Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jtet
Wiki Link
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 4, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
For lounge access, you will have to earn 40k. Given how Asiana gives flight credits, your 40K is practically 80K. It makes no difference when the membership year is 1 or 2 years as your requirement has practically increased.

UA has the most generous mile expiration policy among *A. Your miles virtually do not expire as soon as your account has some activities in the past 18 months.

Also - you seem to forget a key UA elite benefit - free E+ access.
Thanks for an interesting post. I assume that the OP Hong Kong address was an important part of your analysis.

With my USA address, I am looking at Asiana. (Actually credited my Copa flights to Asiana - 14,500 miles) My plan is to credit flights to Asiana until I qualify for *gold. After that, I am uncertain where to credit flights.

​​Economy plus is a great "free" benefit. However, my spend (USA address) would only qualify for silver status. 40-60k miles. Any idea if I would actually get United economy plus seating with silver status on USA-SE Asia flights?

PS I have a lot of United miles to burn.

PPS Lounge access is a great benefit of *gold. The value of the *gold lounges is diminished for me due to my having priority pass lounge access via my credit card.

​​​​​
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:40 am

Programs: BA, PC, HH
Hello,

Looking for some advice here.

I have a Business (J) class flight LHR-SIN coming up over the next week and wondering what scheme to use. I used to have BMI, but ....

In terms of more information:
- UK based, London airports.
- Usually use BA & have avois, but no status at the moment (have had gold a couple of years over the past decade)
- travel that accumulates miles most likely to be late booked business class, and very random as to level - e.g. last work flights were to SIN three years ago, but that was 2x first returns. Almost had another fight to Asia last year, but didn't end up happening. Leisure travel tends to be Europe low cost at the moment.
- As star alliance likely to be infrequently used, long mileage expiry dates helpful/can actually redeem reasonably.

A quick search around has popped up Asiana - 10 year expiry and the return would get me to their gold level for two years (which doesn't seem to do much) - but Star Alliance has changed much since I last had membership so I'm very open to suggestions..

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 5, 18, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
(1) What is your home airport? LON
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? 65% discount economy, 35% business (the balance is up to me so I'm happy to switch in between to maintain status)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Probably ~100k total, but only planning to do ~50k / 30 segments on *A per year.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) At the very least, priority services at the airport, better seats (exit row or extra legroom), and lounge access. Once that's granted, a good lifetime program would be nice, as I am fairly young.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: I mostly go to Canada or Switzerland, and otherwise would add a few tourist destinations every year.
(7) Preferred Airlines: No preference.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? I travel for pleasure, so I'll pick up any good deal that comes my way for discount economy or business fares.

Last edited by thebigben; Apr 5, 18 at 9:25 am
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:08 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, UAMP Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
United Mileage Plus vs SAS Eurobonus?

Hi everyone,

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

its time for my new mileage year to begin and Iím trying to decide which program would be best for me at this point. I have been a Eurobonus diamond member for last several years but because of some bad experiences with SAS, I have been using other star alliance airlines for travel but still maintain my EB membership/status. My typical travel has also recently decreased so Iím just wondering how best I can maximize the benefits of either program to at least achieve/maintain star alliance Gold level. My typical travel now consists of approx 4 round trips from within Scandinavia to US and typically 4-6 domestic (within the US) flights as well. Sometimes I will book a separate United flight in conjunction with my long haul flight as lately itís been cheaper to do so. The tickets I purchase are typically business class. I am not sure of class codes but typically the United domestic flights say Z , P etc (Iím unfamiliar with that whole system myself but when choosing my united flights I typically choose for price and schedule and whatever that code is, it is. I really donít even understand why they are different at times when booking on the same route/flight) but anyway, I have read through the information on mileage plus program and still am trying to understand it, and itís sounding like I might do better just based on my dollar amount spent yearly(?) my transatlantic flights run anywhere from $2500-3800 each and domestics vary greatly but typically $500-1200 so thatís why if Iím understanding the mp program correctly, Iím thinking I can at least achieve silver, and/or gold relatively quickly. I should also mention that I do have an active mp explorer credit card as well, the lowest level one ($95/yr) but have essentially stopped using it due to being in the Eurobonus program for the last few years so it wouldnít be difficult to use again, especially for booking tickets if switching to the movie program.

