Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello,

I currently have TK silver after being downgraded after a status match. I'm heading to Australia for Christmas and am struggling to get a good deal on OW, but *A is throwing up some good fares. At the moment I'm looking at the routing below in J:
Lufthansa: Milan > Frankfurt > Seoul
Asiana: Seoul > Syndey
ANA: Sydney > Tokyo
Swiss: Tokyo > Zurich > Milan

Where am I best to credit to to get as close as possible to *A Gold?

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y short haul and J when a good deal is on long haul
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) <25k at the moment
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) BA silver - expiring March '20
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) Europe short haul and 1 or 2 long haul which could be anywhere
(7) Preferred Airlines On *A, not bothered
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Just leisure now

Last edited by JMS87; Jun 7, 2019 at 7:32 am
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:11 am

Hi guys, FFP newbie here. I just wanted to get some advice on what the best strategy is for me to acquire (and retain in the future) Star Alliance Gold status.

I currently get Priority Pass lounge access via my Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card, but access to Star Alliance lounges and priority boarding would be a nice perk. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Between 60k-80k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Copa ConnectMiles Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access and priority boarding
(6) Which routes do you fly most often USA to Philippines/Asia, or USA to Colombia
(7) Preferred Airlines Asiana, EVA, Copa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure only
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Hoping that the forum wizards can advise. Short version is that I fly BOS-HKG a lot for work and have been allowed to take the direct Cathay flight in premium economy but they've increased in price a lot in the last couple of months and I may have to start taking the cheaper United flight via Newark.

(1) What is your home airport? BOS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Premium Econ for business, Econ for personal
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 100k-150k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AA Plat Pro
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? useful redemption, baggage benefits
(6) Which routes do you fly most often transpacific for work, transatlantic and domestic for personal
(7) Preferred Airlines normally OneWorld due to status
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? both, for work can choose airline but have to stick to a vague and variable budget. totally flexible for personal

Thank you
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BA AVIOS , Qanats
go for ASIANA Status
potfish likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:00 am

ASIANA Status
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:49 pm

Miles & More OR Aeroplan

Hi,

I am travelling economy from Canada to India (&return). Entire itinerary has Air Canada (domestic part in Canada), Lufthansa (international part) & Air India (domestic part in India) - ticket number starts with 014. Which frequent flyer program should I register with - Miles & More (since major part is in Lufthansa flight) or Air Canada (since I am residing in Canada)?

My future flights will be either similar or with Air Canada.

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by softwaretesting
I am travelling from Canada to India (&return). Entire itinerary has Air Canada (domestic part in Canada), Lufthansa (international part) & Air India (domestic part in India) - ticket number starts with 014. Which frequent flyer program should I register with - Miles & More (since major part is in Lufthansa flight) or Air Canada (since I am residing in Canada)?

My future flights will be either similar or with Air Canada.
As you live in Canada AC would be better than LH
You are better to join the ffp in the county you live or the airline you fly most.
Note some low cost are fares can earn nil or little with any ffp
softwaretesting likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As you live in Canada AC would be better than LH
You are better to join the ffp in the county you live or the airline you fly most.
Note some low cost are fares can earn nil or little with any ffp
The reason I was confused is because I will only get 50% points when flying to India if I use AC, since it is T class. While returning it is H class & will thus get 100%.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:38 am

i think better to go with AC as this will be the airline you are using most and earn rate is about same
softwaretesting likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by softwaretesting
The reason I was confused is because I will only get 50% points when flying to India if I use AC, since it is T class. While returning it is H class & will thus get 100%.
One flight is not a good basis to select a ffp. One trip will not get you many ff miles with any ffp.
Anyway earn is only part of the equation. Burn is the the other. Earn to burn, over the medium term, is what matters. FFP's are now not for the long term.

Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the medium term.

Far easier to get ff miles from non flying activities in the country you live.

