Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:23 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
HKG/BKK Based, work and leisure traveller

Also in a similar boat then Tangfish, with OZ, got to around 400k miles and then then news... Have always maintained TG ROP *G also (OZ was a backup) until this year as covid played put to end a decade of it and now needing to source a new *G FFP.

Would appreciate advice on which *G is easiest to acquire and maintain - less concerned about redemption - I am OWE on QR as well (for now) and will work hard to maintain that with CX home base here, hence *A will always be on the back burner unfortunately:

(1) What is your home airport? HKG and BKK
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y mostly for *A flights inter-regional. Some C flights maybe longhaul at most once a year.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 150k-200k approx
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? OZ *G, QR Plat (OWE)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Status, skip the queues, check-in, lounges, boarding and luggage.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often SE Asia inter regional, maybe 2x a year Asia - EU
(7) Preferred Airlines CX, TG, QR
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work,
(9) Can you chooose your airlines, class of service? Not always
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:41 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Eurobonus Gold, Flying Blue Gold
As SAS' departure from *A is now looking imminent, and I'm still expecting a significant share of my travel to be on *A carriers, I need at new *A FF scheme to credit my flights to.

The obvious choice would be LH, but I'm not a big fan of the new changes where you only earn status miles on Lufthansa Group airlines as I'm expecting a significant share of my travel (especially in C) to be on other airlines. TK could be an option, but I'm also worried about the changes, where each leg of an award trip is charged separately - as I would practically always need at least one layover in Europe for any longer trip, I believe this would significantly dilute the value.

(1) What is your home airport?
Copenhagen, CPH

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Intra-Europe Y and inter-contintental (Africa & Asia) C. About an even split.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
At least 25k-50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
SAS Eurobonus Gold

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
#1 priority is ability and ease to retain Star Gold (for fast-track security & lounge access).
Ideally I want a scheme where I can earn status no matter which *A airline I'm flying on (including no requirement that X number of flights per year is on a specific carrier).

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Intra-Europe (primarily London, Amsterdam, Brussels)
Inter-continental (primarily East Africa and India)

(7) Preferred Airlines
Fairly agnostic. Historically a significant share has been LH, LX, TK and ET (in addition to SK). As AI has now started a direct flight CPH-DEL, I could see myself flying more with them also going forward.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Fairly extensively for work. I can choose airlines, subject to there not being a significant price differential. Inter-continental flights are C, intra-Europe is Y.

Last edited by Nander; Feb 19, 2024 at 2:49 am
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:35 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Nander
As SAS' departure from *A is now looking imminent, and I'm still expecting a significant share of my travel to be on *A carriers, I need at new *A FF scheme to credit my flights to.

The obvious choice would be LH, but I'm not a big fan of the new changes where you only earn status miles on Lufthansa Group airlines as I'm expecting a significant share of my travel (especially in C) to be on other airlines. TK could be an option, but I'm also worried about the changes, where each leg of an award trip is charged separately - as I would practically always need at least one layover in Europe for any longer trip, I believe this would significantly dilute the value.
Regarding LH - it's a bit more complex than what you described. Flying other *A carriers do earn status points, but you do need a minimum threshold of flights on LH Group aircraft for status - that much is correct. As for TK - let's not forget that their IT and logistics are a nightmare to have to deal with.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ofj
Regarding LH - it's a bit more complex than what you described. Flying other *A carriers do earn status points, but you do need a minimum threshold of flights on LH Group aircraft for status - that much is correct. As for TK - let's not forget that their IT and logistics are a nightmare to have to deal with.
Looking at the LH changes a bit closer, you're right. Whose brilliant idea was it to have a type of points called Qualifying Points, but not make it the only points needed to... you know qualify. Why not just have one type of points and say "at least 50% needs to be on Lufthansa Group flights". Anyway, it's still out for me.

Doing a bit more research, I'm leaning towards SQ KrisFlyer even though I expect to rarely or ever take an SQ flight (at least for work). It seems to have a straightforward miles-based system with no requirement to actually fly SQ and with few or no (?) booking classes on partners ineligible for earning. Any reason that would be a dumb choice?

Last edited by Nander; Feb 19, 2024 at 4:40 pm
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:58 am
ofj

Doing a bit more research, I'm leaning towards SQ KrisFlyer even though I expect to rarely or ever take an SQ flight (at least for work). It seems to have a straightforward miles-based system with no requirement to actually fly SQ and with few or no (?) booking classes on partners ineligible for earning. Any reason that would be a dumb choice?
SQ customer service is pretty good. So are their planes and the amenities. If you're just aiming for *A gold, you can fly on other *A carriers and get SQ elite status. Their miles are quite versatile, too. Be aware though, the 2 highest tiers - Solitaire PPS Club (I think that's the name for one of them) only count SQ flights and only those in J or F to qualify.

In general, as they say, it's best to credit to the program whose airline you fly the most, because all airlines treat their own elites better than another alliance-elite of the same level. However, if that's unfeasible, then definitely shop around.

Last edited by ofj; Feb 20, 2024 at 4:05 am
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Don't SQ miles expire after three years?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by ofj
SQ customer service is pretty good. So are their planes and the amenities. If you're just aiming for *A gold, you can fly on other *A carriers and get SQ elite status. Their miles are quite versatile, too. Be aware though, the 2 highest tiers - Solitaire PPS Club (I think that's the name for one of them) only count SQ flights and only those in J or F to qualify.

In general, as they say, it's best to credit to the program whose airline you fly the most, because all airlines treat their own elites better than another alliance-elite of the same level. However, if that's unfeasible, then definitely shop around.
That all makes sense and sounds pretty good, thank you. The *A airline I will fly the most will probably be Lufthansa, but as I'm still expecting most of my intra-Europe flights to be on SAS and that I will probably shift some long-haul to AF/KL/KQ (as SAS becomes a SkyTeam member), and that some of my *A long-haul will likely be on TK/ET - I don't think I'll be able to meet the qualification requirement of flights on Lufthansa Group. Or at least I don't want to have that restriction.

I don't think I would reach the highest tiers anyway, especially as I would do more SkyTeam flying, so the main goal for *A would be to just make sure I can retain the Star Gold status.

Do you know if SQ status matches? Would of course be nice to not have a gap without Star Gold.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Don't SQ miles expire after three years?
SAS miles expire as well (after 5 years though, I think?), so I am used to that. And it seems like you can extend them for a minor fee. Of course not optimal, but not a dealbreaker for me.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:56 am
ofj

Do you know if SQ status matches? Would of course be nice to not have a gap without Star Gold.
check here: https://statusmatcher.com. I would say - always email and ask; it doesn't cost anything to ask, and the worst they can say is "no."
Nander likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: LH SEN
Usually they don't status match within the alliance. You will likely have to wait until the SAS exit is actually happening as justification for asking for one.
SPN Lifer, Nander and ofj like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
1) What is your home airport? SJU, but I travel internaitonally a lot
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Heavily discounted C, sometimes heavily discounted F
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 200k, but I *also* maintain DL Diamond and AA Exec Platinum, and Star Alliance is my tertiary.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? DL Diamond, AA ExecPlat (OW E), TK ElitePlus (*G), SQ Silver (via match), B6 Mosaic 4, F9 100K,
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounges, minimal hassle, baggage, decent website
(6) Which routes do you fly most often JFK/MIA/YUL to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to USA, MIA/SJU to LatAm
(7) Preferred Airlines JL NH SQ AF QR
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both,
(9) Can you chooose your airlines, class of service? Always (Allowed to fly paid full-fare C/F if I really want to, but I'm cheap)

Basically, trying to decide (since I got an SQ status match for no good reason) if I should try to do KF Gold, and maybe try for PPS (which would be a huge stretch). I like TK because it's low effort to maintain, and I can use it for *G benefits on my (rare) *A flights, plus the upgrades have been nice. I don't love the TK website, though, and I probably fly SQ slightly more than TK now. It isn't clear to me if I can redeem better on one or the other.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta
May have to switch from Delta to BA or Alaska. Frequent work trips to London.

Hello. tl;dr is new job may force me to leave Delta for better SEA to LHR direct times. Work pays for business class fights. Personal travel will likely be more on Alaska. Should I make BA or Alaska my "home" airline?

Details....
I’m based in Seattle (SEA) and travel a fair amount for work, primarily to San Francisco (SFO) and to France (NCE via Paris (CDG) or Amsterdam (AMS)).For the last 5-6 years, I’ve used Delta and am currently Delta 360.It looks like I’m taking a role with a company based in London that will have me making the SEA-LHR flight twice a month.

BA has a Sunday SEA departure direct to LHR that arrives Monday at 7am. This is great for arriving for morning work on Mondays. Unfortunately the Delta and Virgin SEA-LHR flights don’t arrive in London until 9:45am.

I hate to leave Delta and am exploring options to stay but I may have to switch to BA and Oneworld. Having Alaska Airlines on Oneworld makes it attractive for a Seattle resident.

My question is, given that I will be traveling regularly for work on the SEA-LHR route flown by BA but living in Seattle and likely using more points for trips on Alaska Airlines. Which company should I choose as my home airline? Work trips from SEA-LHR will be business class and paid for by work.

Thanks in advance for advice. Apologies if I’ve left relevant information out. Happy to add details. Below is the information requested at the beginning of this thread.

I'm a very frequent flyer but not an expert on the intricacies of these programs so I apologize if something I'm asking is obvious or could have been easily found somewhere else. Any links for additional reading would be appreciated.

(1) What is your home airport?SEA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?on Delta work provide coach for domestic and Delta One for transcontinental or international (which I did 7-9 timers a year)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 150-200K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Delta Diamond / 360
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades, lounge access and points to use for personal travel. Upgrades for personal travel would be great as most work travel will be paid for as international business class in this new situation.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often SEA to LHR
(7) Preferred Airlines – see above. Prefer to stay on Delta but early arriving flight at LHR may force change for new job
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? I travel most for work. Business class.

