Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Tauri
(1) What is your home airport? BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y, J for long-haul (5 hours+)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Eurobonus (SK) silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Free lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often BRU-Stockholm (ARN/BMA), Lots within various EU, lots of transfer through FRA, one round trip to Australia (Sydney) per year (J)
(7) Preferred Airlines Lufthansa group, THA/SQ to Australia, (not SK)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 50-50 split, can in theory choose but most routes to small EU states aren't served by too many options

Switching from SK because there is no chance it isn't bankrupt in the next 5 years, and just moved
I'd check out TK, SQ, and TG memberships. TK has super easy *gold qualification/maintenance with your regular mileage and if you can fly 80k in one year, your annual average would allow you to sustain being Elite+, tk's highest status tier. Obviously, sq has pps which might be a viable thing for you. TG's highest tier is also solely based on premium travel iirc and could work for you.

It also depends on whose metal you'd like easier access to during award redemption.

Last edited by TPACjv; Aug 14, 2022 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by TPACjv
Sounds like you might be a match for UA. Also if you have a UA branded credit card your rdm won't ever expire.
UA miles stopped expiring a few years ago so no need for a UA credit card.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: TP Gold, AF/FB Platinum
Hey guys, hope you can recommend me a good replacement for TP Miles and Go, as it's not possible to book Business with Emirates from them anymore, TP rewards are priced twice as much now, and partner availability is generally low. I'm looking at TK, but not sure if their award availability is any good. Not sure if I should take a look at SQ?

(1) What is your home airport? LIS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Mostly business/C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? more than 50K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? TP Miles and Go Gold, AF/FB Platinum
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award flights in C and F
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Transatlantic/Transcontinental (GRU, BKK)
(7) Preferred Airlines EK, TK, AF
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) I can choose airlines/class
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by PabloID
TP rewards are priced twice as much now, and partner availability is generally low.
Its a general trend in this industry

Originally Posted by PabloID
I'm looking at TK, but not sure if their award availability is any good. Not sure if I should take a look at SQ?
About SQ , it used to be one of the best FFP but since few years it went downhill

Not sure if TK took same direction , but you can go to TK forum and ask
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:55 am

(1) What is your home airport? BCN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? J
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Guessing 40k-50k? 2-4 BCN-SFO round trips on Business and maybe a few regional.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None atm
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? priority services then award redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often BCN to SFO, typically with stopover in FRA or IAD
(7) Preferred Airlines United and Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Primarily work, I have some influence on the airline pick.

I have to fly BCN-SFO 2-4 times a year for work and am looking for what FF program that would make the most sense. It'll mostly be operated by United or Lufthansa, but I can't always pick who the ticket is through. I already have a return trip booked (BCN-IAD-SFO->SFO-FRA-BCN) and it's operated by United on all but FRA-BCN but on Lufthansa ticket.
Besides the work trips, I'll fly locally in Europe for vacations, but typically not with Star Alliance, and perhaps once every few years to US where awards flights would be handy.
I do have a SAS Eurobonus account and a Eurobonus Mastercard, but it's rarely used and I have no status there.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
(1) What is your home airport? YVR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~25k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA Silver (via Marriott Titanium), and two SQS away from AC 25K
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often YVR-SFO/SJC
(7) Preferred Airlines AC, UA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work

I've been earning on AC because I live in Canada and have an Aeroplan credit card. Most of my flights are YVR-SFO for work, with the occasional trip within Canada for pleasure. When I compare Aeroplan and MileagePlus, it seems like it's much easier to earn status on UA? For instance, to get to a tier with *A Gold, I'd need to fly 50,000 miles or 50 segments to get AC 50K, but only 16 segments to get UA Premier Gold. Am I missing something here, or is UA the far better option? The only downside I can think of is that they don't have a Canadian credit card.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by tuquee
When I compare Aeroplan and MileagePlus, it seems like it's much easier to earn status on UA? For instance, to get to a tier with *A Gold, I'd need to fly 50,000 miles or 50 segments to get AC 50K, but only 16 segments to get UA Premier Gold.
Earning status with UA is relatively straightforwards if you can meet the PQP (spend) requirements, e.g. $6000 spend for UA gold in addition to 16 segments. Of course, there is some optimization to be done with partner PQPs, but a lot of those sweet spots have disappeared. Especially if you are traveling on other people's money, then UA may make sense for you.
tuquee likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by briandk
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? priority services then award redemption
What do you mean by priority services? Stuff like free checked bags, priority check in areas?

For awards, where do you want to redeem awards to? Airlines will always have the best availability for their own awards, so if you're looking for intra-Europe awards, then LH will have better award availability than UA will.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:13 pm

Hi everyone. About to move from Houston to Riyadh. Will be flying me and my wife and three kids (5 total) back and forth between IAH and RUH via business class twice per year so I'm going to rack up some serious miles and spending. Trying to figure out which airline we should do that with. I've done it once with emirates, and the 777 business class wasn't as great as I've heard some other airlines, like Qatar Airways. Will take some US domestic flights when home in summer and some international flights for pleasure from Riyadh during the year. Looking for advice. I know that Qatar Airways has a nice international flight, but their alliance doesn't really line up with living in Houston where there's lots of Star Alliance activity. Maybe makes more sense to be United, Lufthansa, Turkish? I also have emirates status. Thanks for any insight.

