Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jtet
Wiki Link
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 20, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What is wrong with DL / Skyteam ? Or Aeroplan ffp? [The airline and frequent flyer program are not one and the same]
On Skyteam AF/KLM, DL and others in Star Alliance will get you to EU. Get anywhere closish to Italy and then a train or other airline. EU is small compared to Canada & Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toront...tional_Airport

With only a few flights per year you will not earn many ff miles with any ffp. Can you get some ff miles from cc spend?
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the FFPs mentioned. Just trying to figure out how best to get status with one of them. (I've posted on a Velocity thread also and might have an answer pending a question about DL and VA code-share)
Also the trip to EU with Mom includes a cruise and a large and small suitcase for each of us. Preference would be to fly into FCO directly rather than another city and then train to FCO.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcpa View Post
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the FFPs mentioned. Just trying to figure out how best to get status with one of them. (I've posted on a Velocity thread also and might have an answer pending a question about DL and VA code-share)
Also the trip to EU with Mom includes a cruise and a large and small suitcase for each of us. Preference would be to fly into FCO directly rather than another city and then train to FCO.
As on the VA thread, what do you expect from status?

Status only applies on the airline of your ffp and any alliance (OW Star Skyteam) partners. With frequent flyer partners outside of the 3 major alliances, status can have varying degrees of benefits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonar...micino_Airport

Chasing and changing ffp's can lead to disappointment
The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Feb 16, 20, 9:19 am

Hello, new friends.

I am moving from DEN to SIN. I travel approximately 16 segments/year on business as an individual, and approximately 8 segments/year with my wife and kid, who otherwise do not travel. Including business travel, we buy the cheapest available tickets. The (only) priority is reducing the cost of and improving the family travel experience. Virtually all segments will be on United, Singapore, and in rare cases Scoot/Silk.

If I were to accrue all United this year, I would likely end up *close* to the PQP requirement for the lowest level despite flying about 35k miles.

(1) What is your home airport? SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25-50k, >50k) 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) No. I could attain MP Silver this year, currently have ~700 PQP and 6 segments.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Economy earning and redemptions, lounge access beyond what is available through Priority Pass Select.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Domestic US for a few more months, then SE Asia.
(7) Preferred Airlines - None.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work as individual, pleasure as family.

What do you think? My hunch is that I should chase status on whoever permits earning on discount economy tickets at 100% of flight miles, but I don't know who that would be.

Last edited by DEN_to_SIN; Feb 16, 20 at 9:20 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 17, 20, 5:22 am

Greetings to all,

Lurker but decided something must change if I am ever to reach status, hence the post
Been with Lufthansa Miles&More for a couple of years trying to reach FT with segments flown(35) but always come up short in that regard. Since the company books me in Economy status via miles is not really feasible.

The plan for this year is to try the Ethiopian Airlines way(20 segments/silver, 40/gold) but i thought to axe the veterans here if there are there any alternatives?

Thank You

1) What is your home airport? PUY(Pula, Croatia)

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy(Company buys them), Premium Economy(LH flights for vacations)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) No. Tried with miles&more to reach status with flight segments since most of my flights are SH in Europe but never managed to.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge Access, would be nice to get some upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Within EU for business, one or two flights yearly to Asia for vacation
(7) Preferred Airlines - Not really, generally the company books me on CA(Croatia Airlines) or Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work as individual, pleasure as a couple.
Old Feb 17, 20, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by DEN_to_SIN View Post
Hello, new friends.

I am moving from DEN to SIN. I travel approximately 16 segments/year on business as an individual, and approximately 8 segments/year with my wife and kid, who otherwise do not travel. Including business travel, we buy the cheapest available tickets. The (only) priority is reducing the cost of and improving the family travel experience. Virtually all segments will be on United, Singapore, and in rare cases Scoot/Silk.

If I were to accrue all United this year, I would likely end up *close* to the PQP requirement for the lowest level despite flying about 35k miles.

(1) What is your home airport? SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount economy
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) No. I could attain MP Silver this year, currently have ~700 PQP and 6 segments.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Economy earning and redemptions, lounge access beyond what is available through Priority Pass Select.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Domestic US for a few more months, then SE Asia.
(7) Preferred Airlines - None.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work as individual, pleasure as family.

What do you think? My hunch is that I should chase status on whoever permits earning on discount economy tickets at 100% of flight miles, but I don't know who that would be.
Basically no one in Star Alliance really credits discount economy at 100% anymore, or none that I can think of offhand. UA used to on their own flights and PQMs on JV partners, but now with the PQP thing, that's gone. United and Star Alliance Silver is more or less worthless as well. I wouldn't really pursue UA status unless you can get to Gold. You might go for Asiana for easier Star Gold, but earnings aren't great for discount economy. However you only need 40k qualifying miles over 2 years.

The one and only benefit I can think of for going for UA Silver instead is access to Economy Plus seating, however as Silver you can only get it 24 hours in advance, so on busy flights it may not be a benefit at all.
Old Feb 18, 20, 1:15 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Basically no one in Star Alliance really credits discount economy at 100% anymore, or none that I can think of offhand. UA used to on their own flights and PQMs on JV partners, but now with the PQP thing, that's gone. United and Star Alliance Silver is more or less worthless as well. I wouldn't really pursue UA status unless you can get to Gold. You might go for Asiana for easier Star Gold, but earnings aren't great for discount economy. However you only need 40k qualifying miles over 2 years.

The one and only benefit I can think of for going for UA Silver instead is access to Economy Plus seating, however as Silver you can only get it 24 hours in advance, so on busy flights it may not be a benefit at all.
The only 100% crediting I can think of is all fareclasses on SK earn 100% or better to Krisflyer, which may not actually be a bad idea if flying ex-SIN. ARN-SIN is 12000mi, so fly that 3-4 times a year and that's a solid lock on SQ *G (or go ex-USA for possibly cheaper?)

E+ at T-24 is actually pretty good still. You might get stuck in a middle seat, but usually there's *something* at check-in.
Old Feb 18, 20, 4:37 am

OK, my turn:

I'm a UA *G based at BRU. I do a few TATL a year, currently on UA but can easily move those to AC, SN or (maybe) LH. Otherwise I do a fair bit of intra-Europe flying, mostly on the LH-group airlines, and an occasional trip to the Middle East on MS or TK. Through 2019, I got 100% PQM on a lot of those flights, but now that the PQP are based on the RDM, I'm getting 25% "PQM" for most of them and I'll be lucky to make *S this year.

I used to make sure to stay at least *S on UA for the free E+ seats, but a policy change at work means I can be reimbursed for them on my TATLs now. I'm on few enough US domestic flights that I wouldn't miss it too much there. (And re: the post above mine, when I was a US-based Silver, I rarely got the exit rows but I was always able to get an E+ window by checking in at T-24. It was definitely worth it.)

So what's the easiest way to keep *G? Move to A3 or TK? AC? Something I didn't think of?

(1) What is your home airport? BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy (mid-high tier TATL, intra-Europe varies)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 45-60k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA *G
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge Access; free bags are a plus
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - BRU-East Coast US and intra-Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines - UA has the contract for BRU-U.S. (but can use AC, SN, LH codeshares), intra-Europe usually SN, LH or OS, plus some MS or TK to the Middle East.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, but mostly work travel on *A
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post

I was UA *S in 2018 and it was already brutal back then finding E+ seating that wasn't a middle seat at check-in. I think I scored about 3 E+ non-middle seats that year so I decided to consolidate and push for UA *G. But not this year, going back to Delta.
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:20 am

Thank you kindly for the feedback. Seems pretty tough for me to achieve and maintain any kind of status on discount economy. I'll just stick with UA for now and see if my flight patterns change.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: