Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) "Home" as it were, is DTW (Detroit) and/or DFW. Usually DTW
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Business class. Not sure what letter they are as it changes.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 50k or so
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) Singapore Elite Gold / PPS, Delta Elite Silver, AA 16k miles (no status)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Free flights from my work location to my "home"
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) From Shanghai to AU/UK/CH/US/BR
(7) Preferred Airline Singapore Airlines I suppose
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Primarily work.

I'm a US employee of a global company currently based in Shanghai, CN. Once each year, my company gives me a fixed sum for me and my family to fly back to the US (my parents are by DTW, my wife's parents are by DFW). What I'm trying to do is put all my work miles to a frequent flyer program and use the miles to fly home so I can keep the fixed sum as income.

Frankly, I don't care what alliance I use as I have some miles with all of them (though least with oneworld).

The reason I'm complicated is that I'm only here in Shanghai for another year or so and then they'll send me packing to some other country (most likely Brazil, Australia, Russia or Korea). I won't know where I'm going until just before they send me.

Thus I'm looking for the best airline program which can go pretty much anywhere.

In theory, I'd prefer Delta since it's a DTW hub, but sky team doesn't have asian airlines that I like (in my experience, if an airline has "China" in the title, STAY AWAY). So, my second thought was Singapore, but it looks like Singapore just doesn't have the flexibility for a China -> Detroit flight (other than with an insane amount of miles); only United / Conti has multiple offerings (along with Delta). Also looks like United / Conti has the widest range so that I can be somewhat assured of being able to use the miles even when the company relocates me.

Problem with them though, of course, is that the merger might mean I lose or have less optimal miles, and their practice of blocking out available "saver" seats means I might lose out on the entire reason I'd want to use them.

Would appreciate any insight. I'm about to get on board for another 8,000 mile trip next week and would like it to start counting toward my "best option" plan.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) "Home" as it were, is DTW (Detroit) and/or DFW. Usually DTW
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Business class. Not sure what letter they are as it changes.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 50k or so
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) Singapore Elite Gold / PPS, Delta Elite Silver, AA 16k miles (no status)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Free flights from my work location to my "home"
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) From Shanghai to AU/UK/CH/US/BR
(7) Preferred Airline Singapore Airlines I suppose
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Primarily work.

I'm a US employee of a global company currently based in Shanghai, CN. Once each year, my company gives me a fixed sum for me and my family to fly back to the US (my parents are by DTW, my wife's parents are by DFW). What I'm trying to do is put all my work miles to a frequent flyer program and use the miles to fly home so I can keep the fixed sum as income.

Frankly, I don't care what alliance I use as I have some miles with all of them (though least with oneworld).

The reason I'm complicated is that I'm only here in Shanghai for another year or so and then they'll send me packing to some other country (most likely Brazil, Australia, Russia or Korea). I won't know where I'm going until just before they send me.

Thus I'm looking for the best airline program which can go pretty much anywhere.

In theory, I'd prefer Delta since it's a DTW hub, but sky team doesn't have asian airlines that I like (in my experience, if an airline has "China" in the title, STAY AWAY). So, my second thought was Singapore, but it looks like Singapore just doesn't have the flexibility for a China -> Detroit flight (other than with an insane amount of miles); only United / Conti has multiple offerings (along with Delta). Also looks like United / Conti has the widest range so that I can be somewhat assured of being able to use the miles even when the company relocates me.

Problem with them though, of course, is that the merger might mean I lose or have less optimal miles, and their practice of blocking out available "saver" seats means I might lose out on the entire reason I'd want to use them.

Would appreciate any insight. I'm about to get on board for another 8,000 mile trip next week and would like it to start counting toward my "best option" plan.

Thanks!
I suggest A3.

They have the easiest status to attain, and have generous bonuses for flying in business class. For an economy award for PVG to DTW, it would cost 100 000 miles, which you would get in 1 year assuming that you chose your flights carefully according to this chart: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/ and all 50 000 miles you flew were in business class.

In terms of redemption, A3 has availability on most star alliance carriers, so wherever you are, you should be able to get enough miles to get home. (100k miles is their most expensive award, so whevever you go, you should still get enough miles to fly home).

Also, with A3, you get free lounge access on domestic flights, something which CO/UA/US elites don't get.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
oh, and if United / Conti is the best choice, is there any advantage to being a United FF vs a Conti FF for the next year until they merge?
Old May 4, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
oh, and if United / Conti is the best choice, is there any advantage to being a United FF vs a Conti FF for the next year until they merge?
not unless you are planning to fly with one of them, in which case you should take that program.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Also, with A3, you get free lounge access on domestic flights, something which CO/UA/US elites don't get.
This year (at least) CO *G do, if their home adress is in the UK ^
Old May 4, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Rebound
A lot of discount economy fares on Air NZ don't credit to other FFP, atleast with Airpoints you get Status Credits too, and remember Status Credit earnings will not be changing (just airpoints themselves). The most useful thing about being NZ*GE (other than *G) is that standby upgrades can be cleared 330 days in advance (R Class U/G Class for GEs).

I feel your pain about the devaluation, especially when Air NZ is expanding its partnerships with useless partners such as Flybuys, but I think its still the best option if you can maintain G/GE.

Thanks for the feedback. (I used to feel proud of ANZ, but much less so now)
Old May 5, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
What would be good *A complement for me?

Hi all, appreciate any advice you may be able to share. I'm currently a OW flyer, with Plat status on AA - on my way to EXP by the end of the year (100K miles). For domestic travel, AA is my go-to, so I'll be maintaining that OW status, but would like to try for *A status as well for international travel (*A seeming to have the better network). I'm not sure on which *A FFP I should focus my attention, however. More details in the answers, below. Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) IAD/DCA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y and lower; some reduced-fare C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 50 - 100K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) none on *A; AA Plat = OW Sapphire
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Priority services, upgrade ability and lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) for *A purposes Transatlantic and Transpacific; domestic flying likely to remain with AA/OW
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Primarily pleasure, so carrier and class of service is largely at my discretion
Old May 5, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I would suggest BD; they will match your AA EXP to Gold so you won't have to start from scratch.
Old May 5, 2011, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
I would suggest BD; they will match your AA EXP to Gold so you won't have to start from scratch.
+1
Old May 6, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by stifle
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
+1
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out BD and read up more about their match process. From the little I've seen, it does seem like I'd have to have a BD booking in order for them to do the match - is that right? Thanks again.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yes, that seems right. The lounge dragons in some BD lounges have a form that they can fill in to process the status match, or you can email DC with the usual details.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Question Hawaii-based - CO/UA, AC, NH or NZ

I'm Hawaii-based. ITO specifically, currently flying through HNL almost all of the time although I'll sometimes drive to KOA if there's a good fare on a direct flight from there to US48.

I fly for both work and pleasure (the balance of the two varies), always booked in Y, on fares that are comparable to the cheapest available. I, and others who book me for work, have a little leeway on price if it gets me a desired airline or alliance - but not a whole lot.

Since 2006, I've done 75K+ each year, and 100K+ some years. This year may be a little soft, though.

I'm currently a platinum medallion on DL (formerly NW), and have a lifetime membership in their SkyClub lounge. I've also been a non-elite member on UA for several years, and *A has been my second choice of alliance after SkyTeam.

Good geographic coverage is very important to me, as my common routes include places in Asia, North America, Europe and sub-Saharan Africa almost every year. When I joined NW in 2006, *A was very lacking in flights to my sub-Saharan destinations that didn't require backtracking from JNB, but of course that has since changed.

As far as preferred airlines, CO was the second airline I ever set food on (PEOPLExpress having since gone away) and when they were in SkyTeam and partnered with NW, I always felt I got good treatment from them. I've been less pleased with how UA historically treated me as a non-elite member, but I have 10,000 miles coming up on UA and CO in a couple weeks, and will see how that goes. I've got another 25,000 or so miles coming up in June and July that are yet to be booked...

I'm looking at *A for two reasons:

1) CO has announced daily ITO-LAX and weekly ITO-SFO runs starting next month. Everyone is happy about this, although among folks in the industry and FFs here in Hawaii, there's a non-zero amount of skepticism about what kind of loads they'll get, and what will happen to those frequencies at the end of the summer.

2) CO and UA have both been offering complimentary elite upgrades from the west coast to Hawaii. NW used to give Hawaii-resident elites upgrade certificates, but DL has done away with this practice.

Obviously, if CO/UA service to ITO sticks around, it's a great option for me. If not, I can still connect through HNL, or drive to KOA. But if I get to KOA, my options expand to include US and seasonal AC, and if I get to HNL, I get US, AC, NH and NZ.

So I could stick with my UA account, or go US, AC, NH or NZ. What say you?
Old May 10, 2011, 11:37 am

Hi guys, I would appreciate any help. My travel schedule will increase greatly with my new role and I would like to maximize my benefits by aligning with the appropriate airline. Currently I am USAIR gold and would like to stay within *Alliance. Please let me know if you need any more info.

I'm thinking that my only two options are US Air Preferred and the soon to be merged (Mileage Plus/One Pass)

(1) What is your home airport? RIC
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Always Economy, not sure what class that is
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k, maybe more soon
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? USAIR Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? In this order: priority services, Frequent upgrades on travel, and lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic but I fly to Europe twice a year
(7) Preferred Airlines All *alliance
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mainly for work, I can choose airlines but not class of service. It must always be economy
Old May 10, 2011, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jab9780
Hi guys, I would appreciate any help. My travel schedule will increase greatly with my new role and I would like to maximize my benefits by aligning with the appropriate airline. Currently I am USAIR gold and would like to stay within *Alliance. Please let me know if you need any more info.

I'm thinking that my only two options are US Air Preferred and the soon to be merged (Mileage Plus/One Pass)

(1) What is your home airport? RIC
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Always Economy, not sure what class that is
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k, maybe more soon
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? USAIR Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? In this order: priority services, Frequent upgrades on travel, and lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic but I fly to Europe twice a year
(7) Preferred Airlines All *alliance
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mainly for work, I can choose airlines but not class of service. It must always be economy
If you fly with US more, stick with them, if you fly with UA a LOT more, go to them. Keep in mind that you are better off with US because you won't have to start from scratch. UA gives E+, which US doesn't, but US essentially guarentees an exit row.
Old May 10, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravels
I'm Hawaii-based. ITO specifically, currently flying through HNL almost all of the time although I'll sometimes drive to KOA if there's a good fare on a direct flight from there to US48.

I fly for both work and pleasure (the balance of the two varies), always booked in Y, on fares that are comparable to the cheapest available. I, and others who book me for work, have a little leeway on price if it gets me a desired airline or alliance - but not a whole lot.

Since 2006, I've done 75K+ each year, and 100K+ some years. This year may be a little soft, though.

I'm currently a platinum medallion on DL (formerly NW), and have a lifetime membership in their SkyClub lounge. I've also been a non-elite member on UA for several years, and *A has been my second choice of alliance after SkyTeam.

Good geographic coverage is very important to me, as my common routes include places in Asia, North America, Europe and sub-Saharan Africa almost every year. When I joined NW in 2006, *A was very lacking in flights to my sub-Saharan destinations that didn't require backtracking from JNB, but of course that has since changed.

As far as preferred airlines, CO was the second airline I ever set food on (PEOPLExpress having since gone away) and when they were in SkyTeam and partnered with NW, I always felt I got good treatment from them. I've been less pleased with how UA historically treated me as a non-elite member, but I have 10,000 miles coming up on UA and CO in a couple weeks, and will see how that goes. I've got another 25,000 or so miles coming up in June and July that are yet to be booked...

I'm looking at *A for two reasons:

1) CO has announced daily ITO-LAX and weekly ITO-SFO runs starting next month. Everyone is happy about this, although among folks in the industry and FFs here in Hawaii, there's a non-zero amount of skepticism about what kind of loads they'll get, and what will happen to those frequencies at the end of the summer.

2) CO and UA have both been offering complimentary elite upgrades from the west coast to Hawaii. NW used to give Hawaii-resident elites upgrade certificates, but DL has done away with this practice.

Obviously, if CO/UA service to ITO sticks around, it's a great option for me. If not, I can still connect through HNL, or drive to KOA. But if I get to KOA, my options expand to include US and seasonal AC, and if I get to HNL, I get US, AC, NH and NZ.

So I could stick with my UA account, or go US, AC, NH or NZ. What say you?
I don't remember which US based *A member status matches, but I suggest just status matching to whichever airline you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.