(1) What is your home airport? IAH, RUH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Mostly business for US to KSA, economy for domestic
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? more than 50K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Emirates Gold at the moment is all
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Dunno, I'm new to this. Probably upgrades and award availability?
(6) Which routes do you fly most often IAH-RUH and RUH-IAH, IAH-DEN, IAH-MCO, IAH-LON, IAH-CDG
(7) Preferred Airlines United, Emirates, would like to try out the Qatar Airlines long-haul product. Am willing to try Turkish or Lufthansa.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) I can choose airlines/class
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by tnsl6212
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Dunno, I'm new to this. Probably upgrades and award availability?
(6) Which routes do you fly most often IAH-RUH and RUH-IAH, IAH-DEN, IAH-MCO, IAH-LON, IAH-CDG
(7) Preferred Airlines United, Emirates, would like to try out the Qatar Airlines long-haul product. Am willing to try Turkish or Lufthansa.
UA on IAH-RUH is going to be UA/LH from IAH to FRA and then LH onwards, as your primary one stop option on UA. Turkish with IAH-IST-RUH is another possible one stop. Do note that LH and TK still primarily feature business class seating where not all the seats have direct aisle access. TK does have 1-2-1 seating on the 787s and A350s, but the 777s are in a 2-3-2 config, while LH has most of its widebody fleet in a 2-2-2 config, with 2-2 on the upper deck of the 747. LH's new 787s are supposed to feature a 1-2-1 seating config, but that hasn't been revealed yet.

For awards, where do you want to travel with your awards? Airlines have the best availability for their own award flights, so if you say pick UA, then you would have good (not necessarily cheap) availability on your IAH flights, but FRA-RUH would be subject to Lufthansa releasing partner award space to UA, and vice versa if you picked LH, then you would need UA to release partner award space on those IAH-XXX flights.

For upgrades, be aware that complimentary upgrades is mostly a US thing and not so common else where.

You mentioned Qatar, do note that Qatar uses Avios now, so you can transfer avios between Qatar, BA, and Iberia.

You mention that you didn't like Emirates business class -- why? Was it the seating config? What do you value in business class?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar
UA on IAH-RUH is going to be UA/LH from IAH to FRA and then LH onwards, as your primary one stop option on UA. Turkish with IAH-IST-RUH is another possible one stop. Do note that LH and TK still primarily feature business class seating where not all the seats have direct aisle access. TK does have 1-2-1 seating on the 787s and A350s, but the 777s are in a 2-3-2 config, while LH has most of its widebody fleet in a 2-2-2 config, with 2-2 on the upper deck of the 747. LH's new 787s are supposed to feature a 1-2-1 seating config, but that hasn't been revealed yet.

For awards, where do you want to travel with your awards? Airlines have the best availability for their own award flights, so if you say pick UA, then you would have good (not necessarily cheap) availability on your IAH flights, but FRA-RUH would be subject to Lufthansa releasing partner award space to UA, and vice versa if you picked LH, then you would need UA to release partner award space on those IAH-XXX flights.

For upgrades, be aware that complimentary upgrades is mostly a US thing and not so common else where.

You mentioned Qatar, do note that Qatar uses Avios now, so you can transfer avios between Qatar, BA, and Iberia.

You mention that you didn't like Emirates business class -- why? Was it the seating config? What do you value in business class?

Thanks for the reply.

The Houston-Dubai leg of the Emirates flight on their 777-200 was not comfortable. Service was good, but the seats didn't lie flat and I couldn't sleep well. The Dubai-Houston route was great, though. Granted, that flight was me and my wife, but most of our future flights will be with little kids so who knows how much sleep I'll get anyways...

All of our IAH-RUH will be paid with cash, so I'll use those points earned for upgrades and pleasure trips to Europe and destinations accessible from the Middle East. Sounds like it might be a good bet to fly Lufthansa but earn United Miles? I've never done this before, can anyone point me to a good resource on how to do this? Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by tnsl6212
Thanks for the reply.

The Houston-Dubai leg of the Emirates flight on their 777-200 was not comfortable. Service was good, but the seats didn't lie flat and I couldn't sleep well. The Dubai-Houston route was great, though. Granted, that flight was me and my wife, but most of our future flights will be with little kids so who knows how much sleep I'll get anyways...

All of our IAH-RUH will be paid with cash, so I'll use those points earned for upgrades and pleasure trips to Europe and destinations accessible from the Middle East. Sounds like it might be a good bet to fly Lufthansa but earn United Miles? I've never done this before, can anyone point me to a good resource on how to do this? Thanks!
You may be interested to hear that UA and Emirates are launching a codeshare agreement. Some discussion here: Report: United and Emirates to Form Codeshare Agreement. Depending on the details of this, if fly Emirates, you may be able to bank those miles with UA, which could be a good option, but likely won't be. This may also mean that UA gets access to Emirates award space, but there are no details yet.

If you're flying Turkish on IST-RUH, those segments will be in narrowbodies and will not feature lie flat seats, and that is a 4 hour segment. LH seems to run widebodies on FRA-RUH.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by tangfish
I . Because OZ is about to become SkyTeam, which I already have plat on with DL, it has become a dead end for me. So, who should I start anew with?

Did I miss something? Where did you get that information?
Myself I was a TK Gold but seem to loose my Gold level next month (+85,000 miles) and I was looking at Asiana to start over again having about 35,000 miles of flight already for 2023 planned.
If they really switch, what other *A airline is interesting in Asia (where I am based)?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
OZ is in process of being aquired by KE, so it's expected that OZ will be leaving *A sometime after that
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:14 pm

Need to go for a new *A Gold run. reason, was TK but it was always a serious problem booking award flights, etc... especially from where I live. Lost 90k miles and my Gold status (went to Silver). So I want to go for another airline and go for *A Gold. Thinking about Asiana but not sure since those rumours are going on they might leave...

(1) What is your home airport? DPS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? +5 hrs business, below economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? depends 25 to 40k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? down to TK *A Silver (Elite)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Free lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Asian routes, Thailand, japan, India, Taiwan, HK
(7) Preferred Airlines SIA, ANA, TG
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? work 75%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.