Within EU my domestic flights, much like my long hauls, are presently through varied star alliance carriers, in fact I havenít flown SAS at least for close to the past year and donít anticipate any more flights with them, at least I will continue to look to other carriers first.

So again, any opinions, thoughts, etc would very much appreciated. Thank you very much!!!

ps. My home airport is CPH but lately I am mostly flying in and out of GOT as I can find cheaper fares and since Iím no longer using SAS, I have to make connections anyway (I used to fly SAS direct from CPH both to east coast and west coast US) but now typically will first change planes in another EU country prior to the long haul, obviously, depending which airline Iím flying on.
Old Apr 12, 18, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Greg0rE View Post
Been with One World for the past two years (huge regrets) and am looking to switch back to Star Alliance. I used to be UA Gold for two years before my OW mistake but don't fly to the US as frequently anymore these days.
Simple - UA again. LH SEN will be too much for you.

BTW - what kind of fares are you flying?

Originally Posted by Mr_Bigglesworth View Post
Looking for some advice here.
Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
(1) What is your home airport? LON
Originally Posted by Shoredreamer View Post
So again, any opinions, thoughts, etc would very much appreciated. Thank you very much!!!
Sorry - UA again for all.

FWIW - it is never my intent to promote UA. However, given the situation, UA sounds like a better choice over others.

Last edited by garykung; May 7, 18 at 12:33 am
Old Apr 29, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: Miles & More
(1) What is your home airport? GVA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy, rarely discounted
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None only have miles & more reward points left
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Familly related perks -> Priority boarding, lounge / Familly-able program
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Europe mostly but planned for Americas & Asia this year.
(7) Preferred Airlines Swiss, SAS, Singapore Airlines , (KLM, Air France)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly pleasure, with wife & two kids. Would love to have perks for everyone, Miles&More doesn't seem to be accounting for kids in any way so far ?

We'd love to do a kind of world tour ( 2 Adults + 2 Childs ) and appreciate if we could get any benefits.
Thanks !

PS: First post here, hope it's Okay.

Last edited by akileos; Apr 29, 18 at 6:46 am
Old Apr 29, 18, 8:46 am

Hi everyone,

Really need the help. I've just been transferred to Singapore from Vietnam. And as a result, my Vietnam airlines status has become useless. Tried to do a status match on UA and Singapore Airlines and failed. Tried to do so with Turkish Airlines, and also got into limbo. So wondering if the best way is to try and go through the front door.

1. Home Airport - Singapore - SIN
2. Fare - Economy - Y
3. >50k
4. Vietnam Airlines Lotus Miles Gold
5. I want lounge access first. Then frequent upgrades
6. Asian routes for the most part
7. No preferred airlines.
8. I will keep it to Economy for the most part.

I certainly have enough flights to do so I think!

Current SQ qualifying points = 0
Current TK qualifying points = 11,125 miles

Future unbooked itinerary, thinking that I will focus on Singapore Airlines, EVA, TK and United for these flights

5/9 - Singapore -> Athens - 5.6k miles
5/14 - Athens -> Singapore - 5.6k miles
5/28 - Singapore -> Taipei - 2k miles
6/1 - Taipei -> Shanghai - 0.4k miles
6/8 - Shanghai -> Phuket - 2.2k miles
6/11 - Phuket -> Singapore - 0.8k miles
6/15 - Singapore -> Manila - 1.5k miles
6/18 - Manila -> Ho Chi Minh - 1k miles
6/25 - Ho Chi Minh -> Singapore - 1.1k miles
7/3 - Singapore -> Ho Chi Minh - 1.1k miles
7/6 - Ho Chi Minh -> Dalian, China - 2.1k miles
7/9 - Dalian -> Singapore - 2.8k miles
7/12 - Singapore -> Los Angeles - 8.8k miles
7/22 - Los Angeles -> Singapore - 8.8k miles

The total is like 43k miles. I have more travel, but figured that this might be a good start to talk about? Am I crazy to think that this can be optimized somehow to get good status with an airline?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 6, 18, 9:25 pm

Programs: JetPrivilege
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
BOM (Mumbai, India)

Any

<25K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
JetPrivilege Platinum

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
priority services

India to US

(7) Preferred Airlines
Air Canada, Lufthansa, Jet Airways

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Work, can choose
Old May 8, 18, 3:54 am

(1) What is your home airport?
I will relocate to D.C. in the fall, but I am originally German so I will travel to FRA, say, at least twice per year.

I exclusively fly economy, usually I go for the cheapest ticket. I very rarely fly business class.

25k-50k miles a year.

basic member at Eurobonus.

good award redemption rates, priority services

Right now I mainly fly domestic European routes. In the future it will be more transatlantic and domestic U.S.

(7) Preferred Airlines
Don't care.

I cannot really choose my airlines or class of service. First, there is a budget constraint so that I usually go for the cheapest flight. Second, I am subject to the Fly America Act for work travels.

I have a couple of upcoming flights, mostly booked already with LH, SAS or UA.

May: D.C. -> Newark -> Stockholm - 4.1k miles
May: Stockholm -> Zurich -> Lugano - 1k miles
May: Lugano -> Zurich -> Stockholm - 1k miles
May: Stockholm -> Amsterdam - 0.7k miles
May: Amsterdam -> Stockholm - 0.7k miles
June: Stockholm -> CPH -> LAX -> San Diego - 5.6k miles
June: San Diego -> Seattle -> FRA - 5.8k miles
August: FRA -> Stockholm - 0.7k miles
August: Stockholm -> D.C. 4.1k miles

Last edited by marky2kk; May 8, 18 at 3:59 am
Old May 8, 18, 1:28 pm

1. What is your home airport?
Primarily LHR/LGW however I do fly out of DXB a lot.

2. What types of fares do you usually buy?
Business most of the time.

3. How many miles do you usually fly each year?
So far I've done over 50k on Emirates and discovered I'm going to lose BA Gold (which doesn't bother me, hate the airline).

4. Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
Yes, Emirates Gold and BA Gold.

5. What is most important to you in a FFP?
My main concern is service onboard,

6. Which routes do you fly most often?
European and Canada/US, I predict a small uptick in Canadian and US flights, Canada especially.

7. Preferred Airlines
Not so sure, I found AC great, LH great and SAS meh.

8. Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Both.

Essentially I'm travelling around Europe with more Canada travel and the odd trip to NYC on the horizon and after sub-standard service with BA, I'm seriously considering a switch to Star Alliance, I understand that I've got a fair few European options from Lufthansa M&M to SAS Eurobonus but what about Air Canada's plan, it looks interesting and I can't see any real negatives compared to M&M although Eurobonus has lower qualification? I won't be flying SAS though, LH yes but AC slightly more I'd say.
Old May 11, 18, 8:17 am

RE: 2 player mode? Different *A selections for each person?
I've posted here previously to ask for advice to which the answer was Asiana, but I have a different question now:
In the case of a couple doing a RTW trip flying together, does it make sense for one person to select one Star Alliance carrier and the other person to select another?

SO (Singaporean) and I (US citizen from HNL) are doing a trip and I've selected Asiana as mine, and in the meantime, I've selected hers as United. I'm thinking she might be able to get United Silver (economy plus for both of us once she hits status?) and I could get Asiana Gold.

Does this make sense?

(1) What is your home airport? SIN; 1-2x a year flying to HNL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? n/a
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Generally, within Asia; flights from SIN to TYO, ICN, HKG and also HNL
(7) Preferred Airlines Whichever is cheapest
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure
Old May 12, 18, 11:07 am

Programs: Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodtasting View Post
RE: 2 player mode? Different *A selections for each person?
I've posted here previously to ask for advice to which the answer was Asiana, but I have a different question now:
In the case of a couple doing a RTW trip flying together, does it make sense for one person to select one Star Alliance carrier and the other person to select another?

SO (Singaporean) and I (US citizen from HNL) are doing a trip and I've selected Asiana as mine, and in the meantime, I've selected hers as United. I'm thinking she might be able to get United Silver (economy plus for both of us once she hits status?) and I could get Asiana Gold.

Does this make sense?

(1) What is your home airport? SIN; 1-2x a year flying to HNL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? n/a
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Generally, within Asia; flights from SIN to TYO, ICN, HKG and also HNL
(7) Preferred Airlines Whichever is cheapest
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure
Asiana does allow family pooling of miles. I am not sure of the rules to qualify for family pooling of miles. Having miles split might make it more difficult to use those miles to travel together.

