Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What is wrong with DL / Skyteam ? Or Aeroplan ffp? [The airline and frequent flyer program are not one and the same]
On Skyteam AF/KLM, DL and others in Star Alliance will get you to EU. Get anywhere closish to Italy and then a train or other airline. EU is small compared to Canada & Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toront...tional_Airport

With only a few flights per year you will not earn many ff miles with any ffp. Can you get some ff miles from cc spend?
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the FFPs mentioned. Just trying to figure out how best to get status with one of them. (I've posted on a Velocity thread also and might have an answer pending a question about DL and VA code-share)
Also the trip to EU with Mom includes a cruise and a large and small suitcase for each of us. Preference would be to fly into FCO directly rather than another city and then train to FCO.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcpa
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the FFPs mentioned. Just trying to figure out how best to get status with one of them. (I've posted on a Velocity thread also and might have an answer pending a question about DL and VA code-share)
Also the trip to EU with Mom includes a cruise and a large and small suitcase for each of us. Preference would be to fly into FCO directly rather than another city and then train to FCO.
As on the VA thread, what do you expect from status?

Status only applies on the airline of your ffp and any alliance (OW Star Skyteam) partners. With frequent flyer partners outside of the 3 major alliances, status can have varying degrees of benefits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonar...micino_Airport

Chasing and changing ffp's can lead to disappointment
The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:19 am

Hello, new friends.

I am moving from DEN to SIN. I travel approximately 16 segments/year on business as an individual, and approximately 8 segments/year with my wife and kid, who otherwise do not travel. Including business travel, we buy the cheapest available tickets. The (only) priority is reducing the cost of and improving the family travel experience. Virtually all segments will be on United, Singapore, and in rare cases Scoot/Silk.

If I were to accrue all United this year, I would likely end up *close* to the PQP requirement for the lowest level despite flying about 35k miles.

(1) What is your home airport? SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25-50k, >50k) 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) No. I could attain MP Silver this year, currently have ~700 PQP and 6 segments.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Economy earning and redemptions, lounge access beyond what is available through Priority Pass Select.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Domestic US for a few more months, then SE Asia.
(7) Preferred Airlines - None.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work as individual, pleasure as family.

What do you think? My hunch is that I should chase status on whoever permits earning on discount economy tickets at 100% of flight miles, but I don't know who that would be.

Last edited by DEN_to_SIN; Feb 16, 2020 at 8:20 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:22 am

Greetings to all,

Lurker but decided something must change if I am ever to reach status, hence the post
Been with Lufthansa Miles&More for a couple of years trying to reach FT with segments flown(35) but always come up short in that regard. Since the company books me in Economy status via miles is not really feasible.

The plan for this year is to try the Ethiopian Airlines way(20 segments/silver, 40/gold) but i thought to axe the veterans here if there are there any alternatives?

Thank You

1) What is your home airport? PUY(Pula, Croatia)

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy(Company buys them), Premium Economy(LH flights for vacations)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) No. Tried with miles&more to reach status with flight segments since most of my flights are SH in Europe but never managed to.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge Access, would be nice to get some upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Within EU for business, one or two flights yearly to Asia for vacation
(7) Preferred Airlines - Not really, generally the company books me on CA(Croatia Airlines) or Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work as individual, pleasure as a couple.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by DEN_to_SIN
Hello, new friends.

I am moving from DEN to SIN. I travel approximately 16 segments/year on business as an individual, and approximately 8 segments/year with my wife and kid, who otherwise do not travel. Including business travel, we buy the cheapest available tickets. The (only) priority is reducing the cost of and improving the family travel experience. Virtually all segments will be on United, Singapore, and in rare cases Scoot/Silk.

If I were to accrue all United this year, I would likely end up *close* to the PQP requirement for the lowest level despite flying about 35k miles.

(1) What is your home airport? SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount economy
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) No. I could attain MP Silver this year, currently have ~700 PQP and 6 segments.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Economy earning and redemptions, lounge access beyond what is available through Priority Pass Select.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Domestic US for a few more months, then SE Asia.
(7) Preferred Airlines - None.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work as individual, pleasure as family.

What do you think? My hunch is that I should chase status on whoever permits earning on discount economy tickets at 100% of flight miles, but I don't know who that would be.
Basically no one in Star Alliance really credits discount economy at 100% anymore, or none that I can think of offhand. UA used to on their own flights and PQMs on JV partners, but now with the PQP thing, that's gone. United and Star Alliance Silver is more or less worthless as well. I wouldn't really pursue UA status unless you can get to Gold. You might go for Asiana for easier Star Gold, but earnings aren't great for discount economy. However you only need 40k qualifying miles over 2 years.

The one and only benefit I can think of for going for UA Silver instead is access to Economy Plus seating, however as Silver you can only get it 24 hours in advance, so on busy flights it may not be a benefit at all.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Basically no one in Star Alliance really credits discount economy at 100% anymore, or none that I can think of offhand. UA used to on their own flights and PQMs on JV partners, but now with the PQP thing, that's gone. United and Star Alliance Silver is more or less worthless as well. I wouldn't really pursue UA status unless you can get to Gold. You might go for Asiana for easier Star Gold, but earnings aren't great for discount economy. However you only need 40k qualifying miles over 2 years.

The one and only benefit I can think of for going for UA Silver instead is access to Economy Plus seating, however as Silver you can only get it 24 hours in advance, so on busy flights it may not be a benefit at all.
The only 100% crediting I can think of is all fareclasses on SK earn 100% or better to Krisflyer, which may not actually be a bad idea if flying ex-SIN. ARN-SIN is 12000mi, so fly that 3-4 times a year and that's a solid lock on SQ *G (or go ex-USA for possibly cheaper?)

E+ at T-24 is actually pretty good still. You might get stuck in a middle seat, but usually there's *something* at check-in.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:37 am

deleted... no longer relevant due to Revenge of the Pangolin.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Mar 18, 2020 at 8:24 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AF Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, AC 25K, United MP Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310

I was UA *S in 2018 and it was already brutal back then finding E+ seating that wasn't a middle seat at check-in. I think I scored about 3 E+ non-middle seats that year so I decided to consolidate and push for UA *G. But not this year, going back to Delta.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:20 pm

Thank you kindly for the feedback. Seems pretty tough for me to achieve and maintain any kind of status on discount economy. I'll just stick with UA for now and see if my flight patterns change.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:41 pm

Hello everyone!

Need advice on an upcoming trip:

I’m a Canadian doing my MD in Singapore and I had a few questions regarding my upcoming trips to and from Canada.
I fly SIN-EWR (SQ; P), EWR-YYZ-YFC (AC; Flex), YFC-YYZ-EWR (AC; Flex) and EWR-SIN (SQ; P) in March,
I fly SIN-LAX (SQ; P), LAX-YYZ-YFC (AC; Flex), YFC-YYZ-LAX (AC; Flex) and LAX-SIN (SQ; P) in June
I fly SIN-CDG (SQ; P) RT in December.

(1) What is your home airport?
SIN and YFC

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Premium Economy on International and Flex fares on AC.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25-50k, >50k)
25k-50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
No.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Accumulating points long-term and saving for flying SQ suites, ANA "room" or any good Business product. Lounge access would be nice to have as well but it is not really a priority since I am generally satisfied with Priority Pass and LoungeKey.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often ?
SIN to EWR/YYZ to YFC, SIN to CDG

(7) Preferred Airlines?
SQ, LH, AC and ANA.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Pleasure. Maybe work in a few years time when I start working as a doctor?

What do you think?
I’m stuck between

Alaska for SQ segments but I don't know how it joining OneWorld would effect this. I already have around 40k Alaska miles.
UA for both AC and SQ and even potential LH flights and the fact that the point never expire. With my flying, I might be able to achieve premier gold? maybe?
Asiana (for both) but worried about their service and award flights
Aeroplan (for both) but concerned about changes coming up.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: Velocity, Air NZ, Kris Flyer, Qantas
Air NZ status match now where to credit points

I've been Gold on velocity for a couple of years (but will loose that soon, not flying as much this last year), and got a status match last year with AirNZ gold and finally get to use that in a week (haven't travelled since Sep last year)
Going Melbourne to Chicago return on Air NZ next weekend
I'm trying to figure out whether to put points on AirNZ or Kris flyer
AirNZ - currenlty 0 airpoints 0 status

KrisFlyer - 22,689 elite silver

As far as I can tell, neither will get me enough to retain gold or AirNZ ( need 900 status exp 08/2020) or up to gold on Krisflyer Required: 27,311 by 31 Jul 2020 and not sure what I can do with 327 AirNZ airpoints
Journey leg Airpoints Status points
Melbourne to Chicago O'Hare 176.00 205.00
Chicago O'Hare to Melbourne 151.00 178.00
Total bonus 0.00 0.00

Am I best to accumulate the points with Krisflyer? Can I still use the AirNZ gold status to get in the lounge if I put the points on Krisflyer? I still have the AirNZ gold card and boarding pass for an AirNZ flight right?

