Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jtet
Wiki Link
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 7, 20, 1:28 pm

Programs: Velocity, Air NZ, Kris Flyer, Qantas
Well I had to put air NZ ff on the boarding pass to get into the lounge as they scan the boarding pass as the card wasn't enough... hopefully a quick call after flying can transfer to kris flyer...
velocity flights are much more exp attitude last few trips, so would need to make a call then, but good idea on putting then all to krisflyer for status across all flights
Old Mar 7, 20, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bec Bartel View Post
Well I had to put air NZ ff on the boarding pass to get into the lounge as they scan the boarding pass as the card wasn't enough... hopefully a quick call after flying can transfer to kris flyer...
velocity flights are much more exp attitude last few trips, so would need to make a call then, but good idea on putting then all to krisflyer for status across all flights
Do not like your chances of getting NZ to uncredit then Krisflyer to credit, with a NZ ff number on the boarding pass
Old Mar 7, 20, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bec Bartel View Post
Once the flight is flown you'll very likely be stuck with whatever was on the boarding pass. Whether NZ will do this or not, there actually is a way to have both in the PNR. FQTV is where you're going to credit your miles. FQTS is for status. Try to get the check in agent to put your NZ number in FFTS and your SQ number in FFTV and see if that helps. Short of that, you need to change it after leaving the lounge before you get on the plane. I know in OneWorld I have heard many anecdotal stories of the airlines not allowing both numbers, basically making you choose to use your status or not, but Star Alliance carriers seem to be more flexible. I remember one time back in the day when AB was handing out status matches like candy, I had one flight on AA domestic. I put AB in the reservation for lounge access, then as I was walking out of the lounge, had the lounge agent change it to my BA number and reprint the boarding pass for me. I was flying F so didn't care about priority boarding.

Something you may want to look into once the COVID19 stuff clears up is flying CX since you're allowed to fly premium economy. Premium Economy credits quite well to AA. 2x round trips to ORD via HKG in Premium Economy would solidly earn you AA Platinum (OneWorld Sapphire) and put you well under 1,000 elite qualifying miles to earning Platinum Pro (still OW Sapphire, but a few more benefits). Even flying the new QF flight MEL-ORD direct would get you to AA Platinum. Something to consider for 2021 as sounds like you've already booked this one on Star Alliance and you'd need both trips to make it happen.
Old May 10, 20, 10:33 pm

Programs: United 1k
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) - syo/sdj but tyo(nrt,hnd) also fine
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 100k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) ua 1k million miller
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access good award redemption for family
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) syo/sdj or tyo to pvg 1-2 a month (obv on hold currently) also sdj/tyo to usa 4-5times a yr.
(7) Preferred Airlines -currently star alliance ..open to change.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? work choose ticket myself, but need to be budget conscious, award trips family for pleasure

hi all,due to all the recent awful changes at united-looking to make a change and wondering what might be best-based in japan ..
Old May 18, 20, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) - syo/sdj but tyo(nrt,hnd) also fine
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 100k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) ua 1k million miller
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access good award redemption for family
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) syo/sdj or tyo to pvg 1-2 a month (obv on hold currently) also sdj/tyo to usa 4-5times a yr.
(7) Preferred Airlines -currently star alliance ..open to change.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? work choose ticket myself, but need to be budget conscious, award trips family for pleasure

hi all,due to all the recent awful changes at united-looking to make a change and wondering what might be best-based in japan ..
As you're a Million Miler at UA, the best option would be to stick with United MileagePlus. Although their redemptions devalued a lot in the past few years and you don't have lounge access on UA Domestic flights, it would be a bit painful to build *G status from the beginning.

If you decide to switch to another FFP, be aware that most *A carriers do not allow, cross-benefiting ( benefiting from multiple FFPs at the same time ) so be aware that you might not have your UA*G benefits ( including extra baggage, lounge access, upgrade list on UA domestic, etc... ) when crediting to another FFP ( either no status or *S ).

Also, IMO, if not urgent, waiting a little bit could be a great option as other partners might also devalue their redemptions.
Old May 18, 20, 1:05 am
wcc

Hi!
(1) What is your home airport?
TPE/HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? P fare (UA NH)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 60K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA GGL
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good earn/burn rate on N. America - Asia route, Gifted status, Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often TPAC TPE-SFO/TYO-LAX/EWR
(7) Preferred Airlines UA seems to be the cheapest J usually
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work/Family

Hi all, I am an OW guy... for *A, I have been jumping between OZ and UA and TK here and there with the crediting...but I think I want to consolidate and focus on one FF in the future....typically I would fly between Taiwan and US about 3-4 times a year in J. While the status is less of my goal, it is always good to have, especially traveling with partner/family. I have been torn between AC's aeroplan and UA. Normally the fare between US and Taiwan has been UA/NH being the cheapest and the timing works well for me.