I recently joined the Asiana ff program. My understanding is that it is good for achieving and keeping status. Is it as good in earning miles and travel awards? Would ANA be better once you have achieved status from Asiana? I am asking you the very same questions I am asking myself.

PS Splitting the programs is interesting. You might check over in the United forum on how often you would get e+ seating flying Asian routes given silver status. Report back on your final solution and thought process.
​​​​
Old May 27, 18, 12:39 pm

Hi all,
However. I am planning to switch my flights from BA to star alliance flights. Please kindly advise:

(1) What is your home airport? HKG/BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Premium Economy / SAS Plus
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 2-round trips between HKG - BRU (<25K, around 24K miles)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Apart from BA Bronze, I also have a NH account but with no status
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge Access, Good award redemption, Soft Expiry of miles
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? BRU-XXX-HKG (Family members can redeem short haul Asia)
(7) Preferred Airlines - SAS (Fare class P or A) - 50%, Lufthansa and Austrian (Fare class N) - 50%
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure, can choose

I am have a few options in my mind:
1. NH, it is only good redemption (NH flights for my family members from HKG - HND for around 20,000 miles only), earn miles is ok for the above fare classes, but not easy to earn status, hard expiry of miles (3 Years)
2. SK, Earning and Redemption rates are good, hard expiry after 4 years? (Seems cannot not sure redemption availability, and it is not easy for me to pool a lot of miles for Europe - HKG redemption)
3. OZ, easy to earn and for status (*G). But the redemption for short haul is not so good, I need some time to accumulate if I want a BRU-HKG round trip
4. A3, easy to earn status but N/A to me (to be honest, I don't fly to Greece), earnings is good for SAS plus (200%) but 0 for Austrian N, redemption is not too bad, and soft expiry.

Thanks a lot
Old May 27, 18, 6:01 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc View Post
Hi all,
However. I am planning to switch my flights from BA to star alliance flights. Please kindly advise:

(1) What is your home airport? HKG/BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Premium Economy / SAS Plus
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 2-round trips between HKG - BRU (<25K, around 24K miles)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Apart from BA Bronze, I also have a NH account but with no status
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge Access, Good award redemption, Soft Expiry of miles
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? BRU-XXX-HKG (Family members can redeem short haul Asia)
(7) Preferred Airlines - SAS (Fare class P or A) - 50%, Lufthansa and Austrian (Fare class N) - 50%
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure, can choose

I am have a few options in my mind:
1. NH, it is only good redemption (NH flights for my family members from HKG - HND for around 20,000 miles only), earn miles is ok for the above fare classes, but not easy to earn status, hard expiry of miles (3 Years)
2. SK, Earning and Redemption rates are good, hard expiry after 4 years? (Seems cannot not sure redemption availability, and it is not easy for me to pool a lot of miles for Europe - HKG redemption)
3. OZ, easy to earn and for status (*G). But the redemption for short haul is not so good, I need some time to accumulate if I want a BRU-HKG round trip
4. A3, easy to earn status but N/A to me (to be honest, I don't fly to Greece), earnings is good for SAS plus (200%) but 0 for Austrian N, redemption is not too bad, and soft expiry.

Thanks a lot
Don't write off A3 just because you don't plan on flying to Greece. With the 2 round trips you will earn around 48K if you fly SAS Plus via ARN, so even without A3 segments you will easily maintain *G. The only slight hurdle is you need to get 24K for *S (w/o the A3 segments) before getting the 48K for *G. But once you've got to *G you only need 24K to retain it (again, assuming no A3 flights).
Old May 28, 18, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
Don't write off A3 just because you don't plan on flying to Greece. With the 2 round trips you will earn around 48K if you fly SAS Plus via ARN, so even without A3 segments you will easily maintain *G. The only slight hurdle is you need to get 24K for *S (w/o the A3 segments) before getting the 48K for *G. But once you've got to *G you only need 24K to retain it (again, assuming no A3 flights).
Thank you for your advice,
I do see your point, if I take my journey 2 times a year, it will be:
5898 X 200% X 4 legs = 47184 miles

good for redemption and almost there for gold 2nd year.
I need to have an artificial leg perhaps routing like this, BRU-CPH-ARN-HKG could earn more miles.
if I don't take SK-A/P but go for LH-P, it will be another case, lol

Search this Thread