Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beamac
I have recently taken advantage of the LH offer to fly to DEL ( GLA - MUC in J, MUC-FRA in J, FRA-DEL in A and return DEL -FRA in A then FRA-EDI in J) and hope to build on that to gain status. Looking for advice on where to credit miles to build on them with view to gaining *A status, if possible whilst maintaining BA status. Was planning to credit to MM, but A3 /Asiana seem to be the easiest to gain status, (?) but unlikely to fly either as part of my travelling plans- is that an issue ?

1) What is your home airport?
EDI- happy to position ex EU for a deal
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Intra Europe mostly discount economy but occasionally business if feeling flush! Long haul in business
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
20-30k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
BA Silver, hold basic SAS and MMBasically everything that makes the trip itself more comfortable. Redemption of miles is less important but will never refuse the chance to use miles
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Lounge access, priority boarding- good redemptions to a degree, but less so
(6) Which routes do you fly most often
Mostly intraEurope Spain, Germany, Scandinavia mostly and 1-2 long haul in business per year US or far east
(7) Preferred Airlines
Lufthansa, SAS but open to utilising others if price etc balance out
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Pleasure- now retired so have plenty time!

Thanks for any advice
UA MP. With enough business class travel @ 200% on LH/LX you should be able to get to 50k qualifying miles which will get you SAG and thus Sen lounge access etc. Wrinkle is ... you need 4 UA segments a year ... if you have 1 trip a year to the US that is easy to do. Redemption with UA is pretty good as well. Earnings will be mediocre, but still better than if you credit to M&M.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Many thanks, I will investigate that
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
8-9 RT between SFO-CCU (India) in Business

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) - SFO (Intl) and SMF (domestic)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) - C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) - 8-9 RT x 20,000 miles (actual)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) - AA Plat Exec
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) - good award redemption/availability and hopefully low award fees (though I am wiling to pay higher fees in return for good availability.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) - Mostly transpacs to India. Other than that, I fly mostly on Southwest in the US.
(7) Preferred Airlines - SQ, CX.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) mostly for work. I can choose carrier and fly J.

Hello.

I travel 8-9 times per year RT between SFO and CCU in business. Currently, I travel on CX/KA and collect miles on AA. I am looking to change to SQ for the following reasons:

1. The 4-4:30 flight between CCU-HKG on KA is horrible The seat is pathetic, and the Indian Veg Meal and servicel is worse than SQ economy
2. The India Vegetarian Meals on CX are cheap economy class meals, which almost never change. I have literally been served the same exact pre-landing breakfast on HKG-SFO for the past 25 flights in the last 3-5 years.
3. Fares are about US$500 cheaper on SQ - which admittedly is not the biggest factor.
4. The hard/soft product on SQ is much better than CX.

The option I am looking at is traveling on SQ, with their non stop flights. The food, service, and seat are all better. While CX has more flights to SFO daily, both have about the same frequency to CCU.

Besides SQ, I know the other *A option is AI, but I don't fee safe flying with them, aside from their poor hard/soft product.

My other option would be to stick to One World and fly QR, but I don't like traveling on ME airlines. When things go wrong with schedule changes/missed flights/lost baggage, they are difficult to deal with.

I used to fly EK, but they have a 7-8 layover in Dubai (each way), which I want to avoid now.

My question is which *A carrier should I fly on to get max mileage with the optimal combination of reward availability and reasonable award taxes, should I decide to switch to SQ.

If it makes any difference in choosing a FFP, I can list an India address or US address.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:19 am

Hello,

Recently I took a SWISS flight from Europe (Barcelona) to South America (Brazil).

- In my Mileageplus account I received 6420 miles (3.2k per each way)

- My girlfriend’s Miles&More account received half my miles. (like 1.6k status miles per each way). –> I still need to claim the return’s trip.

Is normal to receive 50% of miles in M&M than MP? I understand the miles value (when spending) is similar. (in M&M I haven’t seen flights 50% cheaper).