Last edited by JetCityCajun; Apr 9, 2024 at 1:48 pm
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetCityCajun
Hello. tl;dr is new job may force me to leave Delta for better SEA to LHR direct times. Work pays for business class fights. Personal travel will likely be more on Alaska. Should I make BA or Alaska my "home" airline?

Details....
I’m based in Seattle (SEA) and travel a fair amount for work, primarily to San Francisco (SFO) and to France (NCE via Paris (CDG) or Amsterdam (AMS)).For the last 5-6 years, I’ve used Delta and am currently Delta 360.It looks like I’m taking a role with a company based in London that will have me making the SEA-LHR flight twice a month.

BA has a Sunday SEA departure direct to LHR that arrives Monday at 7am. This is great for arriving for morning work on Mondays. Unfortunately the Delta and Virgin SEA-LHR flights don’t arrive in London until 9:45am.

I hate to leave Delta and am exploring options to stay but I may have to switch to BA and Oneworld. Having Alaska Airlines on Oneworld makes it attractive for a Seattle resident.

My question is, given that I will be traveling regularly for work on the SEA-LHR route flown by BA but living in Seattle and likely using more points for trips on Alaska Airlines. Which company should I choose as my home airline? Work trips from SEA-LHR will be business class and paid for by work.
<snip>.
You have posted in the Star Alliance thread about joining Oneworld airlines
OW master thread --> Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

BA mid-top status would give you lounge access on USA domestic AS & AA flights. The equivalent AS AA status would not.

USA & non USA airlines have very different upgrade policies.
As a guess more chance of USA domsetic upgrades on AA with AS or AA status compared to BA status.
But BA have a close association with AA, including upgrades (check the fine print t&c's).
AS & AA have a close association, including upgrades (check the fine print t&c's).

BA & AA are revenue based ffp's with different rules for flights on other airlines. AS is a distance based ffp.
Avois is used by QR Qatar, BA, IB, IE & now AY. Subject to t&c's avois (but not status) can be moved between some of these ffp's.

BA awards are distance based, on individual flights. For shorter expensive to buy flights can be good value.
AS have recently introduced a new award chart. Look in the AS forum.

Edit
BA forum-->BA Status Match Offer for US/Canada Residents
Check the rules.
With your flying in J USA<--->UK would soon get to top status,

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 9, 2024 at 3:39 pm
Old Apr 9, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
Which Air Alliance in SEA

I live in FL, but I'm 75K in Alaska Mileage Plan...I fly AA quite a bit, prem economy, as I get mileage to MP account. Biz class would be better. I siggest you go on Alasska Air's partnet earning websitee and look how much you'll get when you fly BA biz class...I've rarely, if ever, flown BA, but biz class can't be that bad, I'd guess...You'd probably get rewarss towards your Alaska status and based on your DL360, Aalaska will probably do a status match with no problem. For domestic, Canada and some Latin American destinations, Alaska is topnotch for earning... OneWorld is equivalent, if not better, than SkyTeam or StarAlliance, at least for MIA area and flights. AA goes pretty much everywhere from MIA, except Asia flights go through DFW. SEA is a great jumping off point for Asia, many flights. Good luck!
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Edit
BA forum-->BA Status Match Offer for US/Canada Residents
Check the rules.
With your flying in J USA<--->UK would soon get to top status,
I agree that JetCityCajun should definitely pursue the BAEC status match from Delta. But I'm not sure that he should pursue BAEC Gold rather rather just BAEC Silver. Silver would give him basic lounge access when flying AA or AS, and he could achieve Silver after only 2.5 Business Class roundtrips on BA SEA-LHR. (He could actually achieve it in just 2.0 roundtrips if he were willing to fly a connection -- perhaps via PDX, YVR, or SFO -- on one of his LHR-SEA returns from London.) After achieving BAEC Silver, I would then credit the rest of my BA flights to either AA or AS for better award-redemption options. If upgrades on AA/AS domestic flights are important to him, then achieving status in one of those programs -- in addition to having BAEC Silver for lounge access -- would be important.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite, *A Gold, UA Gold, Priority Pass Select, Hertz PC, Marriott SLV
After COVID I lost all my status and I’d like to know best way to fix for *A

Based on what I read I should use Asiana for quick qualification and I really like the 2 year expire as my travel can be quite varied both in quantity and location. However, it sounds like they will be leaving *A at some point but I have no idea what that would mean.

(1) What is your home airport? PHX

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y - US, Y+ - EU and C - Asia
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? was *A Gold through TK for a long time
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge is top priority, some kind of reasonable flight redemption would be nice.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Mostly US Domestic but expecting several trips to Japan and at least one to EU this year.
(7) Preferred Airlines: UA but I’m open to others
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work hence the split of FC

TIA

- Brian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.