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
LH have a 3 hard expiry: use them or loose them
AC can be kept alive with eligible activity

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 5, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BA/UA
(1) What is your home airport? London (all)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy if buying myself, and Business if a company buys my tickets (50/50 in terms of the frequency)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 40K on Star Alliance and 20K Avios on BA's OneWorld
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Free lounge access, frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Really mixed bag! This year:
StarAlliance: Air N Zealand LAX - LHR, Air N Zealand LHR - LAX, LOT WAW - LHR, LOT ODS - WAW, Turkish Air IST - ODS, Turkish Air LHR - IST, Lufthansa FRA - PEK, Lufthansa LHR - FRA OneWorld: SAN FRANCISCO - SEATTLE, NEW YORK-JOHN F KENNEDY - LONDON HEATHROW , LOS ANGELES - NEW YORK-JOHN F KENNEDY , LONDON HEATHROW - LOS ANGELES , MOSCOW - SHEREMETYEVO - LONDON HEATHROW LONDON HEATHROW - MOSCOW - DOMODEDEVO , LONDON CITY AIRPORT - PRAGUE RUZYNE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT , LONDON HEATHROW - HOUSTON GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL , HOUSTON GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL - PHOENIX , FREDERIC CHOPIN - LONDON HEATHROW
(7) Preferred Airlines This one's tricky... had 2x Turkish flights, 2x Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 80% work, can choose airlines to an extent if prices are similar - otherwise, the company chooses the cheapest.

Additional info:
I fly a lot due to work (I work in film), but mainly have flown BA/OneWorld (Silver level there). But this year it has changed and I've actually amassed 28K miles on my United account (which was my airline of choice to collect the Star Alliance miles). I genuinely don't know why I went with United while I don't even fly that much to US, and definitely, don't fly much internally US. So... I ran into an issue where I have 28K of miles (giving me silver level), but no silver level - as I have zero United flights (and need 4).

My question is - what would you do, continue collecting miles on the United in hope to get them 4 flights (might take like 2 years), or switch mid-year to something like Miles&More?.. Seeing that United's PQMs will reset on Jan 01, there's probably zero benefit for me to continue with them? I will probably get to around 50K if stay with United. My plan was to switch to a different airline, as I really need a silver level, as the access to lounges and priority check-in/boarding is of a higher importance to me, and with United I won't be able to get that, even with my high miles count, it seems.

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:56 pm

Not sure if that's the best place to ask, but which *A airline would match a gold AS status? With low requirements if possible.
SQ flat denied any sort of match. BR perhaps?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canoned
(1) What is your home airport? London (all)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy if buying myself, and Business if a company buys my tickets (50/50 in terms of the frequency)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 40K on Star Alliance and 20K Avios on BA's OneWorld
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Free lounge access, frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Really mixed bag! This year:
StarAlliance: Air N Zealand LAX - LHR, Air N Zealand LHR - LAX, LOT WAW - LHR, LOT ODS - WAW, Turkish Air IST - ODS, Turkish Air LHR - IST, Lufthansa FRA - PEK, Lufthansa LHR - FRA OneWorld: SAN FRANCISCO - SEATTLE, NEW YORK-JOHN F KENNEDY - LONDON HEATHROW , LOS ANGELES - NEW YORK-JOHN F KENNEDY , LONDON HEATHROW - LOS ANGELES , MOSCOW - SHEREMETYEVO - LONDON HEATHROW LONDON HEATHROW - MOSCOW - DOMODEDEVO , LONDON CITY AIRPORT - PRAGUE RUZYNE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT , LONDON HEATHROW - HOUSTON GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL , HOUSTON GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL - PHOENIX , FREDERIC CHOPIN - LONDON HEATHROW
(7) Preferred Airlines This one's tricky... had 2x Turkish flights, 2x Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 80% work, can choose airlines to an extent if prices are similar - otherwise, the company chooses the cheapest.

Additional info:
I fly a lot due to work (I work in film), but mainly have flown BA/OneWorld (Silver level there). But this year it has changed and I've actually amassed 28K miles on my United account (which was my airline of choice to collect the Star Alliance miles). I genuinely don't know why I went with United while I don't even fly that much to US, and definitely, don't fly much internally US. So... I ran into an issue where I have 28K of miles (giving me silver level), but no silver level - as I have zero United flights (and need 4).