I’m not sure if She should claim returning trip with another FPP, or keep using M&M. She only have these miles in M&M FPP.

What do you suggest based on below details?

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Save miles long term and exchange for long round-trip flights.
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
<25000

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
Europe domestic flights and European to Argentina/Brazil flights.
(6) What is your home airport?
BCN (Barcerlona)
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

Girlfriend:

M&M: 1.6k status miles.

Me:

MileagePlus: I have 100k miles

KLM: I have gold status but low miles (Not applicable for this question).

(8) Preferred Airlines
N/A
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:20 am

Hello,

Recently I took a SWISS flight from Europe (Barcelona) to South America (Brazil).

- My girlfriend’s Miles&More account received half my miles. (like 1.6k status miles per each way). –> I still need to claim the return’s trip.

Is normal to receive 50% of miles in M&M than MP? I understand the miles value (when spending) is similar. (in M&M I haven’t seen flights 50% cheaper).

I’m not sure if She should claim returning trip with another FPP, or keep using M&M. She only have these miles in M&M FPP.

What do you suggest based on below details?

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Save miles long term and exchange for long round-trip flights.
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
<25000

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
Europe domestic flights and European to Argentina/Brazil flights.
(6) What is your home airport?
BCN (Barcerlona)
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

Girlfriend:

M&M: 1.6k status miles.

Me:

MileagePlus: I have 100k miles

KLM: I have gold status but low miles (Not applicable for this question).

(8) Preferred Airlines
N/A
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sebastiand123

Earning are based on the fare booking class. This information will be in the airlines ffp web site. 50% 25% & 0% is not unusual on low prices fares.
https://www.wheretocredit.com/swiss

FF miles are not always equal to earn or burn between ffp's. There can be big differences

Status miles & redeemable ff miles are not the same.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the medium to long term.

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
sebastiand123 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:49 pm

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) - SFO
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) - R,E (Premium Economy for work), lowest fares for personal
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 60Kish
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) - CX gold (OW sapphire)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) - Good award reception first with lounge access a close second.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) - work: (R,E codes) SFO to HKG 4x a year and SFO to PVG 2x a year. Personal: (cheapest fare class): family of 4 trip of SFO to CDG 1x a year, SFO to other westerns/midwest cities 3x a year.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you choose your airlines, class of service?) mostly for work.

Part of the CX MP club. Biggest issues with CX are (1) the miles repetition for domestic flights. It is hard to book AA redemption flights with Asia miles. AS offers some domestic redemptions but most redemption flights go through PDX or SEA which is not acceptable when I am going to Chicago, Houston, or Hawaii (maybe the Virgin America merger will fix this but i have not seen any improvements). And (2) when I fly from SFO to PVG, I have to connect in HKG or take a AA flight and connect in LAX.

Looking at Star Alliance because of the amount of options for flying to Asia and SFO is a United hub. United is not the best option for Asia travel because they do not (currently) offer Premium Economy seats so if I choose them, my work would book the cheapest economy seat and I would not get full miles (got less than 5K redemption miles on an actual SFO to PVG 12k mile trip earlier this year) and it would be difficult to reach the PQD minimum requirement for status.

So, If I move to a STAR airline, I am looking to book the SFO>HKG flights on the Singapore Premium Economy for most of my Asia travel with the occasional SFO>PVG on United. Then all domestic and EU trips to be books through United.

Would it make sense to sign up with the Singapore awards program? Or suffer through the United awards program until they one day get Premium Economy on these Asia routes? I understand that I would not get any United PQD if I book that Singapore flight. so that is why I am hesitant to choose United initially.

And... If I do choose the Singapore rewards program, would I run into the same issues of having trouble redeeming flights for US domestic and EU flights?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by instantoatemeal
Would it make sense to sign up with the Singapore awards program?
SQ is known to have one of the worst program in *A. Are you so sure this is the right choice?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:43 pm

Switch or Stay?

