Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:06 am

That is a fantastic idea - I've got silver status on BAEC so maybe if I ask nicely lol
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by csycsycsy
If they have access to Iberia lounge (dali) they could store it there...
I always try to avoid leaving luggage unattended in Spain, but I guess that's because of my 1990s memories, when storing luggage in Spain was so difficult due to ETA bombings
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:45 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by jasonuk1
That is a fantastic idea - I've got silver status on BAEC so maybe if I ask nicely lol
There are lockers inside the lounge, it won't be a bother.
Over on BA, some advise against doing this in LHR Leave hand baggage in the CCR and exit T5?
But that's mostly conformance and not security of leaving things behind.

On entry to Dali, staff might direct you to the post-passport Velasquez.
If you are too honest, they might have a problem with the plan - both the lounge before going out of airport, even though by the book it's allowed, and the leaving luggage behind.
You can say you want to take a rest before going to passport control etc, so not a full lie.
jasonuk1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
I always try to avoid leaving luggage unattended in Spain, but I guess that's because of my 1990s memories, when storing luggage in Spain was so difficult due to ETA bombings
Perhaps the items being stored having already been security scanned might lower the perceived risk level. OP could be 100% honest with the Dali staff but may be met with a no.

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Due to the Canary Islands' special tax status, you have to go through customs on arrival to the Spanish mainland as well (red or green channel, not the blue EU arrivals channel).
Interesting, so if OP did bring taxable goods from Canary Islands, but had those stored in the IB lounge before going through customs, which lane should they go through?
jasonuk1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:21 am

Perhaps the items being stored having already been security scanned might lower the perceived risk level. OP could be 100% honest with the Dali staff but may be met with a no.

True given it's airside. I always pack minimal hand luggage so I don't mind carrying them through MAD.

Interesting, so if OP did bring taxable goods from Canary Islands, but had those stored in the IB lounge before going through customs, which lane should they go through?
I would personally go through red lane and declare it as unlikely to go over my limit. I always prefer to be honest, I'm a terrible bluffer.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:58 am

If the lounge plan doesn't work, MAD has luggage storage.
tom tulpe and jasonuk1 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Yllanes
If the lounge plan doesn't work, MAD has luggage storage.
Yeah, I really do seem to live in the 90s. I didn't even check last times I went through MAD, I just assumed there wouldn't be any.
jasonuk1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:03 am

Red channel (importing into mainland Spain, and at the same time into the common market), and then discuss transit of goods with the customs officer, i.e. immediate export to the UK, w/o TIR or ATA registration (not that TIR would be applicable for air travellers anyway). Big pinky promise not to leave any of the taxable items behind in Spain would be the least of the requirements I think .
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Connect at MAD from Air Europa or Iberia to American Airlines, separate tickets?

Considering the following itinerary on separate tickets, no checked baggage.

First ticket:

8:35 AM – 9:45 AM
Air Europa
Operated by Air Europa Express
AGP–MAD

or alternatively:

9:10 AM – 10:25 AM
Iberia Express
1 hr 15 min
AGP–MAD

I'd be connecting to this flight, separately ticketed, on AA MAD-PHL:

11:45 AM – 1:45 PM
American
8 hr
MAD–PHL

My experience of a similar separate ticket connection at MAD is that it was rather nightmarish (LIS-MAD / MAD-JFK) going from T4 to T4S.

IB seems to be in T4 and Air Europa seems to be in T1.

I'm leaning towards Iberia because I have BA Gold status

The Air Europa flight is a longer connection time but I believe it's a budget airline and I have no idea what it'd be like.

What do people think?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Considering the following itinerary on separate tickets, no checked baggage.

First ticket:

8:35 AM – 9:45 AM
Air Europa
Operated by Air Europa Express
AGP–MAD

or alternatively:

9:10 AM – 10:25 AM
Iberia Express
1 hr 15 min
AGP–MAD

I'd be connecting to this flight, separately ticketed, on AA MAD-PHL:

11:45 AM – 1:45 PM
American
8 hr
MAD–PHL

My experience of a similar separate ticket connection at MAD is that it was rather nightmarish (LIS-MAD / MAD-JFK) going from T4 to T4S.