1) I don't know if I would spend extra $500 dollars on AC metal to meet the AQD requirement...But AC has a generous UA P fare 150% crediting miles and the redemption rate for N.America - Asia is much easier vs. UA
2) UA has been my first FF back in the days, so definitely some nostalgic value in that (only a low 200k in lifetime miles). UA has 150% on NH P fare...so that is somewhat good, but the difference between earn/burn rate with AC is still a bit low. And recently devaluation and constant negative changes with MP is making me hesitant about jumping back onto UA.
3) OZ is also another okay one. But it only values 70% with NH P fare which might be a danger for me. It doesn't have that much of upgrade system...so yea...
4) I have experience TK award redemption process. Let's say it's not good.

Maybe I am too deep into the comparison and missing out the obvious. Please help! haha. Thanks again for you amazing peeps.
Old May 18, 20, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Hi!
(1) What is your home airport?
TPE/HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? P fare (UA NH)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 60K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA GGL
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good earn/burn rate on N. America - Asia route, Gifted status, Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often TPAC TPE-SFO/TYO-LAX/EWR
(7) Preferred Airlines UA seems to be the cheapest J usually
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work/Family

Hi all, I am an OW guy... for *A, I have been jumping between OZ and UA and TK here and there with the crediting...but I think I want to consolidate and focus on one FF in the future....typically I would fly between Taiwan and US about 3-4 times a year in J. While the status is less of my goal, it is always good to have, especially traveling with partner/family. I have been torn between AC's aeroplan and UA. Normally the fare between US and Taiwan has been UA/NH being the cheapest and the timing works well for me.

1) I don't know if I would spend extra $500 dollars on AC metal to meet the AQD requirement...But AC has a generous UA P fare 150% crediting miles and the redemption rate for N.America - Asia is much easier vs. UA
2) UA has been my first FF back in the days, so definitely some nostalgic value in that (only a low 200k in lifetime miles). UA has 150% on NH P fare...so that is somewhat good, but the difference between earn/burn rate with AC is still a bit low. And recently devaluation and constant negative changes with MP is making me hesitant about jumping back onto UA.
3) OZ is also another okay one. But it only values 70% with NH P fare which might be a danger for me. It doesn't have that much of upgrade system...so yea...
4) I have experience TK award redemption process. Let's say it's not good.

Maybe I am too deep into the comparison and missing out the obvious. Please help! haha. Thanks again for you amazing peeps.
First, if you care about upgrades on transpacific flights, please note that United upgrades their own elites ( including MileagePlus Silver ) before passing to other Star Alliance Gold members in case of an op-up situation. If I'm not wrong ANA has the regular *A upgrade process ( NH*G -> Other *G -> NH*S -> Other *S ). This would be the only advantage of United MileagePlus compared to other carriers; however, it's harder to achieve status on UA.

Also, be aware that when flying with your family ( presumably 3+ people ) it's harder to get an op-up regardless of the FFP and the operating airline as they prioritize solo travelers.

If you're flying NH often, you might try NH Mileage Club as the threshold for *G is 50000 miles ( minimum 25000 miles on ANA Group ). However UA P fare credits 70% of the flown amount to NH Mileage Club.

Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles is easy to achieve status and it's much more easier to maintain status; however, as you mentioned the redemption process is not customer friendly as other programs. Also UA P earns 100% and NH P earns 70% so it wouldn't be the best option.

Asiana is also easy to get status and the best perk of it is that it offers lifetime status. However, similar to TK Miles&Smiles UA P earns 100% and NH P earns 70%.

Air Canada could be reasonable if you decide to fly one time on AC. If I'm not wrong they often have $400-$500 transpacific fares so the $500 requirement is not hard to achieve. However, you would need to do this every year, not only once.

You haven't mentioned it but TAP Miles&Go is also a program that you should consider. UA P gives 200% and NH P gives 150% and it's 50000 miles to maintain, 70000 miles to achieve *G.
3 round-trip UA flights P class from Hong Kong to West Coast USA would lead you to *G and 2 would be enough to maintain *G the following years. The redemption availability is similar to most *A carriers and it has more award availability on TAP.

If you have further questions don't hestitate to ask.
wcc likes this.
Old May 18, 20, 5:18 pm
wcc

Gah! Thank you so much for the insight! Definitely helped with my decision making in putting more attention to the final 2 programs. (Now that we have bunch of time on the ground! haha.)

As you mentioned above, I think I would be in a niche market where UA's MP might work okay for me, but again their threshold is too high for me with just couple J trips between the Pacific (with the regular 10k PQP). Though you did have a point on them taking care of their own elites. Interesting options for Miles&Go. With your advice, I spent some time looking into Miles&Go. While the earning rates for P fares from NH and UA are amazing, their redemption rate was off the chart bad. I did a dummy booking for TPE-JFK -> they want 230k one-way in Y. Not sure if I did it correctly on that...

I think every program has is give and take, and right now I am looking the comparison between UA and AC's mid/upper tier comparison. I doubt I would reach to SE/1K, but I hope with the right routing I could get to to 50k/75k vs. UA Gold/Plat. I notice the AC AQD issue is not as sever as it seems for me, since foreigners got 50% off. It's just in the end if AC J and its service is worth for the re-routing to Canada, and the AC J is more comfy than UA Polaris?

Again! Thank you so much!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: