Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:34 am

Martin, I would suggest United. Gold status already at 50000 miles. For status, United acrue REAL miles, not 50%, or 75%. It make the difference pretty fast.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:26 pm

(1) What is your home airport? LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy short haul, PE or J long haul.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Massively varied. Leisure flyer but with family and friends around Europe and the US.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access for short haul flights and potentially the ability to redeem something useful (this always seems to be difficult).
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: N/A
(7) Preferred Airlines: No preference
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure.

The main reason why I am asking is because I have a return flight from CDG to AKL in business booked and I can't work out where to credit it to and then use as my *A FFP. I believe it is all Lufthansa ticketed so using M&M doesn't seem the best place to credit it but thanks to the P fare class I'm not sure Aegean, Turkish or Asiana are any good either? If it helps I'm flying Paris to Frankfurt and then to Singapore with fare class P with Lufthansa before fare class J Air New Zealand to Auckland. On the return it is Singapore Airlines D fare class AKL to SIN and then Swiss P class SIN to ZRH and ZRH to CDG.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OrangeorRWB
<snip>
The main reason why I am asking is because I have a return flight from CDG to AKL in business booked and I can't work out where to credit it to and then use as my *A FFP. I believe it is all Lufthansa ticketed so using M&M doesn't seem the best place to credit it but thanks to the P fare class I'm not sure Aegean, Turkish or Asiana are any good either?
If it helps I'm flying Paris to Frankfurt and then to Singapore with fare class P with Lufthansa before fare class J Air New Zealand to Auckland. On the return it is Singapore Airlines D fare class AKL to SIN and then Swiss P class SIN to ZRH and ZRH to CDG.
  • Star Alliance credits based on operating carrier (OW used marketing carrier-flight number)
  • Star Alliance code shares do not always map 1 to 1 with fare booking class's. You never know what the fare booking class will be on the operating carrier. Hence earnings can be a unknown (more of a problem on cheaper economy fares)
  • Who issued the ticket (LH) is irrelevant in most ffp's
So you have
CDG-FRA-SIN-AKL on LH(P) LH(P) NZ(D)
AKL-SIN-ZRH-CDG on SQ(P) LX(P) LX(P)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=CDG-FRA...SU=kts&RS=best
Are these native flights on each airline or codeshare? [LHxxx, SQxxx, NZxxxx or something different]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Changi_Airport

https://www.wheretocredit.com/lufthansa/p
https://www.wheretocredit.com/air-new-zealand/d
https://www.wheretocredit.com/singapore-airlines/p
https://www.wheretocredit.com/swiss/p

You will not get lounge access unless you get mid tier status

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: SK, LH, A3, SQ, KL, AA, UA, DL and more.
(1) HAU and SVG
(2) V
(3) <25K
(4) Basically starting fresh.
(5) Baggage and lounge
(6) Europe
(7) SAS, KLM, Norwegian.
(8) Pleasure, I normally do not book tickets myself.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Yes, typically. I generally fly OW much more and use that for my long-haul redemption's.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
(1) What is your home airport? BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy short haul, J long haul.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? +100K. I am currently at 85K miles and at least the same amount scheduled
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? LH Sen, Flying Blue Platinum
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access for short haul flights and redeeming flight in J without too much hard cash for taxes
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: BRU - ATL, BRU-LAX, BRU-BKK, BRU - MEL, BRU - SYD
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Business

In 2 weeks I am renewing my SEN status already, so I am exploring my options, HON seems almost impossible for me to achieve and I really dislike the fact I have to pay between €500 to €600 sur-fuel charges and taxes on a long haul business class ticket.