Just some context before I begin: Currently with Krisflyer. 13,030 miles to silver status by 31 July 2019. Not sure whether I should stay or jump ship (looking seriously at Asiana) as I'm doing 3 major intl' trips next year to CAN (Feb 19), SIN (Aug 19), BNE (SYD, MEL, AKL as well) [Dec 19)

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) YVR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y or X (economy or discount economy)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) <25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) Krisflyer
Good award redemption rates, frequent upgrades on travel, free lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Transpacific, then South-east Asia routes
(7) Preferred Airlines
Out of YVR, EVA Air, but usually aim for cheapest *A member.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Pleasure

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: UNited/ chase UR/ spg/marriot
Help! what's best for US/EU citizen transatlantic and intraeurope?

Long time lurker, first time poster! HELLO TO ALL!
deciding to jump into the miles and credit card game since I've seen that with time+money+work+travel hacking I can end my misery in ECON class.
Half of the year I live in the US (US citizen) and other half I live in London,uk with frequent trips for pleasure to see family or a new city/country. Mainly Poland (KRK,WAW,LCJ) Italy, and soon to add Spain to the mix (madrid,barcelona,malaga)

(1) What is your home airport? LAX/ LONDON
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y or X (economy or discount economy) open to buy IntraEurope BIZ occasionally( to get miles/staus/pts)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50-75K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) not yet; deciding
Good award redemption rates, frequent upgrades on travel, free lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: TRANSALTANTIC 2x-4x/yr and UK.EU.UK
(7) Preferred Airlines: sick of low cost ryaniar/easyjet im ok with Norwegian. but i want to accumulate with any Star Alliance.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? a mix of both.

ive seen Aegean is easiest for Gold status which is something I would ideally strive for to use for transatlantic flights mainly. Lufthansa's M/M reedem/surcharges are too hefty.

However, since im also based in the USA, I was thinking United and/or Avianca combined with the CSR/ink/CFU cards and shopping portal/purchasing LifeMiles would be a good option as well. I am stuck deciding what would be best. Ultimately, my goal is to redeem for a nice LH/LX biz or first class seat once or twice a year whether outright or via upgrade(s) Just to be clear, I would aim to spend around 1200-2000 USD per month on the chase credit cards and then transfer to United if I decided to join them.

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Velocity
Keen to hear everyones thoughts. Not sure if I should start crediting to Asiana?

(1) What is your home airport? SYD (Keen to hear from any other Aussie's chasing Star Gold!
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Premium Economy for work & Economy for holidays
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25K-50K - possibly over 50K this year
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? VA Platinum but keen to drop this down to Gold. Also UA Platinum Premier (to 31 Jan 2019) and NZ Air Points Gold (31 March 2019) - both with a status match.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Free Lounge Access is the big one
(6) Which routes do you fly most often SYD-SIN, SYD-LAX, US Domestic and Flights throughout S-E Asia (China, Thailand, etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines: Singapore Airlines for Asia and NZ across the ditch.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Can choose the airline and can book Premium Y for work and Economy for pleasure
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Morning all!

Firstly thanks for those that have answered questions I have posed in the A3 and TK forums. I have held status with OW (either AA or BA) solidly for the last 10 years. However, for various reasons, I am now looking to change and dive into unchartered (for me) *A waters.

I have narrowed it down to either A3 or TK.

My home airport is London (at this precise moment LHR is easier, but by mid-next year LGW will be easier, but honestly either are doable). I travel all over, and whether business or leisure the funds come out of my pocket.

I usually book a combination of discounted economy and sales fare business. When travelling straight north - south (UK to southern Africa - 3 times a year), I usually just take the cheapest shortest route. When travelling east-west I do try to get a flat bed. And throw in a few European hops during the year.

As far as I can tell, the advantage of A3 is they only require 12k miles to requalify for Gold after the initial qualification (if doing 4 sectors on A3) which is frankly ridiculously low, but I am not complaining. However, I do not know how easy award redemption is with them?

