etc.)
The priority is in the following order:
1. Lounge access
2. Free/Priority upgrade
3. Good redemotion
4. Others

As mentioned mostly intra-Asia. SIN-CGK-SIN, SIN-BKK-SIN, SIN-DPS-SIN, and SIN-TPE-SIN (for this year) and may be occasionally to Indian subcontinent

(7) Preferred Airlines
SQ, TG

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Pleasure - normally trying to get the "best" fare to accomodate the mileage
Work - Y class at the cheapest, but mostly can justify to fly SQ

I have been reading a lot about to get the *A Gold Status on Aegean. But, I think redemption wise may not be so easy for me. My question is once I get the *A Gold Status with Aegean, can I use the priviledge and collect miles on other program say TG ROP?

Last edited by lingua101; Jan 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Silver, Priority Club Gold, UA Premier
(1) What is your home airport? RDU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy except Business to Asia
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Depends, most of my flights are on DL but I put in over 50k on them last year
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? DL Platinum
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often *A would be primarily for intl travel
(7) Preferred Airlines Doesn't matter but USAir has the most flights out of RDU
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Travel for work. DL is preferred carrier unless something is cheaper. My main concern is getting the best bang for redemption. I have an upcoming trip (RDU-YYZ-PVG) on Air Canada. I currently have a Dividend Miles account but the balance is really low. I looked and USAir only gives 125% of miles flown on Air Canada business class. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:21 pm

I credited all my DL miles to KLM FB last year. Because FB credits 50%/25% for cheap DL tickets, I lost a lot of miles I could have redeemed. So guess I should get some advice

(1) What is your home airport? JFK
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Cheapest economy. K, U, T...
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 80K last year.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? KLM Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Dreaming about buying a crazy multi-leg route with miles.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Every month JFK-SFO, twice a year JFK-HEL-IST-JFK.
(7) Preferred Airlines: DL is usually cheaper
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Freelance work, pay for the tickets myself, thus getting the cheap ones

Depending on this I will choose with whom I'll fly this year. Torn between DL and UA. Thanks already
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:00 pm

LHR and PEK for now
Z (D or J) for long haul,
Economy for short
around 15k-20k?
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
MM FTL
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Priorities, Free upgrades...
Europe-Asia(China)
(7) Preferred Airlines
No particular preference, but quite enjoyed OS for LHR-PEK route via VIE
Pleasure

I am a college student now in the UK and due to graduate this summer, so not sure what will happen after that... I joined MM last summer and managed to get to FTL by the end of last year...

Used to be with CA on their FFP but their availability proved to be rather...let's say limited.... Haven't used my miles on MM yet (having about 57000 miles now thanks to the few J flights between the UK and China...) |Reaching *G with MM looks rather impossible now but is there any better use of 2-3 time return J-Class between LHR and PEK miles..?

I have to say MM is much better than CA already, but since a lot of FTers seem to think BD is better, shall I start Diamond club as well or I shall just keep my MM?

P.S. There is a possibility for me to work in the States next year... but just like every other graduates now nothing is certain...

Help is much appreciated
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: Eastern Miles (Silver), Miles & More, Flying Blue (Silver), Priority Club (Gold)

PVG (Shanghai)

Mostly Y for trips inside China, medium-level economy for trips to Germany.

Between 15-25K on Star Alliance. Additionally, around 20K on MU.

No. Currently have about 30K miles with Miles & More.

1. Lounge access, priority services (to make travelling more comfortable)
2. Free upgrades
3. Redeem miles for free flights

Mostly China domestic. PVG-SIN and PVG-FRA about 1-3 times per year.

(7) Preferred Airlines

Not much choice in China ;-). CA, MU.

Mostly work, but can influence on choice of airline.

Unfortunately, I have to choose MU for many flights in China, so not that many flights with CA are left. Therefore, I hope to get the most value out of the *A flights. I am a Miles & More member (and use the credit card heavily), but I fear I might not make it to earn the 35K miles needed for FFP. Also, I feel that there is no benefit in using M&M while living in China - redemption of flights is probably as cumbersome with M&M as with any other *A FFP, except the CA Phoenix one. Is that true?

I'm eyeing on the BMI or Aegean FFPs. Would that be a better choice for my situation? Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:59 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
based in Australia, any *FFP to recommend?

Does any of you would have some experience with a FFP from Australia. I understand that mainly SQ offers credit card option... that would be the 1st choice, but then the earn/burn ratio on Krisflyer is very low...

Any suggestions ?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
We have a dedicated thread with FFP recommendations:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

But the main questions will be what you want from a program and what your flying and spending patterns are.

If you fly a lot of paid C or F, why not continue with M&M?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:15 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

I would do 2 longhaul in c per year. I could continue with m&m but the absence of credit card scheme makes a big difference
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:17 pm

I looking for a program that is not BMI or miles and more that will give best value for collecting miles in for business long haul class flights with:
Lufthansa
Air New Zealand
ANA
Singapore
Continental
Air China

I am looking for 200%+ miles and/or good redemption rates.

I may have a demanding itinerary coming up and want to maximize miles.

I originally intended to claim them with Air Canada but then I checked and they only offer 150% in business.

Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:41 am

Anyone?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:24 am

Programs: Delta Diamond thru Feb 2012
Aeroplan or Krisflyer?

(1) What is your home airport? (Melbourne, Australia)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (discounted economy)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (>50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (Delta Diamond)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (Transpacific)
(7) Preferred Airlines (previously Delta, but now will be Singapore and Air Canada)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Work. Have some choice of airlines, no choice in class of service.)

I have recently relocated from Montreal, Canada to Melbourne, Australia for work and am about to book my first trip for work and need to have this decided before I do. Unfortunately, loyalty to delta/skyteam does not seem to be a viable option from Melbourne and will likely start using Singapore for my business travel.

Question is, do I join Krisflyer or dust off my old Aeroplan card and work towards elite on that? Which one offers better benefits?

Also, I know Krisflyer does not take challenges, but would aeroplan take a challenge based on my Delta record and offer me status for a year in exchange for my potential business?

Any help or suggestions would be great...

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:42 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Originally Posted by KimmaJimma
(1) What is your home airport? (Melbourne, Australia)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (discounted economy)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (>50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (Delta Diamond)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (Transpacific)
(7) Preferred Airlines (previously Delta, but now will be Singapore and Air Canada)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Work. Have some choice of airlines, no choice in class of service.)

I have recently relocated from Montreal, Canada to Melbourne, Australia for work and am about to book my first trip for work and need to have this decided before I do. Unfortunately, loyalty to delta/skyteam does not seem to be a viable option from Melbourne and will likely start using Singapore for my business travel.

Question is, do I join Krisflyer or dust off my old Aeroplan card and work towards elite on that? Which one offers better benefits?

Also, I know Krisflyer does not take challenges, but would aeroplan take a challenge based on my Delta record and offer me status for a year in exchange for my potential business?

Any help or suggestions would be great...

Thanks!
Provided you will still fly AC often enough for the status requirement, it will gives you a better earn/burn ratio. That being said, credit card availability might make the difference. SQ has a credit card scheme in AUS which could more than compensate the less advantageous burn ratio on SQ (Westpac or American Express).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.