Most important for me is that I can redeem award flights for me and my family without really feeling it in the wallet.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:53 pm

(1) What is your home airport? AKL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy long haul
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Large variation. Likely to start flying to conferences, which is why I'm asking. I have at least 40k planned the next 12 months, will likely be more in the 25k zone for the following years but will deviate a lot. Unlikely to maintain a high amount of miles in the short term.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? No.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Maybe lounge access, understand too little about rewards. I do want a program that I can use in the next decade since I hope to do much more travel once I graduate.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? AKL-TPE, almost all my flights are long-haul.
(7) Preferred Airlines: Since I'm based in NZ right now, often the only choice is Air NZ, Singapore (which I like)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. I can choose my airline for work (economy), we go through a travel agent so I can send specific itineraries.

I've haven't traveled much before, but I will start going to conferences on a semi-regular basis. Planning separate trips to California, Europe and Asia in the next 12 months so I should be able to rack up a couple of miles in the near future. Since I'm looking to be able to travel much more in the future, it would be good to be in a program that would be future proof, particularly because I do not know what city I will be based in in the future.

Star Alliance seems like my only choice right now, since I often need to rely on Air NZ flights, let me know if I'm wrong though. I've done a bit of background research, and it does seem like I'll fit under Asiana Airlines as it says in the FAQ (also I have family who travel much more infrequently which I can mileage pool). One thing I'm really confused about though is class fares (let me know if I should post this somewhere else), for example I'm planning to go AKL-SFO/LAX return in May, and the tickets are L class, which it seems won't be able earn mileage on, or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Miles and More, Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
1) What is your home airport? EDI
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy (M, W, U, Y)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Miles & More Silver - basic FlyingBlue and BAExecutive Club
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Any perks! Generally upgrades and priority. Lounge also very important - I do have LoungeKey, but it doesn’t always have great lounge selection. Interested in tickets / upgrades for my partner.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Varied: MSY and Norway most frequent. Otherwise, DXB, BOM, NRT, IAH and some short haul European most likely.
(7) Preferred Airlines - Lufthansa / United / Star Alliance, but only because of current status.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work.

I’m currently using Miles & More, which is fine, but noticed on a recent United flight that I would have had automatic upgrade entitlement if I’d had silver on MileagePlus. Considering whether I’m getting a good deal with M&M, or should transfer (it this is is possible). Possibility I could make it to SEN this years.

Last edited by ScotchFlyer; Mar 11, 2019 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
I am not an expert in all *A FFPs but here are some thoughts:
- I moved away from SEN a few years ago, the one thing I do miss is the companion award. But I agree that the fuel surcharges are ridiculous.
- If you're looking for the lowest charges, you should definitely look into United's MileagePlus. There is sometimes a huge difference with what LH charges. Another benefit of this is that you'd still be able to earn some miles in low Economy classes within Europe (e.g. on SN/LH/LX/OS). However, for your longhaul Business Class flights you might not earn as much as on M&M. Check also if you can reach status with that.
- I use Aegean's Miles&Bonus as my primary programme but I must admit that most times I earn nothing on Economy within Europe (so I credit those on UA).

Originally Posted by Remcod
(1) What is your home airport? BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy short haul, J long haul.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? +100K. I am currently at 85K miles and at least the same amount scheduled
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? LH Sen, Flying Blue Platinum
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access for short haul flights and redeeming flight in J without too much hard cash for taxes
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: BRU - ATL, BRU-LAX, BRU-BKK, BRU - MEL, BRU - SYD
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Business

In 2 weeks I am renewing my SEN status already, so I am exploring my options, HON seems almost impossible for me to achieve and I really dislike the fact I have to pay between €500 to €600 sur-fuel charges and taxes on a long haul business class ticket.

Most important for me is that I can redeem award flights for me and my family without really feeling it in the wallet.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:07 pm

Hi everyone,

First post as I am only recently getting into this game, following some long-haul business class flights.

(1) What is your home airport? ZRH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Generally economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Miles & More Frequent Traveller (*A Silver)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Making short-haul intra-European travel more comfortable (priority, lounge etc) along with the occassional J class award upgrade
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Leisure: Short haul European economy (monthly), 2-3 intercontinental economy-premium economy. Corporate: Occasional trip around Europe + intercontinental
(7) Preferred Airlines: LX because of location; SQ for flight comfort.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mix; pleasure predominantly though.

For this calendar year, I have accumulated 21k status as MM already, but I am thinking about changing, given the exorbitant requirements for Senator (compared to other *A gold FFP). I have an upcoming SQ flight SYD-ZRH in J, whch will yield another 20k. In addition to this, I will have around 5-10k by June 1st. Following June 1st, my schedule is unclear, so cannot say how much I will accumulate (work-related travel could either be a few international J class or nothing). Furthermore, being Swiss-based, I earn award miles through the MM credit cards.

Hence, my question would be whether to "stick it out" with MM, given the situation outlined above, or if I should be looking at the "usual suspects" like Aegan or Turkish?

Thanks for any input - much appreciated!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by MMMUUU888
Hi everyone,

First post as I am only recently getting into this game, following some long-haul business class flights.

(1) What is your home airport? ZRH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Generally economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Miles & More Frequent Traveller (*A Silver)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Making short-haul intra-European travel more comfortable (priority, lounge etc) along with the occassional J class award upgrade
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Leisure: Short haul European economy (monthly), 2-3 intercontinental economy-premium economy. Corporate: Occasional trip around Europe + intercontinental
(7) Preferred Airlines: LX because of location; SQ for flight comfort.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mix; pleasure predominantly though.

For this calendar year, I have accumulated 21k status as MM already, but I am thinking about changing, given the exorbitant requirements for Senator (compared to other *A gold FFP). I have an upcoming SQ flight SYD-ZRH in J, whch will yield another 20k. In addition to this, I will have around 5-10k by June 1st. Following June 1st, my schedule is unclear, so cannot say how much I will accumulate (work-related travel could either be a few international J class or nothing). Furthermore, being Swiss-based, I earn award miles through the MM credit cards.

Hence, my question would be whether to "stick it out" with MM, given the situation outlined above, or if I should be looking at the "usual suspects" like Aegan or Turkish?

Thanks for any input - much appreciated!
Similar situation as you albeit from other part of world. I'm Canadian, so the loyalty program for me would be AC's Aeroplan. However, I find that AC is very stingy with how it hands out the elite qualifying miles, particularly for deep discount tickets. For that reason, I credit my flights to United's MilagePlus program. They seem to offer 100% elite milage accrual on most of the airlines I fly (including the LH Group of airlines). *Gold with them only requires hitting 50,000 miles per year and flying 4 times on United operated flights. There is no revenue requirement (yet) for non-US residents like myself (who now resides in the UK). That being said, I still earn Aeroplan Miles which I credit to my Aeroplan account with the various credit cards and local offers available to me. When it comes time to book travel, I'll often look at which program offers the best benefits for the travel at hand. I've used Aeroplan to book United award tickets, then update the frequent flyer info on the award ticket so I got all my Gold benefits (i.e. Extra leg room seating, bag allowance, lounge access, complimentary upgrades, etc.). United also has a program that offers lifetime status after you fly 1,000,000 miles with them. United also has peculiarities that may work in your favour. For instance, UA and NH *Gold members get access to LH lounges even when flying on the cheapest EuroWings ticket. This is a benefit I don't believe even LH elites get access to.

Another program to consider is Asiana's Milage Club. With their program, it's possible to earn up to 4 years of elite status by accruing 50,000 miles as their qualifying period lasts 2 years (instead of 1) and once you hit Gold status automatically gets extended by a further 2 years. Another big benefit of their program is you can earn lifetime Gold with them after flying just 500,000 miles across any of the *A partners, not just Asiana. Accruals aren't as generous as UA but then again, once you get status you're set!

Aegean is of course another possibility particularly with their lower requalification requirement. My only concern there is the requirement that you have to fly so many Aegean segments to re-qualify, which may or may not work out for you. In addition, they've been forced to make many adjustments to their program over the past couple of years, most notably because they were too generous in the past with their program (IIRC they once were handing out lifetime *Gold like candy).