The benefits with TK are that the status lasts for 2 years, allowing for a year of no activity if necessary, or 25k in a year to requalify, which is still not bad at all. They also would early on lower-fare buckets than A3 on the SAA flights LHR-JNB. They have the advantage it seems of being able to upgrade on deeply discounted flights (TK awards only), and their award table seems to be the most competitive of all the *A carriers in terms of number of miles for pure mileage based tickets.

As someone who is new to the world of *A, any advice given as to which way to go from your past experience I would be most grateful.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:51 pm

1) What is your home airport? YVR
2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy with a paid or free upgrade to extra legroom
3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50k on Star Alliance, 10kon non-Star alliance flights
4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? United Gold
5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades (to extra legroom and/or business) and good award redemption
6) Which routes do you fly most often YVR -> SFO, YVR -> EWR, YVR -> Europe, YVR -> Random US city.
7) Preferred Airlines: Tallest midget. On Star I fly 50% AC, 25% UA, 25% LH.
8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work. I have almost complete freedom in choosing flights - however I have a tight budget that I need for other things.

I'm currently with United but debating on whether to switch to Air Canada since I fly 50% AC flights and 25% UA flights. What's holding me back:

A) It seems like AC's plan only makes sense if you purchase Flex fares. Flex fares cost significantly more, you get much of that back (but not all) through cheaper preferred seats (which I purchase anyway).

B) Air Canada upgrades seem like a worse deal (although I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise). I pay $100 more at booking to get into Flex which allows me to use credits to get onto a waiting list where I might need to pay per segment if I get it? It seems much more complicated than UA's system.

C) Switching programs seems like a hassle, with using one number of my bookings and then changing it at the gate. I also have a few hundred thousand UA miles and it's annoying to have multiple programs.

D) Aeroplan seems much worse than UA MP due to fuel surcharges, at least on economy flights (which is what I mostly purchase).

Based on the above, it seems like switching isn't worth it, despite flying AC most of the time. Am I wrong? Happy to hear feedback.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:38 am

Hi,
After many many years of being Solitaire with SQ I have relocated and will fly SQ a lot less going forward. Should I stick to SQ or should I consider another *A program?
Same question for OW. The Qatar program now totally sucks so I want to move away from it. Thinking of AA or Finnair Plus, please advise.
For Skyteam I am satisfied with FB so that one I keep.

(1) What is your home airport? BKK
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Mostly C, occasionally F
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (>50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? FB Platinum, Krisflyer Gold, Qatar Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good earning and redemption rates, booking award travel online.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Longhaul anywhere, shorthaul within Asia and Europe. Flying mostly Skyteam and *A. OW occasionally only.
(7) Preferred Airlines QR, TG, OS, LX, KL, TG, AY, LH, TK, ET, BR, PG, KE, OZ, NH, JL, GA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure. Free to choose how to fly.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.) - YYZ
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) - Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) - In 2018, about 60k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) - Air Canada Altitude e50K (Star Alliance Gold)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) - Frequent upgrades on travel and priority services
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) - Canada to Africa, Middle East and India
(7) Preferred Airlines - Turkish Airlines, Lufthansa and outside of Star Alliance: Emirates
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) - Work, so always Economy.

I fly out of YYZ and my work requires me to make 4 to 5 long-haul round trips per year from Canada, mainly to India, the Middle East and Africa. Once I am in those regions, I often do multiple regional flights as well from city to city and while I always try and fly Star Alliance partners in those regions, I also find myself frequently on Jet Airways flights (in India) and Emirates flights (within the Middle East). I just hit e50K/Star Alliance Gold for 2019.

I am considering requesting a status match and shifting loyalty to a different carrier that a) has a better Economy product than Air Canada b) Has a much better prospect for upgrades as Air Canada's program is awfully restrictive in upgrading economy passengers and c) provides good coverage in their route network for the regions I travel to - right now, the smart option looks like Turkish but open to all of your advice please, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.