Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Hi Guys - in need of some desperate advice.
I have a few flights coming up this month and in June that will kick start whichever program I join - so I'd love to get this right.

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.): SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.): Business for work. Business/Econ for personal
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? : 25-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? : Frequent Upgrades and lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc): Int'l from Asia. SIN-HKG in Business (2xyear), SIN-SYD in Business (1xyear), SIN to Europe normally for personal travel
(7) Preferred Airlines: SQ, CX, QF, Qatar
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?): Both, work always Biz, pleasure economy unless i find a good fare on this forum

To note: I have locked in SIN-NBO on TK this year in J. I estimate that to be ~16k Kris miles, or 21k TK miles.
I also have SIN-HKG in J end of March where i can choose between CX and SQ.
I'm from Sydney so my flights home annually are normally QF or SQ. Happy to take suggestions.

What do you thinK??
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ttep
Hi Guys - in need of some desperate advice.
I have a few flights coming up this month and in June that will kick start whichever program I join - so I'd love to get this right.

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.): SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.): Business for work. Business/Econ for personal
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? : 25-50k
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? : Frequent Upgrades and lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc): Int'l from Asia. SIN-HKG in Business (2xyear), SIN-SYD in Business (1xyear), SIN to Europe normally for personal travel
(7) Preferred Airlines: SQ, CX, QF, Qatar
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?): Both, work always Biz, pleasure economy unless i find a good fare on this forum

To note: I have locked in SIN-NBO on TK this year in J. I estimate that to be ~16k Kris miles, or 21k TK miles.
I also have SIN-HKG in J end of March where i can choose between CX and SQ.
I'm from Sydney so my flights home annually are normally QF or SQ. Happy to take suggestions.

What do you thinK??
SQ might be a good idea for you just because you're from Australia and SQ earns miles on VA flights.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
SQ might be a good idea for you just because you're from Australia and SQ earns miles on VA flights.

Seems like the obvious choice especially with the tk flights.. but I've heard sq aren't the best at giving back to loyalty. My work-mate is only gold at CX and was telling me he gets upgraded fairly frequently, whereas I've heard others say SQ is more of an infrequent thing.
CX earn miles from Qantas flights don't they?

Side question - does the *A and OW status automatically mirror whatever your status is on the program within the alliance?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX earn miles from Qantas flights don't they?

Side question - does the *A and OW status automatically mirror whatever your status is on the program within the alliance?
Yes. Subject to be an eligible (earning) fare booking class.
Note CX has many fare booking class's that earn zilch in CX Asia Miles/Marco Polo and OW other ffp's.
Where to Credit | Where to Credit Qantas Airways Flights
Where to Credit | Where to Credit Cathay Pacific Airways Flights

Not 100% sure what your question is.
Your status has benefits will all airline in the alliance.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-oneworld-tier-status
Expect there is a similar link/info on the Star Alliance web site, but in a quick look could not find it.
But do all *A tiers have the same name (e.g. gold)?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. Subject to be an eligible (earning) fare booking class.
Note CX has many fare booking class's that earn zilch in CX Asia Miles/Marco Polo and OW other ffp's.
Where to Credit Where to Credit Qantas Airways Flights
Where to Credit Where to Credit Cathay Pacific Airways Flights

Not 100% sure what your question is.
Your status has benefits will all airline in the alliance.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-oneworld-tier-status
Expect there is a similar link/info on the Star Alliance web site, but in a quick look could not find it.
But do all *A tiers have the same name (e.g. gold)?
Ignore the second part - I was meaning to ask whether (although they are named differently) the first level up in most *A programs equates to silver in *A, second level to gold and so forth. I think this answered what i was trying to get at: Gold Status - Star Alliance

Appreciate the colour mate.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ignore the second part - I was meaning to ask whether (although they are named differently) the first level up in most *A programs equates to silver in *A, second level to gold and so forth. I think this answered what i was trying to get at: Gold Status - Star Alliance

Appreciate the colour mate.
For the most part yes. Elite level 1 is *Silver and elite level 2 is *Gold. A rare exception is AC, both their Level 1&2 elite levels are *Silver.

But many *A programs have an elite status level 3 or even 4 as well (ex. UA with Platinum and 1k). But those still map to maximum *Gold. There's only 2 alliance wide levels, unlike OW where you have Emerald. Thus, there is no way to gain access to most First Class lounges just based off of status except on the carrier of your FFP.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have not been traveling the last couple of years. I do have large balances at United (very large) & Delta (plus 100k ba). I earned most of my United miles via cheap international trips and mileage runs. Since United status now depends on $ spent, I am looking at other *alliance carriers.

This year I will be traveling Chicago to Brazil (probably on Avianca) and at least 2 other trips Chicago/ FLL to Bangkok/Singapore/Manila.

1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.): FLL or ORD

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.): Unfortunately I usually book cheap economy tickets. I will need to be careful of my fare class in the future.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? : 40-55k

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? : Lounge access and decent award availability and flexibility

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc):

FLL to SE Asia. FLL-BKK/MNL/SIN in economy (2+ per year)

Chicago to Brazil ORD-GRU in economy (may become an annual trip)

I will also travel within SE Asia but primarily on discount airlines.

(7) Preferred Airlines: ANA, Asiana, EVA, Singapore and Thai. (Alphabetical order)

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you choose your airlines, class of service?): Pleasure. I can choose my airline and class of service.

PS I would also like to use my miles, at some point. I will be looking at international trips in economy and on rare occasions in business.