Can't comment much on Turkish as I haven't researched them thoroughly but would recommend you keep United and Asiana in mind.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Aegean is of course another possibility particularly with their lower requalification requirement. My only concern there is the requirement that you have to fly so many Aegean segments to re-qualify, which may or may not work out for you. In addition, they've been forced to make many adjustments to their program over the past couple of years, most notably because they were too generous in the past with their program (IIRC they once were handing out lifetime *Gold like candy).
You don't have to fly 4 segments on A3 to requalify - you just need 24K instead of 12K.

Also, there haven't been that many changes since the toughening of *G qualification criteria (back in 2015?). The only significant change in the last 3 years has been charging *G for sitting upfront (they get a 50% discount). Obviously this has gone down like a lead balloon but I can't think of anything else that's similar. They haven't yet taken away +1PC for *G HBO bookings, as LH and SK have done. And there haven't been any sudden massive devaluations in the award chart (c.f. QR). The biggest problem has come from the partner side - like LH effectively giving zero on the most common Eco fares, and even for business thanks to the dreaded P fare.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
After the nerfing of the UA MileagePlus program via dynamic award award pricing, I am looking for a new *A program.

ZRH/MUC

Y (cheapest possible).

2-3 long-haul r/t + a dozen or so short-haul sectors.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)

None.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)

Redeemable miles to use for $-saving redemptions in Y. No hard expiry (i.e. extendable expiry dates).

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)

TATL and EU-JNB/CPT, as well as intra-EU and occasional US domestics.
​​​​​​
(7) Preferred Airlines

Not really bothered, but LX is the *A carrier I use the most.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

Pure pleasure. I am now semi-retired and fund all my own travel.

I realise that, with my style of travel, I am not going to get much from any FFP, but not much is better than nothing.

Before the move to dynamic award pricing, UA suited me well. Now, I am really struggling to find any value anywhere.

I discontinued LH M&M a few years ago, due to hard expiry and cash fees on award flights. Now I am wondering if it might be the best of a bad lot. I could get around the expiry by getting an Austrian credit card and the fees by using the miles solely on US domestics, but I would be interested to know if I can find something better.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
After the nerfing of the UA MileagePlus program via dynamic award award pricing, I am looking for a new *A program.

ZRH/MUC

Y (cheapest possible).

2-3 long-haul r/t + a dozen or so short-haul sectors.

I realise that, with my style of travel, I am not going to get much from any FFP, but not much is better than nothing.

Before the move to dynamic award pricing, UA suited me well. Now, I am really struggling to find any value anywhere.

I discontinued LH M&M a few years ago, due to hard expiry and cash fees on award flights. Now I am wondering if it might be the best of a bad lot. I could get around the expiry by getting an Austrian credit card and the fees by using the miles solely on US domestics, but I would be interested to know if I can find something better.
Your options are likely to be limited, since the two obvious choices (LH, UA) have been ruled out.

Remember that even with the switch to dynamic pricing you'll still be able to avoid this by doing redemptions on partners rather than on UA itself. LH switched to revenue based earning (not redemptions) but this can be avoided by booking through partner airlines where possible (UA, LO).

The way things are heading it's only ever going to make sense to both earn and redeem on *A partner airlines, never with the airline itself!
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Your options are likely to be limited, since the two obvious choices (LH, UA) have been ruled out.

Remember that even with the switch to dynamic pricing you'll still be able to avoid this by doing redemptions on partners rather than on UA itself. LH switched to revenue based earning (not redemptions) but this can be avoided by booking through partner airlines where possible (UA, LO).

The way things are heading it's only ever going to make sense to both earn and redeem on *A partner airlines, never with the airline itself!
That might be the answer. Credit partner flights to UA and burn the miles on partners.

Where to credit UA flights to though? Aer Lingus Avios?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.