IB seems to be in T4 and Air Europa seems to be in T1.

I'm leaning towards Iberia because I have BA Gold status

The Air Europa flight is a longer connection time but I believe it's a budget airline and I have no idea what it'd be like.

What do people think?
Well, either method you will still need to do the "nightmarish" T4-T4S?
UX: 5min to get to gate, 10min to get to the air side bus, average 5min bus wait, 15min bus ride, 5min to get to T4 security, 5min T4security; so the UX0945 = 1030 inside T4; vs IBX1025 inside T4 (no need for further security upon landing T4)
What if your OLCI for AA failed though?
salut0 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Neither of these would be acceptable to me.

To do T1/2/3 (UX could be at any of them) you will have to go fully landside and reclear security again to get into T4 main and then transit to T4S.

landing on Iberia Express would mean starting airside at T4 main, so if I have to choose between these two, go with the Iberia Express one.

That said, I'd train/fly in the night before if you can't get any earlier flight. There's not a lot of margin there.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Not sure why LIS-MAD // MAD-... (T4>T4S) was nightmarish, but you'll have to do the same here.

Take the train the night before.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:33 pm

Connect T4S Schnegen to T4S International

I'm looking at flights from VIE connecting through MAD to an international destination, with a 50 minute connection (one ticket). First flight (IB3121 VIE-MAD) operated by Iberia and the international flight operated by Air Nostrum. IB3121 appears to disembark in T4S Schnegen regularly.

1) I understand T4 to T4S is tight with 50 mins, but if my first flight is arriving in T4S Schnegen, is it doable?

2) Where would I clear exit controls? How would I reach the international area if arriving T4S Schnegen?

I did a search and didn't find any clear info on T4S Schnegen to T4S International.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by kilo4ord
I'm looking at flights from VIE connecting through MAD to an international destination, with a 50 minute connection (one ticket). First flight (IB3121 VIE-MAD) operated by Iberia and the international flight operated by Air Nostrum. IB3121 appears to disembark in T4S Schnegen regularly.

1) I understand T4 to T4S is tight with 50 mins, but if my first flight is arriving in T4S Schnegen, is it doable?

2) Where would I clear exit controls? How would I reach the international area if arriving T4S Schnegen?

I did a search and didn't find any clear info on T4S Schnegen to T4S International.
"International" is not useful, it's Schengen or not.
Is your MAD-Intl (Air Nostrum) to a Schengen country (France) or not (Morocco)?
Exit/passport control for the latter but not former.

The vast majority of domestic and Schengen flights arrive/depart at T4 main terminal.
There is a shuttle-train that connects T4 main terminal and the T4 satellite terminal.
At the T4 satellite terminal, there is an area for non Schengen flights (the S gates) and Schengen flights (the M gates).
It's not predictable whether a domestic/Schengen flight will depart from T4 or T4M, most will be T4.

So you have 6 scenarios:
- Arriving from VIE at T4, departing to Schengen from T4
easy, same building, no security/passport control
- Arriving from VIE at T4, departing to Schengen from T4M
From T4, take the train to T4 satellite, go to M gates (no security/passport)
- Arriving from VIE at T4, departing to non-Schengen from T4S
From T4, take the train to T4 satellite, go through passport then to S gates
- Arriving from VIE at T4M, departing to Schengen from T4
take the train from T4 satellite, security control, T4 gates
- Arriving from VIE at T4M, departing to Schengen from T4M
easy, same building-area no security/passport control
- Arriving from VIE at T4M, departing to non-Schengen from T4S
same building, follow signs to S gates, first going through passport control.

Last edited by csycsycsy; Mar 26, 2024 at 2:32 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I recently flew from T1 and it felt like the most regional of regional airports.

I need to book flights for someone and one of the options is a 3.5hr layover in MAD, albeit both inbound and outbound flights are listed as T2. Is T2 better than T1 in terms of more food & drink options, shops, etc.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.