My question is - what would you do, continue collecting miles on the United in hope to get them 4 flights (might take like 2 years), or switch mid-year to something like Miles&More?.. Seeing that United's PQMs will reset on Jan 01, there's probably zero benefit for me to continue with them? I will probably get to around 50K if stay with United. My plan was to switch to a different airline, as I really need a silver level, as the access to lounges and priority check-in/boarding is of a higher importance to me, and with United I won't be able to get that, even with my high miles count, it seems.

Thanks!
Since your travel patterns tend to change, I would consider Asiana. Asiana will give you 2 years to hit 40k to get diamond status (StarAlliance gold status). Asiana Diamond would give you Star Alliance Gold benefits (lounge access, free bag and priority check-in/boarding).

PS Your status is good for 2 years. Once you qualify for diamond status, you should evaluate if you should continue to use Asiana to accrue miles.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
M&M, Aeroplan or another one ?

1) What is your home airport? : YYZ, YTZ
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount W (fare T) or discount Biz (fare P)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Flying Blue Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? status for lounge access and frequent possibility of upgrade
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: a few Domestic Canadians on AC (6-10 segment/year) and TATL routes to Europe and Morocco (4 to 6 trips a year)
(7) Preferred Airlines: No preference, I ususally book the cheapest T or P fare in my dates
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? mainly for pleasure with my choice of airline. Only the domestic flights are business related and flown on AC metal.

I知 french and so far I was flying mainly on Skyteam which was allowing me to reconduct a silver status on FB/AF.

I知 moving to Canada for a new life, my flight will be a few segments on AC on domestic routes and around 4/6 return to RAK for family. Therefore, I assume Skyteam is not an option anymore for me and I think the better is to stick with *A.

I usually buy discounted Biz or Premium fare (P or T) according to reasonable prices found. I have no issue with making my flight to Morocco a Mileage Run if it helps (YYZ-YUL-FRA-ZRH-GVA-RAK doesn稚 scares me ) if its not making a big fare difference.

i知 wondering Whether I have better to make everything with M&M, Aeroplan or is there a better compromise to achieve a status (if possible *G) with my yearly itineraries ??

tha is to the community for your help and advices.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by imjustnico
1) What is your home airport? : YYZ, YTZ
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount W (fare T) or discount Biz (fare P)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Flying Blue Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? status for lounge access and frequent possibility of upgrade
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: a few Domestic Canadians on AC (6-10 segment/year) and TATL routes to Europe and Morocco (4 to 6 trips a year)
(7) Preferred Airlines: No preference, I ususally book the cheapest T or P fare in my dates
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? mainly for pleasure with my choice of airline. Only the domestic flights are business related and flown on AC metal.

I知 french and so far I was flying mainly on Skyteam which was allowing me to reconduct a silver status on FB/AF.

I知 moving to Canada for a new life, my flight will be a few segments on AC on domestic routes and around 4/6 return to RAK for family. Therefore, I assume Skyteam is not an option anymore for me and I think the better is to stick with *A.

I usually buy discounted Biz or Premium fare (P or T) according to reasonable prices found. I have no issue with making my flight to Morocco a Mileage Run if it helps (YYZ-YUL-FRA-ZRH-GVA-RAK doesn稚 scares me ) if its not making a big fare difference.

i知 wondering Whether I have better to make everything with M&M, Aeroplan or is there a better compromise to achieve a status (if possible *G) with my yearly itineraries ??

tha is to the community for your help and advices.
M&M is a difficult option to obtain *G (Senator) status. Aeroplan would be a nice option for you as you're based in Canada but that won't give you lounge access on domestic flights.
I would have gone for TAP Miles&Go as discount Business Class fares mostly earn %200 regardless of airline, but you would have to do 70.000 miles in your first year and 50.000 miles on your next year. If you want an easier option Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles is also one of the easiest ways to achieve *G but there are some very important points that might not fit you such as discounted tickets on most airlines is a straight zero, in addition, Lufthansa P class is also a straight zero but 40.000 miles would be enough for *G status for two years and it's easier to requalify.

I'm sorry but if you're living in the North American continent, it would be difficult to get upgrades on AC or UA without their own FFP but any *G status work for upgrades on the LH group, TK, A3, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.