SP on connecting flights

Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: OWE
Posts: 2
Question SP on connecting flights

Hi all
Just wanted to run something past those that know more about airpoints than me. I'm new to AirNZ.
Recently flew MEL-AKL-IAH-DEN return with NZ/UA.
Works deluxe (Y) for MEL-AKL, business (J) for the rest.

By my calculations on the airpoints calculator this should have scored me the following status points:
MEL-AKL = 104
AKL-IAH = 304
IAH-DEN = 50.
So on a return trip >900 and therefore Gold. Not the intention of the itinerary but a happy coincidence when I sat down and worked it out.
However, for the outbound portion I've been credited 296 status points as an all in one MEL-IAH route.
Is this normal? I've never had a FF programme that's not credited status points for each individual leg of the itinerary?
Bizarrely, on the inbound I've had the IAH-AKL credit separately as I expected with 304 SP. The AKL-MEL leg hasn't appeared in my account yet (flight was <72 hours ago).

I've spoken to the call centre who said they'd raise it but didn't seem to really know anything.

Can anyone more in the know explain if AirNZ only takes into account origin and destination rather than individual legs for SP?
natter is offline  
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:53 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 20,815
natter Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by natter
Hi all
Just wanted to run something past those that know more about airpoints than me. I'm new to AirNZ.
Recently flew MEL-AKL-IAH-DEN return with NZ/UA.
Works deluxe (Y) for MEL-AKL, business (J) for the rest.

By my calculations on the airpoints calculator this should have scored me the following status points:
MEL-AKL = 104
AKL-IAH = 304
IAH-DEN = 50.
So on a return trip >900 and therefore Gold. Not the intention of the itinerary but a happy coincidence when I sat down and worked it out.
However, for the outbound portion I've been credited 296 status points as an all in one MEL-IAH route.
Is this normal? I've never had a FF programme that's not credited status points for each individual leg of the itinerary?
Bizarrely, on the inbound I've had the IAH-AKL credit separately as I expected with 304 SP. The AKL-MEL leg hasn't appeared in my account yet (flight was <72 hours ago).

I've spoken to the call centre who said they'd raise it but didn't seem to really know anything.

Can anyone more in the know explain if AirNZ only takes into account origin and destination rather than individual legs for SP?
Air NZ credits on the basis of the "trip" start to end, no matter what the route

Air NZ aipoints is a bad as any ffp can be. Only useful if flying a lot (only) on Air NZ and/or if the NZ fare booking class credits 0% to other ffp and/or can get airpoints from non flying sources
Next time credit to UA ffpr or another Star Alliance ffp
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:21 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,986
As pointed out SP earn is journey based . You need to enter MEL-IAH to in the calculator. SP earn would have also been shown during the booking.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:04 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: OWE
Posts: 2
Thanks for that guys. I'd never used airpoints before it just seemed opportune based on the ability to earn gold status in one trip when I was figuring out where to credit. Obviously should have rung the too good to be true alarms. Never mind, lesson learnt!
I booked through a TA so didn't have the earn rates at booking.
natter is offline  
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:11 pm
  #5  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,419
Also, expect your IAH-AKL for the return to be recalculated as IAH-MEL.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 78
Just out of curiosity, what if it's a non NZ ticketed journey, would the same thing apply? Also what would happen if you accrued on a different FFP for one leg, and retroactively claimed a separate leg on Airpoints? I have done something similar before but not on a NZ issued ticket.
prelude is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:59 pm
  #7  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,419
The journey principle applies if crediting consecutive legs involving NZ flights to Airpoints, independent of how ticketed. If credit flights to different FFPs then earning reverts to per flight segment.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: NZ*G
Posts: 42
Kiwi Flyer never mind, I've done some googling.

Last edited by Balancerider; Feb 22, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Balancerider is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:06 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The journey principle applies if crediting consecutive legs involving NZ flights to Airpoints, independent of how ticketed. If credit flights to different FFPs then earning reverts to per flight segment.
On that note, can you split different NZ legs to different FFPs? I once retroactively claimed one leg to NZ, and they gave me the Airpoints for both directions. It worked out for me because I actually lost the boarding pass for one of flights, but I could see someone wanting to accrue one leg one on program and one leg on another.