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) - MEL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Premium Econ
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 20-40K or more 2+ round trips to Chicago per year
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) Velocity Gold, Air NZ gold, Krisflyer silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access and priority service for business travel, good award redemption for family
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) Mel to USA
(7) Preferred Airlines - no preference unless I can get direct mel to AKL - ORD with Air NZ (avoid LAX)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? choose ticket myself, but need to be budget conscious, can't justify extra $1K for freq flyer, but can for time savings etc
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus
New to *A

(1) What is your home airport? ZRH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k in SQ C business (plus some 10k low fare class economy)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? OW Sapphire, switching to *A
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Easy redemptions, priority services, lounge access, ...
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Transatlantic (for redemptions)
(7) Preferred Airlines LX, LH

Considering KrisFlyer, Asiana (both for potential *A Gold) or M&M (for lounge access as Frequent Traveler).

Last edited by ben84; Feb 28, 2020 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bec Bartel Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Bec Bartel
I've been Gold on velocity for a couple of years (but will loose that soon, not flying as much this last year), and got a status match last year with AirNZ gold and finally get to use that in a week (haven't travelled since Sep last year)
Going Melbourne to Chicago return on Air NZ next weekend
I'm trying to figure out whether to put points on AirNZ or Kris flyer
AirNZ - currently 0 airpoints 0 status

KrisFlyer - 22,689 elite silver

As far as I can tell, neither will get me enough to retain gold or AirNZ ( need 900 status exp 08/2020) or up to gold on Krisflyer Required: 27,311 by 31 Jul 2020 and not sure what I can do with 327 AirNZ airpoints
Journey leg Airpoints Status points
Melbourne to Chicago O'Hare 176.00 205.00
Chicago O'Hare to Melbourne 151.00 178.00
Total bonus 0.00 0.00

Am I best to accumulate the points with Krisflyer? Can I still use the AirNZ gold status to get in the lounge if I put the points on Krisflyer? I still have the AirNZ gold card and boarding pass for an AirNZ flight right?
<snip>
Air NZ ffp is as bad as any ffp can get and then some. Unless you fly Air NZ a lot (=always) stay away from the Air NZ ffp. You may/will be disappointed with SP earn on Air NZ. Look at posts 13, 14 & 19 in this thread--> SP on connecting flights
327 NZ air points = $327 = a flight Aust to NZ. Unlikely to be enough airpoints for a return trip (is your calculation correct?)

Anyway having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the short to medium term. Now ffp’s are not for the long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)

KrisFlyer points have a hard expiry: use them or loose them

QF will fly BNE-ORD from 20 April 2020

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 28, 2020 at 10:46 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: Velocity, Air NZ, Kris Flyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Bec Bartel Welcome to FT

Air NZ ffp is as bad as any ffp can get and then some. Unless you fly Air NZ a lot (=always) stay away from the Air NZ ffp. You may/will be disappointed with SP earn on Air NZ. Look at posts 13, 14 & 19 in this thread-->
327 NZ air points = $327 = a flight Aust to NZ. Unlikely to be enough airpoints for a return trip (is your calculation correct?)

Anyway having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the short to medium term. Now ffp’s are not for the long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)

KrisFlyer points have a hard expiry: use them or loose them

QF will fly BNE-ORD from 20 April 2020
Thanks for your insights Mwenenzi, I've had the Krisflyer as my Star allianz ffp, as I can transfer back to velocity as needed to be able to use them up with my other points, I think my main question was whether it was better to move to AirNZ since I had the gold status and try and get higher on that, but based on your comment on airNZ, the links and what I've read it doesn't sound like it would be worth it for me.
Interesting the status points are from start to finish, not all the segments, that'll make a big (negative) difference for me.
Good to know on qantas, they're my Oneworld FFP, but always seem to be much more expensive recently, but it always goes in waves

I guess for now I can milk my "free" gold status card for the lounge access on this trip, credit points to Kris flyer and hope that I get another trip before my review dates that I can credit to kris flyer and maybe make gold on that... or back to perpetual silver for me
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bec Bartel
Thanks for your insights Mwenenzi, I've had the Krisflyer as my Star alliance ffp, as I can transfer back to Velocity as needed to be able to use them up with my other points, I think my main question was whether it was better to move to Air NZ since I had the gold status and try and get higher on that, but based on your comment on Air NZ, the links and what I've read it doesn't sound like it would be worth it for me.
Interesting the status points are from start to finish, not all the segments, that'll make a big (negative) difference for me.
Good to know on Qantas, they're my Oneworld FFP, but always seem to be much more expensive recently, but it always goes in waves

I guess for now I can milk my "free" gold status card for the lounge access on this trip, credit points to Krisflyer and hope that I get another trip before my review dates that I can credit to kris flyer and maybe make gold on that... or back to perpetual silver for me
Air NZ ffp is a revenue based. To me not worth trying to get NZ status
Can any VA flights be used for status earning to Krisflyer instead of crediting to Velocity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.