BCN Barcelona flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BCN Barcelona flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by seachelle
Hello, I have a MAD-BCN-SFO Iberia reservation. Our last leg (BCN-SFO) is a Level flight operated by Iberia. We got notice the Level flight time was moved up, leaving us with just 1 hour and 25 minutes to connect in BCN for our US-bound flight. I believe both flights at BCN will be in Terminal 1. Is that short connection time feasible?
Some data to help you decide:

The good news is that you do not have to clear security again: arriving from MAD you'll be dropped in the general "airside" (departure) area. But you will have to clear passport control to go from the Schengen to the non-Schengen departure area.

Bad news: MAD flights normally use the lower A gates, a long walk (about 700 metres) from the central area where you need to go up one level to passport control and the D/E gates for your SFO flight.(The walk from passport control to your gate can be between 50 and about 700 metres...)
Also, you'll be using the same passport control area as departing passengers (from BCN), not a transit area. (I have not seen any extremely long queues there lately, but maybe someone else can confirm- I only see them from a distance when going to the lounge.)

Of course, if you're OK with spending an extra day in Barcelona paid by Level, do not worry too much ;-)
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Koby
Some data to help you decide:

The good news is that you do not have to clear security again: arriving from MAD you'll be dropped in the general "airside" (departure) area. But you will have to clear passport control to go from the Schengen to the non-Schengen departure area.

Bad news: MAD flights normally use the lower A gates, a long walk (about 700 metres) from the central area where you need to go up one level to passport control and the D/E gates for your SFO flight.(The walk from passport control to your gate can be between 50 and about 700 metres...)
Also, you'll be using the same passport control area as departing passengers (from BCN), not a transit area. (I have not seen any extremely long queues there lately, but maybe someone else can confirm- I only see them from a distance when going to the lounge.)

Of course, if you're OK with spending an extra day in Barcelona paid by Level, do not worry too much ;-)
Thank you! I just called Iberia and the rep repeatedly stated that the connection time should be fine. With both of your feedback, it sounds like there is a reasonable chance of making the connection, so we will just go with it. We also have travel insurance that covers missed connections, so we should be ok just in case. Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Thank you! I just called Iberia and the rep repeatedly stated that the connection time should be fine. With both of your feedback, it sounds like there is a reasonable chance of making the connection, so we will just go with it. We also have travel insurance that covers missed connections, so we should be ok just in case. Thanks!
It-s an ex-EU flight on an EU airline - if you miss your BCN connection for basically any reason other than no-showing at MAD or not having the correct paperwork to enter the U.S., the airline will take care of you (rebooking, hotel, expenses). Whether you also get a cash compensation depends on why you missed the connection.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
It-s an ex-EU flight on an EU airline - if you miss your BCN connection for basically any reason other than no-showing at MAD or not having the correct paperwork to enter the U.S., the airline will take care of you (rebooking, hotel, expenses). Whether you also get a cash compensation depends on why you missed the connection.
Thanks for the reminder! I love that EU rule protecting passengers. That helps soothe the risk even more. We love Barcelona and would happily be stranded there overnight if necessary.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
We love Barcelona and would happily be stranded there overnight if necessary.
Iberia know some pretty awful places around MAD... Don't ask me how I know. I suppose BCN is the same.
But they did pay for dinner, bed and breakfast.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Is IST - BCN - YYZ (Turkish and Air Canada) a simple Terminal 1 to Terminal 1 connection? What is the process for customs/immigration/bag connections for this? Is going through security checkpoint required?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:39 am

Yes, both airlines uses T1. You will have to stay in the non-Schengen area (D/E gates), after going through security. D/E is not the main area of the airport, and the choice of bars, restaurants and shops is limited there.
No immigration / customs check, and baggage will be sent straight to YYZ (assuming this is on one ticket).

Depending on your nationality and how much time you have, you could try to go to the main area (A/B/C gates), through immigration, by following the A/B/C gates connection route, then go back through immigration later to get to your departure gate. But I am not sure if they will let you through.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Due to be flying into BCN T1 on Turkish Airlines. Originally on a cruise from Barcelona after but it's been cancelled. Thinking of just flying straight back to the UK on BA. Will the airside connection route be open at about 6pm?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Single ticket ord-bcn AA bcn to seville Veluling in early May. Carryon only ..at least for the AA flight..95 minute connection. Is there a terminal change?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Single ticket ord-bcn AA bcn to seville Veluling in early May. Carryon only ..at least for the AA flight..95 minute connection. Is there a terminal change?
No, AA and Vueling both use terminal 1.
Follow the connections route (through security and passport control) to the A/B/C gates area.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the MCT for LH-Group airlines at BCN; e.g. LH>LX, LH>LH or LX-LX; OS>LX?
Immigration should not be an issue, as it is within Schengen. Does one have to reclear securities?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
What is the MCT for LH-Group airlines at BCN; e.g. LH>LX, LH>LH or LX-LX; OS>LX?
Immigration should not be an issue, as it is within Schengen. Does one have to reclear securities?
I doubt that there even is one (officially), since BCN is not a hub for them.
But you'll need maximum 10 minutes (for a good walker) to get to your next gate, and no security in between. (Also, the gates that the LH group uses are more or less grouped together, in my experience.)
cesco.g likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koby
I doubt that there even is one (officially), since BCN is not a hub for them.
But you'll need maximum 10 minutes (for a good walker) to get to your next gate, and no security in between. (Also, the gates that the LH group uses are more or less grouped together, in my experience.)
So it seems, a 45 min connection (OS>LH, no luggage) would be doable, assuming no inbound flight delay then.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
So it seems, a 45 min connection (OS>LH, no luggage) would be doable, assuming no inbound flight delay then.
Yes, no problem. (With a bit of luck you'll simply have to walk to the gate next to the one where you arrive... )

Just know that in case of irregularities with the 2nd flight (cancellation for instance), and you cannot solve them online or by phone, you will have to leave airside to talk to someone of LH. There is no transfer desk for LH group companies airside.
cesco.g likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.