Maybe I just don't fly enough but some parts of Airpoints is really confusing for the casual flyer.
prelude is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:38 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 20,815
Similar topic in another thread---> Is this ok?
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:07 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,986
Originally Posted by prelude
On that note, can you split different NZ legs to different FFPs? I once retroactively claimed one leg to NZ, and they gave me the Airpoints for both directions. It worked out for me because I actually lost the boarding pass for one of flights, but I could see someone wanting to accrue one leg one on program and one leg on another.

Maybe I just don't fly enough but some parts of Airpoints is really confusing for the casual flyer.
I think you mean Air NZ is confusing for the frequent flyer. 99% of pax are casual who fly Air NZ and belong to Airpoints and that's all that matters. They wouldn't have a clue what a FQTV or FQTS is or even that there are different FPP's than Airpoints that they could credit to. It's only when you start trying to cross credit that things become confusing.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 359
Originally Posted by prelude
On that note, can you split different NZ legs to different FFPs? I once retroactively claimed one leg to NZ, and they gave me the Airpoints for both directions. It worked out for me because I actually lost the boarding pass for one of flights, but I could see someone wanting to accrue one leg one on program and one leg on another.

Maybe I just don't fly enough but some parts of Airpoints is really confusing for the casual flyer.
Slightly unrelated but discussing different FFPs within a trip - Ive got an upcoming trip to Madrid - AKL-LAX-LHR-MAD. While the online booking didnt give me the opportunity to enter a OW FFP for the last leg which is BA and hence not *A the Premium team member was more than happy to enter my QF number for the LHR-MAD segment leaving my NZ FF number earning on all the NZ flights. He couldnt however give me the BA booking reference and this doesnt show on my ticket either but interestingly NZ automatically allocated me seat 2A on my BA flights both directions as that is what I had selected with NZ on NZ flights.
drajknox is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:26 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I think you mean Air NZ is confusing for the frequent flyer. 99% of pax are casual who fly Air NZ and belong to Airpoints and that's all that matters. They wouldn't have a clue what a FQTV or FQTS is or even that there are different FPP's than Airpoints that they could credit to. It's only when you start trying to cross credit that things become confusing.
Fair enough. I guess the only people that might find Airpoints valuable are the ones that fly Air NZ and fly it a lot, and at that point, you don't really have to understand it. Personally, I'm don't fly in premium cabins, but I fly enough in economy on *A that I can get *G on virtually any other mileage based FFP (maybe not M&M or MP), but if I accrued with Air NZ, I would barely get *S. I only bother claiming on AP on TT and domestics, and it's still confusing to me how a TT flight can be worth less a one way domestic.

​​​​​​
prelude is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:34 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,986
Originally Posted by prelude
I only bother claiming on AP on TT and domestics, and it's still confusing to me how a TT flight can be worth less a one way domestic.

​​​​​​
They're not really less. Remember SP earn is exclusive of tax, and that flights between NZ and AU are some of the highest taxed routes in the world.

If you look at say a WLG-SYD for $341 (current sale that I booked) $198 of that is tax and $142 goes to Air NZ. You get 7 SP each way for those flights, and would get 8 SP on a typical $69 main trunk NZ domestic jet service and 4 SP on a $69 regional domestic service (yes I know that's not allowing for NZ domestic tax but that's not factored in the same way - a $89 flight inside NZ will still only give 8 / 4 SP)

Some of the full fare economy and discounted BP fares on TT routes represent some of the best earn rates across the whole network.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:01 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by sbiddle
They're not really less. Remember SP earn is exclusive of tax, and that flights between NZ and AU are some of the highest taxed routes in the world.

If you look at say a WLG-SYD for $341 (current sale that I booked) $198 of that is tax and $142 goes to Air NZ. You get 7 SP each way for those flights, and would get 8 SP on a typical $69 main trunk NZ domestic jet service and 4 SP on a $69 regional domestic service (yes I know that's not allowing for NZ domestic tax but that's not factored in the same way - a $89 flight inside NZ will still only give 8 / 4 SP)

Some of the full fare economy and discounted BP fares on TT routes represent some of the best earn rates across the whole network.
Putting it that way makes more sense now. Would you say that AP is basically a revenue based FFP in disguise?

I guess a reason I get a bit confused is that my TTs are often part of non-NZ ticket that books into something like K or L, which makes it hard to tell how much that segment is 'worth'. Along side the fact that I can rarely take cheap domestics, which means $400 odd for a AKL-WLG return.
prelude is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.