Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Status Match Offer for US/Canada Residents

Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL / GfL

Very interesting British Airways Silver & Gold Status match offer for U.S. and Canadian residents whom are members of a select few airlines highest levels.
I'll be honest some of the matches don't align (Lufthansa HON Circle to Gold is not equivalent) but for an airline that never usually does status matches, it is interesting!

Tier match offer | Executive Club | British Airways

Pilot37
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Also requires buying two business or first class round trip BA-coded tickets and flying them within the next six months to extend the status till the end of the full year. That, along with the fact that they have to originate in USA/Canada/Mexico means that all the good deals ex-EU that need 180 day advance purchase are necessarily excluded.

Wonder what the cheapest pair of tickets that would fulfil these conditions is? I suspect more than $8k outlay
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In case anyone from lh reads it, if they want to match gch and ggl to hon, there might be a few takers!!
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
It's interesting that BA isn't offering status match to Platinum and Gold members of WestJet Rewards. WestJet also operates plenty of Canada-UK flights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Silver to VS silver seems generous, given VS silver doesn't get Clubhouse access and VS will only match its own loungeless Silver to BA Silvers.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Did they forget that DL has Diamond above Platinum? And did they intentionally omit UA GS and DL 360?

I'm surprised they're matching AC 75K to Gold. I would have thought that would go to Silver.

I already have Silver through September 2025. Anyone else concerned by what I hope is just poorly written T&C that say "If you dont meet the required conditions within six months of us awarding you upgraded status, youll be downgraded to the Tier that matches the number of Tier Points youve earned in this period"? What if I only earn 250 TP during this period? Or none? Are they going to actually take away the status I've already earned, which is how that reads, or just downgrade me back to Silver?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I already have Silver through September 2025. Anyone else concerned by what I hope is just poorly written T&C that say "If you don’t meet the required conditions within six months of us awarding you upgraded status, you’ll be downgraded to the Tier that matches the number of Tier Points you’ve earned in this period"? What if I only earn 250 TP during this period? Or none? Are they going to actually take away the status I've already earned, which is how that reads, or just downgrade me back to Silver?
Bronze is 300 TPs, so 250 = Blue, is how I would read that, and how BA usually operates. They may give you Bronze if they are feeling nice towards you and you have a forward booking or two, but it can't be relied upon. As with all of these status matches, acquiring digital plastic is only worthwhile if you are going to travel oneworld inside your membership year.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by salut0
Also requires buying two business or first class round trip BA-coded tickets and flying them within the next six months to extend the status till the end of the full year. That, along with the fact that they have to originate in USA/Canada/Mexico means that all the good deals ex-EU that need 180 day advance purchase are necessarily excluded.

Wonder what the cheapest pair of tickets that would fulfil these conditions is? I suspect more than $8k outlay
I read the t&c's as being two flights - i.e. 1 return transatlantic trip in J/F will do it.

Those can be had for < $3k in J ex USA east coast in fall stacking the Chase/AARP discounts, good deal assuming you'd get til April 2026 out of the match for $3k - about $125/month for 24 months of Oneworld Emerald and access to AA Flagships here in the US.
smitty06 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I read the t&c's as being two flights - i.e. 1 return transatlantic trip in J/F will do it.

Those can be had for < $3k in J ex USA east coast in fall stacking the Chase/AARP discounts, good deal assuming you'd get til April 2026 out of the match for $3k - about $125/month for 24 months of Oneworld Emerald and access to AA Flagships here in the US.
Edited to say: I was going to say Youre right but the bad wording makes me think otherwise. It says both flights you must book and travel on two qualifying transatlantic flights which must originate from the US, Canada or Mexico.

Later under section 5 qualifying flights it defines those as A Qualifying Flight is a published fare or a net fare negotiated by BA for various corporate customers, for a round trip flight in First or Club World (Business Class) in any selling class, with: a prefix of British Airways (BA) and operated by British Airways (BA), American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between North America, Canada, Mexico and Europe, Norway, Switzerland only.

This makes me think two one ways from North America dont count.

Section 6 says inbound and outbound which therefore implies a round trip.

But the question remains whether a round trip flight means the round trip of two flights is considered a single qualifying flight, which would mean youd have to take two round trips, or whether they mean that the fares making up a round trip flight have to be two halves of one ways which are only combinable as a round trip.

Clearly this is messily written.

Wish theyd get someone who can write better to word these promo details unambiguously.

Also: careful with the AARP and Chase discounts. Next point excludes senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying classes; and (iii) bookings made with vouchers. Arguably isnt AARP a senior discount and ChaseBA code is entered in the booking process as a voucher/promo code?

Last edited by salut0; Apr 9, 2024 at 3:49 pm
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC 50K, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sweet, I was looking at BA flights later this year, so this could work out nicely.

Have already submitted for the status match !
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Considering the absolute rogering that BA and AC give to anyone purchasing business class tickets to LHR ex-Canada I'm surprised BA hasn't been more pro active in trying to steal some Canadians from AC. 20 years ago when they were infinitely better than AC they would discretely offer AC elites some amazing offers to switch. They weren't public about it but it also applied to high spending individuals not just corporate.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:42 pm

Status matches seem to be becoming more popular.
Flying blue have had one recently too.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
Anyone know if the extended status (after doing the 2 transatlantic premium class segments) would qualify for the soft landing, so if starting out with Gold, then an additional year of Silver, and yet another year of Bronze after that.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I already have Silver through September 2025. Anyone else concerned by what I hope is just poorly written T&C that say "If you dont meet the required conditions within six months of us awarding you upgraded status, youll be downgraded to the Tier that matches the number of Tier Points youve earned in this period"? What if I only earn 250 TP during this period? Or none? Are they going to actually take away the status I've already earned, which is how that reads, or just downgrade me back to Silver?
Are you sure that it would offer you a status match if you already are a member with status?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:02 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Bronze is 300 TPs, so 250 = Blue, is how I would read that, and how BA usually operates. They may give you Bronze if they are feeling nice towards you and you have a forward booking or two, but it can't be relied upon. As with all of these status matches, acquiring digital plastic is only worthwhile if you are going to travel oneworld inside your membership year.
I think you missed the key point though, which is that I've already earned 700+ TP this year, and have therefore qualified for Silver organically until September 2025. (There was a typo in my earlier post, I meant to say 350 rather than 250 - something that would qualify for Bronze).

But the question is, will BA take away the status I've already earned and just base my 2024-25 status on the TP earned during this match, which is what the status match page says (and could easily be less than Silver), or will they reset me back to the Silver I had already earned? The former is what's right, in my view, and if so, I'll sign up for the match and if I earn Gold, great, and if I don't, no big deal. But given that I may or may not get much value out of the Gold status, I wouldn't want to jeopardize the Silver that I've already banked.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you sure that it would offer you a status match if you already are a member with status?
There's nothing saying that existing BA status holders are barred from this promo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.