Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 3:29 pm

Checked Baggage connection time T4S to T4 - 3 hours OK?

Two seniors flying Business class AA 94 JFK-MAD, land at 8:25 T4S with checked luggage
Connecting flight IB8698 at 11:25 from T4, separate ticket.
Q: Is 3 hours enough time?

They want to make sure this is enough time to collect bags and go back through security and get to gate.

How long should they expect process to take to collect bags and check back in, go back through security?
Do they exit airport and come back in or is there escalator/elevator to bring them up to departure, or process to re-check in bags on IB?
Anything else to know like length of walks from AA gate in T4S to lifts to passport and train?
As OneWorld Emerald hoping they have fast pass/fast access through Security?
Any other advice?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by bdsklar
Two seniors flying Business class AA 94 JFK-MAD, land at 8:25 T4S with checked luggage
Yes, it should be.

They want to make sure this is enough time to collect bags and go back through security and get to gate.

How long should they expect process to take to collect bags and check back in, go back through security?
Assume an hour to get the bags and then go upstairs to check them in.
Do they exit airport and come back in or is there escalator/elevator to bring them up to departure, or process to re-check in bags on IB?
They get the bags, go through customs, then go up the escalator/elevator (without exiting the terminal) to departures, check the bags in again and go to departures.

Anything else to know like length of walks from AA gate in T4S to lifts to passport and train?
There is no "AA gate." It's whatever gate AA gets. in T4S. There will be a walk to the train, then a train ride to T4 and then baggage collection. The walks can take a bit of time, but since they're checking bags, this shouldn't be an issue.

Security lines are typically not super long.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by bdsklar

Any other advice?

Thanks!
My take is it should be fine (obviously assuming no delays). There is a bit of a walk from the gate. It's true there's no AA gate but there is a group of gates that AA uses and they're next to each other at the far south end of T4S. After passport control they should take the lift down (word of advice for MAD is generally the lift is better than escalators) to the train and then back up to baggage claim at T4S.

Getting the luggage is very likely to be the limiting step here. Once they have their baggage they go out into the landside area and either take the moving ramp or lift up to the top floor and check in again. Business desks are to the right of the main check-in area and then if they are emerald should have access to the fast track security to the right of main security. (if going from Business desks, you see it first). I'd say likely they even have time for a nice breakfast in the lounge. They should find it easily as it's bright red and visible right after leaving fast track security (though you have to walk around a small bridge.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
QR149 DOH-MAD arriving T4S at 14:35
IB3094 MAD-OPO departing T4 15:40
Flights are on a single ticket.

With a connection of merely 1h 5m, do you recommend that I not check in any bags? (My stuff will total just 5-7Kg, so it's a viable option)
In your recent experience, how long does it take to get from T4S and T4 in the afternoon?
Old May 22, 2023, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by hightide
QR149 DOH-MAD arriving T4S at 14:35
IB3094 MAD-OPO departing T4 15:40
Flights are on a single ticket.

With a connection of merely 1h 5m, do you recommend that I not check in any bags? (My stuff will total just 5-7Kg, so it's a viable option)
In your recent experience, how long does it take to get from T4S and T4 in the afternoon?
It's possible but very tight with hand luggage only. Basically impossible with checked luggage. Should take 15-20 minutes to get to T4S but will depend a lot on if you have an EU passport and if not how the lines are.
hightide likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:57 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
It's possible but very tight with hand luggage only. Basically impossible with checked luggage. Should take 15-20 minutes to get to T4S but will depend a lot on if you have an EU passport and if not how the lines are.
Thanks for your input -- I will stick with hand luggage only then.
Out of curiosity, on a single ticket in my case, do check-in baggages need to be picked up at MAD and rechecked-in again?
Old May 22, 2023, 2:36 am

Ahh, sorry, I had understood "not on a single ticket"

If it's a single ticket you're fine either way. No, you wouldn't need to pick up luggage, it would go straight through to OPO. The baggage claim process itself takes forever.

That said, as it's a tight connection don't leave anything essential or anything that will spoil in the heat in your bag as it might miss, but they'll get it too you pretty quick in that case as there are several OPO flights per day.
hightide likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
I have a 1-hour connection through MAD on a single ticket IB (JFK-MAD-LIS). US passports. Any tips for making the connection easier given the quick turnaround? I've heard, for example, that there may be e-gates available for US passports.
Old May 23, 2023, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Artagnan
I have a 1-hour connection through MAD on a single ticket IB (JFK-MAD-LIS). US passports. Any tips for making the connection easier given the quick turnaround? I've heard, for example, that there may be e-gates available for US passports.
You heard incorrectly.

The main tip I give people is to use the lift/elevator rather than the escalators after passport control down to the train and the same after the train up to transfer security. (stay by the door closest to where you get down from the lift into the train) It can easily be the difference between catching a train to T4 from T4S and missing one and adding a few minutes.

There is also an express connections line for non-Europeans to get to passport control faster, if you show them your LIS boarding pass and don't have much time it should be fine.

All of that said, the US flights usually arrive early so you'll probably have even more time and it's not really that tight of a connection on a single ticket.
asnovici, hightide and csycsycsy like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: Free agent
I've done many T4/T4S connections on separate tickets at MAD with no issues but I am not facing a T4 to T1. We will be flying from the US to Madrid landing at 9:35am and have a connection on Turkish to Istanbul at 11:50am. We'll be flying business on US-MAD and coach on TK if that matters. All hand luggage.

We're all young and can hustle, are we at the mercy of an on-call bus here?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:32 pm

Well, with US passports you can go all the way landside and then take the regular shuttle over to T1, but it seems that the on-demand bus is actually reasonably signed now. I'd say it's still likely to be fastest given you don't have to do passport control on either side and transit security at T1 will be much lighter than regular security, plus you don't have to deal with getting around on the M13 to get over there.

These are the signs you're after right before getting to the manned immigration lines (so non-EU line). It takes you down to the immigration posts for people coming off of hard stands where you can pick the bus.

All in all a pain, but seems pretty comparable to an inter-terminal connection at LHR.

Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:17 pm

MAD to OPO - connection time

Hi All,
I will be flying from JFK to OPO via MAD on Iberia. I have a 1.5 hour layover. Is this enough time to clear passport control/ security to make the connecting flight? The overnight flight from JFK will arrive at Terminal 4S and depart to Porto from Terminal 4. Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
1.5 hours is tight but doable, assuming it's all on one ticket. You will go through passport control in T4S, then take the train to T4, then go through security there and on to your gate. I've done it before in less than 45 min, but YMMV with crowds/lines/... You don't have time to do any shopping/stop anywhere.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:54 am

I'd disagree and say you should have some extra time assuming you go quick. On top of that, JFK flights tend to arrive pretty early
Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:32 am

So I had a hard stand yesterday at T4S so was finally able to get a photo of the bus stop for the non-Schengen terminal transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.