PPS Since I will be traveling 10k miles on Avianca, I could get gold status with LifeMiles

Last edited by Explore SE Asia; Feb 4, 2018 at 6:04 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BA, Virgin. LC Accor, IGH, BW
(1) What is your home airport? MAN, Any London Airport, BHX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k - 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? NA
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades on travel & good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often EU to NA or EU to Asia or EU to EU
(7) Preferred Airlines? Any
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

If it helps there's 2 of us.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:32 am

(1) What is your home airport? JFK, LGA. Any NYC airport. EWR is generally tough because I live in Brooklyn and would have to cross 2 rivers.
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy for personal. Economy/Business for work. Business for any routes longer than 4500 miles.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50k-75k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Delta Diamond Medallion
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades and Companion Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Domestic: SFO, AUS. International: DUB, GRU, SIN, HKG, TPE, NRT
(7) Preferred Airlines? Currently loyal to Delta/SkyTeam but unhappy with lack of routes to Asia. All new routes seem to be through DTW, MSP, ATL. Partners Korean Airlines and China Eastern don't really offer options for upgrades. Considering American or United (unfortunately EWR is their NYC hub) as they have better direct routes as well as stronger partners.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both!

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA
Which scheme?

I will be flying Ethiopian Business to Cape Town in a few months and I wondered which scheme to join. Stick with Ethiopian or join another star alliance one with better rewards. Tbh most of my flights are with oneworld (mostly BA) this is my first star alliance flight in 2 years.
(1) What is your home airport? London (any)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy. Premium or Business when with work. and over 5000miles
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50k (possibly)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Bronze
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, are probably the top for me. Lounge access being the least important
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Inter EU, Trans Atlantic and Africa
(7) Preferred Airlines BA (preferred is a strong word though)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both

Last edited by biertje; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryufus
(1) What is your home airport? JFK, LGA. Any NYC airport. EWR is generally tough because I live in Brooklyn and would have to cross 2 rivers.
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy for personal. Economy/Business for work. Business for any routes longer than 4500 miles.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50k-75k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Delta Diamond Medallion
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades and Companion Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Domestic: SFO, AUS. International: DUB, GRU, SIN, HKG, TPE, NRT
(7) Preferred Airlines? Currently loyal to Delta/SkyTeam but unhappy with lack of routes to Asia. All new routes seem to be through DTW, MSP, ATL. Partners Korean Airlines and China Eastern don't really offer options for upgrades. Considering American or United (unfortunately EWR is their NYC hub) as they have better direct routes as well as stronger partners.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both!
As as USA resident go for UA & AA. Or Alaska AS, but they have lost some ff partners recently.
You can also easily get ff miles from non flying activities.

If you join a non USA ffp, you will not get upgrades on USA based airlines or non USA airlines. The upgrade policy of non USA based airlines is not the same as USA airlines. With non USA airlines always expect to fly in the class you. Upgrades are not given like they are on USA airlines.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
(1) What is your home airport? PRG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? D, I, O, Q
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >100k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AA EXP
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Quick mile earning at high status level, Good award redemption rates, frequent upgrades on travel
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? BA, AA, JAL
(7) Preferred Airlines? Any with comfortable flatbed business class for transatlantic flights
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both work and pleasure; can choose airlines and routing

I have AA EXP and travel 100,000+ miles per year, discounted coach within Europe and a mix of discounted coach and discounted business class intercontinentally (approx. 10 intercontinental return trips per year, mainly to US but also to Japan).

I am getting pretty fed up with transferring through LHR for my intercontinental legs and so am considering switching to Star Alliance. Would appreciate any thoughts about which airline would work best given my current home base in Prague. My main objective is earning as many miles as possible to redeem for flights for my family on vacations. Really appreciate any help and suggestions
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mmucha23
(1) What is your home airport? PRG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? D, I, O, Q
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AA EXP
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Quick mile earning at high status level, Good award redemption rates, frequent upgrades on travel
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? BA, AA, JAL
(7) Preferred Airlines? Any with comfortable flatbed business class for transatlantic flights
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both work and pleasure; can choose airlines and routing

I have AA EXP and travel 100,000+ miles per year, discounted coach within Europe and a mix of discounted coach and discounted business class intercontinentally (approx. 10 intercontinental return trips per year, mainly to US but also to Japan).

I am getting pretty fed up with transferring through LHR for my intercontinental legs and so am considering switching to Star Alliance. Would appreciate any thoughts about which airline would work best given my current home base in Prague. My main objective is earning as many miles as possible to redeem for flights for my family on vacations. Really appreciate any help and suggestions
I think LH would be a good choice for you if based in Prague. If you can reach Senator (100k miles per year) the benefits are very good. You could also try UA for 1k status, and you'll be able to waive the PQM requirement because you have an international address. Lots of choices for you.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: M&M SEN
(1) What is your home airport? BRU, AMS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? C/J
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? MM SEN, AY Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award redemption, taking the family on a holiday, priority/lounge access when taking short haul flights
(6) Which routes do you fly most often BRU-BKK-CAN-HKG
(7) Preferred Airlines Any as long as I can get a decent sleep on a lie flat seat. Being 1m91 makes it difficult
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, I have free choice of class and service

I'm at a crossroad and would like to ask you guys for some advice. I have MM SEN status until next year (>600k miles) and my Finnair Gold Status (>200k miles) has just been renewed.
I fly frequently to BKK, CAN and HK for work (once every two months) and always book well in advance business saver fares. I am not happy with the cabin layout of the Finnair A350 (almost impossible to sleep when you are over 6 feet tall) and when flying Finnair, I try to get on the older A330. I like the cabin of the new Swiss triple 7. For reasons unknown I never flew LH.
Surely there are advantages that I am not aware of in both programs. So my question is, should I go left and stick with MM or go right and work my way up at Finnair/OneWorld? Or is there maybe another program that may be more interesting for my travels to and from Asia.
Thank you for helping me out.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
AMS....and you've never considered KLM ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.